AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-10-08, 19:11   Link #2361
Volcanic
fire of fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaolix View Post
A bit of speculation on the future. How long will Erika stay alive in Umineko? She came to the board because of a miracle. The same will probably happen on the next game since she will be the detective. However, if she fails to please Bernkastel this time...
There was a theory on TVTropes that Erika was heading to Alas Poor Scrappy in this regard. I wouldn't be surprised, but I wonder if we'll learn more about her. I'LL NEVER STOP HATING ON HER THOUGH.
Volcanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 20:06   Link #2362
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanic View Post
There was a theory on TVTropes that Erika was heading to Alas Poor Scrappy in this regard. I wouldn't be surprised, but I wonder if we'll learn more about her. I'LL NEVER STOP HATING ON HER THOUGH.
Maybe I shouldn't say I don't mind liking BattlErika because their names perfectly match up, and she's the only female around Battler's age that doesn't smash a cute pairing or is suspected to not exist.

I do hope we get some more info on her. Maybe something like another vague bone to Higu players, like "I used to live in the mountains." or something of that nature.

She does seem like the antisocial Rika of Saikoroshi-hen.
Workworkwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 21:26   Link #2363
Megaolix

So how this will go... If detective Erika is defeated next game, then the only thing left for Battler is to reveal the truth and end this. And the last board will probably be one were the family notice something off leading to the discovery of the plot and culprit before the first twilight. Maybe followed by a battle between culprit and Battler too (gun fight? Verbal fight of 'Why do this?'). Now that I think of it, piece-Battler didn't participate in any fight yet, did he? Wonder how good he would be...

Anyway, Erika's survival may probably depends on sorcerer Battler too.

But I wonder how this will go... This time, there's no one repeating the tragedy like Rika in Higurashi. Unless Battler does something, but there's no way to know for now.
Old 2009-10-08, 21:37   Link #2364
luckyssol

Quote:
So how this will go... If detective Erika is defeated next game, then the only thing left for Battler is to reveal the truth and end this. And the last board will probably be one were the family notice something off leading to the discovery of the plot and culprit before the first twilight. Maybe followed by a battle between culprit and Battler too (gun fight? Verbal fight of 'Why do this?').

Erika's survival may probably depends on sorcerer Battler too.

But I wonder how this will go... This time, there's no one repeating the tragedy like Rika in Higurashi. Unless Battler does something, but there's no way to know for now.
Why would Battler reveal the truth if he already knows it?

I think his mission now is to get rid of the evil Rika clones and Lambda then put Beatrice to rest peacefully.

Regarding the culprit, I think Ryukishi said he's not going to come out this time and say "X is the culprit". So we may have an ending where the mastermind is revealed but exactly who killed who is left for people to guess on.
Old 2009-10-08, 21:45   Link #2365
Megaolix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
Why would Battler reveal the truth if he already knows it?

I think his mission now is to get rid of the evil Rika clones and Lambda then put Beatrice to rest peacefully.

Regarding the culprit, I think Ryukishi said he's not going to come out this time and say "X is the culprit". So we may have an ending where the mastermind is revealed but exactly who killed who is left for people to guess on.
I think that would suck, honestly. If we don't know who and how, how are the closed rooms going to be broken? Leaving those who can't understand in the dark forever would piss me off.

Okay, so maybe Battler won't announce it like I proposed. However, we don't know yet how he will play as the game master. But in the end, to return home, I think he'll probably have to announce it in gold to leave the meta-world. Then last episode would be how and why and a world were no murders happen. And the sin revealed too. Can't forget the sin.
Old 2009-10-08, 21:54   Link #2366
luckyssol

Quote:
I think that would suck, honestly. If we don't know who and how, how are the closed rooms going to be broken? Leaving those who can't understand in the dark forever would piss me off.

Okay, so maybe Battler won't announce it like I proposed. However, we don't know yet how he will play as the game master. But in the end, to return home, I think he'll probably have to announce it in gold to leave the meta-world. Then last episode would be how and why and a world were no murders happen. And the sin revealed too. Can't forget the sin.
That's a good theory for the last episode. Revealing to the culprit that he remembers the sin that he had forgotten all this time finally prevents the murders from happening.

There should still be a fight at the end for entertainment value.
Old 2009-10-08, 22:13   Link #2367
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or perhaps, Erika as a person on the island only exists for one game, but Erika the Witch that fights Battler the Golden Witch, will continue onwards. So perhaps there will be no "piece Erika" in Game 6, but Meta-Erika will be there to play and use "piece Battler" as her detective piece.
Old 2009-10-09, 05:15   Link #2368
Volcanic
fire of fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Or perhaps, Erika as a person on the island only exists for one game, but Erika the Witch that fights Battler the Golden Witch, will continue onwards. So perhaps there will be no "piece Erika" in Game 6, but Meta-Erika will be there to play and use "piece Battler" as her detective piece.
This is what I think was established (the person count only went up when Erika came) and I think it's what we'd mostly prefer. After EP5, I'd like to see our good ol' murders again. *smacked*

Yeah, witch!Erika is definitely sticking around to figure out the culprit. sorcerer!Battler is controlling the board too, so she's probably the new meta!Battler and sorcerer!Battler the new Beato.

I wonder if, during the murders, sorcerer!Battler will kinda be a deadpan. I can see him acting like in EP3, and Erika acting like him in EP2. ("You're incompetent, Erika." "Dammit!")
Volcanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 06:57   Link #2369
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I don't get what's Erika's purpose if she isn't a piece anymore. Her very existence was brought up by Bernkastel because she needed her own piece on the gameboard. If Erika can't be a piece anymore, then Bernkastel doesn't need her, she can fight from the metaworld alone (and better).

The only explanation I can see is that Bern grew up some attachment on her "child" and therefore she'll let her continue her challenge against Battler.

But for some reasons I can't figure Bern being so nice ^^;

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 07:03   Link #2370
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I don't get what's Erika's purpose if she isn't a piece anymore. Her very existence was brought up by Bernkastel because she needed her own piece on the gameboard. If Erika can't be a piece anymore, then Bernkastel doesn't need her, she can fight from the metaworld alone (and better).

The only explanation I can see is that Bern grew up some attachment on her "child" and therefore she'll let her continue her challenge against Battler.

But for some reasons I can't figure Bern being so nice ^^;
Spoiler for EP 5:
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 07:03   Link #2371
Apathy
does not compute

I'm personally hoping that Battler will play a different sort of gameboard to the one that Beatrice played, assuming that he is the gameboard master next time around. Likewise, I'm hoping that Erika won't simply take on Battler's role. I'm not entirely clear on the stance Battler was taking at the end, but I'm assuming that he's still of the opinion that witches weren't the ones who caused the murders? It seemed to me that he was mainly taking over Beatrice's place to get Beatrice back, but I could be wrong. (Please correct me if I am).

I guess, in short, even though they might be in those roles now, due to their personalities I'm assuming that they'd handle it differently than the ones (Beatrice and Battler) who were previously in those roles. In any case, I'd guess that Erika will stick around for at least the next game.

I have to say that I'm not too fond of Erika, as it stands. ; Even if she does end up as an 'Alas Poor Scrappy', I feel that I still might not end up being too fond of her. .____-;
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 12:29   Link #2372
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy View Post
I'm personally hoping that Battler will play a different sort of gameboard to the one that Beatrice played, assuming that he is the gameboard master next time around. Likewise, I'm hoping that Erika won't simply take on Battler's role. I'm not entirely clear on the stance Battler was taking at the end, but I'm assuming that he's still of the opinion that witches weren't the ones who caused the murders? It seemed to me that he was mainly taking over Beatrice's place to get Beatrice back, but I could be wrong. (Please correct me if I am).

I guess, in short, even though they might be in those roles now, due to their personalities I'm assuming that they'd handle it differently than the ones (Beatrice and Battler) who were previously in those roles. In any case, I'd guess that Erika will stick around for at least the next game.

I have to say that I'm not too fond of Erika, as it stands. ; Even if she does end up as an 'Alas Poor Scrappy', I feel that I still might not end up being too fond of her. .____-;
To be honest, anyone who says they know a single thing about how the next EP will go is deluding themselves. The ending is one of those rare instances where something everyone knows is kept from the reader (usually, we at least have Battler in the dark with us). Your guess about Battler's motives is as good as anyone's at the moment.

Also, don't worry. You seriously aren't supposed to be fond of Erika, ever
I doubt Ryuukishi will ever try to spin her reputation the other way unless he has a long build-up for it first (like, a Beato-sized one).

I think she mainly exists as a way for Battler to actually win against someone for once...and I have the suspicion that meta-Erika will turn out to be mostly an illusion herself.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 12:58   Link #2373
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
To be honest, anyone who says they know a single thing about how the next EP will go is deluding themselves. The ending is one of those rare instances where something everyone knows is kept from the reader (usually, we at least have Battler in the dark with us). Your guess about Battler's motives is as good as anyone's at the moment.

Also, don't worry. You seriously aren't supposed to be fond of Erika, ever
I doubt Ryuukishi will ever try to spin her reputation the other way unless he has a long build-up for it first (like, a Beato-sized one).

I think she mainly exists as a way for Battler to actually win against someone for once...and I have the suspicion that meta-Erika will turn out to be mostly an illusion herself.
Well, if he didn't want us feeling for her, he failed miserably. I'm already attached to her from her masochism with Bern.
Old 2009-10-09, 13:39   Link #2374
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Considering what she did to Geltrude and Cornelia that was little thing in comparison. I actually rejoiced when Erika has been bullied by Lambda. It is very rare for me to hate an anime/game character but in Erika's case I'd actually find pleasure in seeing her being mistreated. I can feel more sympathy for Eva-Beatrice and Rosa.

Old 2009-10-09, 15:40   Link #2375
Workworkwork

Quote:
Considering what she did to Geltrude and Cornelia that was little thing in comparison. I actually rejoiced when Erika has been bullied by Lambda. It is very rare for me to hate an anime/game character but in Erika's case I'd actually find pleasure in seeing her being mistreated. I can feel more sympathy for Eva-Beatrice and Rosa.
She, uhhh... Is just copying Bern?
Old 2009-10-09, 15:54   Link #2376
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I've never seen Bern resorting to physical bullying, at least not her in first person, Bern is just too cool to dirt her own hands.

Old 2009-10-09, 16:01   Link #2377
Workworkwork

Quote:
I've never seen Bern resorting to physical bullying, at least not her in first person, Bern is just too cool to dirt her own hands.
But Erika has twintails!

And she leans even more into maliciousness than Beato, but she still doesn't have "EVIIIIIL" looking sprites like Bern.
Old 2009-10-09, 16:16   Link #2378
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

You know that's not EVIL that makes me dislike a characters, I usually find myself loving the villains more than the heroes. Bern looks very evil in ep5, I'm still wondering about possible reasons behind her strange behavior however there's no doubt that she is cruel.

Anyway an evil character can be very cool and have lot of fans, despite the cruelty. Think about Sephiroth just to name one.

The problem with Erika is that she's annoying. A lot annoying...

She never stops boasting her "gray matter", and how she is intelligent, and how everything is so simple and how the others are so stupid not realizing simple things. But more importantly she is a "douchebag". Regardless of her continuous self-flattering she isn't half as good as she claims to be.

Her theories and reasoning are slightly above the the level of Battler's small bombs. How the hell she came up with a letter glued on the ceiling that drops down exactly at midnight?

Also it's cool how she was owned by Battler even on general mystery novel culture. Again it was proven that her "knowledge" can't even compare with that of Battler, Battler the incompetent, go figure...

Old 2009-10-09, 19:33   Link #2379
desirebluesky
* ahaha.wav *

Send a message via MSN to desirebluesky
but Battler isn't THAT incopetent. i always had the feeling he's very inteligent but just doesn't use his brain much, especialy when needed. (probably due to beeing hot-headed... *this user acts like that all the time*)
i mean, he DID figure the epitaph out... the only thing Erika did was saying "good, exactly as i thought" all the time. (and giving him the idea of solving it)

while i noticed Erika may be annoying, she didn't actually annoy me... she's kinda like a Watson of this story, just with asshole element added.
and people who are actually confident with their inteligence don't need to prove it in front of others all the time. i think her behaviour is quite realistic. XD honestly, you see douchebags like that everywhere. how should i put it, she just seems human to me, and for some reason it makes her less annoying. (funny thing, i would probably hate her IRL...) i actualy even like her, though just a little. she has a potential for nice character development, i hope she gets some. (it probably won't make people hate her less though.)

i loved the scene when Battler found the gold and noticed she's already practicing her speech.

not to mention she gets owned quite a lot in the story, it makes up for her "i'm so awesum" moments.

Quote:
he also said he'll make it quite obvious through the hints only. so if you already have some solid theories (or read them on forums ) you should figure things out easily. and if you don't, if you reread it again you should pick more clues that were 'hidden' so far and arrive at the truth eventually. (well something like that)

i'm actualy think it's a great idea, can't wait to see how he pulls off the ending.

Quote:
Her theories and reasoning are slightly above the the level of Battler's small bombs. How the hell she came up with a letter glued on the ceiling that drops down exactly at midnight?
it's worse than small bombs. XD and you would need a Small Bomb to make a letter drop exactly at midnight. XDD
desirebluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 19:37   Link #2380
Marion
The Great Dine

Erika as a Watson but more annoying. I don't remember Watson hijacking mysteries from Holmes in any stories I read :P

Well we have to remember that the reason people seem to listen to Erika a lot of time is because of Bern and Lambda's influence on the board. Perhaps her status as 'detective' might attribute to this as well, since if you notice in EP 1-4 (mostly 1-3 though) that the other characters sometimes listened to Battler's theories more than not.

I remember early in the anime during arc 1 when everyone was inside the servant's rest room they were all listening to Battler talk about the key and the padlock, as if going on his every word. It was stated in red by Dlanor that he was the detective of EP 1-4, so maybe they listened to him for the same reasons they're now listening to Erika.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote