AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-14, 21:29   Link #261
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
I'd agree as far as the actual powers are concerned: I'd want her to keep them. However, I also don't want her to end up still pinning her life's hopes on encountering strange outside forces. Especially if she retains her powers and learns of them, I'd hope she'd become a much more active agent in making the world extraordinary.

Also, with regards to what you said about her relinquishing her powers for Kyon being unsatisfactory, that would in turn rob Kyon of a major opportunity for his own growth, which would be to suck it up and say "I know a girl who is effectively a god, has caused me no end to trouble and is the last sort of person I'd wanted to admit existed...and I love her/care about her/whatever anyway."

So yeah. We're agreed on that.
Exactly.

I get what you meant now; it would be very odd for Haruhi, aware of her vast powers, to still be wanting to encounter strange outside forces.

She herself is a strange force, and if she knows this, she should come to become happy in her own skin.

That, to me, would be a good way for the franchise to end. With Haruhi finding what she always wanted to find... but finding it in her own person, instead of in the outside world.

And, at the same time perhaps, she finds that since she's extraordinary, a relationship with a "normal" guy named Kyon, is something that appeals to her as a way of keeping her grounded. The ultimate ying/yang juxtaposition ending.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:33   Link #262
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Exactly.

I get what you meant now; it would be very odd for Haruhi, aware of her vast powers, to still be wanting to encounter strange outside forces.

She herself is a strange force, and if she knows this, she should come to become happy in her own skin.

That, to me, would be a good way for the franchise to end. With Haruhi finding what she always wanted to find... but finding it in her own person, instead of in the outside world.

And, at the same time perhaps, she finds that since she's extraordinary, a relationship with a "normal" guy named Kyon, is something that appeals to her as a way of keeping her grounded. The ultimate ying/yang juxtaposition ending.
And I think, additionally, she might come to appreciate a bit more that there are varying manifestations of the strange and wonderful that didn't fit into her simplistic paradigm. Case in point: Kyon is a 'normal' human in most senses, but he is also possessed of a personality that Haruhi's not likely to find in too many other places. There's a reason everyone wants Stupid Sexy Kyon.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:45   Link #263
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I really wish for her to keep her powers.
If she looses them I will kill Tanigawa.
Oh, btw, how long does it take for a Translation to come out on Baka-Tsuki, (whenever the novel DOES come out)
I also wish that Haruhi realizes she's what she's been looking for and is a bit kind of..shaken(?) by it. 'Cuz, if you someone you know just walks up to you and says "You're God " your first instinct is to not believe them, but, maybe if it was Kyon, she's believe.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:47   Link #264
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
And I think, additionally, she might come to appreciate a bit more that there are varying manifestations of the strange and wonderful that didn't fit into her simplistic paradigm. Case in point: Kyon is a 'normal' human in most senses, but he is also possessed of a personality that Haruhi's not likely to find in too many other places. There's a reason everyone wants Stupid Sexy Kyon.
Kyon's personality is... unusual. That's certainly true. Why the girls go for him, I'm not quite sure. Perhaps he, ironically, comes across as a good listener; this would certainly be true if we assume that most/all of his narration is purely in his head, and not being mumbled out.

He is perhaps more attentive than your average guy. He is classy in his own way; like a lot of harem leads, he's not taking advantage of the girls that are interested in him. And, in Kyon's case, he has good reasons to be indecisive over the girls... there's a lot of risk, in all directions.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:47   Link #265
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Haruhi: Best anime character that ever walked the earth.

I mean, she pretty much can do what she wants, or she will destroy the world, she's invincible.

Hell, she's a freaken god.

Plus, without her, the serise wouldn't be that interesting.

Would be like some, nothing happening sarcasm buff (Not that Kyons sarcasm is bad, I actually consider it to be another main highlight of the anime, it just wouldn't be the same without Haruhi around).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Kyon's personality is... unusual. That's certainly true. Why the girls go for him, I'm not quite sure. Perhaps he, ironically, comes across as a good listener; this would certainly be true if we assume that most/all of his narration is purely in his head, and not being mumbled out.

He is perhaps more attentive than your average guy. He is classy in his own way; like a lot of harem leads, he's not taking advantage of the girls that are interested in him. And, in Kyon's case, he has good reasons to be indecisive over the girls... there's a lot of risk, in all directions.
Maybe it's because he always has a sarcastic comment about something, Kyon's pretty cool, when you think about it.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:48   Link #266
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Main one: If he chooses anyone other than Haruhi, the world ends
Old 2009-10-14, 21:53   Link #267
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Main one: If he chooses anyone other than Haruhi, the world ends
Marrying Haruhi would be hilarious.

Cause Haruhi might replay the marriage 10000000 times.

So he would have to find someway to make it not as romantic and stuff.

I'd LOVE to see that.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:55   Link #268
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Haruhi: NO! I'm re-doing this! We have to have Mikuru and Yuki dancing the Hare Hare Yukai in the background or I WON'T GET MARRIED!!!
Kyon: yare, yare..
Old 2009-10-14, 22:12   Link #269
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Quote:
Haruhi: NO! I'm re-doing this! We have to have Mikuru and Yuki dancing the Hare Hare Yukai in the background or I WON'T GET MARRIED!!!
Kyon: yare, yare..
Lolz, I was meaning like in the endless 8 episodes.
Old 2009-10-14, 22:20   Link #270
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Koizumi: We've entered an endless recursion of time..
Kyon: AGAIN?! FOR HOW FUCKING LONG?
Koizumi: you tell him, Nagato.
Yuki: This would be 10238627362859753842368905096858297245868'th time you've gotten married.
Kyon: OH SHI-
Old 2009-10-14, 22:24   Link #271
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Quote:
Koizumi: We've entered an endless recursion of time..
Kyon: AGAIN?! FOR HOW FUCKING LONG?
Koizumi: you tell him, Nagato.
Yuki: This would be 10238627362859753842368905096858297245868'th time you've gotten married.
Kyon: OH SHI-
Poor Kyon-kun.

Oh well, at least it will be a memorable marrage, LOL.
Old 2009-10-14, 22:26   Link #272
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Emperor View Post
Oh well, at least it will be a memorable marrage, LOL.
For Yuki. Everyone else forgets it right afterward.
Old 2009-10-14, 22:31   Link #273
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

I wonder what Kyon has to do this time to make the loops stop?
Old 2009-10-14, 22:31   Link #274
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
right, we wouldn't want that to happen to her again
Old 2009-10-14, 22:34   Link #275
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Forget the wedding, what if she replays the honeymoon?
Old 2009-10-14, 22:37   Link #276
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
He gets desa vu's

Poor Yuki actually when you think about it, she has to put up with the same thing over and over.
Old 2009-10-14, 22:42   Link #277
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Ya know, I have to wonder at that whole "If Kyon chooses anyone other than Haruhi, the world ends" thing. Sure, presently I wouldn't place any bets to the contrary, but down the line...well. I guess you can say I have a lot of faith in Haruhi's growth. I think, when she finally gets to a point where she can be totally honest with herself, she'll learn a lot, and one of the things I expect/hope she'd learn is that her feelings for Kyon don't demand he be her possession, because let's face it, even at her sweetest moments, she's still presently thinking of him as her Kyon before she's thinking of him as just Kyon. I don't see that always being the case, though, because outgrowing that would fit neatly alongside outgrowing her other perceived needs for outside factors to revolve around her.

Quote:
Forget the wedding, what if she replays the honeymoon?
Spoiler for Do not believe in spoilers, believe in me who spoils you!:

Last edited by Ricky Controversy; 2009-10-14 at 23:07.
Old 2009-10-14, 22:44   Link #278
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

What i would reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like to see is what kind of "penalties" Haruhi would come up with every time Kyon is late after finding out about her powers

no mercy for the fool
Old 2009-10-14, 23:06   Link #279
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Quote:
Ya know, I have to wonder at that whole "If Kyon chooses anyone other than Haruhi, the world ends" thing. Sure, presently I wouldn't place any bets to the contrary, but down the line...well. I guess you can say I have a lot of faith in Haruhi's growth. I think, when she finally gets to a point where she can be totally honest with herself, she'll learn a lot, and one of the things I expect/hope she'd learn is that her feelings for Kyon don't demand he be her possession, because let's face it, even at her sweetest moments, she's still presently thinking of him as her Kyon before she's thinking of him as just Kyon. I don't see that always being the case, though, because outgrowing that would fit neatly alongside outgrowing her other perceived needs for outside factors to revolve around her.

Spoiler for Do not believe in spoilers, believe in me who spoils you!:
The Spoiler is epic win.

I can just imagen Koizumi walking in on them, to tell them pretty much the same thing, and Kyon being like "Get the f**k out of here."
Old 2009-10-14, 23:43   Link #280
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Koizumi:Well then, let's begin ;D *takes off clothes*
Kyon:GET.OUT.
Haruhi: NOO! KOIZUMI-KUN! LEAVE!
Koizumi: If that is what you wish. *leaves without clothes*
Closed Thread

Tags
characters