AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-29, 18:46   Link #18021
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

So the finally few chapters of NT4...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- The impression I get from Touma during his dialogue with Marian and subsequently Maria is that he comes off as alot more... Solemn. He's not angry at Marian, and he's not exactly depress by everything, and it's not like he has gone cold in his vein either, but rather he's more seasoned and experienced. (I initially wanted to use the word 'mature', but I'm certain that would rub some people the wrong way.) Of course since we're kinda of viewing him through Maria's point of view so maybe there's some good old Kamijou-Magic at work, we don't know.

- Othinus made quite an impression, and for some reason I kept picturing her as Mavis from Fairy Tail... Albeit with an eye-patch and 100% more evilness. And despite being a Magic God, she seems to prefer a 'hands-on' approach to her actions... Yeah, I know what I said. In another series [Matentai Loki Ragnarok], Odin had Loki stole Heimdallr's right eye for it's power. Now I don't think the exact same plot would be used here, but I can't help both wonder if Othinus' 50% chance of failure would be remedied by getting her eye back... Or at least a new one.

- Ollerus has always been an odd ball for me, when I first read his description I was expecting a goofy, silly guy that is a hidden badass. But every time I see him appear in the story, he's a 100% hard ass, at the very least he's not the guy I would imagine giving up the chance to be a Magic God to save a kitten... Unless that 'kitten' is a cover for Silvia in some epic backstory then we're talking!

- Speaking of Silvia, the whole scene with Brunhild and the artificial Valkyries sort of came out of nowhere. Now, I understand everybody had expected it, but what I mean is that there's no proper introduction to these characters in the main story, particularly Brunhild who you have to buy the Railgun dvd/bds to read her story. Unless Kamachi is banking on the powers of the internet, which isn't exactly a solid solution considering causal fans might not be that 'motivated'.

- I get the feeling that this isn't the last we'll see of the Kihara family in the main story. If Gremlin is the villains for the magic side, I'm certain the Kihara would now step up to represent the darkness of Science. Oh and the not so subtle hint at Kakine's revival... Call me crazy, but I feel that rather than smash him into tiny little pieces, I wonder if Accelerator would try to pull a Kamijou and bring him over to the good side... Food for thought.

Old 2012-03-29, 19:28   Link #18022
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The Kiharas would probably use this to influence the Board of Directors into funding anti-Magic protocols and projects into Academy City. And this would probably make up one of the many stories involved in this major story arc.

As for the MISAKA Clones, remember that they can undergo a crash course on esper powers using Testament, and it's the same device used to implant Mikoto's memories and the basic necessities into each one of them.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2012-03-29, 19:36   Link #18023
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Kiharas overthrow Board of Directors and troll everyone :trollface:

Maybe there's even a Kihara Director that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2012-03-29, 20:20   Link #18024
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
- Othinus made quite an impression, and for some reason I kept picturing her as Mavis from Fairy Tail... Albeit with an eye-patch and 100% more evilness. And despite being a Magic God, she seems to prefer a 'hands-on' approach to her actions... Yeah, I know what I said. In another series [Matentai Loki Ragnarok], Odin had Loki stole Heimdallr's right eye for it's power. Now I don't think the exact same plot would be used here, but I can't help both wonder if Othinus' 50% chance of failure would be remedied by getting her eye back... Or at least a new one.
I've seen Mavis. Personally, I imagine Othinus a bit older than that (physically, obviously) and with red hair rather than blonde.
Quote:
Oh and the not so subtle hint at Kakine's revival... Call me crazy, but I feel that rather than smash him into tiny little pieces, I wonder if Accelerator would try to pull a Kamijou and bring him over to the good side... Food for thought.
Using a little of shipping crack, I'd like to see Uiharu pulling Kakine to the good side rather than Accelerator/Touma.
Old 2012-03-29, 21:47   Link #18025
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post

Using a little of shipping crack, I'd like to see Uiharu pulling Kakine to the good side rather than Accelerator/Touma.
It's gonna take a lot more crack before that happens. More than even Kyon has.

Overall, I'm not sure how to rate this volume. It has action, but it felt more....disorganized overall.
Old 2012-03-29, 21:52   Link #18026
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
It's gonna take a lot more crack before that happens. More than even Kyon has.
I will need to create my own 'Temple' and gather 'Strange Powers' to fully unlock the Holy Crack.

So I guess I'll invite Sheen over to the local strip club--I'll tell you how that goes.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2012-03-29, 23:29   Link #18027
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Overall, I'm not sure how to rate this volume. It has action, but it felt more....disorganized overall.
I find it cool that it's not too organized as it's presenting an image of chaos. That style is compatible with the volume, IMO.
Old 2012-03-29, 23:56   Link #18028
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I think one of Index's strong points aside from its creative use of mythology and technology is that it tells its story from mutliple POV, and this volume presents that point wonderfully.
Old 2012-03-30, 00:13   Link #18029
zaeraal

Quote:
In another series [Matentai Loki Ragnarok], Odin had Loki stole Heimdallr's right eye for it's power. Now I don't think the exact same plot would be used here, but I can't help both wonder if Othinus' 50% chance of failure would be remedied by getting her eye back... Or at least a new one.
Something like taking the eye of her holistic esper, to ensure the world will be bent in her way?
Old 2012-03-30, 00:30   Link #18030
leukrota

I doubt it. That's not part of the original Norse mythology, and I'm under the impression that magical actions need the meaning of myths for them to work properly... All part of the idol theory.
Old 2012-03-30, 01:06   Link #18031
Breidaluk

I was thinking that Othinus would transform the holistic esper in Gungnir.
Old 2012-03-30, 07:35   Link #18032
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeraal View Post
Something like taking the eye of her holistic esper, to ensure the world will be bent in her way?
I don't know, I have nothing in mind atm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
I doubt it. That's not part of the original Norse mythology, and I'm under the impression that magical actions need the meaning of myths for them to work properly... All part of the idol theory.
Idol Theory is more like... A guideline, the way I see it if you want real power, either hope you're blessed with it, or you got to blend the rules.
Old 2012-03-30, 11:05   Link #18033
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

I see the Idol Theory as more like a formula instead of a guideline though, since it's pretty much something the 'christians' in this story use.

There're too many warring parties in this story and we still haven't even understood what each party wants...

And Chaos, shouldn't you be using blue text instead of red? Red denotes subjective truth, you know.
Old 2012-03-30, 11:21   Link #18034
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
And Chaos, shouldn't you be using blue text instead of red? Red denotes subjective truth, you know.
Seriously? To be honest, I'm just randomly picking whichever colour that stands out the most
Old 2012-03-30, 11:52   Link #18035
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
I see the Idol Theory as more like a formula instead of a guideline though, since it's pretty much something the 'christians' in this story use.

There're too many warring parties in this story and we still haven't even understood what each party wants...
Isn't Norse uses the same concept from Idol Theory?

Quote:
Thats because he is unable to see the golden truth.
Old 2012-03-30, 12:15   Link #18036
Ashaman

There's a lot iffy about Idol theory as the sole explanation of magic spells. For example, it doesn't seem that you need the actual entities to exist that you're basing stuff on. For example, Norse and Christian religions have some mutually exclusive mythos, sort of casting doubt on certain existances.

And then there is the girl who used Cinder-fucking-ella as the basis of her spells.

There's also been mention that basing a spell on myths and legends is easier then doing one from scratch, implying its possible.

Basically, Idol Theory is one part of spells. There must be another method of building spells that doesn't rely on Idol Theory.
Old 2012-03-30, 12:25   Link #18037
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Which Aleister and his ilk probably used.

Old 2012-03-30, 20:33   Link #18038
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
There's a lot iffy about Idol theory as the sole explanation of magic spells. For example, it doesn't seem that you need the actual entities to exist that you're basing stuff on. For example, Norse and Christian religions have some mutually exclusive mythos, sort of casting doubt on certain existances.

And then there is the girl who used Cinder-fucking-ella as the basis of her spells.
I have a theory regarding the Idol Theory (lol). It's mentioned in Norse Mythology SS that unlike Christianity, Norse permeates it's knowledge instead of teaching it. I think it's possible that the strength of the Idol Theory lies in how connected people are to the foundation it uses... The idea is similar to the game "Mages" where reality is what most people believe it is. Here belief is not necessary. As long as people are familiar with the stories, they can be used for magic. This way, even something that was never a religion, like Cinderella, could be used for magic... It works because many people know about that fairy tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
There's also been mention that basing a spell on myths and legends is easier then doing one from scratch, implying its possible.

Basically, Idol Theory is one part of spells. There must be another method of building spells that doesn't rely on Idol Theory.
You do have a point there, though if Othinus was to mix in the significance of the right eye then I think she would have to stick to the Myth. Instead, to find a way to avoid the 50% failure she should seek/create a spell that has no relation to the Norse. Besides, restoring her eye would probably undo the link she made to the Myth, making her lose a good deal of her power.
Old 2012-03-30, 21:13   Link #18039
ellifeedn
Thinker

Just because Odin lost his eye doesn't mean that Othinus has to lose an eye as well. It could be something as simple as having only one eye open at a time.
Old 2012-03-30, 21:35   Link #18040
leukrota

Hmm... I wonder about that... I think it would be too cheap if she could work it by faking it. The right eye is after all the price Odin payed for the wisdom he received, not just a fashion statement.

Then again, I'm not Kamachi, so I definitely can't say for sure.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen