AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-18, 15:41   Link #201
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well, you have to realise that this is a light novel series. So it's not for children because there's not enough pictures.
Yeah, that's true. I dunno, somehow the boing-boing moments that seem so natural in other series (like in HOTD) feel so out of place here, I guess that's what's bugging me. I don't mind the lighthearted and completely-out-of-leftfield story so much. At least it's not another generic highschool setting. Or rather, it is, but everyone's a secret agent of some kind so it's all cool (like Code-E or like Durarara though not on the same level).
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 15:42   Link #202
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
The author is a gun-nut, and traditionally write serious and dark stories. But he must have decided to have a change of pace and intentionally do a light side of life for once. Adults can enjoy a light and fun story too!
Indeed. I actually like the writer's occasional but funny references to international politics. But chances are that only boobs and bombs will be animated.

Quote:
Or rather, it is, but everyone's a secret agent of some kind so it's all cool.
If it is the only thing you worry about, you will probably feel better in the later episodes.
Old 2010-07-18, 15:45   Link #203
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Yeah, that's true. I dunno, somehow the boing-boing moments that seem so natural in other series (like in HOTD) feel so out of place here, I guess that's what's bugging me. I don't mind the lighthearted and completely-out-of-leftfield story so much. At least it's not another generic highschool setting. Or rather, it is, but everyone's a secret agent of some kind so it's all cool (like Code-E or like Durarara though not on the same level).
Well, the "boing-boing" is rather difficult to express on written paper. It's only in animated and manga form that it gets to show up. The anime studio is simply taking advantage of that.

And the whole point with the cat alien is that she is out of place. I guess that's the whole point of being an "Alien".
Old 2010-07-18, 16:10   Link #204
ReddyRedWolf

So the terrorist organization Beautiful Contact are really Science Fiction nerds. And they hate Trekies.... No wonder they're nuts.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 16:44   Link #205
Johnny
Working the bags...

So in a nutshell we have this...

Spoiler:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 17:29   Link #206
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
And the whole point with the cat alien is that she is out of place. I guess that's the whole point of being an "Alien".
Ah, she's not out of place, only her bust is

@Johnny:
That sounds like a fair and succinct summary
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 19:37   Link #207
Francismeunier
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
a) It depends on how you define fillers. Considering that there are 14 novels already, there is little need for anime original materials (the manga is merely an adaptation btw). But if you mean daily comical / school life / beach stuff that doesn't advance the plot, yes there is.
I see so they need not to invent but just directly from the novels. Also could the series be a easy 24 episodes to finish it off or it may be longer?
Quote:
Of course if the production crew is hardcore enough, they can make the whole season like Hollywood action flicks. There are certainly enough actions, conspiracies, international diplomacies and power struggles between different factions on earth and outside earth. I fail to see why they would do so though.
I see......they could do that.......Kyo visiting Eris' home planet or going into the enemy planet to accomplish something as much going into countries to explore or achieve objectives...well it is yet to see if Kyo can even fit in that small space ship considering it looks to be a one place.
Quote:
b) Anime-only ending... As the novels are still ongoing the ending will never be an authentic one. The crew may shuffle the order of the events a bit, and pick one of the major events to end the series. Or they may try the Elfen Lied way with an original but ambiguous ending.
How close are the novels or manga in the ending....PM if spoiler.....don't mind it.
Quote:
Not exactly related, but the author is a gun mania + military otaku and some of his previous works are extremely dark and twisted. Asoiku however is in general on a more light hearted tone. You may occasionally see references to soviet stuff, military vehicles and international politics, but nothing will be major.
By all means please do refer his other works.....did the author have any contact with Metal Gear creator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
So in a nutshell we have this...

Spoiler:
Yeah I could not agree anymore.....it is exactly what I though about.
Quote:
Well, the "boing-boing" is rather difficult to express on written paper. It's only in animated and manga form that it gets to show up. The anime studio is simply taking advantage of that.
You mean censoring then giving us the message that there will be extras in the DVD version and then selling it......well I think to Love RU did the same thing TBH......it sure worked but I am not sure I would get DVDs of this due to my family. Although it does rather get annoying when you don't have a nice non cut version like Ladies VS Butlers did.
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 19:41   Link #208
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
Also could the series be a easy 24 episodes
Yeah, that's not happening. Six DVDs have been confirmed, no more, no less.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 20:20   Link #209
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Quote:
The uncle is "somebody", that's for sure.
Yeah but who? He sure knows military tactics that's one thing for sure....I mean fabricating a flash-bang....

Quote:
Momiji was given the choice of her duty or her man. She chose her man, and has effectively sacrificed the most of her life for him out of all the characters. Luckily at least, she can be given some protection by the Catia people now that she is an outlaw who wasn't suppose to exist.
Yeah that is still so incredible when you think about it.....I smell a serious love triangle like the OP suggests between her and Manami. BTW how does that machine work anyways with the suit.....I wonder.

Quote:
The spy girl, in the end, do admit to wrongdoing. She sold him out for a promotion. But I can't get too mad at her because she did apologize and told him where Eris is kept. And of course, Momiji dragged her into joining the rescue mission. It seems Manami had no idea how easy it was for people to recognise her. She should have at least changed clothes and the watch.
Funny that the guy knows Manami wanted to be a government agent. He just doesn't know WHICH country she was wanting to work for.
I though she did all this because she wanted to follow in her father and that would mean maybe finding the circumstances of his death.....You should know CIA does not give out death information that is the absolute truth if they know that it will be harmful to them.......smelling conspiracy that Manami's father knew of the dog aliens and they killed him. PM me for spoiler if this is true. :P
Quote:
It seems the reason America wanted Eris dead was because the Defense Intelligence Agency has been infiltrated by dog aliens. So this has become an intergalactic incident. And of course, the Japanese government must be infiltrated too, that's why Momiji got the kill order to begin with. The terrorists wannabes are just a bunch of clowns by comparison.
But who wanted in the Japanese government Eris being dead by Momiji? Could the alien dogs have infiltrated the Japanese government too? Maybe that's why her Chief came down?
Quote:
As expected, Eris is heavily armoured and seriously armed, fitting for a space-faring civilization. It's just that the design aesthetics of her equipment are all on the cute side, so you don't know how screwed you are until you are already naked.
No kidding she's got super nano advancement not mention most likely anti-matter technology with materialization advancements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Yeah, that's not happening. Six DVDs have been confirmed, no more, no less.
Ah that makes me just because it could have surpassed ToLove RU......once again
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 20:26   Link #210
Midonin
Last Engage

It's not the number of episodes you have, it's what you do with them.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 21:13   Link #211
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Yeah but who? He sure knows military tactics that's one thing for sure....I mean fabricating a flash-bang....

Yeah that is still so incredible when you think about it.....I smell a serious love triangle like the OP suggests between her and Manami. BTW how does that machine work anyways with the suit.....I wonder.

I though she did all this because she wanted to follow in her father and that would mean maybe finding the circumstances of his death.....You should know CIA does not give out death information that is the absolute truth if they know that it will be harmful to them.......smelling conspiracy that Manami's father knew of the dog aliens and they killed him. PM me for spoiler if this is true. :P

But who wanted in the Japanese government Eris being dead by Momiji? Could the alien dogs have infiltrated the Japanese government too? Maybe that's why her Chief came down?
No kidding she's got super nano advancement not mention most likely anti-matter technology with materialization advancements.

Ah that makes me just because it could have surpassed ToLove RU......once again
A part of me is hoping that Eris has a hidden plasma caster. xD

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 21:20   Link #212
karuroso

"unfortunately" i think this series will be of the type that will really make me want to read the novels... even if i knew jap, finding the raws would be difficult.
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 21:49   Link #213
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:

But who wanted in the Japanese government Eris being dead by Momiji? Could the alien dogs have infiltrated the Japanese government too? Maybe that's why her Chief came down?:
Just a love triangle? I think I can name a certain secret agent glasses beauty that has also shown in this episode to have some sort of feelings toward Kio...Anyway, I only have the first few volumes of the manga in my possession, and so far they haven't showed Manami's Dad or Kio's uncle secret background yet so I can't answer that for you. However, it does cover the material in these two episodes, so I can tell you what they cut in the anime adaptation in order to fit into just two episodes, one of which gives a clear description of who Futaba is really working for.

Spoiler for Manga spoiler, Futaba's real job:

So that was quite a big one. All in all though, the anime and manga adaptation still follows the same story, just that the manga spends more time explaining the smaller things, like the uncle telling Kio of their assault strategy beforehand. Still, there's some characters shown in the manga not shown in the anime (who may very well be manga-original characters, I don't know). For instance, a major and a commander of the American base is given names and a bit of characterization, there's Kio's trio of Grannies, and also a bit of additional 'feature' for the assistroids. It doesn't seem like they'll be used much afterward and are side characters at best, but they provides some good laughs and actually has a part in the storyline that makes it flow a bit smoother.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 22:01   Link #214
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I enjoyed the first two episodes of this anime more than I thought I would. I was going into it expecting... some sort of bad DearS meets UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie meets Omamori Himari meets ToLove-Ru copy. You know, the typical "average/somewht plain guy with no girl stumbles across some non-civilized ultra-special otherworldly girl who may or may not be retarded and pretty and can destroy everything all at the same time" getup.

In a sense, that's exactly what it is. But I think Asobi ni Ikuyo puts a nice little spin on it. It's refreshing to see that Eris is intelligent and she doesn't have some impossibly unrealistic reason for coming to Earth (which in the typical anime has to do with love or saving the world/the human race/a home planet). I love all of the minor characters as well (Aoi/Momiji being my favorite); they're actually INTERESTING for a change.

I think I will stick with this.
Old 2010-07-18, 22:22   Link #215
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmmm, dropped a few series so will be adding this to the watch list (after getting pelted by people that say I should watch this)
Old 2010-07-18, 23:22   Link #216
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
How close are the novels or manga in the ending....
From what I have heard it will still take quite some time for the novel to end, although I haven't read up to vol. 14. The manga is a close adaptation of the novels and is still being serialized in Comic Alive, and the latest tankoubon (vol.7) was just released three weeks ago. If the novels come to an end, likely you will see the same ending in the manga.

Quote:
By all means please do refer his other works.....did the author have any contact with Metal Gear creator?
No idea if he has any personal contact with the MG creators, but currently he is not involved in games and focus solely on novels.

His first novel is "Darkness Angel" (ISBN 4-7572-0618-6) and is extremely dark and twisted, exploring the group mentality in killing if given an environment where killing is legal, as well as the gradual change of the feeling of remorse to the feeling of joy in killing others.

Another dark novel written by him is the "Six Bolts" series*. Imagine Eris come in a way where the Beautiful Contact folks will scream in joy. Aliens who arrived to Earth forced Earth to participate in a battle in accordance with intergalatic laws. As a "non-barbarian" war, theoretically no one will die from the fights. But practically it is a never-ending hell for the protagonists who get killed in all grotesque ways you can imagine, get revived and forced to fight again and again.

*3 volumes: (ISBN 4-8402-1993-1, 4-8402-2516-8, 4-8402-2547-8)

Later he began to shift to a less dark route and give a greater focus on comedy and Okinawa stuff. A certain catgirl who is a major character in Nangoku Sendai Shureiou* may appear in the later episodes of Asoiku if the staff doesn't cut away too much content. She is one of my favourite characters btw.

*3 volumes: (ISBN 4-257-76917-3, 4-257-76953-X, ISBN 4-257-76975-0)

There are many more light novels he has written, but I think that's all for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
"unfortunately" i think this series will be of the type that will really make me want to read the novels... even if i knew jap, finding the raws would be difficult.

Very true. So far by using only 40 minutes they have finished vol. 1 of the novel, or 10 chapters of the manga. Just like any other series with novels as original sources, the problem of this series is that there certainly are lots of stuff that are cut out. Many things that are already known to readers of novel vol. 1 are unknown to the audience.

Some people complaint about the writing by pointing out that the lack of explanation regarding the character's background and motives, and I do can see where they come from. Unfortunately given the strict spoiler policy in AS, I am not in a position to discuss them here even in spoiler boxes.

Anyway try the manga first then . Although it is not realistic to expect every single sentence from the book be recreated, so far it is quite a faithful adaptation of the novel.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2010-07-18 at 23:40.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 23:38   Link #217
ZeKeR
Superbad

metal gear solid style attacking the base ftw
Old 2010-07-18, 23:49   Link #218
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Someone tell me I'm not the only one to make a connection between Aoi's weapon materialization with Eris's

...no?

Oh well, I did think of District 9 when I saw the ship over the town. I better head on over to Inception to cool my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
...(hope it won't be as fast as a certain other LN adaptation last season)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
But... unlike a certain other show last season, this still managed to be very interesting.

I shouldn't be laughing right? Did I really blow that series out of proportion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Ah well, if there's any good news is that I'll be able to join the theorizing and speculation earlier than I thought.
Welcome aboard the Brain Train, is your ticket First Class or Economy?

Ok serious time

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Also, good animation and good and not overdone fanservice (damn bright moonlight there, though).
You know what irritated me? They could have used the Shadows of Death right there, but noooooo.... they had to make the scene look like the sun was peeking out of an eclipse.

Quote:
I wonder, what exactly does it mean when the narration in ep 2 sad that "everything went back to normal"?

Was Momiji forgiven for her insubordination and is back at her old job, because they decided the entire incident is stricken from the record so technically she didn't do anything wrong? Or is she now just a normal schoolgirl?
And is Manami no longer a Contact? Could people who read ahead tell me in a spoiler box?
I'd take it that Manami's job was done when she delivered Eris. Afterwards, it's a wait and see for her, as I don't think anyone knew the details of her being the leak. Heck, the whole thing was disguised as an accident so her involvement ended when she delivered Eris.

About the pacing, yes, it works. They answered the questions that were needed to be answered in such a short time, that for 12 eps dragging that on would have been a nightmare. Leave the rest of the questions when they need to be answered, as now is not the right time. As for the comment about throwing logic out the window, I'll continue using my brain like I always do. After all, I make it possible to leave my brain full throttle and enjoying the anime at the same time.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 01:51   Link #219
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Box owns base.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 01:56   Link #220
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Box owns base.

Please do not take home~