Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-03-27, 11:30   Link #6801
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I'm curious as to when the five minutes for the weather report became so boring that cutiefied or near naked women have to report it to us.
here ya go http://www.nakednews.com/
Old 2012-03-27, 11:49   Link #6802
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I just a shed a tear ;__;. This is gold.

(my pollen allergies made me cry)
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 12:48   Link #6803
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Funny, because I remember my father wanting whoever it was to get off the screen so he can see the weather map and other details back before we had internet for such things. Usually because he had to plot a flight the next day.
Old 2012-03-27, 13:00   Link #6804
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
before we had internet
But we do have the internet now. Times change.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 13:06   Link #6805
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I'm curious as to when the five minutes for the weather report became so boring that cutiefied or near naked women have to report it to us.
Frankly, I'd rather have cute girls doing the report than "millions of dollars in fancy graphics and doppler whatnot" that basically are a facade for really poor weather prediction simulations and just bad science.
Old 2012-03-27, 17:14   Link #6806
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

High School Senior xxpelled for using profanity on Twitter on school issued laptop.

Not for fighting, not for illegal things...but for profanity...

Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 17:57   Link #6807
GDB

Okay, that's messed up. They say it was sent from the laptop because of the IP from the posts. I don't use twitter, but can you even see someone else's posting IP? Furthermore, despite it being posted at 2:30am, they claim it was on the laptop because of this IP. IP don't work that way unless the laptops came with built-in 3g/4g/VPN, or if the school used WiFi and he lived close enough to leech off of it. And I'm not even getting into the ridiculousness of expulsion over swearing on twitter.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 19:23   Link #6808
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Okay, that's messed up. They say it was sent from the laptop because of the IP from the posts. I don't use twitter, but can you even see someone else's posting IP? Furthermore, despite it being posted at 2:30am, they claim it was on the laptop because of this IP. IP don't work that way unless the laptops came with built-in 3g/4g/VPN, or if the school used WiFi and he lived close enough to leech off of it. And I'm not even getting into the ridiculousness of expulsion over swearing on twitter.
IP doesn't have anything to do with the connecting machine, even if it is over mobile data. My Android phone gets a different IP address every so often.

The news source may be confusing an IP address and the MAC address of the wireless radio in the laptop. The MAC address of the wifi radio would be unique (unless the kid knew enough about networking to spoof his adapter's MAC address).
Old 2012-03-27, 20:29   Link #6809
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

And we have yet another case of air rage from within the airlines, in this case the captain himself.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 21:03   Link #6810
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

These school-issued laptops may be taken home. I'm betting the laptop is set up to proxy through a school server and that's how they spotted it.

I've got no problem with them monitoring at school activities (to watch for bullying, etc) but banging the student for a 230am profane twitter steps right over parental rights and responsibilities. If the parents permit profanity in the house, the school is out of bounds.

This sounds disturbingly similar to the laptop scandal where the school would turn on the webcam when the students were in their bedrooms....

if he's smart, the ACLU and EFF will be circling. The article seems to imply he was an "independent spirit" who wouldn't stay in line and this was just a lever to finally kick him out. I can relate to that :P

But I'll also agree that young people *really* need to think about what they post because unless something dramatically changes, they'll be having doors shut to them all the way down the future timelines (re: recent trend to FB account intrusion demands by employers)
Old 2012-03-27, 21:46   Link #6811
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Boat sinks, Texas man survives 30 hours in Gulf
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-27-22-03-46
Old 2012-03-27, 21:52   Link #6812
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Boat sinks, Texas man survives 30 hours in Gulf
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-27-22-03-46
That's a rough story... good thing he was stubborn to live and there were some terrible decisions to make.

Also a good thing for them the Gulf of Mexico is so warm.
Old 2012-03-27, 23:51   Link #6813
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I'm kinda mixed on the laptop issue.
If it IS school-issued, it's designed to be used for school work, and not the property of the child.
I CAN be subjected to the school rules, under that pretense, regardless of when and where it was used.

OTOH, yes, "keep yer nose out of my private time" does also apply, which is the reason why I'm half-half.
Old 2012-03-28, 05:01   Link #6814
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Why the heck do they issue laptops anyway? Unless you are telling me that the student is needy, won't it be easier to just "subsidise" the laptop for the student?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 09:32   Link #6815
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Why the heck do they issue laptops anyway? Unless you are telling me that the student is needy, won't it be easier to just "subsidise" the laptop for the student?
All these school districts want to look better in the eyes of the state governments. Its a huge waste and we rarely use them at all, but its all just politicking.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:45   Link #6816
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
1 - There seems to be a lot of money floating around for IT hardware but no clues on how to use it to teach or even WHY it is necessary.
2 - It is a way to seem cutting edge without actually having a clue.
3 - Since students come from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds, we can't have the poor darlings upset because their laptop is only 1.2 GHz while Bob's laptop is 4.0GHz so we'll standardize (actually, that makes some sense and reduces the chance Student A might steal Student B's laptop if everyone has the same sucky laptop it isn't like there are any education-related apps that require a lot of steam anyway).
Old 2012-03-28, 12:49   Link #6817
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
1 - There seems to be a lot of money floating around for IT hardware but no clues on how to use it to teach or even WHY it is necessary.
2 - It is a way to seem cutting edge without actually having a clue.
3 - Since students come from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds, we can't have the poor darlings upset because their laptop is only 1.2 GHz while Bob's laptop is 4.0GHz so we'll standardize (actually, that makes some sense and reduces the chance Student A might steal Student B's laptop if everyone has the same sucky laptop it isn't like there are any education-related apps that require a lot of steam anyway).
and i here i thought it was because the tech companies have been very successful bribinglobbying the politicians.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:59   Link #6818
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Principles tend to try to get some major project under their belt in each school they administer. It leads to something huge on their resume and leads to promotion to a better, higher status school. And/or leads them to the Board of Education, or even political jobs.

That the major project actually did anything useful or not for the students is inmaterial. It just looks good on paper is all that is needed because people handing out promotions and pay at that level never seem to look into that sort of thing unless the numbers of students drops or the number passing the standardized testing falls below a certain point (the point where the schools start getting less money).
Old 2012-03-28, 14:07   Link #6819
Ridwan

HOLY PERSIAN NINJA CATGIRL !!

sorry for linking it from forum. I was too lazy for looking the orisauce and the comments there are rather witty
Old 2012-03-28, 15:06   Link #6820
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

While the parents are absolutely idiots for traveling out of the country in the wife's last trimester, $1 million and not a cent of it covered by their insurance? WTF kind of insurance company is that.

I hope the Canadian gov't pays for that, send them back and don't let improperly insured about-to-give-birth visitors into the country...
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor