AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-03, 18:42   Link #141
aulzon

It's a pretty decent first episode. The fight scene near the end with Luke and that monster was pretty well done.

I wonder if this will be episodic or have a main storyline. It does have that dark guy watching from the shadows, so they'll probably build up to something with that.

So far however, the characters haven't really clicked with me but I'll be watching more.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 19:31   Link #142
itisjustme

I liked the first episode, but what was up with that breastplate with giant boobs? It's just so ridiculous. =P
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 20:16   Link #143
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Cecily annoyed me a bit but I'm sure she'll get better.

btw shouldn't this thread be moved now since the first episode has aired?

Last edited by justinstrife; 2009-10-03 at 20:29.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 20:44   Link #144
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

loved the first episode...the handshake between luke and cecily was lulz worthy as was at the line " please look at me"

Lisa is my favorite little elf so far (^_^)
Old 2009-10-03, 21:05   Link #145
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
loved the first episode...the handshake between luke and cecily was lulz worthy as was at the line " please look at me"

The handshake was pretty good. When in doubt grab the other person's hand and force them to shake .
Old 2009-10-03, 22:07   Link #146
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Seems like this will be a good Tears to Tiara replacement for this season, since every second just screamed of role-playing fantasy adventure whatnot. So as an actual introduction episode, I'd say it did about average. Nothing really stood out to catch my interest, but at the same time it entertained me enough to where I didn't drop it out of boredom, so I guess I'll give it a few more episodes before finalizing whether I'll keep up with it or not. I know one thing for sure though, that the art for this show is really pretty, and was probably the best part of the episode.

As for characters, Cecily is a mixed bag for me; she's annoyingly honor-driven and is all talk and no walk so far, but at the same time she's actually quite kind, and doesn't seem to let too many things get under her skin. I can't stand Luke's cocky, silent, badass anti-hero characters, but he has a good chemistry with Cecily and they're a pretty amusing and interesting pair. Lisa is cute and seems to be treated as this shows mascot character for now, but apart from that she almost wins best character by default since she's a loli. The only reason she didn't win is because the crazed, wartorn old man berserker was the best character this episode. Strong cast of characters overall, and I hope they get developed properly down the road. I want Cecily and Luke to stay friendly rivals, so hope Luke to be the one to make some wrong decisions and go antagonist halfway through the series or anything. I'm also hoping that Cecily doesn't surpass Luke's sword skills, but that seems inevitable.

On a final note, am I the only one who's bothered by Luke's eyes? They just look so funky and unnaturally drawn for some reason.
Old 2009-10-03, 23:15   Link #147
deadlight
バカ うさぎ

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The handshake was pretty good. When in doubt grab the other person's hand and force them to shake .
Spoiler:
deadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 23:35   Link #148
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlight View Post
Spoiler:
l think he was just ignoring her...going by his reaction towards her shaking his hand forecfully.....

besides he does have two eyes. 0_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
On a final note, am I the only one who's bothered by Luke's eyes? They just look so funky and unnaturally drawn for some reason.
One of his eyes is just like deadlight mentioned... that's why they might end up looking a bit weird at first
Old 2009-10-03, 23:44   Link #149
slidingk1

So far this is on my watch list. Anyone noticed animation quality went up a good bit from this season compared to the last.
slidingk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 23:46   Link #150
jedinat

I watched about 10 minutes... it looks really annoying. Stupid girl pretending to be a knight, all serious about honor and crap while at the same time disgracing her profession by wielding a worthless sword and being utterly incompetent... I'm fine with naive protagonists who learn and grow as the show progresses, but that character at least needs to be plausible.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 23:51   Link #151
chinaboat

So what it boils down is: A bunch of fanservice, a loli mascot and a handsome teen age guy with a steely gaze who can basically fart out a new katana whenever he needs one.

This should be classic
chinaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 00:04   Link #152
kujoe
from head to heel

Oh Luke, you tsundere you...

I doubt Cecily will surpass Luke's sword skills. The guy wields a katana, which is pretty much hax in this setting. Bascially, Katana > European sword as the trope goes.

As for the episode itself, it's pretty entertaining. It's not going to set the bar in the areas of story or plot, but it's well done in the technical side of things. This being the first episode, such is to be expected.

I also noticed that the ED features another sword, which I assume belongs to Aria..?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 00:29   Link #153
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
loved the first episode...the handshake between luke and cecily was lulz worthy as was at the line " please look at me" Lisa is my favorite little elf so far (^_^)
This is where I'm at with this show, too. I'm not a fan of the genre, but I liked this first episode. I'll just ignore the monsters, which were pretty good as far as monsters go (which isn't very far, for me).

I thought Fujimura Ayumi did a nice job as Cecily. She has become a real pro. And I thought Luke's character design was good: not exactly attractive, more like a manly ten-year-old. Lisa may be the "mascot character," but she seems to be the one with the real power, too.

The plot in ep1 was okay: just character intros. If there is a continuing plot, it will show up in the next ep. What we got was enough for me, so far.

I definitely have nothing against Cecily: she was brave despite her fear, had pride in herself and her family, and even when she knew she might die, she was determined to go ahead. This is admirable, it seems to me, even if it is also stupid.

The protuberant breastplate was a mistake. The sword-smithing scene was excellent -- except that it seemed he was giving commands that didn't match the timing of the images. My other nit to pick is the title: he isn't a blacksmith, he's a swordsmith, as the kanji clearly say. Then the Japanese producers go and stipulate an English pronunciation that doesn't actually match the kanji.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-10-04 at 01:01.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 00:35   Link #154
Yushi

I am so excited about this series! Watched the first episode and loved it! XD Then again, I've always liked anime where the main guy enters the show already skilled instead of those typical shounen adventure ones where some newbie has to start from lvl 0. Luke is awesome, I loved the sword forging scene~!
Yushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 00:41   Link #155
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2009-10-04 at 01:09.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 01:07   Link #156
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
l think he was just ignoring her...going by his reaction towards her shaking his hand forcefully.....

besides he does have two eyes. 0_0
Spoiler for Correction::

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I doubt Cecily will surpass Luke's sword skills. The guy wields a katana, which is pretty much hax in this setting. Bascially, Katana > European sword as the trope goes.
Just because he has a Katana, doesn't mean it's better. It just depends on how well it's crafted. I wouldn't be surprise if a Claymore breaks that Katana.

As quoted by TVTropes on Katanas Are Just Better:
Quote:
The myth of the katana being a better weapon than equivalent European swords (namely the medieval longsword) is debatable. Japanese swords use vastly inferior iron for katanas compared to that available for medieval European swords, necessitating costly and time-consuming efforts by Japanese master swordsmiths to remove impurities from the iron, such as the famous "folding of the blade". Folding iron is a common forging technique not unique to Japan, but Japanese blades were folded many more times than many (but not all) European ones to compensate for the inherent lack of quality in material. (One exception was Viking swords, which were commonly more folded, by orders of magnitude, than most ancient Japanese swords.) Contrary to popular belief, folding a sword does not aid its cutting or edge holding properties at all; it merely made it more durable by ensuring an even distribution of carbon within the steel (while some other alloying elements will remain layered).

On the other hand however, European swords are just as good, if not better than the katana. Besides aforementioned better material quality, the longsword was double edged with a point, which was far more difficult to forge than a single edged weapon. The longsword is a much more versatile weapon, able to cut and thrust, and the cruciform hilt construction is a lot better for parrying off blows than the katana. And the second edge allows the weapon to cut in either direction; blows with the "short edge" (which faces the weilder) are a major component of many Western martial arts. Contrary to popular belief, many longswords of equivalent size were just about the same weight.

Cutting motions were of relatively limited use against armor. Sword designs begin to heavily diverge here, as Europeans wore increasingly sturdier armor made of hardened and spring-tempered steel plates, while the Japanese, due to their poor mineral resources, continued to use armor made largely of soft iron plus non-metal components such as horn. Consequently, European weapons began to focus more on stabbing to overcome more vulnerable sections, while Japanese weapons evolved primarily as a result of warfare against those outside of Japan; the tachi, the main ancestor to the katana, tended to break its tip off when used against Mongolian and Korean armor.

But generally, the only thing that matters is the man behind the sword. Both European and Japanese weapons have been developed through centuries of martial tradition and along with them various techniques to use them effectively, responding to changes in the combat environment as they occur. So in a match between unarmored competitors, the more skilled swordsman will win out.
In other words, if you have a well crafted sword & great skills in sword fighting, you are the better swordsman/swordswomen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I also noticed that the ED features another sword, which I assume belongs to Aria..?
Look at the OP, that might give you a hint.
Old 2009-10-04, 01:23   Link #157
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist
Just because he has a Katana, doesn't mean it's better. It just depends on how well it's crafted. I wouldn't be surprise if a Claymore breaks that Katana.
Yes, that was what I was implying by mentioning the trope in the first place.

The katana will get the special treatment in this anime; in fact, it's already being veiled in mystery. Cecily hasn't seen such a sword before and it performs well. In other words, it's unique, exotic and it stands out. It's special and simply way 'cooler' and thus perceived as superior. It also certainly doesn't hurt that Luke himself is already quite skilled in wielding it and forging it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist
Look at the OP, that might give you a hint.
Actually I was supposed to mention that in my previous post...

Spoiler:

Last edited by kujoe; 2009-10-04 at 03:59.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 02:00   Link #158
deadlight
バカ うさぎ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Spoiler for Correction::
Yep, that's what I meant.
deadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 02:05   Link #159
Statonxyb
hrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboat View Post
So what it boils down is: A bunch of fanservice, a loli mascot and a handsome teen age guy with a steely gaze who can basically fart out a new katana whenever he needs one.

This should be classic
Though I'll still watch the series, this made me lol hard.
Statonxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 02:55   Link #160
LusterFlare
Lost.

I liked the fight scenes so I'll probably keep watching this. What happened to the monster while Luke was forging? Was it mesmerized like Cecily was xD?
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, shounen