AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-16, 06:54   Link #41
lamer_de

Quote:
It is not currently being subbed by this unknown group even though their work is becoming available on the net for the very first time.
*beep*, wrong. BT maybe, but it's been around on ed2k and other p2p apps for quite some time. I have up to ep 13 (with 5,8 and 12 missing :P), but will wait for Seichi to watch it, as at least the video quality will be higher. But I believe that the trans quality will be higher aswell

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2004-01-16, 07:27   Link #42
kuru

The "unknown group" is unknown only if those who digitized the VHS tapes decided to cut the credits. The original tapes have full credits, but they didn't put them over the anime but in the end of the tape.

Sakon was started on VHS by a group called Odyssey Anime. They were a very good group, specially as they would do not only popular anime, but also anime nobody else would touch (Utsu no Miko, for instance, that they fully subbed as Heavenly Chronicles, or Glass Mask TV, that they also fully subbed or a very rare old movie called Run Melos).

Their page was at www.odysseyanime.com (if you use http://web.archive.org/ you'll probably be able to find some old versions).

Some works Odyssey has done:

D4 Princess
Gdleen OVA
Carol OVA
Legend of Basara
Suddenly Princess (Detatoko Princess)
Vampire Princess Miyu TV
Yokohama Shopping Log (first OVA series)
You're Under Arrest Special
You're Under Arrest movie
Nadesico movie
Card Captor Sakura movies 1&2
several Lupin III movies (Orders To Assassinate Lupin, Sword That Cuts Through Steel, Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure, To Hell With Nostradamus, Secret of Twilight Gemini, Fujiko's Unlucky Days, $1 Money War)
Heavenly Chronicles (Utsu no Miko)
Gal Force Revolution
Fortune Quest OVA

The 2 series Odyssey didn't finished were Ayatsuri Sakon (that they called Puppet Master Sakon) and Android Announcer Maico 2010. This because they had a conflict betweern the 2 main members (Robert D Yarbrough & Donna R Watson) and decided to finish the group.

After that, Robert Yarbrough decided to continue Sakon as "Gnomish Anime" but he didn't finish it too.

Odyssey/Gnomish did the first 16 episodes of Sakon, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not sure if Seichi's version will be better in translations. Odyssey was always well regarded for their translations and a new translation doesn't mean it'll be a better translation. But I'lll probably like Seichi's version better if they keep the honorifics (something that Odyssey didn't do).

Glass Mask:

Run Melos:

Utsu no Miko:

D4 Princess:

Detatoko Princess:

Carol:

Gdleen:

Last edited by kuru; 2004-01-16 at 08:04.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 08:22   Link #43
K_R
also known as K!

And when will seichi release episode 4!?

I hope I can get it out this weekend, along with 5.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 21:38   Link #44
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Revenge of the Zombie Anime!

Wow episode four of Ayatsuri Sakon! - now I really have seen everything

The last I saw of that was over a year ago. It's kind of neat how with the current lull in new shows, some old ones are coming back from the dead. There's a ton of poor neglected shows I'd love to see renewed interest in: Ask Dr. Rin, Gakkou no Kaidan, Kodocha (in AVI format), Konjiki no Gash Bell, Ashita no Nadja, Kasumin, Detective Academy Q and I'm sure quite a few I'm forgetting.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 03:00   Link #45
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

AnimeCo is still working on Ashita no Nadja. If you check on their website, the next few eps are getting worked on. I hope A-E/Aoshi still keeps on subbing Konjiki no Gash Bell!! That's a great series.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 03:24   Link #46
K_R
also known as K!

But, when will sakon 05 be released... ?

Old stuff is good, but acquiring raws is a pain ~

Last edited by K_R; 2004-01-19 at 05:09.
Old 2004-01-19, 03:25   Link #47
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

I don't know that any of the series I mentioned have been completely dropped - it's just that they tend to be overlooked. They're kind of the runts of the anime litter I guess, but some really are pretty good and deserve a little fanfare. I'm sure many people have a favorite series of this type, and with luck maybe they'll get some attention now that the new shows have slowed a bit.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 16:18   Link #48
K_R
also known as K!

Ayatsuri Sakon 05

There's a surprise in the episode for the viewers... Let me know what you think about it, and whether I should sprinkle more in, in future episodes.
Old 2004-01-19, 16:53   Link #49
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Hm, I'm sure to check it out! Downloading right now!
I loved this series when I first saw it on VHS and I am very glad to see a good fansub group give us quality episodes! Thank you, I'll write my thoughts on ep5 after I finish it ^^
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 23:31   Link #50
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

OMG! Haha! That was great!
Old 2004-01-20, 03:48   Link #51
dee
dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuru
The "unknown group" is unknown only if those who digitized the VHS tapes decided to cut the credits. The original tapes have full credits, but they didn't put them over the anime but in the end of the tape. [/b]
...And that happens a lot.

Quote:
Sakon was started on VHS by a group called Odyssey Anime. They were a very good group, specially as they would do not only popular anime, but also anime nobody else would touch (Utsu no Miko, for instance, that they fully subbed as Heavenly Chronicles, or Glass Mask TV, that they also fully subbed or a very rare old movie called Run Melos).[/b]
Odyssey was indeed a damn good fansub group. That was true they provided rare anime, though, I believe they were influenced and got several sources from the Techno Girls.

Quote:
Their page was at www.odysseyanime.com (if you use http://web.archive.org/ you'll probably be able to find some old versions).
Ah... you're taking me back...

Quote:

Some works Odyssey has done:

D4 Princess
Gdleen OVA
Carol OVA
Legend of Basara
Suddenly Princess (Detatoko Princess)
Vampire Princess Miyu TV
Yokohama Shopping Log (first OVA series)
You're Under Arrest Special
You're Under Arrest movie
Nadesico movie
Card Captor Sakura movies 1&2
several Lupin III movies (Orders To Assassinate Lupin, Sword That Cuts Through Steel, Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure, To Hell With Nostradamus, Secret of Twilight Gemini, Fujiko's Unlucky Days, $1 Money War)
Heavenly Chronicles (Utsu no Miko)
Gal Force Revolution
Fortune Quest OVA

The 2 series Odyssey didn't finished were Ayatsuri Sakon (that they called Puppet Master Sakon) and Android Announcer Maico 2010. This because they had a conflict betweern the 2 main members (Robert D Yarbrough & Donna R Watson) and decided to finish the group.
I don't agree with that one, but I'm not going to discuss their private business here.

Quote:
After that, Robert Yarbrough decided to continue Sakon as "Gnomish Anime" but he didn't finish it too.

Odyssey/Gnomish did the first 16 episodes of Sakon, if I'm not mistaken.
No, you're right, because I have my SVHS master of 13-16.

Quote:
I'm not sure if Seichi's version will be better in translations. Odyssey was always well regarded for their translations and a new translation doesn't mean it'll be a better translation. But I'lll probably like Seichi's version better if they keep the honorifics (something that Odyssey didn't do).
Well, Odyssey's method of translation was to appeal to the American audience. Although at that time, many in the community didn't agree with their style, but quality of the translations weren't questioned.

Odyssey was among the last of well respected traditonal fansubbers. Groups such as Tomodachi, Silverwynd, The Techno Girls, (now DVD) etc. Not only provided video quality, but as well in translations. Today, I have yet to see anyone come close.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 15:28   Link #52
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Seichi, I noticed a typo in episode 05
at about 22:35 it says
"Ccould" instead of "could"
Old 2004-01-20, 15:56   Link #53
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
Seichi, I noticed a typo in episode 05
at about 22:35 it says
"Ccould" instead of "could"
<smacks K>
(j/k)
Thank you
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 16:08   Link #54
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Also the grammar in episodes 4 and 5 was occasionally a little bit... odd. You need to smack your editor and QC. Episodes 1-3 were better.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 16:48   Link #55
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Also the grammar in episodes 4 and 5 was occasionally a little bit... odd. You need to smack your editor and QC. Episodes 1-3 were better.
I just watched the first episode, I thought it was OK until that guy on the motorcycle...
Spoiler:

That was great!

Now I've already downloaded episode 2-4. (still need to watch them though)
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 06:45   Link #56
K_R
also known as K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
今週、沢山試験があるから、第4話と第5話はちょっと。。。皆、ごめんね。修整版が欲しい?
Old 2004-01-21, 08:33   Link #57
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
今週、沢山試験があるから、第4話と第5話はちょっと。。。皆、ごめんね。修整版が欲しい?
Rough translation: Because he had exams, the 4th and 5th episodes contain some errors, would you like re-done versions of these episodes?

( Just thought I'd translate it, please ignore any spelling and grammar errors in my translation, as I'm not planing to do a second version of it. )

I only watched episode 1-3.
(Which were great by the way, thanks!)

I already downloaded episode 4, I'll let you know what I think after I watch it.

EDIT: I watched episode 4, and I honestly didn't notice any grammar or spelling errors...don't know about episode 5.

Could someone give some examples of bad grammar/spelling in episode 4? (or 5 for that matter, but I haven't watched that one yet.)

Last edited by a_nevels666; 2004-01-21 at 09:55.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 12:03   Link #58
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Hmm, well even though it was a funny commercial, I would rather it be left out in future episodes. You could do a commercial pack of all the funny commercials you picked up and offer those separatly. I'm sure some people would download them. Anyway, I would prefer my anime commercial free :)
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 17:03   Link #59
krusher

I thought it was funny and dont have a problem with them as long as they arent too long.
krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-21, 17:21   Link #60
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I liked the commercial. It added some of the flavor of a real japanese broadcast. I'd love it if you added one commercial in each epiosode. In the future please sub them even though the dialogue is pretty lame.

People who don't want to see them can always skip forward. If you use a real video player (BSPlayer, CoreMedia Player, Media Player Classic) it can skip forward 10 seconds with the press of one button. Three button clicks and you're looking at the eyecatch.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote