AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shuffle!

Notices

View Poll Results: Shuffle! Memories Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 18 14.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 7.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 14.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 14.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 5.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 11 9.09%
4 out of 10 : Poor 6 4.96%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.83%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.48%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.65%
0 out of 10 : Painful as not knowing where your towel is 4 3.31%
-10 out of 10 : Painful as Vogon poetry 5 4.13%
-100 out of 10 : Painful as Azgoths of Kria poetry 4 3.31%
-1,000 out of 10 : Painful as Paul Neil Milne Johnstone of Redbridge poetry 15 12.40%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-04-06, 17:50   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Shuffle! Memories Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 12 episodes of Shuffle! Memories ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, speculation on how bad it could have been or how bad it actually was, etc., etc…

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Will the torture continue with more of the same.

• How did the anime compare with the original series.
  • Characters/Character Design.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better, ha!.
And so on. While there might be a great temptation to whinge and whine how bad the series was and it being a total waste of time, please try and keep this down to a minimum

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (-1,000 to +10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: -1,000 to +10
Voice Actors: -1,000 to +10
Script: -1,000 to +10
Adaptation from original: -1,000 to +10
Editing: -1,000 to +10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 18:53   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I voted Painful as Azgoths of Kira Poetry just because I want to whine about the time where I had the misfortune of sitting through the entire recitation in a party where the host thought it would be funny. Needless to say I've never went to any other parties thrown by that person. Curse you cruel host for I was innocent until that day and you have robbed it.

As for the show itself, unlike Vexx who has sat through the entire series presumably (poor him), I only watched 1 full episode and the opening and ending credits for another. So yes, I watched 2 episode. Since my outlook to the overall series is incomplete I would rather leave the comments to viewers like Vexx who has painstakingly watched the entire Memories. You folks are true fans even if you had to sacrifice your sanity as you decided to set through this flashback saga week after week after week after week. My hat's off to you.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 19:20   Link #3
WhiteWings

It's okay. A nice addition to the series. Maybe not really worth making it into another series though.
Old 2007-04-06, 19:44   Link #4
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
As for the show itself, unlike Vexx who has sat through the entire series presumably (poor him), I only watched 1 full episode and the opening and ending credits for another. So yes, I watched 2 episode. Since my outlook to the overall series is incomplete I would rather leave the comments to viewers like Vexx who has painstakingly watched the entire Memories. You folks are true fans even if you had to sacrifice your sanity as you decided to set through this flashback saga week after week after week after week. My hat's off to you.
Heh, good one. I thought you were being serious for a moment. I also only ended up watching one episode (the last) plus the beginning and ending credits of another one (the first), so I'm not going to bother grading it.
Though I'm tempted to rate it a zero simply because not being able to find your towel is a very traumatic experience.
Old 2007-04-07, 00:05   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I must admit... I stopped "watching" after it became clear there would be no new footage (I'd skim an ep while sitting at the comm. college to protect my home bandwidth caps and then toss the file -- kudos to Ayako for making such small files). I did watch the last episode closely. I kept trying to visualize what a *new* viewer would think of the rehash episodes... but alas alackaday, it just kept looking sloppy muddy.

For the *overall* impact, I went for Vogon poetry ... simply because Vogon poetry can be falsely analyzed to keep you out of the airlock (or not).

The last episode, I think Maids! coined it well: it played to what Shuffle! did which appealed to most viewers before the 'controversy' divided them in the original series --- broad sex comedy farce.
Not to be thought about too deeply, but watched for the eyecandy.

I've decided I don't really care enough about the OP/EDs to strip them out for an "omake folder" but the last episode I'll throw into a Shuffle!/omake folder along with the artpics. Then I'll archive the series onto DVD and throw them into the vault. When the original series starts releasing in R1, I'll ebay whats left of my figures and hope to get some $$ pop from that.
So those of you who love the series, keep an eye out in a month or two
Old 2007-04-07, 01:23   Link #6
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
The end of Shuffle! felt like not a whole lot was resolved, in my opinion. I was hoping they would have taken care of that in Shuffle! Memories. I guess I can say I was dissappointed that the episodes (except the last one) were simply recaps of each character. As for the last episode, it wasn't bad, though I was a little confused as to when the event took place. Either way, 7 out of 10 due to the last episode's entertainment, if nothing else.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 03:31   Link #7
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I watched the whole thing. I don't see the harm in being masochistic once in a while. As far as I'm concerned, what doesn't kill me can only make me stronger.

As far as a rating is concerned, on this scale, it's a zero. On my scale, it's a 1/10, which is incredibly low (lowest score I've ever given, and lower to what I gave to He Is My Master and Okusama wa Joshikosei, both of which series were... well, flawed to say the least, but at least had some camp value). Anyway, I'm in the midsts of writing a review for this series, but I constantly have to stop since revisiting it brings back too many painful memories.

I think it's been well documented what the flaws in this series were. I personally see the whole thing as a giant slap in the face to fans of the show (of which I am not one). I mean, really. Slap some clips together, sell it as a new series, and then expect fans to buy it. People may defend this show as a way of increasing Shuffle!'s exposure to an audience who didn't get a chance to see it the first time, but surely there are better ways of doing it than like this. I really think new viewers would have gotten more from a full re-airing of the first series, start to finish. If censorship was such a problem, why didn't they just go with the police tape, and market the DVDs as police-tape-free? At least then new viewers wouldn't be left bewildered by the complete lack of chronology and all the other crap that was left out.

It would be interested to see just what new viewers thought of this series though, since I'd be very surprised if it didn't just left them for dead for the reasons I stated earlier. I mean, a lot of significant events were left out or only skimmed over, while others were repeated up to three times. I think the misplaced emphasis and lack of proper story-telling would have really killed most of the interest this was trying to generate. Which just adds to the flaws, since Shuffle! never really had issues with its story-telling... it just had a mediocre story.

Even the fanservice episode wasn't great. I mean, ignoring the way it backhanded its own story (and not in a good way like Haruhi did), the comedy mostly missed and the fanservice wasn't all that rewarding. There are far better examples of fanservice anime out there, eg Girls Bravo.

Overall, the series really is a total waste of time for all viewers, new or old. I really can't see how even the most vehement of Shuffle! fans could defend it.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 14:21   Link #8
Zarifar
*Fansubber

Voted 7/10. I watched the entire series.

Rather than critisizing about it as being recap and stuff, I think Navel did a fine job putting the entire series into 6 main chapters, which are the 6 main girls. Memories managed to show how Rin developed his feelings for the girls (In part A), and then make his feelings clear to every girl in Part B, narrowed down from the entire series.

Don't know if anyone will view it from my perspective.

edit: On, and also, what's the point of the DVDs, besides being collectible items?
Zarifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 14:23   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I gave it a 10, reasons being:
  • Its Shuffle!
  • A lot of work gone into the OP's & ED's
  • Episode 12
Old 2007-04-07, 14:37   Link #10
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Gave it a 4/10 all because of episode 12
otherwise I would have given it -100
Old 2007-04-09, 19:12   Link #11
TigerII
Pilot in Training

-10 new material past episode 24 please.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 21:44   Link #12
Codine

lack of new content=fail
Codine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 21:57   Link #13
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Well, actually after thinking about it, what is left really? He chose who he wants to live his life with. Unless it was a new show with their kids or a completely new cast or something like that.
Old 2007-04-29, 21:11   Link #14
Codine

i wouldnt mind an OVA or 2 with the two of them together.
Codine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 23:02   Link #15
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

these ratings are much higher than I would have thought ;-;
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 13:57   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.... I don't want to be rude, but we seem to have certain fans that would worship any product that had the characters on it even if the product was guaranteed to be broken on arrival.

As an counter-analogy... just because I loved the original Star Wars trilogy doesn't mean I don't think the Ewok's Christmas Special didn't stink to high heaven (when I realized Lucas had no clue about his own creations).

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-30 at 20:05.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 20:27   Link #17
Tabris

I've still got to watch this.

Though I did watch through Shuffle again the other day. I still really enjoy it, but I feel somewhat more sympathy for Psycho Kaede now.

Still have preference for Asa and Nerine though, so no change there.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 05:27   Link #18
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

If you don't have unlimited bandwidth: It is a complete waste of time.
If you do have unlimited bandwidth: It is still a complete waste of time.
The last episode of Memories is an exception.

Other than that, you are better of watching the original series. After that, there is no need for the existence of Memories.
Old 2007-05-02, 14:59   Link #19
Tabris

Yeah, I've got unlimited bandwidth, so it's no problem. I'll download episode 12 first though.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 15:01   Link #20
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Seriously. There is NO new material in 1-11. Just watch 12 and then you can say you watched memories.