AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-20, 10:58   Link #1
DarkyPwnz
Likely To End Up In Jail

Ecchi Fanservice: Does it really add anything to a show?

In case you didn't know already,as I've stated before,I personally hate what is called fanservice. Here is why:

I've watched only two anime shows with a disturbing amount of fanservice,Strike Witches and Highschool of the Dead. I watched the first one because I somehow came across a trailer on Youtube,looked it up,thought "hey,military,I like watching things blow up so I might like this".

The other one was because a friend told me it was a "great anime show about a zombie apocalypse." Now I did except the main characters to be teenagers with guns,but what I saw made me question why I was watching it in the first place.

Basically I didn't know what I signed up for,in my defense.

Anyway,my main complaint is,neither of these shows had a good plot. Highschool of the Dead ended at a very weird point and it had at a potential of at least ten episodes to go. The story wasn't as dark as you would think either,and none of the main characters dieing made it even more cheesy. (If you don't count the gray haired guy at the beginning) Also,I hate Rei's guts.

Strike Witches,it was allright but it was all about weird camera angles,and the story wasn't much compared to say,Steins Gate,Code Geass? It doesn't have to be as good,but the story was very superficial and again it could be done better.

Both of these shows could have done without the excessive amount of fanservice,and in my opinion,it would make them much better. It kinda felt that they were relying on it so people wouldn't mind the lack of a good story.

What are your opinions on this?
Old 2012-03-20, 11:33   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Fanservice is the simple solution to attract more audience, get the audience glued to the screen and want more of it and to sell more DVDs and merchandise.

Want to catch the attention of the audience through trailers and promotions? Fanservice shots.
Want to disguise the lack of content with something so that the audience keeps interest? Fanservice.
Want to encourage DVD sales? DVD only fanservice.
Want to sell more merchandise? Print fanservice on everything, design figures based on fanservice.

Fanservice promotes sales to a show, but if the question is asking does fanservice add anything to a story, no it doesn't.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 12:06   Link #3
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Fanservice is the simple solution to attract more audience, get the audience glued to the screen and want more of it and to sell more DVDs and merchandise.
Honestly, this common argument is a bit overstated.

Some of the best selling anime shows of all-time had little-to-no fanservice in them (i.e. Madoka Magica, K-On!, Fate/Zero, AnoHana, etc...)

On the flip-side, some fanservice-heavy shows do pretty poorly sales-wise.

Now, what I think is true is that having a fanservice-heavy episode somewhere between Episodes 2 and 5 of a show that isn't really about fanservice usually causes a bit of a sales spike (this was seen with both Hanasaku Iroha and Guilty Crown, IIRC). Fanservice can also sometimes help the sales of a show that might otherwise fail to sell on the basis of other appeals alone.

But fanservice is neither the only way for an anime to sell, nor is it a surefire way for an anime to sell. It probably helps sales more often than not, but it's not a silver bullet.

Quote:
Want to encourage DVD sales? DVD only fanservice.
This in particular seems very questionable to me. Maken-Ki had quite a bit of censored fanservice during its airing, with the message blaring loud and clear that "If you want to see this fanservice unedited, buy the DVDs and Blu-Rays!"

Did it work? No, not really. Maken-Ki didn't sell all that well, IIRC.

Now, as for do I think that fanservice adds anything to a show. When used carefully and in the right context, yes, it can.

Nothing wrong with a degree of erotic appeal. But the thing is that the fanservice shouldn't clash with the overall mood/tone of the work. It should compliment what's already there, and ideally flow seamlessly from that. Good recent examples of this are Guilty Crown, Rinne no Lagrange, and Aquarion EVOL, imo.

Unfortunately, fanservice is not always used in such a complimentary fashion (it wasn't in the case of Strike Witches, imo, so I agree with the OP there).

But when fanservice is used well, it can add some sensuous appeal and flavor to the overall work, giving it a bit broader appeal.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-03-20 at 12:18.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 12:11   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There are dozens, probably hundreds, of excellent anime shows without any fanservice. Why not watch those instead? If someone recommends a show, go look it up at AnimeNewsNetwork or AniDB, read the synopis, and look at the genre tags. If it says "ecchi," try something else.

Hint: All the images in my signature point to shows without any ecchi content, with the possible exception of Welcome to the NHK!, where the limited fanservice is an integral part of the story.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 12:20   Link #5
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Definitely fanservice isn't the only way to sell, but its used when the studio doesn't want to commit to the story itself. It is a cover up for the lack of content or filler. A show with terrible content can only hope to use fanservice to make up for some.

Any well written story can do without a panty shot or bounce, fanservice as the term itself suggests is just a little extra for the audience. If a writer could pull off a good scene that requires fanservice, that would be a job well done, adds to the context, fans are happy.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 12:24   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Definitely fanservice isn't the only way to sell, but its used when the studio doesn't want to commit to the story itself. It is a cover up for the lack of content or filler. A show with terrible content can only hope to use fanservice to make up for some.

Any well written story can do without a panty shot or bounce, fanservice as the term itself suggests is just a little extra for the audience. If a writer could pull off a good scene that requires fanservice, that would be a job well done, adds to the context, fans are happy.
Yeah, I completely agree with you here.

I just don't want to let anime studios off the hook for having poorly-written stories by saying "Well, can you blame them? Fanservice is the only way to sell anyway!"
Old 2012-03-20, 13:37   Link #7
Utsuro no Hako

Depends on the fanservice. In Ben-to it was funny and fit the tone of the show -- ooo, look our idiot hero's so captivated by this girl's boobs that we don't even see her face. Highschool of the Dead on the other hand was annoying because it was at odds with the tone, but I was able to tune it out and enjoy the zombie story. Then there's crap like Onii-chan zen zen ... whatever the heck it was. The incest comedy where the fanservice is horrible, but removing it wouldn't make one bit of difference to how bad the show is.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 13:39   Link #8
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

There's also some fanservice-heavy shows when their BD/DVD sales sold so well that they finally gives second seasons, such as Queen's Blade. But I always think that series that entirely lacks fanservice do not sold well and rarely gives second seasons...
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 14:55   Link #9
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
There's also some fanservice-heavy shows when their BD/DVD sales sold so well that they finally gives second seasons, such as Queen's Blade. But I always think that series that entirely lacks fanservice do not sold well and rarely gives second seasons...
You are very much mistaken if you think shows that lack fanservice do not sell well or they don't have more than one season. Here are a few examples that contain little to no fanservice and have more than one season: Clannad, Prince of tennis, Maria Watches Over Us, Jigoku Shoujo.
I don't think many here have a problem with fanservice. It's just that it shouldn't interfere with the main plot or be an important part of the storyline(Seikon no Qwaser). What I don' t like is when panties and boobs are in your face all the time, like in Freezing.
Old 2012-03-20, 14:58   Link #10
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
One shouldn't use HotD as an example of anything... really. That show wasn't meant to be taken seriously and all the stupid stuff was intentional. Doesn't mean one has to like it of course.

As for me, I guess really obnoxious fanservice involving anatomically inaccurate figures, badly drawn, or putting the characters up as sex objects for display can be insulting. Excessive fanservice does suck, but sometimes it can be used to push the attractiveness of a certain character if done appropriately. There's a huge difference between the fanservice in Inu x Boku SS, Nisemonogatari, To love-ru, and Ben-to, for example.

But in general, I like fanservice, so it adds lulz I guess?

Overall, there's nothing wrong with showing off the sexiness of the characters. However, in many cases, they're doing it wrong and selling them off like pieces of meat.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 16:03   Link #11
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
You are very much mistaken if you think shows that lack fanservice do not sell well or they don't have more than one season. Here are a few examples that contain little to no fanservice and have more than one season: Clannad, Prince of tennis, Maria Watches Over Us, Jigoku Shoujo.
I know that there are shows that has little-to-no fanservice solds well, but there's some that doesn't sell well (but still has lack of fanservice).
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 16:18   Link #12
Random32
Also a Lolicon

It supposedly boost sales of DVD and merch. Though fanservice based shows most often aren't top selling material, they definitely do sell, and sell enough to either make tons of profit relative to effort put in or be a safety net to edge a series close to breaking even if people don't like it as much as they would have hoped.

I personally range from don't care to liking fanservice. Unless it's a fanservice oriented show such as QueensBlade, its pretty easy to ignore. If it is a fanservice based show, I would be watching it for the fanservice and there would be nothing to ignore. And used tastefully in other shows, its an extra bit of eye candy.

btw OP. I consider both HotD and Strike Witches to be very fanservice oriented shows. As in most watchers were watching for fanservice.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 16:24   Link #13
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
It really depends. If you use it right, it can be downright hysterical. I've burst out laughing during fanservice moments...but it's normally the character's reaction to the said fanservice that gets me.

Spoiler for "H2O Footprints in the Sand:

Spoiler for "Devil Hunter Youko:

That crap was funny!

If you put it in a serious situation like have the characters talking about something REALLY important and suddenly panty shot out of NOWHERE?
It's annoying and distracting and too random.
YES, I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU, GONZO!!

But I will never say "That's unnecessary!" when a bishounen takes off his shirt.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-03-20 at 16:45.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 17:08   Link #14
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
I don't think many here have a problem with fanservice. It's just that it shouldn't interfere with the main plot or be an important part of the storyline(Seikon no Qwaser). What I don' t like is when panties and boobs are in your face all the time, like in Freezing.
Some non-fanservice shows do sell well. Most of the time however fanservice shows do sell slightly better than the non fanservice ones. Many are also sadly mistaken that shows with zero fanservice are always better than shows with some fanservice...mostly because fanservice shows get more attention. A lot of non-fanservice shows are even worse than fanservice ones plotwise, but because no one watches them, they just ignore it.

Personally, I'm part of the "I just don't give a fuck" crowd. HSOTD was a pretty damn good seller, and almost everyone I knew loved it (I didn't love it that much, but it was pretty goddamn enjoyable.) Strike Witches...I grabbed the DVD right after I saw it. So what do I know, gimme a good plot or good comedy, and I don't care about whatever comes afterward

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 17:22   Link #15
piccahoe
Pain & Determination

What bothers me is some Anime or Manga doesn't even need fan service since it already has a pretty good story to keep people interested so why add it?
piccahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 17:31   Link #16
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

This may come across as a radical concept, but maybe there are a sizeable portion of Anime viewers that likes fanservices in their show? Not to the level of Queen's Blade of course but just enough to sweeten the pot.

On this forum alone I could count at least six prominent offenders that I'm sure most of you already know them as well
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 17:37   Link #17
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Most series have proven that fanservice is merely a substitute for actual story writing, character development, and genuinely fun scenes. I wouldn't be sad for it to all but disappear from the face of the earth. It's garbage.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 18:11   Link #18
Random32
Also a Lolicon

What is wrong with fanservice? If you don't like fanservice oriented shows, don't watch them! It's not like someone is holding a gun up to your head and forcing you to watch Queens Blade or anything. If its not a fanservice oriented show with solid characters and plot, what is wrong with also having fanservice? If its a mediocre/crap show, would it really make a difference to you if it didn't have fanservice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccahoe View Post
What bothers me is some Anime or Manga doesn't even need fan service since it already has a pretty good story to keep people interested so why add it?
Because if not overdone it makes a show more... visually appealing.

Quote:
This may come across as a radical concept, but maybe there are a sizeable portion of Anime viewers that likes fanservices in their show? Not to the level of Queen's Blade of course but just enough to sweeten the pot.
Such a radical concept! /sarcasm
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 19:35   Link #19
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccahoe View Post
Here you go;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

On this forum alone I could count at least six prominent offenders that I'm sure most of you already know them as well
I'll admit I enjoy fanservice. A lot. Of course I enjoy general plot and writing more, but it should tell you something when one of my favorites this season is Highschool DxD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Most series have proven that fanservice is merely a substitute for actual story writing, character development, and genuinely fun scenes. I wouldn't be sad for it to all but disappear from the face of the earth. It's garbage.
The majority of anime viewers would like to disagree.

Anyways, I'll take Random32's quote because I pretty much meant to say this;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
What is wrong with fanservice? If you don't like fanservice oriented shows, don't watch them! It's not like someone is holding a gun up to your head and forcing you to watch Queens Blade or anything. If its not a fanservice oriented show with solid characters and plot, what is wrong with also having fanservice? If its a mediocre/crap show, would it really make a difference to you if it didn't have fanservice?

Because if not overdone it makes a show more... visually appealing.

Such a radical concept! /sarcasm

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 19:54   Link #20
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Anyways, I'll take Random32's quote because I pretty much meant to say this;
Which brings me to another point I forgot to mention earlier... And that is the creator of this thread needs to find himself a better source of reliable Anime information than Youtube and "From a Friend it's good"
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote