AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2009-12-09, 21:10   Link #81
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
was just wondering if in Railgun about does Touma have a part to play at al in the series and if so is he a main or supporting character?
Old 2009-12-09, 21:16   Link #82
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
was just wondering if in Railgun about does Touma have a part to play at al in the series and if so is he a main or supporting character?
So far he's made 2 appearances and that's it. It's highly unlikely that he'll be appearing at all for a while at least.
Old 2009-12-09, 22:05   Link #83
Miraluka
Banned

Welll Touma is only a side character in Railgun and has 2 appearances left to the next arc in the later parts.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 01:25   Link #84
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
cheers for that guys
Old 2009-12-13, 16:46   Link #85
HyperCube

I have a question:

What are the names of the 5 Elite schools in Academy City?
HyperCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 20:16   Link #86
General_Asakura
Random Lazy Dude

So there's seven level fives, we've met Misaka and accelerator, will we ever meet the others?
Old 2009-12-13, 20:54   Link #87
BlueDo

We will possibly meet one more and see a glance of another.
By the next episode, if you see random girls introduced, then that's a confirmation.
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 03:50   Link #88
HyperCube

umm,i didn't say the 5 elite espers,i said elite schools (like Tokiwadai)

I heard there is 5 (including Tokiwadai) so i want to know the 4 others
HyperCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 06:57   Link #89
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

@HyperCube
BlueDo wasn't answering your question, it was General Asakura question.

As for your answer for your question:
I only know 3 of the 5 elite schools of Academy City. They are Tokiwadai, Kirigaoka Academy for Girls and Nagatenjouki Academy.
Old 2009-12-23, 01:53   Link #90
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Send a message via MSN to Apache Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to Apache Thunder
You know what I want to know?

1. What's the maximum size of the object that Mikoto can use in a railgun attack?

She is shown to only use coins from what I know. Is this just a personal preference? Easy access to said object? Or a limit with her power? I would think that she could use ball bearings which tend to be of higher densities then coins and thus would be more destructive. I've watched a few videos of real Rail guns. Full size military prototype rail guns are shown to fire much much larger things. On par with brick sized objects. Also, spherical objects are more aero dynamic and less drag. It would also be easier to toss said object into air and flick it properly in the way that she does it. The coins are narrow in width and if she doesn't catch the coin in the right position, there's a chance of a misfire.

2. Is the cool coin flip she does before the attack just for show or does it have any functional purpose to her attack?

The coin flip did prove to be a fail point in her attempt to stop the frog toy from exploding in the episode with the graviton case. Altered gravity near the object cause the coin to fall towards the object and thus Mikoto did not expect this. (and hence the failed attack). Though if she was good with physics she should have known that graviton induced implosion of a stuffed toy might produce an gravitational field in excess to that of Earth's natural field. Thus she could have corrected for it. But yet she didn't.....

It begs to question why she needs to do it in a emergency situation like with the frog toy incident. It leads me to believe she has to do something like that for the attack to work. From what I know about real rail guns, the object has to have a starting velocity before launched. But this is because the object would cause damage to the rails (the part that gives rail guns their name) and in some cases even get welded to the rails if not already moving.

Obvoisely the actual "rail" for Mikoto is either her hand and/or arm. Thus the projectile does not need a initial starting velocity as there is no solid surface guiding it. The coin never makes contact with anything except her fingers during the attack. There is nothing to produce friction or weld the projectile to during the launch. :P

3. How many consecutive shots can she take in a certain time frame?

That is all!

Last edited by Apache Thunder; 2009-12-23 at 02:08.
Apache Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 03:05   Link #91
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Hmm, I'll try to answer this.

1. For one, this was not entirely explored upon in the series. I have a hunch she can go for much larger items, but just as long as it doesn't exceed the size of her hand. For much larger ones than that, she might need to exceed Level 5.

2. Flipping the coin gives it a spin (centrifugal force) which amplifies the attack. It also makes the timing to activate the "railgun" at the precise moment so that she keeps her hands from the trajectory. What happened in the Graviton Incident was that she lost the timing to fire the Railgun when the Gravity Nerd's power began to act on her projectile.

3. That's a tough one. @_@ By my estimates, she can fire one at least every 10-20 minutes. Don't take my word for it though.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 03:54   Link #92
stillmissing

Mikoto uses arcade tokens specifically to limit the damage. The low mass minimizes damage, and of course as the token is melted by the friction, this limits the range to 50m, further limiting the destruction.

Mikoto does not need to flip the coin. This is just the animators making it look cool.

The last question has a clear canonical answer. She can fire 8 rounds per minute, or once every 7.5 seconds.
stillmissing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 07:30   Link #93
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Oh crap, I forgot about
Spoiler for Railgun anime:
D:
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2009-12-23, 12:06   Link #94
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache Thunder View Post
Obvoisely the actual "rail" for Mikoto is either her hand and/or arm. Thus the projectile does not need a initial starting velocity as there is no solid surface guiding it. The coin never makes contact with anything except her fingers during the attack. There is nothing to produce friction or weld the projectile to during the launch. :P
Actually, I believe this is how Mikoto's railgun is set up (quoting my post from the Touma's Power: What can he block ? thread):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
This "recoil" force felt by the wielder actually comes from the original [recoil] force caused by the rails pushing on the support material (which happen to be the breech in traditional railguns) in a direction opposite that of the projectile's. Now, how is Mikoto's railgun set up?
  • The projectile is the coin, obviously. As it is made of conductive material, then it also serves as the armature.
  • She is the power source.
  • The rails are not really rails. Instead, she summons two (four even) parallel electrical currents going in opposite directions.
  • Somehow she is able to control these currents perfectly such that they are traveling along the same length and are able to stay on their initial positions. No wonder she's a Level 5 -- if maintaining such conditions are easy enough, then we would be seeing at least Level 3 electromasters shooting high-velocity railguns.
Now, what happens when the circuit is closed (when the coin is tossed into the system)? The Lorentz force created by the current accelerates the armature away from the power supply. In traditional rail guns, the recoil effect is in the form of the rails pushing at the breech, as said above. Here, the resulting recoil force accelerates air occupying the area where the current is flowing (which is accounted for in all illustrations so far), causing a gust of wind flowing towards Mikoto (and continuing behind her, etc.). Reasons why this is not dangerous to her (as someone who has complete control over the system) should be obvious.

Last edited by Ice Block; 2009-12-23 at 12:07. Reason: bolded for emphasis
Ice Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 16:52   Link #95
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Send a message via MSN to Apache Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to Apache Thunder
Just started reading the manga for it. The abiltiy power measurement she had said she could fire 8 a minute. So that answers that. :P

I recall it saying that in the anime too. But I guess I forgot.
Old 2009-12-27, 04:14   Link #96
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Loli-sensei, next episode..

Does any part of To Aru series ever state what Komoe's power is?
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 04:29   Link #97
shitashii

she doesnt have any power
shitashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 16:39   Link #98
Miraluka
Banned

But since she is not a esper, she was able to use magic.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 03:51   Link #99
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

So wait, since she did perform magic with Index, does that make her vulnerable to a one-hit kill if she decides to pursue being a psychic?

Old 2009-12-28, 11:09   Link #100
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Magic isn't something like with esper powers that is always active to some degree. She used magic before she was an esper so no harm was done. No harm will be done if she then becomes an esper. Espers have the "AIM Field". However there isn't an equivalent of that in magic.

It's just from that moment on she can't use magic again without getting injured from it.

Tags
q&a