Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-01-23, 11:55   Link #1281
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
As for the anime shopping places I still love Nagano Broadway best of all. But I enjoyed both Ikebukuro and Akihabara. Sunshine city in Ikebukuro is kind of fun (although I am not sure if I'd recommend for a first visit as there is so much else).

Honestly just in Tokyo there are so many places to find anime goods, it's insane. I mean there are 4 Mandarake's just in Tokyo.
There's no trouble looking for otaku stuff in any decent city really....

Any second hand shop, if you are desperate....will have hordes of games and stuff.
Old 2014-01-23, 12:10   Link #1282
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Indeed you saw through me I deeply wanted to do the fuji san but my mates doesn't share my excitation and above all, it can be pretty tiring, kind of ruining the next two days if it was too hard for the body.
You can combine Fuji with a stay in Hakone, in fact should you visit either, I recommend it. Still though, despite being famous, I would agree with your friends that it shouldn't be a priority in such a short visit. I think that day-trips in Kamakura+Enoshima and/or Nikko+Senjogahara are much better choices.

Now something I totally forgot, while in Tokyo, try to visit comitia, it's less crowed than comiket and comic1 and focuses on original works. It also has a great variety in merchandise, unlike the more focused doujinshi expos. The next ones are Feb 2nd, May 5th and Aug 31st.

Quote:
As for Shin-Osaka, people told me the same, the evening/night are much more interesting there than Kyoto or Nara, so we probably stay all nights at Osaka and when we want to go to Kyoto/Nara we take the shinkansen.
Again, I agree with your friends. Having a walk in Dotonburi is interesting, as well as the castle and the park of the shrine where they protect Kusanagi. But there are far more interesting and iconic places in the area.

Quote:
Another question, is it better to use a travel agency or going free as I think doing? We fear some "unexpected" problems, but heh, it's Japan we aren't going in the wildness, for me the worst problem that could happen is being refused in an hostel.
This depends on how experienced and picky you are. My brother arranged everything himself, but he mainly stayed in hotels and occasionally couch-surfed. When I travel alone, I use Toyoko Inn, but that's more me being lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Stop spreading your sinful, depraved lies in this forum you evil heretic!
The Abyss stares back at you pure-hearted shounen

Quote:
You can drop by Iga-Ueno and look for a BBQ house. There is barbeque house and awesome meat. Inclusive of a cute waitress there. It is recommended that you go to the nearby ninja castle to learn a few skills to stalk get to know her better.
About these ninja villages, I haven't visited myself, but heard from several travelers that unless one is into Naruto and the like, it doesn't worth the visit... and personally I agree since the grand shrine of Ise is close by and far more significant historically, religiously and scattered within an imposing ancient forest.

Quote:
Kinkakuji is a nice place. I managed to catch a photo of one of its attractions here, though it is small.
It's one of "must go" places in Kyoto along Ginkaku temple, Fushimi Inari grand shrine, Nijou castle and Gion (from Heian shrine to Kiyomizu temple), but be prepared for hordes of tourists and inconvenient transportation. It doesn't help also that they are far away from eachother.

And that's just the most important sites that none should miss. I also enjoyed my visit to Toei movie village, which mainy now is an attraction for kids, it kept most of my beloved films' sets intact. NE (Arashiyama) from there you can plan a walk along countless temples and shrines, which might not as famous as the ones in Gion/Higashiyama, but really worth the look... and are less crowed.

Also consider the temples in the centre and south of the city (Honnou-ji, where Oda Nobunaga died, East and West Hongan-ji, Tou-ji with its impressive pagoda and Shousei Garden).

And as I wrote already along with Nara try to squeeze in a trip to either Hieizan or Kōyasan. If you still have time try either Ise Taisha or Izumo Taisha (for the later better stay at least one night to visit Matsue for the castle, mounds and hiking paths). Hiroshima+Miyajima can be just a day-trip with shinkansen. Kyuushu and Shikoku are really hard to reach, and better left for another trip by themselves. Same is true for the Japanese Alps and the NE of Honshu.
Old 2014-01-23, 19:20   Link #1283
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I find both Ginkakuji and Kinkajuji a letdown, frankly, and utterly overrun by tourists. Fushimi Inari and Kiyomizudera are large enough that it doesn't feel so swamped by tourists (and I think they're more interesting to begin with).
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 04:11   Link #1284
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Speaking of Izumo Taisha....anyone here actually visited those Yamato Kofun burial tombs before?
Old 2014-01-24, 04:14   Link #1285
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Speaking of Izumo Taisha....anyone here actually visited those Yamato Kofun burial tombs before?
Fudoki no Oka in Matsue, yes.
Old 2014-01-24, 05:26   Link #1286
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Nice. Can you actually look inside the mounds themselves?
Old 2014-01-24, 07:15   Link #1287
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Nice. Can you actually look inside the mounds themselves?
At least in one at the NE corner of the site yes (first and second photos), I don't know about the rest. You can look inside, but not enter. They have reconstructions for that, and their museum gives a comprehensive explanation about the period... in japanese You can also climb on it's roof to get a better view of the site than their maps and diagrams offer.

Also should you visit the area anytime except summer or under heavy rain take the path through Kamosu shrine leading to Yaegaki shrine. It is clearly marked (with random facts about Lafcadio and Matsue in english too) and very beautiful. And both shrines really worth the visit.

Ah! both ends are served by bus at least every hour (usually every half hour) to the center, and to Kumano Taisha from Fudoki no Oka.

Fudoki no Oka

Haniwa Road

Kamosu shrine

Yaegaki shrine

Not my photos, in between

Last edited by AmeNoJaku; 2014-01-24 at 07:19. Reason: clarrification
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 09:21   Link #1288
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Zakoo, if you have a chance to go up north, take the train from Otaru. You might get a chance to chat with a MILF like my travel buddy (JokerD) admist a snowy background.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 10:26   Link #1289
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
At least in one at the NE corner of the site yes (first and second photos), I don't know about the rest. You can look inside, but not enter. They have reconstructions for that, and their museum gives a comprehensive explanation about the period... in japanese You can also climb on it's roof to get a better view of the site than their maps and diagrams offer.

Also should you visit the area anytime except summer or under heavy rain take the path through Kamosu shrine leading to Yaegaki shrine. It is clearly marked (with random facts about Lafcadio and Matsue in english too) and very beautiful. And both shrines really worth the visit.

Ah! both ends are served by bus at least every hour (usually every half hour) to the center, and to Kumano Taisha from Fudoki no Oka.

Fudoki no Oka

Haniwa Road

Kamosu shrine

Yaegaki shrine

Not my photos, in between
Explanations being in Japanese are not an issue. In fact, the more said about Yayoi period the better....total sucker for that part of Japanese history.

What's the place in summer like? It's closed then?
Old 2014-01-24, 10:57   Link #1290
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
What's the place in summer like? It's closed then?
No, it's open, but it's also between two lakes so all kinds of unpleasant life forms dominate the area... I heard and sounded logical.
Old 2014-01-24, 19:49   Link #1291
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If you're interested in early Japanese history, Asuka (Japan's first capital) might be an option too. It can easily be done as a day trip from Kyoto.
Old 2014-02-21, 17:37   Link #1292
AmeNoJaku

Watching InaKon (as the new official short title is), got me pondering on whether shintou shrine grounds are open at night. I have lived next to Meiji Jingu in Tokyo, which was only open from dawn to dusk (except Hatsumode, of course), same is true for the Ise Taisha, but I read that Izumo and Fushimi Inari Taisha grounds are open 24/7... has anyone visited any major shrines at night? Particularly Fushimi Inari would be even more mystifying without tourists and under the cover of darkness.

PS: Small shrines are practically accessible all time, I am not asking about them, rather those in the wild and/or with extensive grounds, like Kasuga in Nara or Daizafu near Fukuoka, Kumano Sanzan in Kii, etc.
Old 2014-02-21, 20:11   Link #1293
Kirarakim

That is one thing I do regret not visiting Fushimi Inari at night. And yes it is open all night
Old 2014-02-23, 08:19   Link #1294
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

One note though - if you go to Fushimi Inari at night anytime between say, April and October, slather yourself with DEET or you'll be devoured with extreme prejudice (and not by kistune).

As to the general question of whether shrines are open at night, most are. Exceptions, as you noted, are places like Meiji Jingu (government run) and Ise (with extreme restrictions on who can visit and when, and where they can go).
Old 2014-02-23, 18:04   Link #1295
Zakoo

What would there to see/do at a shrine at night? I'm quite curious now that I know it's open.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 18:16   Link #1296
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Atmosphere. The vibe can be very different than during the day.
Old 2014-03-09, 08:26   Link #1297
Shinji01

I visited temple and stuff in Kyo a few years back and it was great, though it was a heck of a lot of walking....
Now I want to go back and ride this:
Special subway cars in Kyoto

i wonder if it passes near the temples?

I just love how the Japanese can take something as classical as Kyoto and still make it moe.
Gotta love those japanese train companies.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 09:43   Link #1298
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji01 View Post
i wonder if it passes near the temples?.
The subway system of Kyoto sucks for sight-seeing
Old 2014-03-13, 21:09   Link #1299
Kirarakim

^ I've gotten lost while walking and took it a few times. Not as good as Tokyo but it gets you where you need to be.
Old 2014-06-13, 06:09   Link #1300
JokerD

A bit for those visiting Japan in the near future:
Japan Lets You Use Your Passport to Get Free Wi-Fi
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel