AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.34%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.39%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.43%
Infinity 84 26.75%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 184 58.60%
Northern Cross 150 47.77%
Anata no Oto 55 17.52%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.11%
Yousei 98 31.21%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.20%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.55%
Lion 165 52.55%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.46%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.61%
Neko Nikki 20 6.37%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.17%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.71%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.61%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.03%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.84%
Aimo OC 52 16.56%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-06-11, 18:18   Link #261
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You know, having been raised in a certain puny East-Asian island and some goddess-forsaken archipelago, this is probably the first time I heard this expression. And I have yet to hear it or use it in a normal conversation. Usually you'd add a couple more words to that, and it'd mean "he sounds feminine, or he sounds gay", but it does not necessarily mean "you are gay".
Hmm, are you still living there? It's certainly popular with the young people today and you can hear it on TV a lot. It's more than you sound gay though... when you want to say you sounded gay, you would say (I'm using BIG5 here) 你說話好娘噢 or 你說話怎麼那麼娘啊. If you simply say "你好娘噢", it usually implied that the guy in question is acting in a very feminine manner like running with your thighs closed together or using utensils with your pinky pointed upward. For example, you could possibly say this to 蔡康永, the openly gay host of 康熙來了, and he probably won't be angry.

Quote:
I am willing to give them the benefit of doubt, well, at least 50%. I will treat the other 50% as a 'wonderfully appropriate comedic gold".
My money is that they have no clue since it's a slang word. It's accidental but so extremely funny. I literally LOL when I saw that scene.

Oh and if this post offends any forum members with a different sexual orientation than mine, please accept my apology. My intention is to purely point out this misunderstanding, not to make fun of guys who naturally act in a feminine manner (like my cousin, and I love him very much. )
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 18:50   Link #262
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
^ for a moment I thought I was in the wrong thread.

What was that song Ranka sings for commercial?
Old 2008-06-11, 19:36   Link #263
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Hmm, are you still living there? It's certainly popular with the young people today and you can hear it on TV a lot. It's more than you sound gay though... when you want to say you sounded gay, you would say (I'm using BIG5 here) 你說話好娘噢 or 你說話怎麼那麼娘啊. If you simply say "你好娘噢", it usually implied that the guy in question is acting in a very feminine manner like running with your thighs closed together or using utensils with your pinky pointed upward.
Either we first generation immigrants are horribly out of date, or I have not learned anything from watching variety shows (because I don't watch them). Shoot, and to think I just visited last year, I still failed to pick up new slangs.

Quote:
For example, you could possibly say this to 蔡康永, the openly gay host of 康熙來了, and he probably won't be angry.
Yeah, I tend to stay the heck away from variety shows, because it would seem, variety shows produced by major countries all have their shortcomings. Shortcomings that would ultimately massacre whatever interest I might have had for them.

Taiwanese variety shows in general are just lame as heck. Japanese variety shows on the other hand, are just freakishly cruel (its not a wonder why they have a program in the US appropriately titled "I survived a Japanese game show"). While German variety shows (the stuff they air in Austria, Switzerland and Germany). . . . ugh :facepalm:

And American variety shows are generally boring, imo.

Although many have approached me regarding shows like American Idol, while indicating one of the reasons to watch that is due to the existence of Simon, our beloved British judge.

But why the HELL should we trust the judgment of a British person! Remember folks, his country gave us the Spice Girls!

Quote:
My money is that they have no clue since it's a slang word. It's accidental but so extremely funny. I literally LOL when I saw that scene.
Now that I think about it, I am LoLing too

- Tak (and so I heard the Spice Girls are reforming to bring a charity concert to Dafur. Why? Haven't the people of Dafur suffered enough?)
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 04:58   Link #264
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

May'n and Megumi's NEW "Lion" single is now available for preorder.

Coming August 6th, 2008!

Amazon Japan = http://www.amazon.co.jp/o/ASIN/B001AKCYOY
CD Japan = http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VTCL-35033
pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 10:23   Link #265
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

It's an expression that's used fairly often, that's why I almost did a double take when Ranka did her little jig in front of Alto. The writers must've had to have known it, because it's wonderfully appropriate given our "Hime."

Offtopic: I think Kang Xi Lai Le is actually one of the more interesting shows to come out of Taiwan in a very, very long time.

Quote:
Either we first generation immigrants are horribly out of date, or I have not learned anything from watching variety shows (because I don't watch them). Shoot, and to think I just visited last year, I still failed to pick up new slangs.

Yeah, I tend to stay the heck away from variety shows, because it would seem, variety shows produced by major countries all have their shortcomings. Shortcomings that would ultimately massacre whatever interest I might have had for them.

Taiwanese variety shows in general are just lame as heck.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 10:39   Link #266
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
It does kinda make sense. The mandarin Chinese speakers in this forum should know that 你好娘 (Ni Hao Niang) is a slangy way of saying "You're very/so gay", right? If you live in Taiwan or developed part of mainland China, and you want to call out a guy for acting a bit feminine, you will say EXACTLY, "Ni Hao Niang".

So when Ranka sang this song in front of Hime-sama, she was basically telling him "gay gay gay gay, you're so gay!" When they planned this scene, they must have known right?? If they didn't, wow, what a wonderfully appropriate comedic gold here.
Oh my! Thank you for this tidbit! I'm actually not watching Frontier yet (I'm collecting the original Macross to re-watch it, then I must watch the other Macross series...), but I saw this scene and thought it was absolutely adorable.

I wanted to make a ringtone out of it... but now I think I may not use it. Upon hearing the actual meaning, though, a friend insists she must have it as a ringtone, herself, so it looks like I'll be extracting it.

This just makes me want to start studying Mandarin now, and not later as I've planned. Too bad I have too much else vying for my attention.

Quote:
BTW, The OST is a major win. I do think that it sold so many copies because, well, it really saved a lot of people the need to buy at least 3 or 4 singles. Of coursed the otakus will collect them all, but the casual anime fans would be fine just getting the OST. I can feel that Kanno-sama is having a lot of fun making tributes to Hollywood adventure and sci-fi films scores with this OST... I can smell tributes to Raiders of the Lost Arc, Pirates of the Caribbean, Top Gun, and of course, Star Wars. It's just a fun OST to listen to.
THIS is the single biggest reason I want to see this series. I only know a small portion of Kanno's work, but it has made me a HUGE fan. It's hurting me that I have to wait...

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 11:37   Link #267
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

o man, i shouldnt have asked for the lyrics that have sparked this kind of debate here

I think the song actually applied to the resturant mascot, not the customers, and i think it implies that the food is so good that it is like made by a very feminant lady, so everyone is welcome to eat in the resturant.

if there is such a resturant with this catchy song, heck i would go and check it out too.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 15:50   Link #268
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:

Taiwanese variety shows in general are just lame as heck. Japanese variety shows on the other hand, are just freakishly cruel [...]
Well, I'm an old-timer too, but my tsundere wife's from the island and we put a slingbox in her parent's home. Right now, our entertainment is basically slingbox-ed TV from Taiwan and Japan, Japanese drama (Last Friends is SOOO GOOD), and anime. Japanese game shows are not as bad as what you saw on youtube either... shows like TV Champion is better than anything on American TV. We don't watch Kang Xi Lai Le as much as we used to, since our favorite variety show is Japan's London Hearts. We don't watch US TV anymore, save a bit of Battlestar Galactica, so I canceled cable last month.

This is really off topic so forgive me for this one reply... won't talk about TV shows no more. Gomenasai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I think the song actually applied to the resturant mascot, not the customers, and i think it implies that the food is so good that it is like made by a very feminant lady, so everyone is welcome to eat in the resturant.

if there is such a resturant with this catchy song, heck i would go and check it out too.
If the song applied to the mascot, then basically they're saying in Chinese, that Niang Niang restaurant is gay friendly, cus, look how gay our mascot is! In fact let's all sing a song to commemorate our mascot's gayness. If you watch that commercial carefully, you can see that maybe they know what Niang really mean.

Oh BTW, The term "Niang Niang" (娘娘) means not "Musume Musume" like they assumed, but in fact, a term used to refer to Concubines of the Emperor. If a woman sleeps with the Emperor of China but she's not the Empress, you would call her XX Niang Niang, or Lady XX. Niang (娘) by itself means "Mom", not "Daughter". A real Chinese speaker would never open a restaurant called 娘娘, but for the Japanese/Chinese/Zentradi citizens of Macross Frontier, I guess that's a great name.

All I know that if I open a restaurant in Taiwan and just start blasting this song out of the front door, I would probably get a flaming brick thrown through my window. If I just sing this song randomly on the street I'd get into fist fights. There are a few people in this world who're not as secure about their masculinity like Alto the Hime-sama you know.

You know what, I just realized that Ranka-chan is a Fujoshi! Look at what kind of guy she likes! She even sang a song encouraging her long-limbed pretty boy to engage in behavior befitting a Yaoi doujin. We know what she has under her pillow now. Oh perhaps Sheryl the Tsundere is also fan of BL action? An anime which actively suggesting its main character should be a subject for BL doujinshi... Macross is ahead of its time!
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 17:56   Link #269
Same_Shark

I always thought the "Nyan" was a reference to the Japanese version of "meow" which is "nya."
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 19:05   Link #270
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
I always thought the "Nyan" was a reference to the Japanese version of "meow" which is "nya."
Thats part of the joke. It sounds like both words at the same time.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 19:46   Link #271
Same_Shark

Quote:
Thats part of the joke. It sounds like both words at the same time.

- Tak
Ah! I see now. Now you guys have given me a way to make fun of one of my gay friends!
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 23:54   Link #272
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

now how would u guys feel if some girl (cute) sings this song in front of u (just like ranka sings it to alto )?

i dont really know how to feel in this situation, but i know its a kool ring tone to my friends (never watch macross b4 ).
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 23:58   Link #273
nines
I much prefer the 2d

hmmm how do you add a ring tone without even adding one id like to add Infinity or Aimo as a ring tone I got like the old old school razor. Off topic sorry

Last edited by nines; 2008-06-13 at 00:11.
nines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 10:26   Link #274
Pachael
原作通り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Considering Evangelion's popularity probably the Death and Rebirth OST lol... I'm think I'll sign up for jpopmusic and ask if anyone has records on just anime osts.
I've found something from YKFan via ffbum:
http://ykfan.cn/bbs/thread-4845-1-1.html

Post-1990 Anime related albums in Oricon Top 10 on debut:

Debut week | Oricon Rank | Albums sold | Album Title / Composer or Type
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧蘭----------------------------
1990/03/26 9th 11,730 Samurai Troopers /TV Soundtrack
1993/08/30 7th 36,830 Yu Yu Hakusho Music Battle /TV Soundtrack
1994/03/28 10th 20,870 Yu Yu Hakusou OST Vol.2/TV Soundtrack
1994/05/09 5th 30,420 Yu Yu Hakusou Meikai Shitou Hen - Honoo no Kizuna/Movie Soundtrack
1994/06/13 9th 21,950 Ah My Goddess Music Collection Vol.2 Super/Soundtrack
1994/08/29 6th 35,700 Yu Yu Hakusou Music Battle 2/TV Soundtrack
1995/02/13 9th 38,250 Macross 7 MUSIC SELECTION FROM GALAXY NETWORK CHART/Fire Bomber and others (3 weeks consecutive in the Top 10)
1995/06/19 4th 84,800 Macross 7 Let痴 Fire!!/Fire Bomber
1995/09/04 9th 43,620 Macross 7 LIVE FIRE!!!/Fire Bomber
1995/10/30 9th 67,550 Macross 7 SECOND FIRE!!/Fire Bomber
1996/02/26 4th 81,620 NEON GENESIS EVANGELION II/TV Soundtrack (2 weeks consecutive in the Top 10)
1996/06/03 1st 117,190 NEON GENESIS EVANGELION III/TV Soundtrack (2 weeks consecutive in the Top 10)
1996/12/30 5th 85,950 NEON GENESIS EVANGELION ADDITION/Movie Soundtrack
1996/12/30 10th 56,390 Sakura Wars Vocal Collections/Kouhei Tanaka and others
1997/06/23 1st 209,930 EVANGELION DEATH/TV Soundtrack (2 weeks consecutive in the Top 10)
1997/10/06 3rd 164,820 THE END OF EVANGELION/Movie Soundtrack (2 weeks consecutive in the Top 10)
1997/12/15 10th 53,250 EVANGELION-VOX/LOREN and others
1998/05/11 10th 42,900 Sakura Wars 2 Vocal Collection/Kouhei Tanaka and others
2008/06/16 3rd 72,000 Macross FRONTIER O.S.T.「Nyan Fro」/Yoko Kanno

Heck 3rd. Between Sakura Wars 2 Vocal Collection to Nyan Fro, no anime album (as opposed to singles, where there have been hits) has breached the Top 10 on debut :/

And yes, before Eva was Macross 7, which did really well.
Pachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 18:11   Link #275
Westlo
Lets be reality

Interesting figures, thanks for posting that.

Anyway Ranka Lee's Interstellar Flight full version is out with Dance moves.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...t-video-posted

Cute song, suits Ranka to a tee.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 19:44   Link #276
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Interesting figures, thanks for posting that.

Anyway Ranka Lee's Interstellar Flight full version is out with Dance moves.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...t-video-posted

Cute song, suits Ranka to a tee.
They have it on youtube now Cute and funny. The set-up sorta reminds me of DDR, but I'm not sure if it's "dance-able". It's more like hand movements lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lWnngOLP9xM
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 02:40   Link #277
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Thanks for the info Pachael!

The performance of Eva just blows me away. And before Macross 7 was Yu Yu Hakusou? Never expected that, maybe I should've listened to it more.

As for Insterstellar Flight, I don't think those were dance moves, but more of how Ranka would move around while singing it. Real cute nevertheless.

By the way, I think I've figured out the vocal part of Aimo. I'd like to show it, but I don't know how to make soft copies of sheet music though I used the same key signature of Voices in Macross Plus (C minor) with a few accidentals here and there. I'm also a music n00b, so don't count on me to whip up a completed score
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 03:09   Link #278
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KFH9FSPzyIw
At time frame 06:43 - What is this song?
kilroy0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 03:13   Link #279
Tsuchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KFH9FSPzyIw
At time frame 06:43 - What is this song?
Ai Oboete imasu ka
Tsuchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 18:48   Link #280
Darial
Otaku in disguise

A Ranka moment that's too funny not to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt5IfZgBV7c&NR=1
Darial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music