AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-12-29, 16:53   Link #20561
SidVicious
Anime addict

I'm really curious to see how everything will end.
Old 2010-12-29, 19:15   Link #20562
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchfan View Post
My Japanese is good enough to read about a sentence a minute. That's around four "screens" an hour. I somehow slugged through EP7 (though with about 95% understanding), but I'll probably avoid EP8 until the patch comes out, unless my curiosity kills me... difficult language be damned. I had enough difficulty learning English.
That's why I was wondering. Last time before EP7 came out I posted a little bit about getting Translation Aggregator to work. But I made a more comprehensive post this time in the Translations thread.

Here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=5825

It's helpful if you already know a bit of Japanese grammar but just need help with vocabulary. I wouldn't recommend using it for the automatic translations... except for purely entertainment; i.e. since it consistently screws up, sometimes the "translations" are awesome.

I'm going to keep that post in my signature too.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 20:06   Link #20563
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
We're willing to attribute to other characters way more advance planning, even Yasu herself (admittedly not on a decades-long timeline, but there was still a lot to do logistically if we buy any of that). Kyrie nursed an 18-year grudge. The idea that someone has been tweaking this thing along toward tragedy (whether they intended that it end as it did or not) is not all that far-fetched.

The "true mastermind" may not have really actually planned out any series of murders or disasters, but I have to think there was somebody at the nucleus of it all causing it to happen. Otherwise we're forced to believe in a confluence of unhappy accidents that compounded into disaster. While that's certainly plausible (and decidedly more realistic, at that), I don't know if it's genre-appropriate.

I don't think it's correct to make those comparisons since almost all of them were hinted before the end of EP4. What I mean is that at this point any master plan that is behind the events of this story should have been hinted.

For example a theory that involves either Okonogi or the Sumadera as masterminds for what happened on Rokkenjima is fine, because hints about them can be seen (although they aren't really certain), however the hints are at best related to a possible monetary reason, I can't see a rational reason as to why they would want Yasu to become Lion.

For the same reasons saying that Genji or Hideyoshi are the culprits unless I missed something would be really come out of the blue, because I can't see any element that would let the readers understand that they must be the culprits rather than someone else.

I don't mean to say that the hints must make it blatantly clear, but the solution must stick out as substantially more probable than any other theory once you see all the elements that support it.
For the Epitaph it was so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
If there are indeed choices and branches and the like, I imagine it will be much harder for casual Japanese readers to navigate than the more linear ones, but we'll see!
Frankly I've always appreciated the fact that Umineko doesn't have branches. That's why I'm not really happy about this sudden turn. Maybe you like it, but I don't, and to me this is a "bait and switch".

So what I hope is that the branches merely let you see different aspects of the same story and not alternate developments or even multiple endings.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 20:23   Link #20564
TehChron

Jan-Poo, so does that mean you're not interested in an Angeburger Good End in addition to a...more complete conclusion?
TehChron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 20:32   Link #20565
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

I won't mind multiple endings as long as there's a true ending.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 20:35   Link #20566
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Frankly I've already seen a good end (EP6) and a bad end (EP7), I guess it's fine as long as they are fictions, but after being told in the story several times that once you open the catbox only one reality remains I don't want to be betrayed and being told that the catbox will never be opened or that the catbox is opened and there's still multiple realities.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 20:38   Link #20567
Judoh
Mystery buff

I like Lemon Ice's idea about the choices. I'd like Ryukishi to do it that way. Except I would want there to be more choices like that about confirmed theories so It would seem more like a test at how well you've been reading the game.

Also I want the BGM love_examination to play when the choices show up.

so much wishful thinking.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 20:39   Link #20568
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Frankly I've already seen a good end (EP6) and a bad end (EP7), I guess it's fine as long as they are fictions, but after being told in the story several times that once you open the catbox only one reality remains I don't want to be betrayed and being told that the catbox will never be opened or that the catbox is opened and there's still multiple realities.
Maybe the result of the multiple endings is due to being lost in Bern's catbox repeat uses of the gameboard?

That being said, all Ange appearances require that they end with Angeburgers. It's a rule.
Old 2010-12-29, 21:24   Link #20569
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
So is Featherine in a Logic Error for violating it?
Old 2010-12-29, 21:27   Link #20570
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
So is Featherine in a Logic Error for violating it?
She did go back to sleep at the end of Episode 7, so conceivably so.
Old 2010-12-29, 21:55   Link #20571
RockReborn

As far as making choices in the ending goes, I'm rather under the impression that Ryukishi meant that if one were to put themselves in Battler's shoes, they see that he has a choice: he can tell Ange what happened as it actually did (gruesome details and all), or he can sugarcoat the truth as one should for a six year old. Really, I don't think Ryukishi meant that the choices were ours to make, but rather Battler's. Thus, we're all probably going to see the same exact game.
RockReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 22:02   Link #20572
luckyssol

Well, I’m going to go out on a limb on this.

I think Ange will be doing an investigation in 1998. I think the choices you make will be based on who you decide to question or what places you decide to visit, etc. The game board of EP8 may be built based on this.
Old 2010-12-29, 22:04   Link #20573
Judoh
Mystery buff

That's not what he seemed to imply in the interview. But it's not like he hasn't lied in an interview before. ( He once said that Erika was just misunderstood and then afterward he proceeded to put her in the worst possible light in episode 6)
Old 2010-12-29, 22:05   Link #20574
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
That's not what he seemed to imply in the interview.
Hm? Could you clarify what you mean by this? Or were you writing in response to someone else?
Old 2010-12-29, 22:07   Link #20575
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
Hm? Could you clarify what you mean by this? Or were you writing in response to someone else?
I didn't notice that you posted until now sorry.
Old 2010-12-29, 22:10   Link #20576
luckyssol

No problem but I would like to hear your opinion on the choices. Do you think the certain character is Yasu/Battler/Ange/other?
Old 2010-12-29, 22:18   Link #20577
Judoh
Mystery buff

I think it will either be Ange or Yasu/Lion.

I don't expect Battler to do much in the next episode. That seems to be the pattern so far since episode 5. But I could be wrong.
Old 2010-12-29, 22:21   Link #20578
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
I suspect that any choices will be closer to Harlowe Thrombey than Edwin Drood.

I also suspect that the Erika shown in Ep 6 is as similar to the real Erika as the Kyrie shown at the end of Ep 7 is to the real Kyrie.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 22:21   Link #20579
Helmet-kun
Local Crackpot

I'd want Lion to end up paired to ONE person (doesn't really matter who).

It's completely unfair that Yasu had her own HAREM while her counterpart got kitty raped.
Old 2010-12-29, 22:35   Link #20580
Vylen
Apprentice Sorcerer

Lion is like, a sexual deviant.... pinching anyones butt for any reason.