AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-06, 02:10   Link #1
mytwin.45s

grim adventure

im looking for an anime where the main character is faced with an impossible journey/task and there is no way way they can survive/succeed. but they dont bitch about it. they keep their cool or keep a fake smile, however they cope just not bitching. i cant say how much i hate whiny characters. the anime should have great action sepuences and a story that draws you in to it, to the point where u forget ur out here u know. a bit of romance would be good too but not necessary

ps. the main does not have to succeed in his task, im interested in the journey and hardships to get there
Old 2011-09-06, 06:23   Link #2
Spjong

Claymore and Berserk may be what your looking for
Old 2011-09-06, 07:23   Link #3
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
Old 2011-09-06, 15:30   Link #4
Elegance

Phantom Requiem For The Phantom. Was scared at first but then stops bitching. A bit of romance and they do try to survive. They all act fake to blend in and of course keep there cool.
Old 2011-09-07, 22:44   Link #5
Niji

Otogizoushi might fit. It has 2 arcs, one Heian, and one contemporary, sort of. Dont remember whether the main succeeds in finding the goal though.

Wolf's rain has a grim adventure for sure. Main focus is a group of chars, not just one. It did have me glued to the screen for most part. Most chars are pretty cool, one is a bit "weaker" but not a whiner.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:20   Link #6
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann?

The main character does whine a bit at the start but he gets it together and just mops the floor with everyone else.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2011-09-11, 05:04   Link #7
mytwin.45s

thanks for the replies. i must say that i may have mispoke earlier. the closest suggestion i got to what im looking for is wolfs rain. i guess what im looking for is more of a tragedy than grim adventure. so lets say im looking for a tragedy. but if the hero/s suceed thats good too
Old 2011-09-11, 07:31   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In that case let me suggest the three-episode arc, "Bakeneko," that ends Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. The sequel, Mononoke, also has tragic elements. They're both remarkably animated by Nakamura Kenji with a top-notch performance by Sakurai Takahiro in the lead role.
Old 2011-09-12, 11:43   Link #9
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

There's two I would suggest.
The first is Deadman Wonderland. I think this show has exactly what you're looking for. It is tragic, dark, and the main character is up against truly impossible odds. Check it out. The only downside is that the character does whine a bit the first couple episodes, but he toughens up fast.

The second I would suggest is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Don't let the title or first few episodes fool you--the show is very dark, and I think it has what you're looking for if you watch it all the way through. Like Deadman Wonderland, it's pretty short--only 12 episodes long.

Good luck!
Old 2011-09-12, 20:28   Link #10
Boduar

World Destruction or alternative Sands of Destruction may fit what your looking for. TBH I cant remember how it ends but I believe story follows a small group of people setting out to destroy the world (major underdogs).
Old 2011-09-12, 23:49   Link #11
ArrowSmith

I guess you won't care for Neon Genesis Evangelion with whiny Shinji.
Old 2011-09-12, 23:58   Link #12
cerrian

Scrapped Princess probably fits the bill. The main character doesn't bitch about her fate or the cards handed to her, rather she puts on an air of acceptance and carefreeness (is that even a word?).
Old 2011-09-13, 00:06   Link #13
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Scrapped Princess probably fits the bill. The main character doesn't bitch about her fate or the cards handed to her, rather she puts on an air of acceptance and carefreeness (is that even a word?).
Until she meets a very horrible fate.
Closed Thread