AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-26, 20:19   Link #21
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
or Nintendo didn't pay them enough to make it 3DS exclusive.
Gamefreaks is Nintendo-owned, they themselves wanted the multi-systems thing.

I can understand their reasons for it, but I had hoped ever so slighty they might've taken the riskier route of making it an exclusive so as to reposition the brand to the new console and marketing it as a system seller. Especially after the price drop last year, I think more people would've be receptive to the idea of picking up a 3DS.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 00:34   Link #22
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Well if you think about it, they might want to save the first 3DS exclusive pokemon game to launch the next generation.
This is just buying time, because it's certainly not time yet for the next generation. I mean think about it, if they had this game on the 3DS, then it would certainly undercut the next generation in terms of how much they can claim has improved.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 00:37   Link #23
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
I can understand their reasons for it, but I had hoped ever so slighty they might've taken the riskier route of making it an exclusive so as to reposition the brand to the new console and marketing it as a system seller. Especially after the price drop last year, I think more people would've be receptive to the idea of picking up a 3DS.
Hasn't Nintendo been hinting at a revamp of the 3DS for a while anyway? I doubt they'd put their flagship exclusively on a soon-to-be outdated (and somewhat failed) hand-held. I feel like it would leave a bitter taste in many fans' mouths to have to buy a 3DS to play a game they all want to play... only to have that system go *out of style* in a few months. That, or they'd have to wait and wait, until the new system is released to buy the system and a, by then, old game.
Old 2012-02-27, 03:00   Link #24
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

If this is *not* just a glorified Gray split into two games, this could be one of the greatest things ever.

And as dated as the DS is in this day and age, I'm still sore at Nintendo for region locking the 3DS, so I'm glad that this apparent sequel is coming out on the DS.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 07:34   Link #25
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Hasn't Nintendo been hinting at a revamp of the 3DS for a while anyway? I doubt they'd put their flagship exclusively on a soon-to-be outdated (and somewhat failed) hand-held. I feel like it would leave a bitter taste in many fans' mouths to have to buy a 3DS to play a game they all want to play... only to have that system go *out of style* in a few months. That, or they'd have to wait and wait, until the new system is released to buy the system and a, by then, old game.
They aren't going to make the 3DS obsolete. That'd be marketing suicide. All they'd do is introduce a new version of it. You know, like the DSlite or DSi to the DS, or the GB Advance slim to the GB Advance.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 13:47   Link #26
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
They aren't going to make the 3DS obsolete. That'd be marketing suicide. All they'd do is introduce a new version of it. You know, like the DSlite or DSi to the DS, or the GB Advance slim to the GB Advance.
i am waiting for the 3DS-XL
Old 2012-02-27, 14:55   Link #27
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
I think that's what Vena was talking about.
Old 2012-02-27, 15:16   Link #28
GDB

Doubt it. If that were the case, how could putting a Pokemon game on it be bad due to it "going out of style" or be "outdated"? That context implies that it would no longer be supported. A new version (3DS XL, for example) wouldn't outdate the 3DS at all, or make it any worse for someone who purchased it.
Old 2012-02-27, 17:57   Link #29
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Imagine buying a 3DS now because it had Pokémon. Then a couple months later Nintendo announces a new model. Wouldn't you be disappointed that you didn't wait for the (inevitable) revision that most likely has better screens and better battery life?

I know I would.
Old 2012-02-27, 18:05   Link #30
GDB

No, I wouldn't be. I wanted to play X, so I bought it when it came out, not caring about the inevitable updated system that Nintendo always puts out. It's not as if a new version would be a surprise. If you wanted it that badly, then you can trade in your current 3DS. Your disappointment at your own inability to be patient or plan ahead does not mean the original model 3DS is no longer supported, it merely means that you were an early adopter.

