AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-08-11, 23:29   Link #1
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

[GSD] Top 3-5 Best and Worst executed episodes...

I think you can learn alot about a person by what episodes they loved the best or hated the worse...What episodes they thought had great execution in it's message and what episode made their heads shake in WTFness...I'm not asking you to bash, but more or less give somewhat of an analytical approach to what episodes you felt achieved and executed it's potential and which ones were the exact opposite of that lacking the important elements you cherish the most...

While I'd like to hear some really deep reasonings for the what's and why's I know some people will only want to briefly list their best and worst so I guess that's fine however I'd like to know the reason behind your feelings concearning the eps you choose if at all possible...You must list a minimum of 3eps for each categorey...

I will shortly return with my own top 3-5 best and worst excuted episodes as I sit and think this out a bit more...So have at it and let's attempt at having a good discussion that doesn't degenerate in usual fashion....
Old 2006-08-11, 23:48   Link #2
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Best 3:

Ep39
Why: coz its the first appearance of SF and claims ownership over all the grunts that appeared in that episode. Mecha fanboyism 4tw here.

Ep42
Why: Destiny Vs Strike Freedom. One of the most anticipated rematches, however came up a lil short, I still thought it was pretty good.

Ep42 (?)
Why: Introduction to the other strength, ∞ Justice Gundam. Also shows how powerful Athrun really is when he's in his true self and how Destiny got bought, pwned and sold by him.

Worst 3:
Ep50
Why: This is probably one of the most poorly executed 'endings', IMO. There was little struggle, unlike in SEED, there was struggle present. The good guys just laughed at their enemies and this, no desperation at all. It was also very predictable. I wasn't very entertained T_T

All the other recap episodes about SEED
Why: Because if I wanted to watch SEED again, I'd watch that. But seriously, we dont need reminders every 5-10 episodes of people who died 2345234523456 episodes before. There are even characters we've seen more in flashbacks than we've seen them alive.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 00:05   Link #3
grandmaster192
Zechs, pilot of Tallgeese

the good episodes

episode 38:
Why? Because the Destiny was owning those Destroys. It shown how strong Shinn had become. And it looked cool seeing him yrash stuff with his big sword. He made a fool out of those gundams.

Episode 42:
Why: because Kira and Shinn the two best pilots in the show got to fight 1 on 1 in there new gundams. The battle pretty cool as they both went blow for blow ending the battle in a stand still. This was the best battle in the show.

the Bad.
Episode 50.
it was lame. boring. nothing good about it exept seeing the Destiny go down like a true fighter.

Episode49.
Those things IJ and SF use are stupid. I want to see good action. not that shit.

Final Plus.
lame. Atleast I got to see the Destiny sit on the moon with his sword by him. that looked badass.

meh. I have more.
grandmaster192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 00:19   Link #4
4Tran

I posted this a long time ago, and my feelings are completely unchanged:

Favorite Episodes
Episode 6
The closing scene has the image of Junius 7 falling with Kira in the foreground. This is easily my favorite visual imagery in all of Gundam - sometimes, a picture really can say a thousand words.

Episode 26
The irony of Lacus pretending to be Meer pretending to be Lacus is simply too much to resist. I especially liked the fact that they didn't take themselves all that seriously in this episode.

Episode 36
Athrun's desperate appeal to Meer and her subsequent rejection make for great drama. Add Meer's insistence that she was Lacus, and it turned her from a throwaway character to one that is all too easy to relate to.

Episode 44
Lacus' speech is simply one of the best ones I have encountered in anime. Unlike most great speeches, it didn't dwell on convoluted logic or dramatic dialogue to deliver its impact. Instead it simply raised questions and instilled the seed of doubt. I really wish that more shows would emulate this kind of writing.

Episode 45
For me, Cagalli's removal of her ring culminated her character arc. This was the point that she understood the sacrifices she need to make in order to fulfill her duty. In my mind, this makes up for all of the stupid things she did, and turns her from a useless puppet into a potentially great leader.

Episode 47
"Meer" is simply a great character study. Even though the new animation was minimal and it covered much the same events we already witnessed, it provided the kind of insight into a character rarely seen in a Gundam show. As an added bonus, it also told us a lot about Lacus as well. A most unGundam episode, but very well done nonetheless.

I tend to like focusing on the positives, and I'm not obsessive (masochistic?) enough to dwell on what I didn't like the most.
Old 2006-08-12, 00:22   Link #5
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Phase 39

I'm a Kira fanboy, so sue me. I've watched Phase 39 like 20 times now.

Final Plus

The destined showdown between Gilbert and Kira after god knows how many years of indirect failed confrontations, and Shinn's character add-on. Plus Shinn shaking hands with Kira.

FATES, PAST, MEER

I've always been a big fan of story mechanics told in the form of narrations, and GSD in my opinion has the best recap episodes EVER.

Bad.......I don't think I've got any that I would go to the extent of calling it bad. Probably the Lohengrin Gate series of episodes and the battle of the Indian Ocean. It felt more like model pimping episodes.

@wd, Okay...give me several hours to post my opinions of the well executed and executed not so well. I've got several papers of exams to work on now.

Last edited by Nightengale; 2006-08-12 at 00:36.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 00:25   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tran
I tend to like focusing on the positives, and I'm not obsessive (masochistic?) enough to dwell on what I didn't like the most.
*pokes out chest*

I obviously am...

Like I said you don't have to bash, but listing the episodes you think were the worse excuted kinda gets us into your mind a little...Your mode of thinking for what brings you to the conclusion an episode is badly executed...I think it might make people understand each others tastes better...

@Nightengale - You don't think any episode was badly excuted? I had certain members in mind when I made this thread...And here I thought you would be one of the better analysts in this thread (I mean I thought for sure you'd say more)...Very Well...

And remember folks this isn't necessarily your favorite episode as much is the best achieved episodes in your estimation (Eps that had good-flow, explained itself clearly, left you fulfilled in certain story aspects, etc.,)...I'd like this thread to be a little deeper than I'm a fanboy, so I liked episode A, B, C...
Old 2006-08-12, 00:34   Link #7
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Phase 39

I'm a Kira fanboy, so sue me. I've watched Phase 39 like 20 times now.
< watched it (X)20(A) times too
Old 2006-08-12, 00:38   Link #8
grandmaster192

I can't really blame you guys. I watched episode 38 so many times. I love seeing Shinn rip apart those Destroy's.
Old 2006-08-12, 00:45   Link #9
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Like I said you don't have to bash, but listing the episodes you think were the worse excuted kinda gets us into your mind a little...Your mode of thinking for what brings you to the conclusion an episode is badly executed...I think it might make people understand each others tastes better...
As I said, I find it too obsessive to categorize the stuff I don't like in that kind of manner. If you must put me down for something, put me down for the episodes covered in Destiny Special Edition II. They're not necessarily bad episodes, but they also tend not to attract my attention all that much either. Or you can put me down for just about any of the action episodes. After seeing a bit more of SDF Macross, Gundam action sequences seem a lot less effective in comparison.
Old 2006-08-12, 00:49   Link #10
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
BEST

ep 1

Why: Athrun could kick as much @$$ as he could without resorting to spambot or plot hole armor technology using a much "inferior" suit in comparison to the Gundam. It shows how Athrun is in some way deserving of the top CE pilot spot more than Kira, because he not only specializes in Gundams, but also inferior suits; a true case of man making the machine.

I forgot which ep...

Why: This was the Break The World ep; it shows how veterans from the last war don't need no Gundams in order to shine. Team Zala (minus Nicol) FTW! As attested by Athrun in the first ep, Yzak and Dearka are quite good pilots on their own right without having to resort to Gundams. It is a fact that is sadly shafted in the succeeding chapters that reflect on Kira and his seeming over dependence on Freedom...

I forgot which ep again...18? 19?

Why: Athrun bitchslaps Shinn and Shinn learns to respect Athrun for who he is, not because he's just some random ace from the last war. Yes, Shinn still needs to be house trained. LOL! Shinn gets a wakeup call from Athrun, and starts to put his mind on the right track a bit (but he's still Shinn; he didn't magically change into somebody else). The beginning of the wonderful teacher mentor relationship of these 2 characters.

ep 27? 28?

Why: Kira learns that "grunts" could also SEED. What a nasty shock he got! Kira learns the hard way that not all "grunts" are easy spambot targets. Shinn definitely makes his own mark against the legendary Kira Yamato as a pilot that could easily outdo him, if he's not careful enough.

ep 34-35?

Why: Even GODS get Freedomed. And it's at par with the Kira Athrun fight in SEED as being the most emotionally charged scene ever. Wait, Shinn wasn't screaming, he was just methodologically dismembering Freedom by calmly requesting Meyrin for Silhouette spare parts to replace the ones Freedom has destroyed...it was Athrun who was screaming... Shinn shows how dedication and perseverance actually makes for something inthe CE universe...and how Kira's overused "aim for the head or random MS limb" tactic almost cost him his life.

I forgot which ep again!

Why: Athrun with all the bandages does not mean Athrun couldn't hold on his own against Legend and Destiny. Athrun's the man that makes the machine.

WORST

ep 13

Why: We suddenly learn that Haros have built-in security technology, that Freedom was, in fact, repaired and intact after the last war, and after concluding that the assassins were "Coordinators" Dully was somehow involved in the Lacus assassination attempt. The re-flight of Freedom looks like more doom is yet to come for the main hero...aside from kicking the new cast out of the spotlight, we get a taste of how Kira and Lacus deal with this nasty situation by deciding to join the war again.

ep 23? 24?

Why: Freedom pwns all again. Whatever logic you have, it still says that Freedom is the best solution for war and its many hated brethren. It was the death knell for all the new cast members, as the old cast members are now pushed back into the spotlight most abruptly. Also, the start of the Kira "no kill policy myth".

ep 34? 35?

Why: Because it killed Shinn's character somewhat. Kira "wasn't 100% focused, didn't want to kill Shinn, etc., etc." goes against Shinn's superb Freedoming of the Freedom. And besides, Kira pulls his plot hole armor into effect again. All of Shinn's good efforts into becoming a respected pilot of the CE all just horribly blown away.

ep 36

Why: Mindraping finally comes to a stunning conclusion. Shinn stabs down the only link he has for a brighter future. Ungrateful Padawan. Thanks to Dully's Sith techniques, and his own Padawan Rey's own techniques, Shinn has finally joined the Dark Side.

I forgot which ep...

Why: All respect I had for the Strike Kira tandem finally goes down the drain. Then, Strike Freedom only made it worse... I mean, where has all the badass Strike Gundam moves gone to?

ep 46

Why: Shopping right before the main battle that would decide the destiny of the entire universe?! Not only is it very inappropriate, it only contributed more to the confusion of what Lacus really is. Yes, Lacus has needs as a girl (I know because I am also a girl like her), but staging a shopping trip to Copernicus is just totally for me. It was a badly executed episode in which Meer and Lacus were to meet; it only made Meer's death very superficial. Maybe that was why Athrun was crying. >.>;;

I forgot which ep again!

Why: Somehow UC and CE gets all mixed up...a Newtype Flash and Super DRAGOONs don't match. -_______-;; Yeah, right. Unless the Super DRAGOONs have psycommu technology...

ep 50

Why: We get a Kira Rey/Athrun Shinn matchup, and the Clyne Faction runs off with the perfect win. Worse. Padawan Rey gets mindraped by Kira and turns traitor to Dully who he adored for the last 49.995 episodes. Athrun easily decimates a crazy/ now revenge obsessed Shinn, and Shinn not fully utilizing the power of Destiny. Also, unless this was proven otherwise, the director has conveniently forgotten about the deuterion beam technology and how Shinn could've easily owned the battlefield if the Minerva "realizes" about it. Then, we get treated to a poor attempt into reconnecting Neo and Mwu and defending the Archangel again from a barrage of antimatter beams only using his bling bling beam mirror coating coated Mobile Suit...>.<;; Now, all the new cast have been virtually eliminated from becoming likable as the CE 4, and the situation made even worse by the Final Plus. Come on, even Sailormoon makes more sense than this...T_____T

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 00:57   Link #11
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Well, in contrast to all the Destroy-bashing, I like...

Phase 01:

How could no one mention the very first episode??? Sure it was left in a small cliff-hanger, but at least it made the show LOOK interesting at the start. Newer characters, a seemingly completely different ZAFT, a new main character and such. The show actually had promise. Only negative being the cliche "Gundamjack" that virtually mirrored that of SEED -1 MS (and, also like SEED, that 1 MS happened to be piloted by the "new main character" by sheer luck)

Phase 31-32:

The Destroy Gundam was actually a REAL weapon here. It actually fulfilled its role of completely decimating and obliterating entire cities in a matter of minutes and completely instilling fear in the hearts of those in its path. Even managing to hold off the "almighty" Freedom with near impunity at first. Like the Big Zam of MSG, it seemed almost like a near-invincible foe...giving EVERYONE a very difficult time....very much UNlike the one's shown later...which get owned in like...3-5 seconds each...and, similar to the Psyco Gundam of Zeta, the battle ending the life of the first real loved one of the main character.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 00:58   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tran
As I said, I find it too obsessive to categorize the stuff I don't like in that kind of manner. If you must put me down for something, put me down for the episodes covered in Destiny Special Edition II. They're not necessarily bad episodes, but they also tend not to attract my attention all that much either. Or you can put me down for just about any of the action episodes. After seeing a bit more of SDF Macross, Gundam action sequences seem a lot less effective in comparison.
^

Very well 4tran ... Thanx for your list....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
@wd, Okay...give me several hours to post my opinions of the well executed and executed not so well. I've got several papers of exams to work on now.
Dude, by all means do your damn homework...I assume your grades there mean more than your grades here...I'm eating a tunafish sandwich at 1 in the morning with nothing to do tommorrow, so I can blah it up...But be warned I don't have an inflated grading scale...I gotta red-marker with your name on it ...
Old 2006-08-12, 01:13   Link #13
cloudedge

You know, I've been trying to think of episodes that I think is the best and worst, and I can't really come up with any... except one...

GSD's has good scenes... and bad scenes mixed evenly fairly well... there isn't many episodes that is absolutely gold, and keep me engross through and through... (there may be scenes and sequence, but not the whole episodes)... but at the same time, the aren't any episode so intolerable that I cannot suffer watching it...

Anyway, the one episode that I consider noteworthy is eps 28, not because of any of the main character, but rather it's my tribute to the nameless grunts and Orb soliders. It truely gave us a sense of how the Orb military men.. the ones on the frontlines giving their lives out there to fulfill their duty despite the order itself goes against their personal belief.

That's how military should be... and the grim reality of war and being a solider.
I really felt their sorrow and the solider's love for their country. It was sad yet dignified. And for that, I pay my respect for this episode.

Another scene that I like, is the one 4Tran had mentioned, but I don't think eps 45 in general was noteworthy as a whole... but Cagalli taking off the ring indeed really wrap up her arc and showed her character's transformation and for that I liked that scene, but as the episode as a whole was only so-so.
cloudedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 01:42   Link #14
grandmaster192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper
BEST

ep 1

Why: Athrun could kick as much @$$ as he could without resorting to spambot or plot hole armor technology using a much "inferior" suit in comparison to the Gundam. It shows how Athrun is in some way deserving of the top CE pilot spot more than Kira, because he not only specializes in Gundams, but also inferior suits; a true case of man making the machine.
Thats 1 of the things I like about Athrun and Shinn. unlike Kira both Athrun and Shinn can master any weapon or MS. Kira can only fight 1 way. Athrun is pretty good with all MS. Shinn has shown he can master just about any weapon/MS. To bad Athrun had to go back to Team Kira. He was cool with ZAFT.
Old 2006-08-12, 01:44   Link #15
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Ep 43 when Shinn gets owned by an injured Athrun and Ep 42 when Kira let's Shinn know he's out of his league. Easily my favorite parts of the entire series. I guess since I need a third to fit the topic's minimum requirement, Episode 6 when Athrun, Yzak and Dearka teamed up and kicked the three Gundams asses. That was clutch.

For the bad, there's really nowhere to start. I suppose every battle scene after the first 20 episodes or so is pure crap because of the cut n paste animation. Whichever episode it was where the Destiny Plan is explained (like 48 maybe) is ridiculous, because for 40+ episodes before that there's all this buildup with Gilbert making you think he's the bad guy, but not really, but then again maybe he is. And then we find out his master plan is some bullshit like the Destiny Plan. What a load of bollocks.

Episode 45. Minerva taking out the moon base by itself. What a load of BS. And the Girty Lue, after being who knows where for 40 episodes, decides to come back and somehow forgets it has Mirage Colloid capabilities and is downed by Rey in five seconds. Would've been cooler if it was beaten in a ship to ship battle with some real military combat and not some stupid shit like that. That entire sequence of events was just so poorly thought out and stupid. Mix in some ridiculously forced Shinn/Luna scenes and you get one of GSD's worst episodes.

Episode 38 for the same reasons. Earth Forces looks like it's going to finally win something for once in GSD, Minerva sends its Gundams out, game over. Nice formula.

Episode 50 for lots of wtfness. Mainly Freedom and Justice getting out of that battle without a scratch. Yes waiter, I'd like a plate of suspense with a side of unpredictability, and I'll take some Damn-I-didn't-see-that-coming to drink. And let's not forget the ridiculous chat with Durandal, who suprisingly was the only person to surive Freedom's super spam blast on Messiah. What does the fucker have a force field or something?

Pretty much every time Athrun used Savior, because he should've SEEDed and didn't, thus that Gundam is one of the shittiest Gundams in franchise history (and new evidence has been passed onto me saying that Savior was at Armory One, only kept in a separate hangar under more security? They're keeping that piece of shit under lock and key but the other three are sitting in an open hanger with the keys in the ignition....bullshit I said)

That crap when Athrun was trying to talk Shinn out of attacking when he was escaping with the GOUF was pretty janky too. Should've just SEEDed and put up a fight. But I guess he can't use SEED unless he's in Justice or trying to kill his best friend.

Ep 17 and 18. I think all that to take out a giant cannon? That cannon doesn't even have a 360 firing radius. GO THE FUCK AROUND IT! Plus that Conille girl was just a worthless character.
Old 2006-08-12, 01:56   Link #16
grandmaster192

Obi-wan, I thought you liked Seed Destiny. I also thought you would have liked episode 50 because you seem to be a fan of team Kira. you got to see your favorite characters trash Shinn.
Old 2006-08-12, 02:10   Link #17
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

I do like it but not in the same vein that Nightengale and 4Tran like it. You'll never see me saying the clipshow "Meer" is one of the best episodes of GSD. The Durandal clipshow was entertaining but on the whole still very wasteful.

About the only part of ep 50 is the ass kicking Shinn got. But I'd like Freedom and Justice to get a scratch or two, something a little more suspenseful is all. Of course I still want them to win.
Old 2006-08-12, 02:11   Link #18
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
I also thought you would have liked episode 50 because you seem to be a fan of team Kira. you got to see your favorite characters trash Shinn.
A person can have a favorite episode but at the same time it can be a horribly executed one...Like I think FATES is pretty good episode and I like it because of the exploration of Rau and Dully's relationship, but as far as execution goes i think it's one of the worst timed episodes in the series killing loads of momentum from ep 28...FATES could have been better if it didn't act like ep 28 didn't exist...

Best executed doesn't have to equal favorite...

So far some really good stuff guys...
Old 2006-08-12, 02:12   Link #19
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaster192
Kira can only fight 1 way.
Kira didnt do too badly in Strike Gundam.
Oh wait, we wre just talking about GSD, right?
Old 2006-08-12, 02:13   Link #20
Gattzu
Silent but Awesome

Best:
28: Athrun gets freedomed, the whole episode is good, but when Freedom owns Savior thats the peek in the episode

39: The introduction of God, do I need to say more?

42: The Introduction of Gods apostles, the DOM's. They show the destructive capability of the DOM's which they never did in 0079. Where they got owned directly.
Gattzu is offline   Reply With Quote