AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2013-03-16, 18:35   Link #221
Knowledgeseeker01
Wishes to Understand

I have recently created a topic for my story Fairy Dance Alternate. Here you will be able to openly talk or ask questions about my fanfiction story. As long as your question don't go into 'spoiler territory,' I will do my best to answer them.

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/1199...ance-Alternate

That area where my forum topic is located is the Sword Art Online Fanfiction Forum: "SAO Fandom Nexus." If you are a member of fanfiction.net you should check it out. You can post topics for your current or future stories to promote them, and you can discuss other stories as well. There is even a topic where people provide 'challenges' regarding possible future stories they could try.

Last edited by Knowledgeseeker01; 2013-03-17 at 13:17.
Knowledgeseeker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 07:49   Link #222
novalysis

Just saw an amusing post about a SAO Hater proposing to write a fanfic fixing the flaws of SAO. Only time would tell whether that person is actually serious.

I wonder though. Has there been any amongst the thousands of SAO Haters who tried to write a Fix-fic fixing what they perceive is bad about SAO?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 17:03   Link #223
sky black swordman

^ Not that I'm aware of.
Old 2013-03-17, 20:53   Link #224
AKAAkira
Bookmaker

There is something close; a guy who hated Sugou so much that he wrote a poem from Sugou's perspective, just so he could laugh harder when Sugou ended up failing.

Thus Taunts the Fairy King
AKAAkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 06:08   Link #225
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Just saw an amusing post about a SAO Hater proposing to write a fanfic fixing the flaws of SAO. Only time would tell whether that person is actually serious.

I wonder though. Has there been any amongst the thousands of SAO Haters who tried to write a Fix-fic fixing what they perceive is bad about SAO?
Oh boy........

Why do i have a feeling it will end up something like this....

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-03-20, 21:44   Link #226
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Just browsing this thread since Accel World has been getting awfully quiet:

It's just a concept, but what are your thoughts for an alternate SAO x AW crossover, properly placing Kirito, Asuna, and most other characters as players in Brain Burst? I've not thought out the setting nor the plot, I just wanna hear from some of you guys.
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 04:30   Link #227
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

For those who've been following the fanfic Halkeginia Online, here's an alternate take on the same premise (Aka Louise summoning Alfheim):

Fae is Foul.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 07:05   Link #228
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
For those who've been following the fanfic Halkeginia Online, here's an alternate take on the same premise (Aka Louise summoning Alfheim):

Fae is Foul.
Very good. I can't wait to see once the Faes and Tristanias leaders meet and negotiate.
Old 2013-03-23, 15:23   Link #229
CmmdrRosh
Gray Jedi

H-hi there Anime Suki.

I am a fanfiction writer for Sword Art Online and I just wanted to ask a few questions on how to nail down a few character archetypes and expies.

For the main character, she would be kinda a mixture of Solid Snake and Kiritsugu Emiya. Getting the aloofness and 'nasty' attitude that is simple, but how would I structure her speech? If you could, give me a few examples or something...

As for the main villain... I was kinda going for a Vicious from Cowboy Bebop outlook. How would it be possible in this type of setting? I was planning for the villain to be a part of the Army as we can clearly see it started to deteriorate from what it originally was.

Any help would be appreciated!

"Those that lay their eyes on a member of STARIS...Shall be silenced."
-Special Tactics Against Rogue Infinite Stratos (STARIS) Credos
Infinite Stratos: Spirit of a Soldier

"I will keep fighting, because that's the only thing that makes me feel... That is my reality."
- The Cobalt Mercenary
Objective Reality: A Sword Art Online Fanfiction
CmmdrRosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 06:30   Link #230
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Halkeginia Online Chapter 9 Part 9 is up with the conclusion of the Tarbes Arc. Discoveries and revelations ho!

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2013-03-24, 09:00   Link #231
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Halkeginia Online Chapter 9 Part 9 is up with the conclusion of the Tarbes Arc. Discoveries and revelations ho!
Spoiler for Halkeginia Online Chapter 9 part 9:
Old 2013-03-24, 12:45   Link #232
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmmdrRosh View Post
H-hi there Anime Suki.

I am a fanfiction writer for Sword Art Online and I just wanted to ask a few questions on how to nail down a few character archetypes and expies.

For the main character, she would be kinda a mixture of Solid Snake and Kiritsugu Emiya. Getting the aloofness and 'nasty' attitude that is simple, but how would I structure her speech? If you could, give me a few examples or something...

As for the main villain... I was kinda going for a Vicious from Cowboy Bebop outlook. How would it be possible in this type of setting? I was planning for the villain to be a part of the Army as we can clearly see it started to deteriorate from what it originally was.

Any help would be appreciated!
Main advice

Focus on her thought processes.

Make her harsh, make her blunt, make her cynical.

Also, make a good backstory. Why does she end up that way? How old is she? Was she that way when she entered Aincard, or was she that way even before?

Hide the villain. Perhaps make him sympathetic, even. Perhaps he is a victim of a rotting institution, yet can see no other way to survive as he is accustomed to.

Ultimately, try writing it out. It's really impossible to say without seeing your work.
Old 2013-03-27, 12:05   Link #233
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

I have been busy with university, so SAO: From the Outside is still on hiatus. Also, here to tell you about another idea, based of my Battlefield: AmuSphere idea, back when everyone was coming up with AmuSphere game ideas.

Basically a fic poking fun at the idiots you run into in online games:

Some point after the GGO arc, Sinon and some other players start playing Battlefield: Global War (the AmuSphere version). BF:GW features the armies of over 30 countries, with a male and female soldier models for each, as well as thousands of real-live weapons and vehicle from dozens of countries, as well as maps ranging from a single building to massive areas of several square kilometers- modeled after real-world locations. Not to mention, like BF3 irl, the ability to access servers from all over the world.

Basic point, this is basically a typical match, featuring Sinon and the other GGO players mentioned in the novel (Satrizer, Dyne, King "CamperRichie" Richie etc.), as well as a few characters from elsewhere, mostly minor characters such as Recon, Argo, Agil etc.

So, naturally, at some point, Sinon is going to pwn some of those 13-year old brats who keep spouting obscenities that you always get on online FPS.

Also, one of these characters will log in at some point and start going on killing sprees and trading bullets and obscenities:

Asuna

Suguha

Lizbeth

Silica

Sakuya

Alicia

Kirito (Unlike the others, instead of doing surprisingly well, he will do exceedingly poorly)

Any opinions on which would be the most amusing?
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 16:30   Link #234
AKAAkira
Bookmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmmdrRosh View Post
...For the main character, she would be kinda a mixture of Solid Snake and Kiritsugu Emiya. Getting the aloofness and 'nasty' attitude that is simple, but how would I structure her speech? If you could, give me a few examples or something...
On how to structure speech - I'm going with just aloof and "nasty" here at the moment, I don't have much of a grasp on Snake or Kritsugu's character, and don't know Vicious at all - first thing to keep in mind is is just what novalysis said: harsh, blunt, and cynical. Example quotes from elsewhere could include "I don't know, and I don't care" or "90% of everything is crud, including the other 10%".

Sarcasm may or may not work, depending on how harsh it is and how well you think it carries. I personally don't think it works well on written mediums, though I'm not much a user of sarcasm in the first place.

If you want it to sound extra-harsh, go in with a dialogue that's easily misinterpreted and then throw the snark after the response. Example copy-pasta'd from gabriel blessing's In Flight:

*character performs the rabbit-out-of-a-magician's-hat trick*

"Oh! Me next! Do you know how to cut someone in half like that guy on T.V did?"

"I know how to do that one too."

"Really? I always wondered how it was they put them back together again afterwards, Mr. Wizard. Maybe you could make me your assistant and show me just what other tricks those fingers of yours can do?"

"I don't think you'd want to be my assistant for that trick; I only said I know how to cut them in half. Putting them back together afterwards would defeat the whole purpose of killing them in the first place."

Did that help?

@novalysis - Back to the fix-fic thing, if you're still interested, I remembered there was something like that: Five Ways Asuna Could Have Successfully Made A Jailbreak by Satori. Summary tells more:

Asuna was a lead clearer in SAO, known as 'the Flash' for her speed and grace. She rose to a leadership position in the premiere guild of that Game, risking her life to protect others. She was the antithesis of the damsel of distress. That she more or less became one in the first ALO arc was just plain fury-inducing.

Here are five antidotes to the 'lone hero syndrome' that the arc seems to have fallen prey to.
AKAAkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 05:06   Link #235
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Halkeginia Online now moves unto Chapter 10 with the continuation of the Albion Arc. In which Kirito Midori is being Midori, and Guiche is being Guiche. Good times

Old 2013-03-29, 08:27   Link #236
CmmdrRosh
Gray Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Main advice
Focus on her thought processes.

Make her harsh, make her blunt, make her cynical.

Also, make a good backstory. Why does she end up that way? How old is she? Was she that way when she entered Aincard, or was she that way even before?

Hide the villain. Perhaps make him sympathetic, even. Perhaps he is a victim of a rotting institution, yet can see no other way to survive as he is accustomed to.

Ultimately, try writing it out. It's really impossible to say without seeing your work.
Ah, I see... Hmmm... Well considering that I do not consider The Day Before side story for SAO as canon because its primarily fluff... Well, let's just say there are very good reasons for her cynical attitude, especially at the Aincrad Liberation Force (The Army).

The villain... Won't be showing up soon(ish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAAkira View Post
...Did that help?
Oh yes, it did. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
...Any opinions on which would be the most amusing?
Lizbeth probably(?)

"Those that lay their eyes on a member of STARIS...Shall be silenced."
-Special Tactics Against Rogue Infinite Stratos (STARIS) Credos
Infinite Stratos: Spirit of a Soldier

"I will keep fighting, because that's the only thing that makes me feel... That is my reality."
- The Cobalt Mercenary
Objective Reality: A Sword Art Online Fanfiction
CmmdrRosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 09:45   Link #237
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAAkira View Post

@novalysis - Back to the fix-fic thing, if you're still interested, I remembered there was something like that: Five Ways Asuna Could Have Successfully Made A Jailbreak by Satori. Summary tells more:

Asuna was a lead clearer in SAO, known as 'the Flash' for her speed and grace. She rose to a leadership position in the premiere guild of that Game, risking her life to protect others. She was the antithesis of the damsel of distress. That she more or less became one in the first ALO arc was just plain fury-inducing.

Here are five antidotes to the 'lone hero syndrome' that the arc seems to have fallen prey to.
That was utterly awesome. Thanks for sharing that feat of a work. I presume though, that the author read the LN translations? Else, it would have been quite tricky matching the monologue style of Asuna - given that the anime did such an abominable job of capturing internal thoughts.

But, the fix-fic isn't just in reference to ALO - there are rabid segments of the hatedom who think that Aincard is terrible, that all the characters are shallow, and the pacing is bad.

Most of this, IMO is the fault of the Anime - and also, the inherent difficulty of adapting a story that really is quite fragmented, due to the quirks of it's origin, to the point the author is rewriting the whole story in chronological order.

Certainly, I think the problems started when Aria/the second episode failed to really capture the atmosphere properly. Skipping First Day was also a horrible idea, IMO, since without it, it's very difficult to understand Suguha's influence on Kirito's mindstate properly. If it had been animated, I think the audience would have seen a clear sub-plot that ran from First Day, to Red Nose Reindeer, to Kirito's helping Scillia, that really reached denouement and took the principle characterization focus of ALO.
Old 2013-03-30, 06:41   Link #238
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Halkeginia Online now moves unto Chapter 10 with the continuation of the Albion Arc. In which Kirito Midori is being Midori, and Guiche is being Guiche. Good times
Lol. I laugh on what happen when Guiche tried to take a peek of Midori in the baths.
Old 2013-03-30, 20:39   Link #239
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Halkeginia Online Chapter 10 Part 2 now up, with more intrigue! Revelations ahoy, and some very scary things ahead...

Old 2013-03-31, 07:17   Link #240
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Halkeginia Online Chapter 10 Part 2 now up, with more intrigue! Revelations ahoy, and some very scary things ahead...
Spoiler for chapter 10 part 2:

Tags
discussion, fanfiction