Besides, if they didn't even announce the new model until a few months after Pokemon came out, then it likely wouldn't come out for another few months. That's at least 6 months of difference. You can't be disappointed that new tech comes out 6 months or more after you buy something when you already waited over a year to get the tech in the first place.
Old 2012-02-27, 18:34   Link #31
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I just want Grey , is that too much to ask for? Man the covers look horrible
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 18:50   Link #32
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Gamefreaks is Nintendo-owned, they themselves wanted the multi-systems thing.
not quite right. Game freak is standalone company and nintendo do not own them

and pokemon ip is shared gamefreak:nintendo by 1:2

Last edited by RRW; 2012-02-27 at 21:07.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 18:58   Link #33
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

I always enjoyed the third versions. I liked Platinum much better than Diamond and Pearl and they are more convenient for people like me who have no trade opportunity (ignoring trade-only evolutions ) by giving a better selection *coughonlyoneadditionalfiretypeindiamondandpearlco ugh*
But, I won't bash the idea of a direct sequel and will wait until more information are given in the future.
Additionally, this would be the second game I'd be interested in for the 3DS.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 02:33   Link #34
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I don't have any real expectation to pick it up. But will depend on whether they are making a new story here or if it's just a revised version.

Not surprised it's not on the 3DS. Figure they'd wait for the next generation of pokemon games and put that on the 3DS. Though not like it really matters since visually unless they really want to take a large step I wouldn't expect too much change.
Old 2012-02-28, 08:46   Link #35
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Your disappointment at your own inability to be patient or plan ahead does not mean the original model 3DS is no longer supported, it merely means that you were an early adopter.
You're the only one here who keeps bringing up the "it wouldn't be unsupported" argument. No one here is arguing that it wouldn't be.

By the way, I'd appreciate it if you adjusted your tone to be less judgmental.
Old 2012-02-28, 09:22   Link #36
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Quote:
Doubt it. If that were the case, how could putting a Pokemon game on it be bad due to it "going out of style" or be "outdated"? That context implies that it would no longer be supported. A new version (3DS XL, for example) wouldn't outdate the 3DS at all, or make it any worse for someone who purchased it.
While it has never exceeded the state of passing rumors since late 2011, Nintendo has confirmed that it will be rolling out *upgrades* for the 3DS that fall in line with the rumors and expected form of the new revamped 3DS (two joysticks). So, while they aren't going to be making it obsolete there is the possibility that they will be rolling out a new system (including internal hardware upgrades) which will require that people start buying add-ons for their 3DS just to match. I consider this, to some degree, being "obsolete" (so it seems we use the word differently, I do not mean to say that Nintendo will drop the system like a hot potato but they will work to steer themselves away from it). So, in this case, the example of DS to DSlite, DSi, or DSXL, are not quite accurate as those did not introduce any new external hardware (that was relevant, cameras don't count) and only marginal internal spec increases if any at all.

So, why release pokemon on a system that many may not have bought because of certain well known complaints/issues and possible, looming changes on the horizon, when you can release it on a stable, well known and loved, system which does not preclude the ability for the game to be run on higher end systems? I would imagine that more people will be happy in this way, given what I said above, than they would be if the system were 3DS exclusive.

^Not to mention that the game won't be coming out for another four or so months in Japan, six or so in America, and by them Nintendo could have already started rolling out the changes to the 3DS and news of the revamped model (if it pans out). So the game could end up coming out close to the date that the newer stuff is about to come out or is fresh in the back of everyone's head... so why buy a 3DS at that point when you know that, just around the block, is something better and less 3D?
Old 2012-02-28, 15:17   Link #37
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Definitely not surprised that it wasn't on the 3DS. But surprised it wasn't a single version change but two sequels...? Not really sure what will make this game "2" though... Will need to wait for more info to judge on what Gamefreaks is planning.

Still, dang, Kyurem + Zekrom looks ugly. Those arms...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 16:47   Link #38
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
So, in this case, the example of DS to DSlite, DSi, or DSXL, are not quite accurate as those did not introduce any new external hardware (that was relevant, cameras don't count) and only marginal internal spec increases if any at all.
The DSi has one more powerful ARM CPU instead of the two that the DS and DS Lite has. Not only did this mean dropping backwards compatibility with GBA games, but it opened the door for "DSi-enhanced" games. Thankfully there are few of them.
Old 2012-02-28, 21:36   Link #39
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I hope we get to visit previous regions from the last games. That would be awesome.
Old 2012-02-28, 22:19   Link #40
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deikan View Post
I hope we get to visit previous regions from the last games. That would be awesome.
I've learned to expect Game Freak to *not* do that with every new batch of Pokemon games. Sure, it would be nice to be surprised, and I wouldn't eliminate the possibility, but it's best not to count on it.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pokemon black and white