AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-07-23, 16:24   Link #2401
Optimura
Teal Vanguard

I must admit Chrome Falcon's story is one of the high points in the Accel World series, tied together in terms of FEELS with the Cyan Pile battle and the 5th Chrome Disaster's last moments. It's even made all the more saddening because deep down we all know that is what would exactly happen in real life if such a situation presented itself.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a masterpiece, but I ended up reading it 4 or 5 times. You know, if Reki expanded more upon these sort of "side stories" about other Accelerated World players I think it'd be much better.
Optimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 17:03   Link #2402
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimura View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to call it a masterpiece, but I ended up reading it 4 or 5 times. You know, if Reki expanded more upon these sort of "side stories" about other Accelerated World players I think it'd be much better.
Sword Art Online would have been vastly superior if told from the perspectives of multiple characters, especially including Klein and Argo. It's part of why I love Catsy's "Fairy Dance of Death" so much.

Imagine if Accel World featured other main characters besides Haruyuki, who lived in different parts of Tokyo, belonged to different legions, and had to face different villains and challenges?

We got a taste of that with the Okinawan adventure, told from Kuroyukihime's perspective and exploring a distant corner of the Accelerated World. The Niko/Prominence sidestory and the spin-off manga offer other new perspectives, as well.

The anime gave us an excellent scene just between Takumu and Kuroyukihime that never existed in the Light Novels.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 18:59   Link #2403
Optimura
Teal Vanguard

Eh, not even that. I would be content with something like Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon does, where all the guys from the class eventually get the spotlight and there's no one (or almost none) who get left out. Even though Aoi Toori is technically the protagonist, the male to female ratio of badasses is more or less mantained throughout the story. Toori sticks to his girl, letting the rest eventually have their own waifus too; something that doesn't happen here.
Optimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 00:12   Link #2404
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

I for one would enjoy a side story featuring Fuuko. Expanding upon her introduction into Brain Burst, her initial delight at having received the Gale Thruster and subsequent disappointment when she began to push the Thruster for something it was never meant for.

On a side note: I've obtained an official Chinese copy for V12, and Superior Superboy has official V11, 9, and 1. V1 includes some special commentary on each of the characters too; it would be worth a translation.

Argh, what was I saying. It so happens that V12 also includes the side story 'Sky Blue Wings.' If I can get clearance from Xplorer30 to translate that, then this is my translation lineup:

-V11.4
-Sky Blue Wings
-Chinese Wiki
-Traces of Prominence (undecided as to whether me and Superboy will jointly translate.)
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 05:24   Link #2405
Sunder the Gold

What does Sky Raker's Boost Jump special ability do? Use her Special Gauge to enhance her Gale Thruster somehow? If so, in what way?
Old 2013-07-29, 21:40   Link #2406
Shiyumi

I think the name make it clear. Boost Jump= increase jump power of Gale Thruster.
Shiyumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 21:53   Link #2407
Sunder the Gold

And yet, Silver Crow apparently did not get that same ability when he got the Gale Thruster.

Then, if Cyan Pile traded away the Pile-Driver, would the recipient be unable to use Lightning Cyan Spike and Spiral Gravity Driver? But Sky Raker said her Gale Thruster would be especially expensive because of all of the upgrades she invested into it, and LCS was an upgrade to the Pile-Driver.

Or does Boost Jump work in a more generic fashion? That is, rather than only enhancing Gale Thruster, perhaps it also enhances jumping with just her legs? If an ability isn't completely dependent on an Enhanced Armament, it would make sense that the avatar doesn't lose it even when the EA is gone.

Silver Crow seemed to retain the boosters in its forearms, and we never saw Dusk Taker executing super-punches or kicks with Aviation in the way that Silver Crow did. Because if it was an ability of Silver Crow's punch and kick attacks, the boosters wouldn't have been stolen.
Old 2013-07-29, 23:59   Link #2408
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

As it is, «Boost Jump» was just mentioned in passing. There's absolutely no further details on what the move is, how it works, and when it works.
Old 2013-08-08, 11:42   Link #2409
tuckersister

Still praying for someone to kick Black Vise's butt...really hard. White Cosmos will get her's kicked in future volumes. Still not giving up on a theory of a former "friend" of WC and her real self wants to get revenge on her.

There hasn't a character with amazing detective skills introduce. It would make the story interesting. Characters with analytic skills tend to be awesome.

Also someone pointed out that Silver Crow doesn't his legion symbol on him. Is there a reason behind it?
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 12:06   Link #2410
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

I see you haven't changed.

Well, as I argue how fast AW should end, I wish that AW concludes ASAP with the existing cast as far as possible. New avatars have shown up for eight volumes already, and not all of them last for more than even two volumes. I'm personally tired of seeing characters come and go with nothing more than a deus ex avatar machina moments. I want AW to end as cleanly as possible and not some grand battle like the end of Alicization where every antagonist possible had their butt kicked. So even if White Cosmos & Black Vise don't receive a lot of retribution, I'll accept it if the story is closed properly. If a 'detective' avatar comes along, I'll puke, because he'd likely stick around for an arc or so.

The legion symbol is an optional thing, using accessories or the likes to be inscribed somewhere on the avatar.
Old 2013-08-08, 12:16   Link #2411
Sunder the Gold

I'd likewise prefer to see more done with the characters we have, especially ones like Takumu and the other (non-Black/Red) kings who haven't been given enough to do lately.

It's how many volumes now, and Graphite Edge STILL hasn't been rescued? After they managed to save both Ardor Maiden and Aqua Current, why wasn't Edge their next immediate target? He hasn't even made an appearance, outside of a flashback.

There are too many story arcs going on that have nothing to do with the central one of "winning the game / solving the mystery". If there HAVE to be multiple major arcs, I'd prefer the heroes to find themselves pursuing both possibilities -- waging war against the non-Red kings while also hunting down new clues about the true purpose of Brain Burst.
Old 2013-08-08, 12:25   Link #2412
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

The word 'Edge' is mentioned so briefly in V11.3 that the uninitiated could even mistaken it as an error on KYH's part.

Just to list down the current arcs and the volume they began:

-Elements' Rescue, V6
-Chrome Disaster, ended V9, restarted V14
-ISS kit, V6
-Metatron, V11
-ARS, V4

And we're still no closer to meeting White Cosmos then we were in V6. The author needs to step on the accelerator and he needs to do it now.
Old 2013-08-08, 13:52   Link #2413
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
It's how many volumes now, and Graphite Edge STILL hasn't been rescued? After they managed to save both Ardor Maiden and Aqua Current, why wasn't Edge their next immediate target? He hasn't even made an appearance, outside of a flashback.
Not making an appearance outside of a flashback is likely why he hasn't been rescued. He hasn't had any contact with Kuroyuki, therefore no rescue can be made. The rescues of Ardor Maiden both took a lot of planning and preparation, I would expect saving Graphite Edge would not be less effort required.

So without prior planning, they can't rescue Edge, without contact, they can't do any prior planning. And Kuroyuki has been reluctant to reach out to the former Nega Nebulous members that met with disaster thanks to her bad judgement, much less actively attempt to re-recruit them. And much like Aqua Current, Graphite Edge hasn't really made an attempt to reach out to Kuroyuki (that we know of).

And of course by the summaries, they pretty much went straight from rescuing Aqua Current to other things, so it's not like they'd have much of a chance to rescue Edge.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 16:45   Link #2414
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
To be fair, over the last few volumes it hasn't even been one RL week yet Due to Accelerated time, there's more stuff packed into the timeline in AW than most other LN series.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 07:17   Link #2415
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

I caught this tweet on my newsfeed and decided to translate it out of sheer boredom.
Spoiler for @accel_world:
Spoiler for Tusjecht-Translation:
As for that single phrase 「来る」, it would be Haruyuki exclaiming mentally "It's coming!"
Old 2013-08-09, 21:26   Link #2416
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Baka Tsuki Update

Eternal Dreamer has released V5.6!
Spoiler:
Old 2013-08-09, 23:21   Link #2417
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusjecht View Post
Eternal Dreamer has released V5.6!
Spoiler:
*claps hands* Goshisosama.

Ah, I can't wait to see that animated.

Speaking of which, I'm curious about how they'll animate Utai's first on-screen attempt to speak.

Will they use a cartoonish style, with softened, chibi-fied facial features and a sound effect like a snapping steel trap? Turn the moment into something comedic?

Or will they go for a more realistic style, and convey the full shocking effect of Utai's open mouth suddenly snapping shut and spasming? Depict her beautifully cute face twisting with ugly pain and chaos?
Old 2013-08-09, 23:28   Link #2418
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

I'd go with the second one. For her condition to be bad enough to warrant a BIC chip, particularly given that their use is now limited to medical purposes, to make it comedic would be in poor taste to play up her loli cuteness.
Old 2013-08-10, 05:54   Link #2419
tuckersister

I just realized that Lime Bell has prevented nearly all disaster situations in the LN. Though she still needs to be protected cause she doesn't know IS.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 08:49   Link #2420
Sunder the Gold

Keeping her protected is a good reason for teaching her Defense Enhancement Incarnate Skills before trying to hack her Citron Call.

Keep the healer alive.

Tags
action, cyberpunk, harem, romance, seinen, shounen, virtual reality