AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2007-08-27, 01:26   Link #141
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
I can totally see the first two happening. The later ones are true for everything so no need to comment on them.

EDIT: Indeed they probably went into Little Busters expecting something a lot like Kanon, Air, or Clannad. My current volume of knowledge suggests Little Busters is very different from the two previous games.

It can be hard for one to get into a game like Little Busters without feeling the immediate urge to compare it to previous Key games. Especially since fans have come to associate Key with the "Cute girls that die in tragic, tear-jerking stories," meme. It can be hard to judge Little Busters independently without that bias.

I think I'm fortunate in that aspect in that I haven't actually played the other Key games, only watched their anime versions, and can more readily approach Little Busters with an independent perspective.

In reality, as a slightly unrelated personal perspective, you can approach any piece of art or entertainment with one of two intentions: to see how good it is, or to see what it's about.

Hardcore Key game fans want to maintain an untarnished impression of the company and would most likely play Little Busters with the intent to see whether it lives up to Key's reputation, and when they find something that deviates from their expectations, they may come to feel betrayed by Key. It's a tiny fault, but betrayal is a strong emotion so it can contaminate the rest of their perception of the game.

Little Busters, as far as I've played it so far, is good for its own reasons.
I'm the opposite of this, I like seeing companies branching out and trying new ideas more. I know this is most definitely not how it works in Japan though. I've read that Japanese gamers like a sense of familiarity between games of the same franchise, which is probably attested to in Dragon Quest's unchanging base design and consistant uncontestable success more than any other product. With this I can see why a lukewarm Japanese response might be likely, but I also know it's not so different from past Key games as some people think, but I will not discuss why as it's a spoiler.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 02:56   Link #142
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

And thus I can clearly see why people have said the Refrain plot of the story redeems the game...

Spoiler:
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 03:22   Link #143
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm the opposite of this, I like seeing companies branching out and trying new ideas more. I know this is most definitely not how it works in Japan though. I've read that Japanese gamers like a sense of familiarity between games of the same franchise, which is probably attested to in Dragon Quest's unchanging base design and consistant uncontestable success more than any other product. With this I can see why a lukewarm Japanese response might be likely, but I also know it's not so different from past Key games as some people think, but I will not discuss why as it's a spoiler.
buh? i don't get what you're even saying since you're getting all the facts wrong?
the only games where maeda jun pulled off a "........................." ending are tomoyo after and air.
roan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 03:25   Link #144
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
And thus I can clearly see why people have said the Refrain plot of the story redeems the game...

Spoiler:
I think you are probably right. It's a bit of a different world in Japan, they really seem to prefer the familiar plot elements. I think it provides a sense of comfort, to the degree it's like when they are playing the game it's like a possession to treasure or like it's always been a part of them. Something's that aren't popular at a certain time because they are unfamiliar and fail to find an audience, also become popular later though, like with Mobile Suit Gundam, so who knows how this game will be looked back on 5 years down the line.

Man it's so not like me to try and get all philosophical and deep about what others might be thinking and feeling. It's pretty cool, I need to look into this area some more.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 04:05   Link #145
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

LOL... Kaioshin_Sama... are you becoming more philosophical these days??

But yeah, I think as humans we like things to remain the same - changes mean adaptation, which means effort exerted... I mean I could probably see myself swearing my head off if Kyoto Animation's art and animation quality changed completely and did a 180. But after all the dust settles, I'd look back and consider how everything is in the new light.

Little Busters! has only been released for a month (today!), so after all the initial response to the dramatic change in gameplay and plot "weaknesses" have subsided, maybe people will see how the game stands on its own two feet.
Old 2007-08-27, 04:38   Link #146
Honey_and_Cleaver

Why cant Kyosuke Natsume be the hero. Why is he the brother of Rin, like they set up the stage for Riki Made to couple with her, what shit. Its better Kyosuke get her, damn it. This game sucks. Im fed up with Riki Made types becoming protagonist, he should die or he should couple with Haruka Saigusa. This game sucks.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 14:32   Link #147
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Interestingly I was a little surprised to see what kind of guy Rikki is. The funny thing is, every male protagonist in every other game I've played in has been the manly, straightforward, cool type as opposed to the nearly feminine Rikki, so in a strange twist of things, Rikki's the refreshing change not the other way around.
Old 2007-08-28, 21:23   Link #148
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
As far as I know, this is the only Key game that scored a sub-80 score in Erogamescape. Even then, anything above 75 is supposedly pretty good already in that chart. I guess they put too much hype in the game (this is Key, what do you expect?) and when LB! turned out not to meet expectation, the backlash happened even if it's actually a decent game.

I don't think LB! is radically different than previous Key games either. The execution may be different but it's still the same-old "Mono no Aware" and melodrama. As far as diversity is concerned, Nitro+ and Type-Moon have Key beat in this aspect.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 11:24   Link #149
cyw1988
Japaholic

Send a message via MSN to cyw1988
Completed the game a couple of days ago... I thought it was pretty alright. Personally I felt that the true end would probably be Rin's End... as in the one after Refrain.
Spoiler for Do not click unless u really wanna get spoiled:

Overall, I would reccommend LB to someone who has a good grasp of the Japanese language and hopefully not a hardcore key fanatic. Someone new to key would also enjoy the story in this game imo. With that said, next up... seinaru kana!!
cyw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 00:01   Link #150
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
As far as I know, this is the only Key game that scored a sub-80 score in Erogamescape. Even then, anything above 75 is supposedly pretty good already in that chart. I guess they put too much hype in the game (this is Key, what do you expect?) and when LB! turned out not to meet expectation, the backlash happened even if it's actually a decent game.

I don't think LB! is radically different than previous Key games either. The execution may be different but it's still the same-old "Mono no Aware" and melodrama. As far as diversity is concerned, Nitro+ and Type-Moon have Key beat in this aspect.
Yeah well Type Moon needs to get over Fate stay/night and do something new. They have gone after the story and now before with zero. They need to work on something new >.> for a change... Unless they are and I haven't heard.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 18:37   Link #151
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Just to let you guys know that the soundtrack will be available for purchase to the general public on the 28th of Septemeber.

http://key.soundslabel.com/discography.htm
Old 2007-09-15, 04:20   Link #152
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Uuunnghh..... *nosebleed explosion*

NSFW:

http: //akibakko.net/115445

http: //akibakko.net/114950

(reattach links then copy-paste)

Key's first attempt at a super-sexy bishoujo heroine??? An overwhelming success at any rate.
Old 2007-09-17, 22:53   Link #153
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

LOL... I was wondering when high quality scans/vectors of those images would pop up! Good find Shinova!
Old 2007-10-17, 07:46   Link #154
haruruejutah

I know this may seem stupid... But whenever I run my game (even with applocale), the font comes out funny... All it shows are random hiragana, katakana and alphabets. Is there a specific font I need to use?
haruruejutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 08:59   Link #155
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Stumbled upon these fanarts... Do they belong here? =)

Edit:
< is this clannad or little busters or a cross or something? D:

Last edited by innominate; 2007-11-16 at 09:24.
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 13:14   Link #156
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Notice how much fanart there is of Rikki crossdressing.
Old 2007-11-17, 07:46   Link #157
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
Notice how much fanart there is of Rikki crossdressing.
I noticed and am deeply disturbed by that mere fact...

Meanwhile, some of these fanart aren't half-bad actually.

EDIT:

I just completed the game, however two CGs are missing from the Gallery... T_T... I dunno how to get them either.

Last edited by boggart; 2007-11-18 at 02:00.
Old 2007-12-06, 21:47   Link #158
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Now that I made it through the fall semester alive, I finally made time to finish this game. After 2 whole days of playing, I finally managed to get to the end. Yay... *pats self on back*

In terms of comments... well, there's really no argument to be made here about anything, so I'll just say what I liked and disliked.

First of all, in terms of individual scenarios...
Spoiler:

Now, in terms of Rin's scenario and Refrain...
Spoiler:

The good thing is, romantic love doesn't seem to be as big of an issue in this game, so Kyoani shouldn't have too much problem making this into an anime.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 23:26   Link #159
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

From the What Ero-games are your favorites at the moment? thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20071220

Key to release 18 kin version of Little Busters.

Iceing on the cake or a desperate attempt to improve sales ?
Continue your discussion and speculations!
Old 2007-12-22, 14:33   Link #160
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

A quick report on the reactions of the Kagikko community to the 18+ Little Busters announcement:
http://www.i-love-key.net/archives/2...usters_18.html

Interestingly, the public poll on "do you think there should be an 18+ version?" showed a neat 3-way split between "agree", "disagree", and "not sure yet".

If I had to join a party, I'd be the 俺の理樹が○○に汚されるのは許せないよ派 (I won't let my Riki get violated by XX party) under the unwelcoming side.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, ero-game, eroge, key, pc game, visual novel