AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-29, 11:50   Link #4121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8279176.stm

Interesting summary retrospective of Chinese art as it served the state over the last 60 years.
Old 2009-09-29, 11:53   Link #4122
LynnieS

Facebook pulls poll on the killing of Obama
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) – The US Secret Service is trying to identify the people who launched an online poll at Facebook asking whether US President Barack Obama should be assassinated.

Facebook on Monday shut down the user-generated poll, which was titled "Should Obama be killed?" and offered answer choices of yes, no, maybe, and "If he cuts my health care."
Ah, the wonders of free speech - or the lack thereof possibly. You are allowed to poll people on the subject of killing a sitting head of state, or have your poll pulled by security personnel. This should be a fun little trial if it gets that far...

FDIC says bank failures to cost around US$100 billion
Quote:
WASHINGTON – Federal regulators expect bank failures to cost the deposit insurance fund about $100 billion in the next four years and the fund to be running at a deficit Wednesday.

That is higher than an earlier estimate of $70 billion in failure costs through 2013.
The Fund may also ask its bank members to prepay their premiums for 2010 to 2012 in order to raise US$45 billion (approx.). In the latest meeting of the Board's agenda, it is estimated that the Fund balance and reserve ratio will go negative by 30 Sept, but cash/marketable securities to "resolve failed institutions remain positive." (Source)

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-09-29, 12:50   Link #4123
Thingle
Banned

^ Of course, the SS (secret service) is just trying to protect Der Fuehrer.
Old 2009-09-29, 14:26   Link #4124
Shadow Kira01

Japan, S. Korea agree to 'carefully' assess N. Korea's next moves

Quote:
During a joint press conference after their talks in Tokyo, they also said a proposed visit by Japanese Emperor Akihito to South Korea has ''not been discussed in detail'' by the two countries, with Okada saying Japan will ''carefully'' study the matter by considering ''various situations.''

Earlier this month, South Korean President Lee Myung Bak expressed hope that the emperor will visit South Korea next year to ''put an end to the sense of distance'' between the two countries as 2010 will mark a century since the beginning of Japan's colonial rule of the Korean Peninsula that ended in 1945.
Quote:
Thorny bilateral issues such as different views of historical events and territorial rows were not taken up because the meeting between Okada, who took office on Sept. 16, and South Korean Foreign Affairs and Trade Minister Yu was intended to build a ''trustful relationship,'' according to a Japanese Foreign Ministry official.
Quote:
Okada and Yu also confirmed the need to urge North Korea to make a ''positive and concrete'' response not only on its denuclearization commitments but also on the issue of resolving North Korea's abductions of Japanese nationals, according to the ministry official.

Meanwhile, Okada was also quoted as telling Yu that ''outstanding issues between Japan and South Korea can be resolved one by one if they are discussed sincerely,'' although he did not elaborate what the outstanding issues are.
Okada is on the roll..

However, no matter how strong the resolve it is to deal with the thorny issues of bilateral ties, the feeling has to be mutual for the ideal "East Asian Community" concept to work out smoothly. Currently, there are three different perspectives on historical issues, while territorial rows and other important spate of conflicting issues remain to exist.

On the issue of gas fields in the East China Sea, China has yet to stop pumping oil when they have promised to cooperate with Japan while doing so. On the issue of the food safety, there have yet to be an answer to the mystery of the frozen gyoza incident which sent quite a few people to be hospitalized; not to mention that there were originally quite many concerns on food safety aside from the frozen gyoza case. On the issue of Yasukuni Shrine, the new government of Japan will no doubt refrain from making visits before removing the 14 A-Class war criminals from the place and to be placed in a separate shrine but there will obviously be disagreements rising as that not everybody supports the idea of removing the souls of individuals who had sacrificed for the nation just to seek friendliness in two bilateral ties when it is said that the shrine for religious purpose and is independent of political issues. Aside from these three issues, there is still a territorial row over the Senkaku in which China refuses to acknowledge the Japanese ownership of the sovereignty, even though it is merely just a few pieces of boulders in the middle of nowhere but it is also well-known that the place houses quite some amount of resources, as well as marine life. Thus, to achieve strong bilateral ties with China is actually not going to be easy and neither will the plan of "East Asian Community" to be carried out smoothly either. There are possibly other issues aside from these more vital ones.

Between Japan and South Korea, there are also a spate of issues to be dealt with. First, lots of South Koreans are still demanding that Japan apologize over once colonizing the nation and enforcing hard labor of some sort in the sense of financial compensation. Of course, how many people are going to approve the ideas of paying South Korea to cooperate on the "East Asian Community" as that won't be sincere no matter how you look at it. When one side offers goodwill and the other demands large amounts of financial compensations; things also go wrong. Even if the new government agrees to do so, the chances of a high disapproval rate to occur following that is no doubt too much of a risk. What good does it get if the LDP wins the next general election because of this action? Aside from the colony issue, there is the North Korea conflict in which South Korea is totally against financial sanctions or military actions and is proposing to support the nation in poverty in an economical way. Generally, South Korea do not support any "hostile policy" against North Korea with the exception of getting Pyongyang to agree on resuming six-party talks. This is quite a concern..

In other words, the idea of successfully building an "East Asian Community" is an extremely difficult task, especially if the concept is based on the European Union as in becoming united under possibly a single flag with the same currency that replaces the American dollar, as well as deal with military issues together as comrades. Although I strongly support the idea of forming a second "European Union" but the possibility of it coming true is quite difficult.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Ah, the wonders of free speech - or the lack thereof possibly. You are allowed to poll people on the subject of killing a sitting head of state, or have your poll pulled by security personnel. This should be a fun little trial if it gets that far...
It would appear that the guys plotting to kill Obama decided to obtain approval from the public first before doing something reckless that could cause a spike to the Obama approval rates. Generally, if the public approves of the idea, the guys will most likely carry it out whereas if it has a high disapproval rate, they will back off. The Secret Service will no doubt take this issue very seriously as that there are people plotting to kill the American president and making it like a democratic vote sort of thing of whether to do it or not. This is obviously not a prank!

Quote:
It has not yet been proven that the U.S. can launch nuclear-armed missiles from its bases in Japan. Furthermore, I seriously doubt that South Korea would agree to the U.S. using these weapons to attack fellow Koreans - not unless South Korea is on the verge of falling; even then, it's a bit doubtful. (Of course, whether the U.S. or other Asian countries would care what South Korea thinks at that point, no idea. )
Well.. That is why the foreign minister Okada Katsuya is planning on probing on the issue of the secret pact. If the secret pact exists, then there is a possibility that there are nukes hiding in Okinawa that are there for the purpose of counter-invasion, such as retaliating against North Korean nukes or other rogue states. It is no doubt a violation of the three non-nuclear principles but there are always some people who believe it is necessary, though I do not see it that way.

Personally, I believe South Korea will make a huge fuss about nuking North Korea as that the family members, friends, and relatives of many South Koreans actually live across the borders and if the United States were to nuke Pyongyang, nobody can guaranteed that the destruction of infrastructure and also the widespread of nuclear radioactivity won't affect those particular individuals. Aside from that, who can ensure that windy days during those period of time won't blow the nuclear radioactivity over to South Korean borders and even maybe Japanese territories? Obviously... The whole idea of nuclear retaliation against North Korea is impossible to begin with but it can still be used as a "last resort" and North Korea is well-aware of it. If they launch nukes and missiles.. Eventually, they will get nuked.
Old 2009-09-29, 14:33   Link #4125
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Floods in the Philippines worst in decades

I just watched the BBC's coverage on its international television news service and the devastation, especially in Manila, is frightening. I hope we soon hear from our friends in the Philippines that they are okay.

Most of my friends and relatives are safe (for now)

except for one of my aunt's boss... the perimeter wall of his home collapsed and crushed him.
btw my aunt's an I.T. head of SMART Communications.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:36   Link #4126
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Most of my friends and relatives are safe (for now)

except for one of my aunt's boss... the perimeter wall of his home collapsed and crushed him.
btw my aunt's an I.T. head of SMART Communications.
You won't believe it, but that underground vehicular tunnel in Manila before Quiapo (if you know) is virtually a giant swimming pool now.

Old 2009-09-29, 15:59   Link #4127
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
You won't believe it, but that underground vehicular tunnel in Manila before Quiapo (if you know) is virtually a giant swimming pool now.

grabe!
this just turned to mini venice!

you're right about the *kiddie poll* If I was still a kid I'd join!
My parents didn't let hang out with those type of kids because they think they're dirty.

Old 2009-09-29, 16:06   Link #4128
Thingle
Banned

^ That's quite a large underpass BTW. The height of the water just says it all about the floods.
Old 2009-09-29, 19:55   Link #4129
Hage-bai
Banned

American jailed in Japan for abducting abducted kids.

Interesting abduction case off cnn. Seems this is not unusual in marital disputes. Hope the guy is released and can get his kids back.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ion/index.html
Old 2009-09-29, 23:56   Link #4130
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
On the issue of gas fields in the East China Sea, China has yet to stop pumping oil when they have promised to cooperate with Japan while doing so.
The easiest solution is for Japan to place its own platforms on its side of the border and start pumping out oil as well. Given that oil is a liquid, there is no way for anyone to guarantee that one country's drilling will not take away another country's oil.

Unfortunately, Japan is not likely to do that - even with the new government - so chances are good that it will lose virtually all of the oil to China.

Quote:
On the issue of the food safety, there have yet to be an answer to the mystery of the frozen gyoza incident which sent quite a few people to be hospitalized; not to mention that there were originally quite many concerns on food safety aside from the frozen gyoza case.
It's called "dragging one's feet", and it works if the "person" doing the dragging is strong enough. I do remember reading, though, that the recalled gyoza packages had been traced to a problem in China, esp. when workers in China received free gyoza - and it was the same stuff recalled - from their employer? It was many months ago, though.

Quote:
On the issue of Yasukuni Shrine, the new government of Japan will no doubt refrain from making visits before removing the 14 A-Class war criminals from the place and to be placed in a separate shrine but there will obviously be disagreements rising as that not everybody supports the idea of removing the souls of individuals who had sacrificed for the nation just to seek friendliness in two bilateral ties when it is said that the shrine for religious purpose and is independent of political issues.
Ah, the old problems of "pride" and "honor"... You can't eat either, nor can you use either to fuel your factories. Yet to backtrack on this subject meant you lose face and dignity.

Quote:
Aside from these three issues, there is still a territorial row over the Senkaku in which China refuses to acknowledge the Japanese ownership of the sovereignty, even though it is merely just a few pieces of boulders in the middle of nowhere but it is also well-known that the place houses quite some amount of resources, as well as marine life. Thus, to achieve strong bilateral ties with China is actually not going to be easy and neither will the plan of "East Asian Community" to be carried out smoothly either. There are possibly other issues aside from these more vital ones.
Actually, this is quite smart of China, IMHO, to drag things on in committee while work is done elsewhere to strengthen the country further. Someone has been doing his history homework...

Quote:
It would appear that the guys plotting to kill Obama decided to obtain approval from the public first before doing something reckless that could cause a spike to the Obama approval rates. Generally, if the public approves of the idea, the guys will most likely carry it out whereas if it has a high disapproval rate, they will back off. The Secret Service will no doubt take this issue very seriously as that there are people plotting to kill the American president and making it like a democratic vote sort of thing of whether to do it or not. This is obviously not a prank!
No... It's likely to be some stupid kids (or adults who reverted to childhood) having some fun. Given the choices allowed, the tone wasn't serious; however, the Secret Service has to investigate. I doubt this will go to trial; the chances of the Service playing "bad cop" to scare the people are good, IMHO, but if the poll's creators are in the U.S., I wonder if they would appreciate the Service and/or FBI now having them on a watch list.

Quote:
Well.. That is why the foreign minister Okada Katsuya is planning on probing on the issue of the secret pact. If the secret pact exists, then there is a possibility that there are nukes hiding in Okinawa that are there for the purpose of counter-invasion, such as retaliating against North Korean nukes or other rogue states. It is no doubt a violation of the three non-nuclear principles but there are always some people who believe it is necessary, though I do not see it that way.
Unlikely, IMHO, for any nuclear weapons to actually be housed on U.S. bases, but there may well be agreements on when such weapons may be used - e.g., to counterattack if Japan is attacked - from offshore. These weapons aren't exactly easy to hide on a consistent basis, and the residents nearby, it seems, don't care too much for having foreign troops as guests.

Quote:
Personally, I believe South Korea will make a huge fuss about nuking North Korea as that the family members, friends, and relatives of many South Koreans actually live across the borders and if the United States were to nuke Pyongyang, nobody can guaranteed that the destruction of infrastructure and also the widespread of nuclear radioactivity won't affect those particular individuals. Aside from that, who can ensure that windy days during those period of time won't blow the nuclear radioactivity over to South Korean borders and even maybe Japanese territories? Obviously... The whole idea of nuclear retaliation against North Korea is impossible to begin with but it can still be used as a "last resort" and North Korea is well-aware of it. If they launch nukes and missiles.. Eventually, they will get nuked.
Never say never, IMHO, although I do agree with you in that the U.S. would not freely attack North Korea with nuclear weapons. For one thing, even the clean stuff can spread depending on atmospheric conditions, and China, being right next to North Korea, would not like to get a dose. The chances of Japan receiving radioactive particles in such a case would be low. Nevertheless, the geopolitical structure of Asia/Pacific right now - outside of the stability problem on the (relatively unimportant, military strategic-wise) Korean peninsula - is such that a nuclear-based attack is not likely to happen.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-09-30, 01:13   Link #4131
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hage-bai View Post
Interesting abduction case off cnn. Seems this is not unusual in marital disputes. Hope the guy is released and can get his kids back.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ion/index.html
So basicly, his wife kidnapped their children and fled to Japan, and he tried to kidnap their children back? Call me crazy, but neither of them would seem to be very fit parents of they both thought kidnapping was a good idea.
Old 2009-09-30, 01:21   Link #4132
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
So basicly, his wife kidnapped their children and fled to Japan, and he tried to kidnap their children back? Call me crazy, but neither of them would seem to be very fit parents of they both thought kidnapping was a good idea.
The officials in Japan have an absolutely horrendous record when it comes to this sort of event (spouse runs home to Japan with kids illegally) in terms of working with the US. I can see why he thought it was his only option -- though it effectively rules out any chances he has unless he can force it to the world stage and embarrass the government sufficiently.
Old 2009-09-30, 01:54   Link #4133
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The officials in Japan have an absolutely horrendous record when it comes to this sort of event (spouse runs home to Japan with kids illegally) in terms of working with the US. I can see why he thought it was his only option -- though it effectively rules out any chances he has unless he can force it to the world stage and embarrass the government sufficiently.
Perhaps, but in doing so he pretty much threw away any chance of getting his kids. If he had been able to bring it to world attention before, maybe he could have succeeded, but now I find it very unlikely.
Old 2009-09-30, 05:08   Link #4134
FateAnomaly

How would he bring it to world attention if he didn't try to "kidnap" his own children? Anyway, the problem isn't that he did it but the way he did it. He should have done it more covertly.
I guess Japan need all the children they can get so thats why they got such rulings.
Old 2009-09-30, 08:07   Link #4135
killer3000ad

Kashimiri girl axes terrorist to death
Jammu housewife kills jihadi with axe

NDTV report on the incident

Wow, this woman's got some balls, attacking an AK wielding terrorist with an axe.
Old 2009-09-30, 08:16   Link #4136
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Kashimiri girl axes terrorist to death
Jammu housewife kills jihadi with axe

NDTV report on the incident

Wow, this woman's got some balls, attacking an AK wielding terrorist with an axe.
Well it is a pity the other ran off. But the terrorist's body should be hung in the middle of the town and lathered with pork lard as a warning to the others. No mercy!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-09-30, 08:58   Link #4137
killer3000ad

Chicago - 16 year old beaten to death during gang violence

THe vid of the incident is really quite disturbing, random people throwing fists and swinging planks, and then the victim just walking by gets clobbered in the head, and then for inexplicable reasons that I just cannot fanthom, the other belligrents just jump on him and don't let up.
Old 2009-09-30, 09:57   Link #4138
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Chicago - 16 year old beaten to death during gang violence

THe vid of the incident is really quite disturbing, random people throwing fists and swinging planks, and then the victim just walking by gets clobbered in the head, and then for inexplicable reasons that I just cannot fanthom, the other belligrents just jump on him and don't let up.
Judging by the situation in which two groups of kids clashed together resulting in one casualty, it is clearly that there is some sort of reason attached to it. It does not look like the kids were attacking random passerbys but was targetting this guy and the other one on the right side.

This is most likely a case of underworld rivalry involving kids. This sort of thing occurs all over the places. Considering that the attackers weren't not armed with guns or knives, there is a possibility that they had no intentions of killing him but was just giving the guy a beating and ended up overdoing it. Nonetheless, their actions deem them as murderers and these guys will most likely get life imprisonment or the death penalty depending on the state itself.

Speaking of which, why is there a plank of wood in the middle of nowhere!?
Old 2009-09-30, 10:54   Link #4139
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
People often cry out for the freedom of speech when they have a freedom of thought which is seldom used.

Quote:
Judging by the situation in which two groups of kids clashed together resulting in one casualty, it is clearly that there is some sort of reason attached to it. It does not look like the kids were attacking random passerbys but was targetting this guy and the other one on the right side.

This is most likely a case of underworld rivalry involving kids. This sort of thing occurs all over the places. Considering that the attackers weren't not armed with guns or knives, there is a possibility that they had no intentions of killing him but was just giving the guy a beating and ended up overdoing it. Nonetheless, their actions deem them as murderers and these guys will most likely get life imprisonment or the death penalty depending on the state itself.

Speaking of which, why is there a plank of wood in the middle of nowhere!?
Just like how a few months ago there is this case which the store employee chased a robber and tased him with "a taser provided by a passer-by", things appear out of nowhere. Like a preacher friend of mine who said, "Just pray to God and he will make it appear".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-09-30, 11:07   Link #4140
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

23 die as Typhoon Ketsana roars into Vietnam
Quote:
Hanoi, Vietnam (Sept 29): Typhoon Ketsana roared into central Vietnam today, killing at least 23 people as it brought flooding and winds of over 144kph, disaster officials said. Some 170,000 were evacuated from its path.

Ketsana left more than 200 dead across the northern Philippines as a weaker tropical storm. After gathering strength over the South China Sea, the typhoon made landfall in mid-afternoon, about 60km south of Danang, according to the National Weather Centre.

- ASSOCIATED PRESS
Tsunami in South Pacific kills nearly 100
Quote:
Apia, Samoa (Sept 30): A massive tsunami unleashed by a powerful earthquake flattened Samoan villages and swept cars and people out to sea, killing at least 99 and leaving dozens missing today. The death toll is expected to rise.

Survivors fled the waves of water for higher ground on the South Pacific islands after the magnitude 8.0 quake struck at 6.48am local time (5.48pm GMT) on Tuesday. The quake was centred about 200km south of the islands of Samoa, which has about 180,000 people, and American Samoa, a United States territory of 65,000.

Less than 24 hours later, another strong underwater earthquake rocked western Indonesia on today, briefly triggering a tsunami alert for countries along the Indian Ocean. The 7.6-magnitude quake toppled buildings, cut power and triggered a landslide on Sumatra island, and at least 75 people were reported killed. Experts said the seismic events were not related.

- ASSOCIATED PRESS
Indonesia quake kills 75
Quote:
Padang, Indonesia (Sept 30): A powerful earthquake struck off the city of Padang on Indonesia's Sumatra island today, killing at least 75 people and trapping thousands under rubble, officials said.

The death toll was likely to rise further as many buildings, including hotels, schools and shops had collapsed, Vice-President Jusuf Kalla told a news conference in Jakarta. TV footage showed devastation, with piles of rubble and smashed houses after the 7.6 magnitude earthquake, which caused widespread panic across the city of 900,000 people.

- REUTERS
It feels like the End of Days here in South-east Asia...
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international