AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-03-02, 18:34   Link #1481
anselfir
Style Über Alles

mami's thing is a nice move but it must be a genre breaking thing in the context of magical girl anime.
Old 2011-03-02, 19:06   Link #1482
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am not sure where to put this idea I had, but this thread seems to fit.

I find it very interesting that Madoka uses the extremely old-school, practically ancient interpretation of both the Devil (QB) and Magic (evil all the time, even if it is used for good).

This is the Orthodox Catholic view that is so old, that I am not sure even Catholics believe in them any more. Yet here we are; QB doing the texbook role of the Devil, down to the every last detail. Demanding souls of the innocent in exchange for one's desire. And magic-use generating corruption regardless of intention, making all magic "dark". The only way to stay pure is to not use magic at all.

Strange, this scenario should have been cliché; but since it had been so many years, if not decades, since this trope had been used straight and without parody, it is actually refreshing.
Old 2011-03-02, 19:19   Link #1483
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am not sure where to put this idea I had, but this thread seems to fit.

I find it very interesting that Madoka uses the extremely old-school, practically ancient interpretation of both the Devil (QB) and Magic (evil all the time, even if it is used for good).

This is the Orthodox Catholic view that is so old, that I am not sure even Catholics believe in them any more. Yet here we are; QB doing the texbook role of the Devil, down to the every last detail. Demanding souls of the innocent in exchange for one's desire. And magic-use generating corruption regardless of intention, making all magic "dark". The only way to stay pure is to not use magic at all.

Strange, this scenario should have been cliché; but since it had been so many years, if not decades, since this trope had been used straight and without parody, it is actually refreshing.
I've often felt that yesterday's cliche can become tomorrow's novelty, and today's novelty can become tomorrow's cliche.

If somebody was to play a classic fantasy tale straight, it would probably now feel novel.
Old 2011-03-02, 19:52   Link #1484
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I've often felt that yesterday's cliche can become tomorrow's novelty, and today's novelty can become tomorrow's cliche.

If somebody was to play a classic fantasy tale straight, it would probably now feel novel.
There is also the fact that, the Medieval Europe interpretation of a Witch is a woman who made a contract with the Devil.

It's just so obvious, that it is easy to miss what is right in front of us.
Old 2011-03-02, 20:09   Link #1485
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar_z View Post
Next episode... A heated discussion is sure to follow.

1:Madoka 471 threads
2:Haruhi (first season) 464 threads
3:K-On (second season) 359 threads
4:K-On (first season) 354 threads
5:Angel Beats! 342 threads
WOOT!! in no time, Madoka will surely surpass haruhi! hellyeah!! XDDD and this show hasn't even ended yet.

btw,i'm glad k-on got tons as well despite its plotlessness.that's how popular it is!GO K-ON!
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 20:19   Link #1486
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir
mami's thing is a nice move but it must be a genre breaking thing in the context of magical girl anime.
And the wrecking crew managed a good job in doing the deconstruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu
1:Madoka 471 threads
2:Haruhi (first season) 464 threads
The catch is the number is still adding. Right now is on thread 483. 500 is in sight tomorrow.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 20:34   Link #1487
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

i heard haruhi had over a million posts in 2ch all-in-all..hmm..IF
MSMM was a 2-cour show, i'm certain it'd also reach million..XDD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 01:29   Link #1488
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

is it true this show is getting cancelled??? if soo FUCK YOU ISHIHARA

if not well just ignore me to my bliss in watching more of this awesome anime
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 01:39   Link #1489
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post

I doubt it. After all, many shows get complaints constantly, this show just happens to be EXTREMELY popular both in Japan and overseas. Remember people seeing Kyuube in Akihabara? No show gets that much advertisement all over a single area unless it is insanely popular. My only guess as to why this is in the news is simply because of it's said popularity and the genre it deconstructs (after all, most people think maho shojo anime are only for young girls).

I must bring up shows like Higurashi, School Days, and Panty and Stocking.

The first two were censored AFTER crimes were committed, not pulled off the air. P&SWGB was... well, it seemed to go without my problem. So why should MSMM be canceled? It contains very little actual gore, no sexual acts or undertones, and does not have as many of the yuri undertones of many maho shojo anime. (though this is personal opinion, I don't see quite as much of it in this as say, TMM and SM)

Also, I don't REALLY believe much of what Sankaku Complex puts out, and everyone asking about this seems to have gotten this information from that site. It's the same site that said we were not getting Catherine and that the company Atlus said that outright, and later said "oops, looks like it is coming out after all".

Last edited by Bane Rieko; 2011-03-03 at 03:39. Reason: rewording something as opinion
Bane Rieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 01:57   Link #1490
sa547
*Author

Quote:

One has to take a grain of salt whenever he/she checks out Sankaku, in the same way we buy and read a local tabloid (say, Abante, Remate, etc. ).

Anyway, given just how opinions from 2ch can utterly affect the anime industry (and perhaps even outside that circle; some of us already know how a Gainax executive had to resign from that studio after reacting to 2ch commentaries of one of their shows), the possibility of PMMM being taken down is remote.

I think no politician (seeking votes for the next parliamentary elections, of course) wants to get into a nasty tussle with 2ch for stupidly knocking PMMM off the air.

This show's gonna stay, and maybe soon be sticking around very long just like NGE.
Old 2011-03-03, 02:14   Link #1491
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

It seems to be pretty serious, but one of the possibility is that one of the fans 'intentionally' posted several false complaints in order to make it even more popular.

As long as it does not get cancelled (which is quite rare possibility depending on which factor you are looking at), all these noises are actually positive effect to the popularity of this series.
Old 2011-03-03, 02:23   Link #1492
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

well im releived because im planning to buy the DVD after the series ends (Checks wallet)

yep i have enough to get new lat miku , PSPNGP , Neptune for ps3 star driver DVD set and loads more

I HATE PIRACY but i love net streaming but I LOVE BUYIONG THE MERCHANDISE EVEN MORE
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 02:48   Link #1493
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane Rieko View Post
does not even have the yuri undertones of many maho shojo anime.
You sure we are watching the same anime?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 02:52   Link #1494
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
You sure we are watching the same anime?
There are certainly yuri undertones, but compared to say... Tokyo Mew Mew and Sailor Moon (one of which HAD a yuri relationship as canon), it is extremely downplayed. At least in my eyes, it doesn't seem quiet as "in your face" as usual.

I should have said NOT AS MUCH, not what I have up there, so thanks for making me realize my wording was wrong.
Bane Rieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 03:38   Link #1495
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

You forgot Cardcaptor Sakura.
Quote:

This is official art, by the way.
I also believe that Uroboshi wouldn't be fazed by "pro-children" groups; however, the possibility that the anime's plot will be "downplayed" is never non-existent. It's not only Uroboshi's action alone whether this piece of plot gets shoved into the story, so it still needs some time to determine if the news would affect the series or not.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 04:50   Link #1496
Kikoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane Rieko View Post
There are certainly yuri undertones, but compared to say... Tokyo Mew Mew and Sailor Moon (one of which HAD a yuri relationship as canon), it is extremely downplayed. At least in my eyes, it doesn't seem quiet as "in your face" as usual.

I should have said NOT AS MUCH, not what I have up there, so thanks for making me realize my wording was wrong.
I have to agree with that, current yuri undertones are pretty low for Madoka show, but raised a bit with Homura emotional burst in ep8.

Still if this show would want to do thorough magical girl genre deconstruction it should show a full blown kiss between Madoka and Homura next(be it in main story or flashback), showing yuri fully not as a hidden subtext, that would shock some at the end and would finish the deconstruction nicely, but also would mean Homura would die next :P
And then we would have a bittersweet end.

There's not many magical girl shows where actually two girls get together, there's that pair from SM, but they're already a couple when introduced, and whole focus is on Usagi and Mamoru relationship, maybe Nanoha and Fate are the only magical girls who got together in the end and are shown growing up(if in romantic or not relationship it doesn't matter, cause with current story going there's no need for them to find boyfriends, have kids, since they have Vivio already, and Fate also has Erio and Caro, and they are fulfilled together both in work and as a happy family).

I would like to get kind "Devilman Lady" ending here in Madoka, Homura sacrificing for Madoka, and Madoka crippled or emotionally damaged would have to lead her life from now forever alone as the strongest magical girl, dark knight, since her wish would be for everyone to get brought back but to forget about her as a backslash even her family.

And it's nice to see that on that most popular shows list there's Madoka, K-On and Strike Witches seasons all in top10.
Kikoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 07:54   Link #1497
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Many well known work of literature and arts have many "controversies" surrounded it; people rioted over Stravinsky premiers, people tried to ban Brave New World, Lolita, and Catcher in the Rye, and people even killed John Lennon.

Anyway... part of the reason of the outcry against Madoka, is because Madoka is extremely popular - a success that has not seen in many years. (One can consider that as an compliment ; congratulations folk, I proclaim Madoka Magica has reached legendary status)

I will not worry about the show taking off the show at all. And frankly speaking, Sankaku Complex has a high degree of trolling and sensationalism. If it DOES get taken off the TV, it will be a sad day in freedom of expression.

Big Brother is watching your anime (and he is loving it). (sarcasm)
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 09:20   Link #1498
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

The funny thing is that Freezing is still airing, and if Madoka gets canned while Freezing still airs, I don't know what to say anymore... Though in the worse case, executive medling might affect what will happen in the show.

I vividly remember this same issue in Gundam SEED's airing about a Certain scene that got the ire of parents of those who watched SEED.
Old 2011-03-03, 10:09   Link #1499
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'll be truly shocked if Madoka Magica gets canned before it's finished airing.

It's running in the middle of the night on a Japanese TV station. Clearly this is not intended for children. You don't air new shows intended for children during the middle of the night.

Beyond that, it's not even particularly gorey.
Old 2011-03-03, 10:22   Link #1500
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's running in the middle of the night on a Japanese TV station. Clearly this is not intended for children. You don't air new shows intended for children during the middle of the night. .
Unfortunately, this is something a lot of people have a hard time grasping.

What's so horrifying about Madoka anyway? There has been little to no gratuitous violence so far.

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen