AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-14, 16:44   Link #101
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

^While I don't know about shedding tears (it takes something really powerful to get me to do that, and this doesn't seem to cut it), if one doesn't feel an ounce of sympathy for Haruka, I don't think you can call yourself a human being.
Old 2013-01-15, 03:30   Link #102
Calca
Expressionless

Me pre-episode: Well this will be nice and light hearted

Me post-episode: Pain. It hurts. Stop the pain.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 10:03   Link #103
EroKing

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-01-15, 12:47   Link #104
bastek66

After reading some translated and seeing raws of manga - this both depressing and heart-warming.
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 13:18   Link #105
Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
After reading some translated and seeing raws of manga - this both depressing and heart-warming.
Me too.

"Romcom" they said. "It'll be light-hearted" they said.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-15, 15:07   Link #106
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The first half of this episode was basically the pure definition of "kicking the dead horse". hard.
Frankly, if anyone had showed me the OP beforehand, I would have wondered if I didn't pick the wrong series.

In any case, this pilot episode was definitely a very good surprise: although the transitions thorough the episode were a bit too rough, they went straight to the point with Haruka's issue and Manabe's whackiness. Frankly, that random dream really caught me offguard and I couldn't helpt but stay silent due to astonishment, then bursting in laughter after realizing what the hell was going on.

Speaking of which, I didn't expect Manabe to exploit haruka's ability that way. It is crude, vicious, but genius at the same time
Old 2013-01-15, 17:54   Link #107
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Whew... those first ten minutes were... hardcore and boy it felt pretty awkward watching that happy OP right after.

While I usually hate the silly and perverted (though with a heart of gold) anime protagonists, I think I'll make an exception for this Manabe guy since his antics saved our damsel in distress from her despair (even if the sadist in me would've loved to see her broken self for a while longer.. ah well!).

Overall a great episode, way to kickstart a series. Definitely a must watch for this season.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 12:48   Link #108
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Y'know I'm glad I made it through the first part of the episode. I was gonna give up on it, I don't need something this depressing in my life right now.

This show is just great though. I mean just WOW!!

And of course as per the guidelines it seems to have been passed on by almost everyone except a few of us......

#nobodywatchesgoodshows
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 12:54   Link #109
vuluc88

My god... it's been so long for me to once again enjoy móe...
Spoiler for móe esp is móe:

I've give up tamako market and kyoani only after 5 mins and thought from now on, the móe will never befall me once again...
yet...

BTW... just love anytime Manabe "think" )

P.S. The BGM and story of the first half is just... more than perfect...
vuluc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 00:39   Link #110
zero7090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
^While I don't know about shedding tears (it takes something really powerful to get me to do that, and this doesn't seem to cut it), if one doesn't feel an ounce of sympathy for Haruka, I don't think you can call yourself a human being.
i concur.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 05:34   Link #111
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

I think this part is more like a quick and dirty way of character development and getting the viewers to sympathize and get interested with the MC from the start, as well as providing background.

It makes a good plot point, and provides the history from the start instead of having the male MC dig in though.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 07:26   Link #112
justpassingby

When Manabe thought of doing perverted things towards Haruka, it reminded me the latest Dredd movie...in all sort of wrong ways.

But yeah, this is a must-see-immediately anime for me this season.
Old 2013-01-17, 12:43   Link #113
EroKing

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Old 2013-01-17, 13:02   Link #114
bastek66

Images
Episode 2
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 13:31   Link #115
Solafighter
Hige

^ Oh jesus. And with that, I mean both previous posts.
Old 2013-01-17, 13:47   Link #116
Kreceir

A more light-hearted thing.

Images
How did you know Manabe-Kun?!

Images
Can you see what they have in Common?
Old 2013-01-17, 13:59   Link #117
Midonin
Last Engage

The Secret of Haruka Kotoura 02 - 友乗り(とものり)

For me, this show is giving me the same kind of feelings as Kokoro Connect. Vaguely supernatural situations, a mixture of comedy and drama, and the matters of identity. But, because it leans more towards the comedy side, I feel more comfortable, and that feeling can shift the scales. The drama didn't completely disappear, but this episode is probably more indicative of what the tone of the rest of the series will be like. The despairfest of the first episodes is probably never coming back. The point of every episode thereafter is to make sure that it won't.

The presence of Yuriko alone gives this show a strong boost. Her backstory was comparable to Haruka's, but her friendly nature and extroverted personality (and, true to her name, possible yuri hints) make her a favorite character of mine quickly. Her ideas for the ESP Club are kind of cool, too. It looks more like an Occult Club seen in most anime, but the line between those is relatively thin, if one were to draw on the Index Science vs Magic thing. That she's trying to verify and falsify ESP makes it slightly more scientific, despite the crystal ball and the pentagrams in the room.

I wonder if Yuriko was aware that, despite trying to prove her mother wasn't a fraud, that she herself was. But once she let Haruka take over, I think she realized that. Haruka's face near the end of her session strongly reminded me of the Despair Peace meme. (On that note, nobody on pixiv has mashed up Despair Peace with Haruka yet. Come on, fandom, I trust you here.) Not going to say much about the potential love triangle. Not my thing.

I liked the second episode more than the first, and as long as it can keep the level of feel good friendship comedy up, I won't mind having a little bit of drama for contrast. As long as Haruka keeps moving forward.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 14:27   Link #118
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Images
Episode 2
New definition of RomCom
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 14:41   Link #119
HandofFate

damn episode 2 was good.
Good progression of characters, and while bigger portions is focused on the schoollife and comedy, it blends in the seriousness very well and smooth.

Moritani kind of a bitch, but hope she warms up a bit and makes some amends. Ruining the name of all childhood friends everywhere with her bullying.

Kotoura regressing to being broken during the fortune telling was nicely done, and wouldn't have had half the impact if not for the first half of the 1st episode showing us exactly how she's feeling.
Old 2013-01-17, 15:10   Link #120
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

While not quite SOUL-CRUSHING DEPRESSING that the first episode was ( ;-; ), 2nd episode still managed to get the drama in via Moritani, who deserves a much needed painful smacking in good order ASAP.

Still, the relationship between Manabe and Kotoura continue to impress, and for one we have a lead who isn't afraid to tell everyone what he really thinks regarding his gal. Good going mate

Of this episode though, the biggest surprise would probably be Muroto, who turned out to be the suave-voiced cool leader of the bunch, totally in contrast to his personality (already reading the comparisons with Keima, even though I don't see it ).

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy