AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2012-04-05, 10:52   Link #28361
Eratas123

He's not an actual Shota, just looks younger than 14. The shortness and long hair are the biggest factor on it.

Side note - Dverybody in that school is at least slightly fit because of the required IS stiff, right?
Old 2012-04-05, 10:53   Link #28362
Eratas123

Going to sleep.
Old 2012-04-05, 10:56   Link #28363
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

You're definitely lacking good sleep, just look at those typos.

Yeah, but still the same.

Probably, they also have a lot of sports club.

Hit the bunk as well.
Old 2012-04-05, 19:04   Link #28364
Eratas123

Would it be accurate to say a 23 year old guy is about a head taller than a 15 year old girl?
Old 2012-04-05, 20:37   Link #28365
DarkJak2050

I'm wondering, what exactly are the legs of an IS for if they don't use it?

It's said that an IS's movement mainly relies on it's PIC and thrusters. But what'll happen if those are disabled, and how much can it affect an IS's mobility?

I know it sounds like a stupid thing to ask; but it's something that I'm curious to know.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 21:02   Link #28366
Eratas123

My guess is it's to help with movement. They're also used in combat since "Ayako" once offered Ichika a leg blade equalizer.
Old 2012-04-05, 21:44   Link #28367
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Eras
Probably

@ jak
Most I.S. have a propulsion system of sort on their legs, whether it's for ground Mobility (ByakuShiki, ) or just additional thruster for maneuvering (Blue Tears, Shen Long, Aka Tsubaki). And even without propulsion, those damn huge legs have mass where you can swing them in certain to make a maneuver, like how Astronaut or a diver move in space or underwater respectively, or in another case, Mobile Suit.
Old 2012-04-05, 22:09   Link #28368
DarkJak2050

Okay, but what happens if all of those are disabled? The PIC, thrusters and propulsion systems; all disabled and an IS has to use the legs itself to move around.

How much will it affect it's mobility?
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 22:25   Link #28369
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Then the IS is dead... those boots weren't made for walking you know
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 22:26   Link #28370
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Jak
If the PIC system disabled, the I.S. might as well a target practice. PIC reduces the overall mass of the I.S. by a great deal, allowing suspension field and (augmented) human limbs to move them.

PIC is different from anti-gravity (the one allows I.S. to float)

@ Demi
Depending on which version you're talking about, the novel version is impractical for walking, the manga is worse (MUTHAFUKING POINTI LEGS!), but the anime version is logically good for walking and jumping, though running would be very awkward.
Old 2012-04-05, 22:29   Link #28371
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I'm not saying they can't walk, just that they weren't decide optimally for walking in mind

That's why I was so obssessed with making an IS that could walk... how I wish I had drawing and sculpting skills.
Old 2012-04-05, 22:35   Link #28372
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

@ Demi
Here's the design I have in mind (which applied to metal Wolf in my fanon)
> The leg are less bulky so it's less problem to move
> The leg has internal suspension system, whether mechanical or using the same suspension field. This would allow I.S. to adjust itself to imbalance caused by mechanical movement. Also, boost jump.

Sure, they would be still awkward compared to normal human, but greatly more agile than other I.S., this also applied to Shen Long (who has relatively thin legs) though it favors rocket booster than internal suspension.

Incidentally, White Knight has it best when it comes to mechanical movement, since it's pretty much only as tall as it's pilot are.
Old 2012-04-05, 22:40   Link #28373
demino_hellsin
That one guy

buildingin suspension while reducing the bulk seems a bit contradictory but other than that... great design. I think suspension would be the wiser move instead of reduced bulk though because suspension would allow for more rapid movement, also the bulk may help with sharp movement by adding mass to momentum. Though the only problem is fine movements will be problematic :|

the only best design I could think of was using the liquimetal shaping of valkyrie system on Scwarzer Regen as support.
Old 2012-04-05, 22:46   Link #28374
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Hence I said White Knight has it best. Metal Wolf might be able to do some running and a great jumper, but in V6 Arc, the good old White Knight give Silent Zephyr a run for it's money.

Why? It lacked the extreme width of most I.S. And it's leg are normal size and length, allowing near-perfect human motion (with extra speed provided by PIC diminishing the effect of gravity). In the narrow corridor of a military base, what more can you expect than human-sized I.S.?
Old 2012-04-05, 22:52   Link #28375
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I dunno? An iron man suit with less coverage, more fanservice, and a lot more multi-purpose weapons than the original american power armor has to offer?
Old 2012-04-05, 22:55   Link #28376
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Actually, Iron man-shaped I.S. are just right. Decent armor, energy field, built in weapon, great mobility...

Liquid-metal is a good substitute for muscle and suspension, but makes a poor armor. Maybe a combination of both would be excellent for your design (unless your design sacrifice armor altogether)
Old 2012-04-05, 23:01   Link #28377
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Schwarzer Regen 2nd shift's focus was taking advantage of the ability of AIC to increase one's own mobility while stopping any external threats. The external armor are big heavy pieces but they are made that way so that they can be fitted together loosely and don't jam. The liquid metal support is key to keeping their weight manageable.
Old 2012-04-05, 23:04   Link #28378
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

A leftover from VT system maybe?
Old 2012-04-05, 23:10   Link #28379
demino_hellsin
That one guy

yes, that was the idea.

I was thinking of how Schwarzer Regen moved throughout the series and it has mostly been a grounded unit until cannonball fast. So the idea was to increase it's ground capabilities. However putting it at a disadvantage against flight capable opponents, so I wanted it to be able to do something that most mecha can't: super jump.

The only way for this is if the legs have both power and stability, the only way to do that was to redesign the legs, the legs would lack the necessary power, even hydraulics can only be used for support.

The answer came in liquimetal or memory metal. Metal that can bend or move in certain shapes as predesigned/conditioned. A thought was what the closest and best thing available with resources at hand. Then you guys were discussing the VT system then and I remembered how it basically reshaped Schwarzer Regen as a whole.

In conjunction with the PIC/AIC, this allows for some pseudo high velocity flight.
Old 2012-04-05, 23:18   Link #28380
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

^ yeah, similar to my Metal Wolf, though I use suspension field than liquid metal, the concept is the same.

Metal Wolf is even taller than any I.S. EVER produced except for golems, topping at 2.7 meter with 1.8 meter pilot, Dan Gotanda. Most I.S. are roughly 1.9-2.2 meters assuming the pilots are 1.5 meters tall.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest