AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-08-10, 07:25   Link #101
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Except, of course, the fact that he seems to have ditched Thorfinn, which is something I did not think he'd do.
I think he did the best he could. Considering that what Thorfinn did is something punishable with death.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 02:11   Link #102
Nerroth
NePoi!

When I first heard about this manga, I was hoping that it would have something to do with Leifr Eiríksson's voyages across the North Atlantic - most notably to 'Vinland' (which many argue is the area in and around the archaeological site at L'Anse aux Meadows, on the island of Newfoundland).

It's kind of a surprise to hear it's about young Cnut instead, though.

However, has there been any hints at the Vinland expedition in the story so far?
Old 2009-10-01, 09:39   Link #103
gencbiba

Didn't they talk about "Vinland" during the flashback of Thorfinn's life?...

I hope they don't decide to do that though. I'd rather read a completely false story of Thorfinn growing up to own everything in his path. That would be more interesting.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 10:33   Link #104
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
When I first heard about this manga, I was hoping that it would have something to do with Leifr Eiríksson's voyages across the North Atlantic - most notably to 'Vinland' (which many argue is the area in and around the archaeological site at L'Anse aux Meadows, on the island of Newfoundland).

However, has there been any hints at the Vinland expedition in the story so far?
Isn't the old bald guy that is looking for Thorfinn on the slave markets a relative of Leiff or even Leiff himself?
signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 11:05   Link #105
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Yup, the old man is Leif Eiriksson himslef. If you reread from chapter 2, you will see him telling tales to Thorfinn and the other icelandic childrens.

IIRC, he tells them how it is a bountyfull land, he describes the "Skraeglings" and even show's them one of their feather headdress.

In the story, he is a Greenlander, who regularly travels to Iceland, England and Denmark. In the beginning of the story he was on his way to trade greenland's wool for some wine (in order for the greenlander community to celebrate christmas properly). Later he is shown repeatedly searching for Thorfinn while going on his business trips.

If I am not mistaken, the settlement form l'Anse au Meadow was created not by old man Leif but by other greenlanders, among them his sister and Thorfinn Karlsefni. Leif settlements were most likely only temporary ones (as he was exploring a very large area, and had to pass winter there before going back home to Greenland), unlike l'Anse au Meadow which accomodated more than a hundred of people (a considerable fraction of the greenlander community).

My guess is that at some point, Thorfinn will go back to Iceland, but will pursue his way west to Greenland and Vinland. Notice that like his father he went trough being a fearsome warrior to a peaceful (albeit broken) farmer.

I am sure that the latter skills will prove capital for the establishment of a vinland settlement.
Old 2009-10-01, 20:56   Link #106
Valerian Mengsk

chp. 57

Next month's issue promises to be pretty good.

Spoiler for chapter 57:

Oh, and cool post JMvS, that is really interesting.
Valerian Mengsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 22:42   Link #107
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post

Your hopes will probably be answered. Everything up to about chapter 55 was the prologue just to install Cnut to the Danish throne. After this, it should be mostly Thorfinn and his journey to Vinland.

Spoiler for Prologue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba View Post
Didn't they talk about "Vinland" during the flashback of Thorfinn's life?...

I hope they don't decide to do that though. I'd rather read a completely false story of Thorfinn growing up to own everything in his path. That would be more interesting.
That's Leif Eriksson's voyage. Thorfinn Karlsefni later made another, more permanent settlement (Wikipedia's source says his group stayed for three years, as opposed to Eriksson, who stayed for only one winter). The historical Thorfinn had a child there, supposedly the first European child born in the New World.

Last edited by Claies; 2009-10-01 at 23:02.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 09:28   Link #108
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerian Mengsk View Post
Next month's issue promises to be pretty good.

Spoiler for chapter 57:

Oh, and cool post JMvS, that is really interesting.
Spoiler for new chapter:

I'm just happy for more chapters. :P
Old 2009-10-02, 12:44   Link #109
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post

Spoiler for Prologue:

BTW, I really liked how the author explored all the details as he made his characterization.
At first I thought he had a random fantasy outfit, but it's only later that I realized that all in his outfit and mannerism were linked to his origins.
Spoiler for description:
Old 2009-10-02, 12:53   Link #110
Lostdreams

I laugh at the thought of the young master trying to kill Thorfinn. Noob's probably gonna get killed.
Lostdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 12:58   Link #111
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
I laugh at the thought of the young master trying to kill Thorfinn. Noob's probably gonna get killed.
Nah I think he'll get a few broken limbs. If Thorfinn defend himself with a stick that is.
Old 2009-10-02, 13:12   Link #112
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
BTW, I really liked how the author explored all the details as he made his characterization.
At first I thought he had a random fantasy outfit, but it's only later that I realized that all in his outfit and mannerism were linked to his origins.
Spoiler for description:
Whoa, I actually did not notice the Roman link. That makes a lot of sense. I thought he avoided dressing himself nicely like the rest of the court to represent his namesake as a very intelligent man, but always looking down in ashes.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 19:21   Link #113
Nerroth
NePoi!

Thanks for the feedback - I really hope this series gets picked up by someone for Western distrubution...

...and that it really will take us to Vinland!

(It would be interesting to see how the story will represent the 'Skrćlings' they would meet while there.)
Old 2009-10-29, 00:36   Link #114
gencbiba

Interesting...

So does Thorfinn plan to just give up? Maybe something will happen to make him wake up.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
Old 2009-10-29, 11:12   Link #115
signorRossi

Quote:
Interesting...

So does Thorfinn plan to just give up? Maybe something will happen to make him wake up.
New chapter is out today, so you can see what happens...
Old 2009-10-29, 12:00   Link #116
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Maaaaaan...Now I just want the next chapter even more!
Old 2009-10-29, 12:52   Link #117
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
Maaaaaan...Now I just want the next chapter even more!
seriously, god I love this series, art is so good. I'm dying inbetween chapters.
Old 2009-10-30, 23:44   Link #118
gencbiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorRossi View Post
New chapter is out today, so you can see what happens...
I already read it when I made that post. I'm talking about the upcoming chapter, because it seems like he wants to give up his life.

Old 2009-10-31, 11:17   Link #119
signorRossi

Quote:
I already read it when I made that post. I'm talking about the upcoming chapter, because it seems like he wants to give up his life.
but then his warrior reflexes come out...
Old 2009-10-31, 21:17   Link #120
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Nah I think the kid Orman will be too terrified by his absolute lack of concern to do a thing.

Tags
historical