AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-29, 10:22   Link #601
Farplaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I actually found a site that explained how to use tenhou. Of more importance is that I found out that you could set up private lobbies, in case more people here are interested in setting up an Animesuki mahjong session.
That would be fun :O
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 13:33   Link #602
gundam rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Saki isn't a yuri manga in the sense that it isn't about yuri, and the main theme of the plot isn't about yuri relationships.

I don't think it'll go nowhere in the end, though, even in the manga. The author just isn't putting it up front and centre (which I like - it's nice not to be beaten over the head with it like the anime does).
HAREM, hello? why did Mr. Blondie hair guy gets left out?

the Blonde dude!!, go collect your harems now!!

go beat that Kamijyo Touma-punk's collection!!!........
gundam rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 18:06   Link #603
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I was pwned

Spoiler for su anko:

To topple it off it was a rin shan kaiho yakuman.

Yesterday I actually got a 3 little dragons hand, but forgot to take a screenshot from it. Rats.

In any case, I hope that by the end of the next episode we are already on with the meat of the show. It has been enough introduction I think
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 21:20   Link #604
Proto

Because I screwed up my Flash installation and I can't use my keyboard in any Flash apps. I plan to solve the problem. One of these days. I guess.
Old 2009-05-01, 07:39   Link #605
ThoHell

Guess I should be expecting so much out of a fan service series. Was hoping it would be some what like Hikaru no Go, but nope. Still interesting even wit the bad layout.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 10:39   Link #606
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm starting to kinda feel sorry for the guy. He looks like he's the type to fall for the princess (Nodoka), get into whacky hijinks to seduce her, only to realize that he's really in love with his childhood friend (Saki). And maybe accidentally collect a few more girls in the process. That should have been his destiny. But unfortunately for him, neither the princess nor the girl next door are interested in him. They only have eyes for each other.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 10:45   Link #607
Proto

He got an interesting dynamic with Yuki, so he could try working on that front

@Pb003: ahahaha, first time I've seen that.
Old 2009-05-01, 14:19   Link #608
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well I'm still enjoying the side characters, but Nodoka and Saki's emoing all over the place makes me feel exhausted after every episode...I'm not sure what exactly the intent is in making them overreact to every last little thing, but it genuinely makes it hard to emphasize or just plain give a damn about them as characters honestly...

Meh atleast theirs our fun loli and the two schemers to keep things relatively level headed.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 17:19   Link #609
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Saki isn't a yuri manga in the sense that it isn't about yuri, and the main theme of the plot isn't about yuri relationships.

I don't think it'll go nowhere in the end, though, even in the manga. The author just isn't putting it up front and centre (which I like - it's nice not to be beaten over the head with it like the anime does).
l must be in the minority here....but l'm watching saki mostly for the yuri moments as the game itself goes way over my head....so here's hoping they keep "beating me over the head" with the small amount of yuri being given to me
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 05:04   Link #610
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Just saw episode 04 and would like to reiterate my comment about all the moe shows running together. They were really laying it on thick with the whole implied yuri vibes between Saki and Nodoka and even gave the two their own sparkly flashy rainbow background sequence together ala K-On. I felt like saying "Why don't you two just get down on the blanket right now and start making out already?!" at the point when Nodoka goes to share her lunch with Saki because it was just so sappy. There friends now, not life partners come on already. I can certainly see how people are getting put off by this at this point.

And the sparkle sparkle fantasy sequences don't stop there. Episode four really must have been the detour from premise week for moe shows.....is what I thought before they got to the maid cafe. I started off thinking it was going to be borderline unwatchable (and the first parts were) and that the president was totally bullshitting about learning about Mahjong with real world interactions, but then they actually sat down at the Mahjong table with some guests and started to play. Come to the maid cafe and get creamed in a game of Mahjong right? Not quite. I like how the prez sicked a pro on them to teach them a lesson that while they are certainly excellent players that there is tons of room for improvement. Of course the could just totally end up botching this whole improvement via training camp thing next episode by doing silly things and forgetting to show it, which I really hope won't be the case. From what I see in the preview it could honestly go either way.

Other good stuff, by all rights that part where Yuki just randomly goes flying and....guy who's name I can't remember lands on her should have been an eyerolling endeavour, but Kugimiya's voice acting totally sells the scene somehow. Also I just noticed something freaky about her in that that cat belt thing she wears actually seems to move and change it's facial expression depending on her mood ala Wade Duck's inner tube in Orson's Farm. Also we get our first real introduction to the terror of Amae Koromo this episode and her spectre hangs heavily over the tone of the episode later on and what the girls are going to be facing come the tournament.

So the episode started of pretty bad, but ended up actually being pretty good once they got down to actually playing Mahjong again. I was pleasantly surprised.

P.S: Now if you'll excuse me I'll have to go dine on my own words about Saki not being able to equal K-ON in the sparkle sparkle department should the latter have a yuriesque sequence....which it did. Saki equalled and overshot it so far that it ended up somewhere beyond overwrought and just before Blinded by the light.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-05-02 at 06:39.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 05:32   Link #611
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

OK, you've definitely convinced me to watch K-ON.
Old 2009-05-02, 05:45   Link #612
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
OK, you've definitely convinced me to watch K-ON.
Be my guest, but may I ask what it was I said that convinced you to do this?
Old 2009-05-02, 06:08   Link #613
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The fact you come to another anime's thread to gripe about it.
Old 2009-05-02, 06:25   Link #614
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The fact you come to another anime's thread to gripe about it.
Hmmmmm.....nope, sorry, reasoning doesn't track, but that's your choice.

Also I've also been cross-comparing these two shows for like a month now, so I don't get why you are just noticing it now.
Old 2009-05-02, 06:28   Link #615
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

lulz...
fun times in anisuki, fun times indeed...
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 06:35   Link #616
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
lulz...
fun times in anisuki, fun times indeed...
This is just what happens when you get two snarks in close proximity to one another. Nothing to see here.

Back to point though, it amazes me that nobody has said anything about Koromo up to this point even though she's starting to make her presence felt. Not even a "hey who's that evil looking girl in the silhouette?" Oh but they will be talking about her when the time comes.....they will be.
Old 2009-05-02, 08:25   Link #617
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Just saw episode 04 and would like to reiterate my comment about all the moe shows running together. They were really laying it on thick with the whole implied yuri vibes between Saki and Nodoka and even gave the two their own sparkly flashy rainbow background sequence together ala K-On. I felt like saying "Why don't you two just get down on the blanket right now and start making out already?!" at the point when Nodoka goes to share her lunch with Saki because it was just so sappy. There friends now, not life partners come on already. I can certainly see how people are getting put off by this at this point.
I can imagine all the pro-yuri people cursing Kyou (aka. the blonde guy everyone forgets the name of) for butting in and ruining the fantasy. I have a high tolerance for sappy stuff, but when Nodoka whipped out the giant bento and said she'd share it with Saki but that she makes a lot of food because she can't play mahjong at her best when she's hungry, I swear my eyes were going to roll back into my head and settle somewhere near my cerebellum. I was like, "Just say 'I made extra so we could share!'", instead of that crock. At least Yuuki goes out and claims Nodoka as her wife.

Quote:
And the sparkle sparkle fantasy sequences don't stop there. Episode four really must have been the detour from premise week for moe shows.....is what I thought before they got to the maid cafe. I started off thinking it was going to be borderline unwatchable (and the first parts were) and that the president was totally bullshitting about learning about Mahjong with real world interactions, but then they actually sat down at the Mahjong table with some guests and started to play. Come to the maid cafe and get creamed in a game of Mahjong right? Not quite. I like how the prez sicked a pro on them to teach them a lesson that while they are certainly excellent players that there is tons of room for improvement. Of course the could just totally end up botching this whole improvement via training camp thing next episode by doing silly things and forgetting to show it, which I really hope won't be the case. From what I see in the preview it could honestly go either way.
I was practically head-desking when they found out that they had to work at a maid cafe. And like someone mentioned earlier that they complained that the skirts were so short. Hello? School uniform?

Quote:
Other good stuff, by all rights that part where Yuki just randomly goes flying and....guy who's name I can't remember lands on her should have been an eyerolling endeavour, but Kugimiya's voice acting totally sells the scene somehow. Also I just noticed something freaky about her in that that cat belt thing she wears actually seems to move and change it's facial expression depending on her mood ala Wade Duck's inner tube in Orson's Farm. Also we get our first real introduction to the terror of Amae Koromo this episode and her spectre hangs heavily over the tone of the episode later on and what the girls are going to be facing come the tournament.
I noticed that cat belt in the first episode. I thought of Ninin ga Shinobuden (aka. Ninja Nonsense) and Shinobu's headband mimicing her facial expressions. I guess that Yuuki's 'advances' to Kyou and his rejecting them will be a recurring gag?

Quote:
So the episode started of pretty bad, but ended up actually being pretty good once they got down to actually playing Mahjong again. I was pleasantly surprised.
I started to get frustrated at Saki and her timid-ness. God, I wanted Nodoka to slap her. At least the girls realized at the end that the president set them up. And the episode didn't disappoint with the over the top sequences. Although this time it was with the flipping of the white board (mini-hurricane?).

Quote:
P.S: Now if you'll excuse me I'll have to go dine on my own words about Saki not being able to equal K-ON in the sparkle sparkle department should the latter have a yuriesque sequence....which it did. Saki equalled and overshot it so far that it ended up somewhere beyond overwrought and just before Blinded by the light.
Ha, Saki not being able to equal or surpass any other show this season in the yuri department? I admit, K-On played it up a bunch in ep.5, but they would have to have the girls do everything in rose-bordered frames and soft focus for every episode left in the season to equal what Saki has presented so far.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 08:54   Link #618
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Back to point though, it amazes me that nobody has said anything about Koromo up to this point even though she's starting to make her presence felt. Not even a "hey who's that evil looking girl in the silhouette?" Oh but they will be talking about her when the time comes.....they will be.
There are at least 3 reasons if people follow this thread closely:

1- People are too busy mentioning "other things" instead.
2- They already knew about her and want to see others' reaction who didn't know about her when they see her.
3- You already spoiled we all .

And to me, it is no.2 reason.

Quote:
I was practically head-desking when they found out that they had to work at a maid cafe. And like someone mentioned earlier that they complained that the skirts were so short. Hello? School uniform?
There are people who don't bother others seeing them in the bikini, but get embarrassing when their panty is seen. Know why?
It's just a habit problem.
Old 2009-05-02, 09:04   Link #619
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
There are people who don't bother others seeing them in the bikini, but get embarrassing when their panty is seen. Know why?
Maybe that's why they all seem like they are constantly blushing?

And what panties?
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 09:07   Link #620
bayoab

Quote:
I started off thinking it was going to be borderline unwatchable (and the first parts were) and that the president was totally bullshitting about learning about Mahjong with real world interactions, but then they actually sat down at the Mahjong table with some guests and started to play. Come to the maid cafe and get creamed in a game of Mahjong right? Not quite.
This is Gonzo altering things again. It's supposed to be a mahjong cafe and everyone there was supposed to be playing mahjong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
There are at least 3 reasons if people follow this thread closely:

1- People are too busy mentioning "other things" instead.
2- They already knew about her and want to see others' reaction who didn't know about her when they see her.
3- You already spoiled we all .

And to me, it is no.2 reason.
Or 4. Seen this kind of BS enough already in anime that we really don't give a damn about a silhouetted figure.

Quote:
As JP posters say...
> 咲「パンツはいてないから恥ずかしくないんだから/// 」
"Not wearing any panties so it's not embarassing!"
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen