AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-12, 23:09   Link #23421
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Ah, someone I don't recognize. Excellent, you can help me with my next character concept!

*Drags FnS away to his secret character development broom close- *ahem* laboratory*

I'm not sure where exactly I heard this (probably Wikipedia), but Hayate's supposedly classified as a Mage Knight. Given that she's a user of the Ancient Belka system yet seems to specialize in massively-powerful ranged attacks, would it be feasible to make a character who is equally balanced in both melee and at range?

I ask because this is the concept I'm considering for Rico. Rico himself is a user of the Ancient Belka system, while his unison device, Nova, is a Mid-Childa user. Both are fire-elementals, Rico by birth and Nova by design. Instead of providing a massive power boost during unison, however, Rico gains full access to Nova's spell list, making him only slightly stronger (perhaps half a rank's power boost) and much more versatile as an opponent. His overall power ranking would be about AA+, and this added versatility would boost him into the AAA to S+ range.
Hey! Wha-wha-wha!?!?!!! *Is dragged away*

Okay...@_@ Probably super late, but welcome to the thread! I hope you're having fun here

Yeah, Hayate is classed as a Mage Knight but that's what the subs tell us (Wiki also classified this as canon info so it can be both )

Yes, it's possible to make a character equally balanced in both, though I think it would be asking a bit too much if that character was to be an expert in both styles at a very young age say 20 or so unless said person was a prodigy and, I believe, we've banned those from here (^^; )

Hmm....I find that your design might be a bit too much....If it was a Mid-Childan Unison device acting with a New Belka Knight, it could still work but the Ancient Belka and Mid styles wouldn't be compatible for a unison... (I think). Besides, my understanding is that that type of device doesn't necessarily give a power boost but enhances other weaknesses of the user. Hayate mentioned in one episode that she was a total klutz at firing away without Rein to be there for support. In chapter 10 of the manga she also states that her regular usage of her powers are "standing in place, forming an array and firing away" with Rein commenting "that's all I can help with too". Though we could take Agito's Unison into consideration I would say that Signum's increased power is most likely due to her proficiency in middle and close range combat, hence the Unison enhances her reach and strength. Both Rein and Agito are Ancient Belka devices though and I don't think there's even Mid-Childan ones....

Yay! I went to Wiki and found this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Unison Devices

Also commonly known as a Unity-Type Device. A device form developed only by Belka, it is a type of device that has taken the design ideology of the Midchildan Intelligent Device to extremes. Devices possessing their own wills, and given complete human form and sentience, these devices can "unite" with users to provide Mana control and assistance according to circumstances. These devices exceeds other forms greatly in response speed and in the volume of Mana handled; however users suitable for Unison are rare, and much work is required to fine-tune and ensure compatibility towards the disposition of each specific user. Furthermore, since by nature these devices can cause loss of consciousness and other effects during Unison, these devices have emergency countermeasures set that are not dependent on the host's awareness, allowing even solitary users to employ these devices on themselves, enhancing Mana usage. However, at times these devices may "take over" the user and operate autonomously, causing a "Unison accident", so these devices were nearly never manufactured practically. During a successful Unison, striking hair or pupil color changes become apparent. However, whether the appearance after Unison is more similar to the user or the device depends on whether the user can manage the device. In the event that a user cannot handle the device, the user will lose all control, and will completely take on the appearance of the device.
So apparently unless you're inventing some type of new Unison device I think it might not be possible to go with it ^^;

I hope this was helpful to you ^^
Old 2008-04-12, 23:18   Link #23422
Jimmy C

While Agito is defintely an Ancient Belka genuine Unison Device, Rein isn't.
Old 2008-04-12, 23:19   Link #23423
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
While Agito is defintely an Ancient Belka genuine Unison Device, Rein isn't.
No, she's just a reformatted Reinforce :3

Last edited by Fuyu no Sora; 2008-04-12 at 23:20. Reason: For dumb mistake -_-;
Old 2008-04-12, 23:23   Link #23424
Jimmy C

Not that either, Rein's a completely new device.
Old 2008-04-12, 23:26   Link #23425
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
Not that either, Rein's a completely new device.
Hmm... I'm going to have to re-watch the Nanoha series before arguing any further... Right now my head is still full of exam stuff and can't proerly recall anime/manga related stuff -_-;
Old 2008-04-12, 23:31   Link #23426
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
Hmm... I'm going to have to re-watch the Nanoha series before arguing any further... Right now my head is still full of exam stuff and can't proerly recall anime/manga related stuff -_-;
Rein has fragments of Reinforce's memories she sees in her dreams, being that her creation took a fragment of what was left of Reinforce/Hayate, but she's 99% new.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-04-12, 23:58   Link #23427
Liingo
Love Hina?

Replying to the last page......... Since I'm lazy (Well busting everything that's accumulated over the last 2 weeks or so would take me the whole day )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
And continuing from the last chapter...

Belkarangers Task One, Hajimarimasu!

Spoiler for Part One:

Spoiler for After Chapter Note:
Haven't read the first part of this but it's looking good

And Bride Carry position? >.> Does this mean some action later on

*runs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I think people are misunderstanding what it means to be a h4xxbuster. Being a h4xxbuster does not mean nitpicking every single detail, it means pointing out things that are overpowered and toning them down untill they fit canon. An artificial eye is perfectly acceptable.
:nods: That and pointing out any flaws in the storys that they might have missed. Well that's what I do anyway..
Quote:
Ah, someone I don't recognize. Excellent, you can help me with my next character concept!

*Drags FnS away to his secret character development broom close- *ahem* laboratory*

*watches for a moment before stepping in*
Oy, she has enough backlog to get through without helping eveyone else

*waves*
Domo, I'm another of the haxxbusters in here. Just on an extended hiatus. I'll get to reading maybe next week when I have a break from uni.
Quote:
I'm not sure where exactly I heard this (probably Wikipedia), but Hayate's supposedly classified as a Mage Knight. Given that she's a user of the Ancient Belka system yet seems to specialize in massively-powerful ranged attacks, would it be feasible to make a character who is equally balanced in both melee and at range?

I ask because this is the concept I'm considering for Rico. Rico himself is a user of the Ancient Belka system, while his unison device, Nova, is a Mid-Childa user. Both are fire-elementals, Rico by birth and Nova by design. Instead of providing a massive power boost during unison, however, Rico gains full access to Nova's spell list, making him only slightly stronger (perhaps half a rank's power boost) and much more versatile as an opponent. His overall power ranking would be about AA+, and this added versatility would boost him into the AAA to S+ range.
I don't see a problem with the hybrid character. There's a few in the thread already, most noticably Aurion (Aaron008). One point I would like to point out that Ancient Belka does not necessarily imply Melee User. Hayate being one example, along with Shamal. Carim and Across are others who don't fit in with the AB = Melee mentality.

That said though, I don't see the need to introduce new AB users given the 'rarity' of the users of the style. I'm with Fuyu on the Unison device issue as well. While Rein is a 'new' unison device, she's also a Belkan device, not a mid one. The power and control issue has been brought up by her as well.
Old 2008-04-13, 00:27   Link #23428
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
So apparently unless you're inventing some type of new Unison device I think it might not be possible to go with it ^^;
Hm. Since A's Reinforce didn't have any kind of trouble using Mid-Childan spells with the Belka system, I guess it doesn't make much difference anyways. Two ancient/modern Belka users then.

Quote:
Besides, my understanding is that that type of device doesn't necessarily give a power boost but enhances other weaknesses of the user.
I see your point. Still, providing ranged proficiency is a form of enhancing weaknesses...

The idea behind Rico and Nova's joint fighting style stems from the magister/minister system from Negima; Rico tanks the enemy in melee while Nova pelts him with shooting-type spells; she's refined the classic fireball into an art form. Alone, their strengths and weaknesses complement each other, much like Signum and Agito's natures complement each other. Put them together, and Rico fights in melee or at a distance: Nova boosts his control over his spells and grants him her specialty with shooting spells; the enhanced control allows Rico to use the equivalent of about two dozen Accel Shooter spheres at once, or hundreds of unguided spheres Rico uses to turn aerial battlefields into floating minefields, among many other uses.

Quote:
That said though, I don't see the need to introduce new AB users given the 'rarity' of the users of the style.
I'll address that in a moment.

Right, here's a bit more preliminary info on Rico and Nova:

The world of Arcadia was one of Belka's staunchest allies during the last great war; now it's nothing more than a wasteland after most of its' major cities experienced death by Arc-en-Ciel. The only people who stick around on this worthless hunk of rock are the people who can't manage interdimensional teleportation. The entire planet is a post-apocalyptic nightmare, and Rico Sachara grew up as an orphan right in the thick of it. What separates Rico from his fellows, however, is the fact that Rico's an extremely powerful mage, descended from a Belkan general named Hikaru Shidou (yes, little miss Rayearth). He's a natural B-rank at the age of 13, and he's practicing daily to get to the point where he can jump ship and go world-hopping. Since Arcadia was so closely-aligned with Belka during the great war, it's hardly uncommon to find Ancient Belka users, though few if any of them are very powerful, Rico aside.

Rico meets Nova while she's seeking after Hikaru, who used to be her meister in the last great war. With Hikaru dead, Nova is despondant and feels utterly alone in the multiverse until Rico offers to be her new meister. "If you have a need to be needed, then stick with me, I'll find a use for you!"

With Nova's help, Rico gets off-world and falls head-first into the outer rim, an area of dimension space outside the TSAB's influence; the seedy underbelly of the multiverse. Rico and Nova get involved in a series of adventures that bind them together as friends and partners of the Kamina/Simon type (right down to the similarities in personalities). Eventually, the two set up business as freelance mages in the outer rim. Just after StrikerS, they pick up the trail of a bounty placed on the head of one Ciel Clearwater by an unknown party, which leads them into contact with Zero and Ciel.

Speaking of Zero, I might not be able to get his final profile posted until Monday; I've got a lot of work to catch up on for school tomorrow, and I'm just about ready to hit the sack at the moment.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-04-13, 00:39   Link #23429
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

This is non serious crack and is written to amuse myself. I need to laugh before I go back to the funeral parlor.

Spoiler:

Right, totally non-canon, and is just for cracklulz and Variable Formation and Neppu! Shippu! CYBUSTER.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-04-13, 00:46   Link #23430
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
That seems to what 'melee' in Nanohaverse bulks up to, really. Ability to hold one's self in close-combat. How one ago it, doesn't seem to be an issue.
Well that's what we see from the tactically inept CC in the series anyway...

Quote:
ARGH, somehow the whole structuring of the story fucked up once viewed in Notepad. Got the gist of it, but damn, it gave me a headache.

All in all, I rather liked it. I felt the scene with Nanoha wasn't really all that neccessary, but it's draw was Felixta 'gluff' anyway.
Sucks about the formating thing as for the other stuff...

Well she’s dose more stuff later and I’m considering doing some side stories and stuff with her so I felt the need to have her around at least in the background so when she appeared later it’s not like “LOL and then Nanoha shows up!”

It’s also part of something of a larger plan I have for Felix since recall from his history he did adopt and basiclly raise a kid and I’ve been looking for an avenue to get him around her a bit for some interaction on that front for awhile. I’ll admit it was slightly forced and any such interaction is sometime off (I plan this fic to be rather long), but again for it to not seem totally forced I wanted to have her around and give a plausible reason he might be hanging around her enough for the interaction to occur. Plus we also just don’t get enough Vita/Nanoha Period so I couldn’t help myself in cramming just a smidgen of that in too.

The next chapter has some more random bits with her in it too so, she's not going away since she's pretty much part of the plan.

Old 2008-04-13, 02:42   Link #23431
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

[RP mode on]

I tried to conduct an intervention at the IRC, and got kicked for it. Such is the EVIL that is the IRC.

LIES! BLASPHEMIES! DESECRATIONS IN THE NAME OF A PUNY DAEMON!

I /spit at you Cultists! Never again shall we speak in kindness. YOU SHALL BE PURGED!!!

[/RP mode off]

Thanks for giving me something to post about.

But I still wish there was something worth replying to here rather than making more Khrack. After all, SOCOM is coming soon, and there's Genderbent of Chrono AKA Chronko when I bothered about him/her, but this isn't called progress. It's a digression.

I curse the thread for being slow on weekends.

Ah well back to assignments with me. ... ... ...
Old 2008-04-13, 02:45   Link #23432
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
[RP mode on]

I tried to conduct an intervention at the IRC, and got kicked for it. Such is the EVIL that is the IRC.

LIES! BLASPHEMIES! DESECRATIONS IN THE NAME OF A PUNY DAEMON!

I /spit at you Cultists! Never again shall we in kindness. YOU SHALL BE-

What were you saying?
Old 2008-04-13, 02:46   Link #23433
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

--PURGED!!!

*runs*
Old 2008-04-13, 02:53   Link #23434
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
--PURGED!!!

*runs*
*Catches Kha and Administers another beating*

Your cause was noble, but your methods barbaric spam can never be tolerated!

Old 2008-04-13, 02:54   Link #23435
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post
A quick question about elemental affinity (or how do you call it?):

I know a mage can only have one elemental affinity, but what about a mage with two weaker elemental affinity?

example:
Mage1 has 100% fire affinity, Mage2 has 100% water affinity and Mage3 has 50% fire and 50% water affinitiy.

Because of the lower affinity Mage3 is unable to cast high level spells like buster class and with a lower affinity her spells are weaker than Mage1 or Mage2 if Mage3 cast the same spell as Mage1 or Mage2.

Is this acceptable?
Pokes the thread for being ignored.....
Old 2008-04-13, 02:59   Link #23436
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post
Pokes the thread for being ignored.....
If you know they can't have two how come your asking if they can have two?

This question is dumb and the answer is: no.

Old 2008-04-13, 03:18   Link #23437
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
Yeah, Hayate is classed as a Mage Knight but that's what the subs tell us (Wiki also classified this as canon info so it can be both )
Well I'm sure its canon. Hayates DVD ID card classifies her as "Zauber-Ritter" wich pretty much can be translated as "Mage-Knight"

On the other hand, Vita and Erio are just "Ritter".

So it maybe the Zauber-Ritter were the artillery of Old Belka.
Old 2008-04-13, 03:45   Link #23438
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Spoiler for MSLN Alpha Episode 3, Scene IV:

Well that was fun
Old 2008-04-13, 03:45   Link #23439
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Your suggestions are also horrifically outdated compared to what Mid-Childan science should be capable of, given their access to multiple universes worth of scientific advances. We're not dealing with modern science, Phoenix, we're dealing with a mad scientist outfitted with the absolute latest tech available to an interdimensional civilization. Since apparently you don't believe in the power of the SPARTAN project (never mind the very successful end results), and I'm not interested in creating random technobabble to explain how Zero was created, I'm going with the following explanation:

Me: "Zero's stronger, tougher, and has better eyesight than the average human because that's the way he was built."

You: "How exactly was he built?"

Me: "Dunno. Ask Light or Wily, they're the experts."

You: "But they're dead!"

Me: "Too bad. Guess that means nobody knows."

The best part is that this even fits in with X and Zero's construction in the Mega Man games: the reploids are based off of X's design, but X's (and Zero's) internal workings are a mystery even to those who've studied him.
... I guess you don't get the main idea.

The suggestions were to serve as your base for which you can modify to something else, Wily's superbrain included. Yes, those are the current technologies that we have, but if you just tweak them slightly (insert random technobabble even), everything would have fitted nicely, and I'd be glad to stop prodding (because it tires me, even).

The SPARTAN-II project has some nice features (I don't even know what ceramic carbide is and how it can make the bone almost indestructible), but some of them are borderline impossible (like the eyes and muscles), so it's better to change them to something more relevant. You don't have to explain to me whether those things are real or not (like injecting Z-protein complex, etc.), just use the same base concepts and we're done. :3

Quote:
*Facepalm*

That was the intention right from the beginning. The problem is, Phoenix wants to know how it was made, and I'm not the least bit interested in whipping up an entire branch of scientific advances just to explain Zero's construction.
Oh well, guess it's my bad to seem to be nitpicking these details cleanly, even though the how doesn't include you having to read every scientific literature available.

Quote:
It looks like he believes what you are doing is "enhancing" a human eye to be superhuman. All you had to do was state it was artificially manufactured to a higher specification than a human eye. That should have worked.
Yes, much better and easier, instead of the blood flow thingy. A human eye can only be tinkered so far before serving less than what is intended, so an artificial one would work better.
Old 2008-04-13, 05:03   Link #23440
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post
MSLN Alpha Episode 3, Scene IV:
Just one thing, was it really neccessary to use Riot Zamber on the wall? Since Trident Smasher was enough later on, Fate should have used Riot Blade instead.
Closed Thread