AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-22, 06:03   Link #21
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I'm not so sure on Isara. Rosie's character here has already departed quite significantly from the game. The moment I hear her in the anime, it was Cornelia to me all over again. I'm pretty sure Toyoguchi-san didn't voice her Rosie like that.
Old 2009-05-22, 07:27   Link #22
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Shiroth, mind telling how the changes

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2009-05-22, 08:44   Link #23
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Shiroth, mind telling how the changes

Spoiler for spoiler:
How about you sit back and find out for yourself?

Well i'm not a writer for this show so i can't say for sure, though the fact that he has quite an interest in her could play out quite nicely. I just wanna sit back and see how it unfolds anyway.
Old 2009-05-22, 08:54   Link #24
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Spoiler for my take on Isara's subplot:
Old 2009-05-22, 08:58   Link #25
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Eh? That means a complete change in her character. No thanks.
Old 2009-05-22, 08:59   Link #26
Solecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2009-05-22, 09:01   Link #27
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

A change from her in-game character, unless my impression of her is going to become one of a proud lady which thinks "might makes right" and cannot accept the plain truth even if it's spelt out in front of her. I always thought that she could put up with Max because of the pride she felt in being a Valkyria.
Spoiler for details:
Old 2009-05-22, 09:01   Link #28
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'll tell you what i want to see from Selvaria, more scenes like the ones we get her in DLC story.
Old 2009-05-22, 09:08   Link #29
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'll tell you what i want to see from Selvaria, more scenes like the ones we get her in DLC story.
The more she gets humanized, the more jarring the devotion portion becomes, IMO. If she gets plenty of those scenes in the anime, they better change her subplot as well.
Old 2009-05-22, 10:31   Link #30
Solecs

Quote:
I'd like to see more information on Selvaria's past. They make some references to it in the DLC content, but I'd love to see it animated. It might put some perspective on her devotion to Maximilian and such. I mean they say why she's so devoted, but it doesn't really have as much impact as seeing it I guess.
Old 2009-05-22, 10:37   Link #31
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Eh? That means a complete change in her character. No thanks.
Didn't you just said that changes are good? If they completely change her character then it would feel less of a copy right? I mean they already changed Alicia (I would say pretty big change) and Welkin (not that big, just more empathize that on his laid-back 'airheadedness') so some characters undergo some big changes would not be that much of surprise already.
Old 2009-05-22, 11:15   Link #32
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Didn't you just said that changes are good? If they completely change her character then it would feel less of a copy right? I mean they already changed Alicia (I would say pretty big change) and Welkin (not that big, just more empathize that on his laid-back 'airheadedness') so some characters undergo some big changes would not be that much of surprise already.
I don't agree that they've changed Alicia though. In the anime adaptation, all they've done with Alicia is add a more realistic sense to her character --- she's a lot more shocked regarding Welkin, and she's showing a female side towards Faldio, though at the same time (as shown in episode 7) she's the same Alicia we knew from the game.

They've add more to her character, which i don't believe had to happen seeing as though Alicia in the game does the job perfectly (and at the same time being rather lovely), they just wanted to make her stand out more, and make an impact with the drama. It seems to be working anyway.

& i was totally joking around regarding Selvaria, though it looks like no one noticed. Either way, Solecs already said why yezhanquan's take on the subplot wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
I'd like to see more information on Selvaria's past. They make some references to it in the DLC content, but I'd love to see it animated. It might put some perspective on her devotion to Maximilian and such. I mean they say why she's so devoted, but it doesn't really have as much impact as seeing it I guess.
Yeah i'd love for some Selvaria background, and i think there's a good chance we'll see it in this adaptation, especially seeing how they're giving Faldio some background.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2009-05-22 at 11:32.
Old 2009-05-22, 15:51   Link #33
kalbron

Tsunderes as portrayed by anime aren't realistic. Real life tsunderes get called things like "crazy bitch" and the sort, and don't end up getting anywhere in relationships unless they come across masochistic individuals.

I'd say the game's portrayal of Alicia was closer to that of a normal human being. She thought Welkin was a bit odd, but clearly recognised that he was a good person. And he helped her out in Bruhl when really he should have been fleeing with the other civilians. That was all it took for her to want to be his friend, and from there the relationship grew.

Anime Alicia would logically become a middle aged spinster, but that's not going to happen now is it?

Still, it will be interesting to see just how this turns out. Whether it'll be a massive trainwreck or a passing grade anime is beyond my ability to predict.
Old 2009-05-22, 17:00   Link #34
Darknemo2000

kalbron, however tsunderes are surprisingly popular. They are in all time high. In fact it started since around 2005 year and was predicted to last two years till somewhere 2007 such type of character popularity (with titles as ZnT, Shakugan no Shana etc.), but it still keeps on being very popular even in 2009.

Anime creators are cheap bastards and they want as much popularity as possible thats why Faldio increased importance and love triangle thing (to attract shoujo romance lovers), thats why they turn a normal girl Alicia from the game into a tsundere (this type is popular these days between otaku's) thats why they push Rosie out of Isara's subplot to make space for another cliched romance with some guy no one cares about etc. All this done to get popularity though it doesn't seem like VC would be that popular or that would be gaining it.
Old 2009-05-22, 22:20   Link #35
kalbron

Yep. They're popular for the exact same reason that people enjoy violent shooter games: you don't really want the same things occuring in real life, but in fantasy it's all good in the name of fun.
Old 2009-05-22, 22:45   Link #36
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

I find yor take on Alicia's personality switch interest at least, though I wouldn't really call it more "realistic" as some have already explained. Whether we like it or not though, they only reason they made Alicia more tsundere is to capture a bigger audience of anime fans.
Old 2009-05-24, 02:04   Link #37
Key Board
Carbon

It seems that Johann from the Selvaria DLC will make an appearance next week

Probably to show things from Empire's side

I'll be rather sad when he is inevitably killed by Alicia, because well, nobody bothers keeping generic enemy soldiers alive, right?
Old 2009-05-24, 03:57   Link #38
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

If someone from the Gallian squads does that in front of Selvaria herself, I expect things to... explode.
Old 2009-05-30, 06:24   Link #39
cloner4000

Well we can never be sure that he died. The aces in the games sometimes comes back.

Spoiler for plot:
Old 2009-06-14, 22:11   Link #40
kalbron

Alright so, Episode 11 essentially ensured that the last half of the anime will be completely different from the game. Unless:

Spoiler for Stuff:

Let the wild speculating begin!

Spoiler for Game Spoilers:

Sheesh. Who knows where this thing is going now, because it certainly went off the rails.
Closed Thread