AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2007-04-01, 01:52   Link #1
NeoSam

Watashitachi no Tamura-kun (Light Novel discussion)

わたしたちの田村くん
Watashitachi no Tamura-kun

Based on a shounen light novel thats published under the shounen light novel label Dengeki Bunko.
For now there are 2 volumes released of this shounen light novel:

Spoiler:

A shounen manga based on the light novel is serialized in the shounen manga magazine Dengeki Comic Gao!
For now there is 1 volume released of this shounen manga:

Spoiler:

Synopsis: (thanks to eggplant for the translation )

Quote:
Tamura Yukisada, a thrird year middle school student, fell in love at first sight with Matsuzawa Komaki. However, Komaki, being the eccentric girl she is, only says that she must return to her homeland star. When Yukisada learns that Komaki meant she wanted to join her parents, who were killed in an accident, he decides to confess to her. After Komaki's grandmother, her only in-law, passes away, she moves out. Yukisada kept in touch with Komaki by exchanging letters, but she stopped sending it around the time of high school entrance exams. Upon entering high school, Yukisada meets Souma Hiroka, an girl who hardly attended middle school, who was tutored by Yukisada's older brother Nao. Yukisada attentively looks after Hiroka, wherein she opens her heart to him and confesses her love. One day, Yukihiro receives a letter from Komaki for the first time in a while. Written in the letter was, "Who is Souma-sam?". The beginning of a love triangle.
Genre: Shounen, Romance
Old 2008-05-10, 00:25   Link #2
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

i just found this light novel and i'm currently reading volume 1.

any one knows who yuki will end up with?
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 07:06   Link #3
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

This is going to turn into a long post...

Finished reading the novels~ ^o^
and...

Uuuuuuu... UUuuuuu! Excellent! Wonderful! Yuyuko really made a great work!
Originally, I didn't plan or want to completely say Toradora fails compared to this novel, but as I read on, I slowly lost anything I could say good about Toradora that Watashi-tachi no Tamura-kun didn't have. It was really good.

-The drama is better. Immersing.
-Yukisada is a really great protagonist. One of the best I've seen. A lot more colorful than Ryuji.
His thoughts/monologues and actions are hilarious!
People might dislike him for it (not me), but Yukisada is an idiot. Plain and simple, he is one. He gets cocky, act like a maniac, and accidentally hurt the girls, but in the end, that is one part that was likable to me. Idiot in a good way.
He suffers, worries, and overall does a lot of things you don't typically see in protagonists of this genre lately.
And, he is a lot more of a man than Ryuji! Sure, he isn't a feminist or good at housework, but unlike Ryuji, who half-dies around his crush...
Spoiler for volume 1:

-The heroines are very likable and less stereotypical (or annoying) than Toradora's. I admit Hiroka and Komaki are not exactly 100% original, but they are far from a character that you can simply go "Oh, she's going to act like this" or "".
-All of the characters were likable, except the ones specifically designed to be annoying.

Forget Toradora, hurry up and animate this! It's perfect! 12 episodes long, with 9 or so episodes focusing on the main chapters with the remaining chapters on the bonus stories like Io and Takaura.
Or at least, write a sequal (third volume) of this as an epilogue to the end of volume 2! Please~, Yuyuko-sensei~. Many fans would love it. Assuming you don't make Yukisada do a Makoto...

At the very most, the only minus point of the novel is the very, very end. The author added a little extra with girl that lost, which felt unneeded. In fact, I have suspicions that this was to satisfy fans of the girl who lost, giving them "hope", even though by this point, Yukisada would have to be Makoto-level, in order to dump the girl who won and go back to the loser.
There was a bit after this unneeded part that was useful though, since it allowed the novel to end in a touching way.

Also, I have finished listening to the drama version.
Well, it was decent, but it cut A LOT, making the touching scenes a lot less touching, and overall, it went by too fast. "Exodus Below Freezing Point" was especially cut.
At the same time, the end of the drama took out the unneeded extra attached to the end, perfecting the end. It was moving. Very much so.
Also, voices help. Yukisada's and Komaki's voices were fitting, but Hiroka's felt a bit strange... Unexpected, but I got used to it.
-Yukisada was voiced by Hoshi Souichirou. Thanks to that, Yukisada sounded completely like Keiichi (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni), which fit Yukisada's silliness well.
-Komaki was voiced by Hirohashi Ryou. As expected, Komaki kind of sounded like Tamaki (Bamboo Blade).
-Hiroka... was voiced by Koshimizu Ami. There were several times where she sounded like Nanaka (Myself; Yourself).

Overall, I prefer the manga's way of mixing Komaki and Hiroka's story together, so it blended and Komaki's story was revealed in flashbacks. It flowed a lot better, I felt.

In the end:
+ is good point
- is bad point

Novel:
+Most detailed
-Low amount of pictures

Manga:
+++Pictures for everything
+Way the chapters were mixed in
-Minor cuts

Drama:
++Voices
+Modified Ending
---Lots of cuts

Now for more spoiler talk...
Personally, I didn't mind who ended up Yukisada, because both Hiroka and Komaki were likable.
But, I guess... I was on Komaki's side. I think the manga really helped, since Komaki's cuteness was multiplied ten folds through all of those pictures.
Spoiler for series, ending spoilers meaning BIG spoilers:

And of course, let's not forget Io and Takaura.
Spoiler for their chapters:

Along with this post, I might as well post these:

Spoiler for illustrations of volume 1:

Spoiler for illustrations of volume 2 (Pictures might SPOIL END!!):

Random note: Komaki's hair grew longer by volume 2.

A few wallpapers:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 11:09   Link #4
NeoSam

This is on my "to get list" >.< someday when I have a rare thing called "free time" I'll also be able to read it >.> (lol)

wakataka423 reviewed this light novel back in August 2007:
http://www.lightnovel.org/2007/08/20...-no-tamura-kun

Hopefully someday wakataka423 will return to reviewing light novels >.<
Old 2008-05-24, 20:48   Link #5
Chaotic_Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Drama:
++Voices
+Modified Ending
---Lots of cuts

Now for more spoiler talk...
Personally, I didn't mind who ended up Yukisada, because both Hiroka and Komaki were likable.
But, I guess... I was on Komaki's side. I think the manga really helped, since Komaki's cuteness was multiplied ten folds through all of those pictures.
There was a short story called Ohige Girls (roughly translates as Moustached Girls), bundled together with the Drama CD, which tells a tale of events which occurred after the end of Vol 2. Apart from being a nice and touching story in and of itself, it also feels like a definitive end to the whole Tamura-kun series, even more so than what occurred at the end of Vol 2.

Which means, sad to say, that there won't ever be a Vol 3 ToT
Chaotic_Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 20:51   Link #6
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic_Reign View Post
There was a short story called Ohige Girls (roughly translates as Moustached Girls), bundled together with the Drama CD, which tells a tale of events which occurred after the end of Vol 2. Apart from being a nice and touching story in and of itself, it also feels like a definitive end to the whole Tamura-kun series, even more so than what occurred at the end of Vol 2.

Which means, sad to say, that there won't ever be a Vol 3 ToT
What?!
Have you read it? What was it about (the story, what happens)?
I knew about the fact two extra short stories existed, but I didn't know how important Ohige Girls was.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-07-02, 06:42   Link #7
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Boring, boring novels. The ending was clear from the beginning and it didnt change through out the whole series. You will like it only if you are

Spoiler for ending:

Extremely predictable, bunch of unoriginal characters and an idiot male lead. There are so much better stories to be animated than this.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 02:11   Link #8
Matt122005

The artwork looks really interesting, looks to me to be by the work of Yasu who did Toradora. But darknemo, you say the story is boring? Well, maybe its best nobody wastes a translation then. But then again......<_<

Hmff, well, if someone does do a translation, I wont have any objections. lol ^_^

-Matt
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 07:06   Link #9
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
The artwork looks really interesting, looks to me to be by the work of Yasu who did Toradora.
That because this was the first work of both the author and artist of Toradora!
Old 2009-02-23, 07:17   Link #10
roan

Quote:
The artwork looks really interesting, looks to me to be by the work of Yasu who did Toradora. But darknemo, you say the story is boring? Well, maybe its best nobody wastes a translation then. But then again......<_<

Hmff, well, if someone does do a translation, I wont have any objections. lol ^_^

-Matt
If you like Toradora, you'll probably like this. If you don't, you probably won't. It's really as simple as that.
roan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 11:03   Link #11
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
But darknemo, you say the story is boring? Well, maybe its best nobody wastes a translation then. But then again......<_<
Iya, it's quite a good read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roan View Post
If you like Toradora, you'll probably like this. If you don't, you probably won't. It's really as simple as that.
Funny you say that. I hate Kusodora... I mean, Toradora, but I love this. Because... They aren't even similar, besides the genre.

Old 2009-02-23, 15:28   Link #12
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Iya, it's quite a good read.

Funny you say that. I hate Kusodora... I mean, Toradora, but I love this. Because... They aren't even similar, besides the genre.
I'm thinking more in terms of writing style (I mean, it is pretty distinct) and general ease of reading.
roan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 23:51   Link #13
Kenshinyoh

I hope a fan group starts translating the Novel!!! T_________T i need to read it...
Kenshinyoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 12:47   Link #14
Shadow5YA

From the illustrations, it seems that the novel has some differences at the end compared to the manga. Anyone care to elaborate on what those differences are?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 10:30   Link #15
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
From the illustrations, it seems that the novel has some differences at the end compared to the manga. Anyone care to elaborate on what those differences are?
Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2010-04-29, 17:59   Link #16
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Spoiler for Reply:
Care to go more in detail?

Spoiler for manga ending:

Spoiler for novel ending questions:
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 16:58   Link #17
Dorsai

I like Toradora but this is just worthless shit... I cant believe how author could destroy what he started in this LN/manga... How Tamura treated Hiroka in the end was one of worst i ever saw in any romance manga and that still end in nice way? I would be happy with nice boat ending here...

Tags
dengeki bunko, light novels, shounen