3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-10-02, 21:06   Link #201
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Nah, who need Julius! Akito has its own charm, you know?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 21:15   Link #202
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Nah, who need Julius! Akito has its own charm, you know?
I wouldn't even be watching this if I didn't find it to be a distinct experience instead of a repeat of the TV series. Akito is very different in various ways.

What I've said is that I don't think Julius will change everything. I could support Lelouch as Zero, but here I'd simply want Julius to lose or suffer a setback.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 23:10   Link #203
Zero Gravity
~

I'm pretty sure that's why they added Julouch in the manner they did -they know that one segment of the fanbase can't stand Lelouch, and that his being Suzaku's chew toy would go over well with them. They know that the other segment of the fanbase loves Lelouch, but they love him because he's a brilliant mind who is hopelessly flawed and tragic. Thus, injecting him modestly into the story in a way that complicates his tragedy works for everybody all around.

I enjoyed the first ep; it's good to see CG branching out more from the standard giant robot form into more unique stuff. However it did always seem overly obvious to me that Akito himself was a bid by Sunrise to replace Lelouch without fully replacing Lelouch. Come on, at least give the character a different eye and hair color (blue-shifted black and periwinkle don't count..), and give him a personality that isn't cold and sociopathic...

But the Lelouch fanbase didn't even blink at the attempt, hence why they had to call in the cavalry.

Perhaps the addition of Julouch will be good for Akito's character; now Sunrise no longer needs to work so hard to make the character a variable copycat.
Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 00:10   Link #204
Kusaja

I do think the visual resemblance between Lelouch and Akito isn't accidental either, but their personalities differ significantly. What they admittedly share is how they're both "dark" characters who can easily murder people at the blink of an eye, but Akito isn't really the charismatic leadership type. Leila fulfills that role, or at least she's trying to do so.

I'd say Akito is more or less closer to Chirico from Votoms or Setsuna from Gundam 00. He's very much the somber, occasionally snarky yet mostly calm and in control professional soldier...who only goes a bit nuts whenever the Geass activates, but it's different from Lelouch's own brand of extravagant theatrics.

I guess it is a good thing that those who were missing that element will now find it here, but just as well, I am also looking forward to more focus on Akito since he's been set up as a rather mysterious protagonist even within the universe.
Old 2013-10-03, 04:29   Link #205
azul120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Gravity View Post
I'm pretty sure that's why they added Julouch in the manner they did -they know that one segment of the fanbase can't stand Lelouch, and that his being Suzaku's chew toy would go over well with them. They know that the other segment of the fanbase loves Lelouch, but they love him because he's a brilliant mind who is hopelessly flawed and tragic. Thus, injecting him modestly into the story in a way that complicates his tragedy works for everybody all around.
As if everything else that happened to Lelouch in R2 wasn't punishment enough...
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 05:47   Link #206
Blackmambauk

as if we didn't get enough of it in R2, there comes a point where putting through a character through so much angst just get's ridiculous, and Code Geass did that with Lelouch in R2. too much angst isn't good, what's the trope for it again, ah yes Deus Angst Machina.

Come on Sunrise, if Julius is Lelouch, is it necessary to really pile more stuff on him, for me no. But we will find out more in the third episode

anyways getting back on topic, at which point do you guy's think that C.C will appear in Akito, me I think the third episode, since I think I might have read somewhere on here that they confirmed it.

If it is C.C in the picture in the first episode's credits possibly offering what looks like a young Leila a contract, do anyone think's it's the same one for Lelouch, to take her code so she can die, or has C.C got something else in mind.

If Leila does has a geass, what sort of geass do some of you think it is, personally i'm not sure, but hopefully we will find out.
Blackmambauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 11:28   Link #207
azul120

Here's the thing: if they're making Lelouch into Julius, they're adding to the abuse right off the bat. They're having Lelouch brainwashed by the man he hates, his father, into the type of person doing the type of stuff he HATES, all the while being used like a tool by his then ex-friend looking to enact retribution against him. And he still takes full responsibility for his year-long disappearance from the Black Knights, with no realization on their part of what he went through. (He brought it a bit upon himself via negligence, but still...)
Old 2013-10-03, 20:00   Link #208
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
I found your original post to be a little ambiguous, because that means you're agreeing with both a positive reaction and a negative reaction.

So let me ask you this: are you still interested in Akito the Exiled right now? There's at least three or more different positions about that.

GundamFan0083 didn't like the first episode and doesn't like the news about Julius at all. The reaction was negative.

Zero Gravity is interested in Akito the Exiled because of the news about Julius (can't tell what ZG thinks of the first episode so far). The reaction was positive.

I liked the first episode of Akito the Exiled and I am still interested after the news about Julius. My opinion is currently unchanged.
Yes I'm still interested in Akito, BUT I do think they could have pulled it off without bringing "back" Julius!
I expected cameos of certain characters C.C., Charles, and Zero, but nothing like this. Nor after watching the first episode did I think it required the return of "Lelouch" to bolster its sales.
It was an opportunity to have a new CG with new characters, without getting the old ones back into the mix.
But I'm in for the ride again! And hope it breathes new life in a series that deserves it!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 20:13   Link #209
Zero Gravity
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
Here's the thing: if they're making Lelouch into Julius, they're adding to the abuse right off the bat. They're having Lelouch brainwashed by the man he hates, his father, into the type of person doing the type of stuff he HATES, all the while being used like a tool by his then ex-friend looking to enact retribution against him. And he still takes full responsibility for his year-long disappearance from the Black Knights, with no realization on their part of what he went through. (He brought it a bit upon himself via negligence, but still...)
Ain't it great?

Don't mind me, I'm just a sadist.

But that's the point, a lot of Lelouch fans are. Sunrise did their homework.
Old 2013-10-04, 01:47   Link #210
azul120

Quote:
Ain't it great?

Don't mind me, I'm just a sadist.

But that's the point, a lot of Lelouch fans are. Sunrise did their homework.
The guy's story already ended in death. Enough is enough. (And he already suffered overkill.)
Old 2013-10-04, 02:03   Link #211
Kusaja

The greatest "sadist" is probably Taniguchi himself if you take the comments made by the staff at face value, but he's not even remotely involved here.

I am willing to bet that if anyone's suffering is going to be a central point of the Akito story it's not even going to be the suffering of Julius either. His mistreatment should get about as much time as Xingke's illness, proportionally speaking. It'll be pointed out enough to get the idea across, but resolving that isn't the purpose of this project and I don't expect it to occupy a lot of time.

On that note, I think episode 3 is where things will start to get a little too bleak for the members of Akito's team, possibly with the first strike of Julius and Suzaku.
Old 2013-10-04, 02:56   Link #212
Zero Gravity
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
The greatest "sadist" is probably Taniguchi himself if you take the comments made by the staff at face value, but he's not even remotely involved here.
To what comments are you referring?
Old 2013-10-04, 03:20   Link #213
Zero Gravity
~

If you don't want ep 2 to be spoiled completely, don't click this link, because it will do that: http://touchreceptors.tumblr.com/pos...ito-2-spoilers

[Hahaha..]

Spoiler for Julouch:

Last edited by Zero Gravity; 2013-10-04 at 03:40.
Old 2013-10-04, 09:28   Link #214
Blackmambauk

bloody hell looked at the link, they really are putting quite the effort into being tormentors aren't they, bloody sunrise, they really know how to do it don't they.

their just cruel gits in my view.

Spoiler for episode two:
Blackmambauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 11:18   Link #215
Xander

Quote:
If you don't want ep 2 to be spoiled completely, don't click this link, because it will do that: http://touchreceptors.tumblr.com/pos...ito-2-spoilers

[Hahaha..]

Spoiler for Julouch:
I'm not too sure about this, especially since the person you linked to explicitly says it's their own theory. That's worth confirming or dismissing.

Quickly looking at some Japanese posts...a few seem to mention motion sickness instead, so there's definitely room for another possibility.

It's interesting to see confirmation for several fan art extrapolations you made, but it also seems I was correct in assuming some stuff from those was purely implied too.

Other than that...well, it's really just the first impressions and descriptions from someone who didn't like the film. I don't buy the complaint that there isn't any plot, which seems contradictory based on the information provided, so I'm not inclined to fully trust this person's judgment. Seems to casually dismiss or avoid describing in detail some parts I'd like to hear about, which is a shame, especially since you can't rightfully claim Akito has no development when you're obviously giving several of his scenes purely half-hearted attention. The same thing goes for Leila. This is a work by Kazuki Akane after all, so I think the little things matter. I felt that during the first movie and the second should be no different.

It's also particularly weird to see the scene with Kallen and Suzaku at the waterfall during the original show is being called tasteful.

I will say it's always good to have more information though, in spite of my own qualms. Oh, before I forget to mention this...one of the related links, here, is also worth checking out. It describes what Suzaku and Julius/Lelouch say, including the statement the latter makes at the end.

Last edited by Xander; 2013-10-04 at 12:15.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 12:41   Link #216
Zero Gravity
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambauk View Post
bloody hell looked at the link, they really are putting quite the effort into being tormentors aren't they, bloody sunrise, they really know how to do it don't they.

their just cruel gits in my view.
Yep, told ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
It's interesting to see confirmation for several fan art extrapolations you made, but it also seems I was correct in assuming some stuff from those was purely implied too.
Inevitably, which is why I was sure to advise not taking them as the Word of God. But I think I nailed most of the main points pretty well. I generally find recurring themes in fanart to be pretty accurately predicting. It's always worth following the fanart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I will say it's always good to have more information though, in spite of my own qualms. Oh, before I forget to mention this...one of the related links, here, is also worth checking out. It describes what Suzaku and Julius/Lelouch say, including the statement the latter makes at the end.
Yeah this link is actually mentioned in the link I provided, which is why I didn't also provide this one. I'm pretty sure these two bloggers actually went to see the movie together.

I agree that these two people probably have a lopsided view of the rest of the movie, because we know they were probably only there because of the Lelouch factor. But at least we know what happens in the movie now -just take their critiques with a huge grain of salt.

Spoiler for Julouch:

Last edited by Zero Gravity; 2013-10-04 at 13:05.
Old 2013-10-04, 12:59   Link #217
azul120

Quote:
To what comments are you referring?
Closest thing I remember is something about them making his life harder so that he learns to appreciate what he has.
Old 2013-10-04, 13:02   Link #218
Xander

Quote:
Yeah this link is actually mentioned in the link I provided, which is why I didn't also provide this one. I'm pretty sure these two bloggers actually went to see the movie together.

I agree that these two people probably have a lopsided view of the rest of the movie, because we know they were probably only there because of the Lelouch factor. But at least we know what happens in the movie now -just take their critiques with a huge grain of salt.

Spoiler for Julouch:
The other person seems to be a little bit more positive though still rather forgetful.

Here's a few links where they bring up the motion sickness I referenced:

Old 2013-10-04, 13:06   Link #219
Zero Gravity
~

Spoiler for Julouch:
Old 2013-10-04, 13:11   Link #220
Xander

Quote:
Spoiler for Julouch:
Well, if it's worth bringing up real life examples...my mother has had a few problems getting on trains or boats but is usually perfectly capable of driving a car.

More on topic, Lelouch's KMF piloting skills aren't very good and we rarely see him doing anything too complicated (beyond the calculations necessary to use the Shinkirou's barrier).

Maybe you can speculate that the transcontinental express is going much faster than the local trains from Area 11 though? Travel time should also be much longer.