AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-04-04, 15:15   Link #181
Aidan
Am I bad? Yes... Very X(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I've never touched the manga (though i plan to soon), and after the first episode i'm finding myself liking her a lot.
Same with me, I haven't read the manga yet. I thought I'd dislike Clare at first, but guess what I like her after seeing her in action. Some reasons why? Not telling her name just like that. A very cool things in my eyes, with an intelligent reason to boot. Shes' not stupid, but calculated. Not caring if she dies. Emotionless and yet she still has feelings, be it not because she feels, but because of the things she remembers. A lot of very attractive features. A couple of other psychological tricks are also there, but I'll leave them out.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 15:18   Link #182
Jinx999

Pretty good episode but I have a significant complaint-

All the expo-speak!

Everybody spent a lot of time explaining things to the audience. It may have been necessary to introduce us to the world - but please show us, don't tell us.
Jinx999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 15:56   Link #183
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
I liked brutality of fights and as well as Clare's attitude and personality which supports quite well the image how it's possible to get harden to all sh** what you get by being different. Haven't read manga, just read about it from Omni's blog about new shows, sure you need more eps to see how things gets going, but I think they hit in nail with the overall atmosphere; I liked how things aren't on silver platter and world ain't fair. We need these kind of shows too, simple, gore, un-embellish(?) storytelling.

So once again I ended with Eclipse.
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 15:57   Link #184
DangerMouse

I definitely do not think that this show is running in a way that requires familiarity with the material. Many shows like this do not make things clear right off the bat. I haven't read the manga but I'm going to assume the first couple of chapters didn't do much more than world-building and introducing Claire as a strong but withdrawn character. If the relationship between various "levels" of people/monsters is going to play a huge part it's a reasonable place to begin.

I agree you have to give a character like this a few episodes. I don't know where they are going with her character since I'm not much of a manga fan only that there seems to be a lot of "world details" that are well thought out and not haphazardly thrown together involving herself and the other Claymores. My classic argument for this is really the show is going to be atleast 20-something episodes, "oh no ***-character is an enigma after one 20 minute episode"....if you expect to understand the character that quickly the viewer is better off watching anime films or overly shonen adventure series or harem shows where you can read the entire character based on their design and/or quirks.

I don't read much manga, but nothing annoys me more than manga fans badmouthing good anime because it doesn't just animate the panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Some reasons why? Not telling her name just like that. A very cool things in my eyes, with an intelligent reason to boot. Shes' not stupid, but calculated.
Both reasons I liked her as well.

I too like the brutality of the action. One of the best parts of dark fantasy and they nailed it. Hopefully the tougher opponents will allow for Madhouse to give us some more lavishly animated fights. I like the style of the animation in the fight and I love the camera angles of the last action scene.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 16:04   Link #185
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I definitely do not think that this show is running in a way that requires familiarity with the material. Many shows like this do not make things clear right off the bat. I haven't read the manga but I'm going to assume the first couple of chapters didn't do much more than world-building. If the relationship between various "levels" of people/monsters is going to play a huge part it's a reasonable place to begin.

I agree you have to give a character like this a few episodes. I don't know where they are going with her character since I'm not much of a manga fan only that there seems to be a lot of "world details" that are well thought out and not haphazardly thrown together involving herself and the other Claymores. My classic argument for this is really the show is going to be atleast 20-something episodes, "oh no ***-character is an enigma after one 20 minute episode"....if you expect to understand the character that quickly the viewer is better off watching anime films or overly shonen adventure series or harem shows where you can read the entire character based on their design and/or quirks.

I don't read much manga, but nothing annoys me more than manga fans badmouthing good anime because it doesn't just animate the panels.
You don't understand. I would have been happy with an enigmatic Clare if that is there attempt, but I didn't even get that. My friend mentioned to me that what I might have seen in Shonen Jump was an unpolished One-Shot like that which they present to the publisher for first reading and initial approval and not in fact the real touched up first chapter (basically Shonen Jump USA got lazy if thats the case). As such I might give episode one a chance and see if that gives me the enigmatic Clare I wouldn't mind seeing. The problem really is that I got the impression that the Clare in the preview is Clare and there is nothing else to see, in other words, in whatever it was I read they botched their apparent attempt at creating mystery surrounding the character and presented what we saw as the real deal without even a hint of intrigue that there might be anything (and I mean anything, tragic backstory, supressed emotions, different character traits, anything) more to the character. Now I'm not sure what I read, so I'm giving the anime a chance to see if it may have succeeded in that regard.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 16:23   Link #186
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well frankly i'd never even heard of the show until I watched it today, but I saw eclipses name pop up as the sub group so I thought id give it a shot.

Pretty glad I did...The first episode edged alittle towards the cliche side but the animation was spot on and I find clare a pretty interesting lead, so I think ill keep up with it and see where things lead.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 16:45   Link #187
masama
use the fōrks ~

what can I say. So much I want to talk about episode 1 but I guess one word sums it all - nice
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 16:58   Link #188
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
The problem really is that I got the impression that the Clare in the preview is Clare and there is nothing else to see, in other words, in whatever it was I read they botched their apparent attempt at creating mystery surrounding the character and presented what we saw as the real deal without even a hint of intrigue that there might be anything (and I mean anything, tragic backstory, supressed emotions, different character traits, anything) more to the character. Now I'm not sure what I read, so I'm giving the anime a chance to see if it may have succeeded in that regard.
I see what you don't like, but I dunno, I like that there is finally another rare character that doesn't give that all away and hides everything to strangers and isn't bi-polar or a badass with multiple levels of softness or a tough chick shooting off a sob-story right off the bat. While I want her to grow and change I don't want her to be suppressing sad emotions all the time for angst purposes I'd like to see her be serious and calculating and eventually sympathetic. Given that she's not exactly human anymore in the first episode I would think there's going to be a rather dark tragic backstory.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 16:59   Link #189
StrawHatLuffy23

This show is the best spring 2007 anime I've seen so far.
StrawHatLuffy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 17:11   Link #190
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
There are still a lot of anime that have yet to be aired this spring.

I've watched the first episode of Claymore, it was catchy to say the least. Houko Kuwashima did not sound like Kirika, Kagura or Yukio, so it was sort of nice to hear another shade of her voice range.

There were enough blood to make me go into Fantasy B-movies fanboy mode, music was alright. For a first episode, it delivered, as expect from Madhouse (I love this studio since the Kawajiri Golden Era).
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 17:14   Link #191
lommm
l'homme de lommm

wow all this discussion about clare not not being enigmatic enough or not having proper emotions and all of that.... people are making the strangest assumptions based either on:
A) the first couple chapters of the manga
B) the trailer !!! (never a good idea to judge characters based on trailers)
C) only the first ep (also not a good idea)

i really feel like this deserves spoiling but i think that the people who are complaining about this aren't going to watch the show no matter what we say so spoiling would only hurt people who like the show. suffice it to say our main character is not what you think. plain and simple.

as to the blood being red, red/purple, or purple... well, i know that human blood will be red and yoma blood will be purple. i like the theory that claymore blood should be red/purple and i would say that just because clare's blood was red doesn't mean that other claymore blood might not be red/purple. can't say anymore without treading into major spoiler territory, but that would be my theory...

i'm glad eclipse picked up the show. that means quality speed subs in dual formats!! sweet!! i love you eclipse!!
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 17:27   Link #192
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I see what you don't like, but I dunno, I like that there is finally another rare character that doesn't give that all away and hides everything to strangers and isn't bi-polar or a badass with multiple levels of softness or a tough chick shooting off a sob-story right off the bat. While I want her to grow and change I don't want her to be suppressing sad emotions all the time for angst purposes I'd like to see her be serious and calculating and eventually sympathetic. Given that she's not exactly human anymore in the first episode I would think there's going to be a rather dark tragic backstory.
Well, first episode gave away a bit on her "tragic" backstory.

Spoiler:

Are Claymore women only? Or is it just mostly women?
Old 2007-04-04, 17:31   Link #193
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I really like the Claymore manga, and love Houko Kuwashima, but I can't say I found ep1 particularly good. Bad OP, bad ED, mediocre voice-acting...

It's watchable, but I hope it gets better.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 17:39   Link #194
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Spoiler:

Major Spoilers

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-04, 17:39   Link #195
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

awww... Xellos beat me to it. I hope there might be a chance for a new male claymore. I only got to read up to volume 6, so idk if one is introduced beyond that point.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-04, 17:57   Link #196
ZODDGUTS

For me this was a solid episode really liked it. The manga does start off a bit slow so I have no problems with the first episode speeding this up. I really like Clare's character she does seem a bit flat at first but as the story goes on her character progresses you'll really get to understand her and as to why she is that way. She starts to open up a bit more with her time with Raki.

Anyways overall I liked how Madhouse handle the first episode hope they stay consistent witht the animation through out the series. BTW The series will get better and better starts off a bit slow but when it gets going it really gets good.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 18:32   Link #197
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
I just watched the first episode and this series seems very good. And i am so cyrriosu to knwo more about it i don't wanan wait for the eps. Does anyoen here know were I can get the manga?
Old 2007-04-04, 18:41   Link #198
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EadTaes View Post
I just watched the first episode and this series seems very good. And i am so cyrriosu to knwo more about it i don't wanan wait for the eps. Does anyoen here know were I can get the manga?
The bookstore.

It is license
Old 2007-04-04, 18:49   Link #199
lommm
l'homme de lommm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Method View Post
Spoiler:
i think you're probably right. it makes sense dramatically if he does this sooner or later... probably later... dunno though.

Last edited by lommm; 2007-04-05 at 02:51.
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 18:53   Link #200
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post

Spoiler:

I can most certainly guarantee that that did not happen in the early manga chapters I read. Something like that is really all I was looking for anything even slightly intriguing or mysterious about the character other than the fact she exists and kills monsters (That might have flown for something like an 8-bit games plot, but we're talking an action-drama series here). Good stuff then. Alright I'm in for an episode.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote