AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is the best girl?
Ichika 14 7.69%
Nino 30 16.48%
Miku 95 52.20%
Yotsuba 23 12.64%
Itsuki 18 9.89%
Other 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2018-09-24, 12:08   Link #801
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
Well lots of harem are set up so that the girls share a very deep bond with each other so they are genuinely happier sharing than being the only winner. Sometimes is even the main girl who pushes the most for the harem.
They're set up that way to make it a guilt free male wish fulfilment. Doesn't stop it from being an insult to everyone's intelligence and a pitiful forced limitation for a female character that you feel deserves better. In my eyes, these kind of animes are instant garbage-tier.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 12:14   Link #802
Tenzen12

To be fair Mushoku Tensei and Gundam IBO made work somehow. But yeah it's trash writing anyway.
Old 2018-09-24, 12:46   Link #803
Lex79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
They're set up that way to make it a guilt free male wish fulfilment. Doesn't stop it from being an insult to everyone's intelligence and a pitiful forced limitation for a female character that you feel deserves better. In my eyes, these kind of animes are instant garbage-tier.
It's pretty obvious that they are wish fullfillment stories (and I don't have any problem with that) but they are really worse than the alternative of having one winner and the other girls heartbroken?
While I'm 99% sure that this series will end with one bride (and she's most likely Itsuki) I absolutely won't mind an ending with Foutarou living with all the quintuplets as his lovers.
Lex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 13:14   Link #804
Tenzen12

Broken hearth is not terminal ilness, people who get through that, will eventualy move on and find own wholesome happiness, or at least have chance to do so. So yes it's much better alternative.

And 5to is really not story that can make harem work without hurting story badly anyway.
Old 2018-09-24, 13:21   Link #805
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Broken hearth is not terminal ilness, people who get through that, will eventualy move on and find own wholesome happiness, or at least have chance to do so. So yes it's much better alternative.

And 5to is really not story that can make harem work without hurting story badly anyway.
I kind of disagree for 5-toubun, is that the quints lived so much together, they can easily go back to share Fuutarou, HOWEVER, that would throw the whole fairness thing now the drain and get back to equality.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 13:24   Link #806
Tenzen12

Which is exactly one of reasons (if not THE reason) why it would hurt story badly here.
Old 2018-09-24, 16:04   Link #807
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Harem endings are no doubt "bad writing", but I won't go as far as saying that every story that features it is instant garbage-tier. Some stories are intended from the get-go to be harems and do a convincing/decent job of developing that aspect as smoothly as possible. Mushoku Tensei is probably the best developed harem I've ever seen tbh and then we have anime like Tenchi Muyo which played a big role in popularizing the genre.

Anyway, I agree that a harem or open ending has no place in Go-Toubun. Even an Itsuki ending is better than that...
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 21:00   Link #808
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK-95- View Post
Anyway, I agree that a harem or open ending has no place in Go-Toubun. Even an Itsuki ending is better than that...
Absolutely not!
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 21:09   Link #809
zezegui222
A simple man

^I have to agree here, an Itsuki ending would be the worst possibility in my opinion
zezegui222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 21:55   Link #810
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Absolutely not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zezegui222 View Post
^I have to agree here, an Itsuki ending would be the worst possibility in my opinion
Look guys, I'm no Itsuki fan either, but y'all are telling me that you'd prefer an ending that shits all over the original premise of the story rather than see Itsuki win?

Come on now, an open ending or harem end in this particular case is going to be much more infuriating than an Itsuki win. Don't let your Itsuki hate cloud your better judgement. lol
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2018-09-24, 22:07   Link #811
Chosen_Hero

It's not about bad writing but about bad writers who are not willing to commit to the harem end due to either an obvious bias they have towards first girl making every other choice obviously irrelevant from page 1 (why even have a harem in the first place?) or the inability to envision how to properly end the story with a harem which leads to them cornering themselves and probably never properly finishing the series at all or giving it a open ending where nothing is resolved (this is not good writing, this is just plain giving up).

Heck, there are even examples of mangakas and LN authors that just plain sabotage the story themselves just because at some point it started to naturally veer of into a different territory from where they wanted it to go (a good writer would leave their bias behind and let this kind of story develop organically even if it does not end how they expected it to).

P.S. I personally would rather have an Itsuki ending than a Nino ending, but I would also rather a new girl come from out of nowhere and win than have a Itsuki ending.

Seriously, anyone else but those two.
Old 2018-09-24, 22:13   Link #812
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^^
^
They went out of their way to make all 5 heroines equal (literally quintuplets) to make sub-heroines actually have a chance of winning
And it ends with main heroine winning anyway?
Nuh uh, don't give me that crap
Old 2018-09-24, 22:49   Link #813
Hujan
One Who Search The Truth

Although it will make me salty, I dont mind Itsuki ending IF she got a development to become better like what happen with Nino (although I can't imagine it, it need Author to be a genius to make Itsuki become better, but HE manage to make Nino became likeable so we will need to wait and see).

Vague ending is better than Itsuki ending IF Itsuki is still like this. CMIIW, but IIRC the premise of the story is Futarou marrying the sisters (we don't know if it is just one of the sisters or more than one or all of the sisters, we just assume it just one of the sisters, there is no word that Futarou marry just one and didn't marry the others). so harem end or vague end didn't betray the premise (except I remember wrongly) and I am fine with whatever the ending as long as it didn't betray the premise.
Old 2018-09-25, 00:54   Link #814
Lex79

Well in Japan polygamy is illegal so the author doesn't really need to explicitely tell Foutarou is gonna marry only one sister.
Old 2018-09-25, 01:01   Link #815
WingedAccelerator

About the "just one of the sisters" part...
Raiha tries to tell the bride's name to the grandparents in the flash forward chapter (Chapter 32), and she also says that the bride is a quintuplet. The harem ending possibility only gained momentum after Raiha witnessed there that there are a lot of clothes to wear for only a day. The implication is not only that there is only one bride, but also Raiha and the whole family were kept in the dark about Fuutarou marrying all of them, if it turns out to be true, while one of them was the designated girlfriend, suposedly fiancee later, just to reveal it was a placeholder for 5.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-25, 01:55   Link #816
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
It's pretty obvious that they are wish fullfillment stories (and I don't have any problem with that) but they are really worse than the alternative of having one winner and the other girls heartbroken?
While I'm 99% sure that this series will end with one bride (and she's most likely Itsuki) I absolutely won't mind an ending with Foutarou living with all the quintuplets as his lovers.
So if MC rejecting his harem and pick one girl = not OK as he hurt his harem feeling, BUT... when a female character rejected countless random males and ends up with MC, it is acceptable. So I guess it is ok to hurt random male characters' feeling as long as it is not MC?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-25, 02:29   Link #817
Lex79

Basically yeah, mostly due to the very different emotional attachment I feel towards main characters versus the countless unnamed suitors of the heroines and the very different way such rejections are shown.
Old 2018-09-25, 02:58   Link #818
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
So if MC rejecting his harem and pick one girl = not OK as he hurt his harem feeling, BUT... when a female character rejected countless random males and ends up with MC, it is acceptable. So I guess it is ok to hurt random male characters' feeling as long as it is not MC?
That's why this is Shounen and not Shoujo genre
Old 2018-09-25, 09:11   Link #819
DJBlitzkrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
That's why this is Shounen and not Shoujo genre
Demographic =! Genre
DJBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-25, 10:12   Link #820
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBlitzkrieg View Post
Demographic =! Genre
But this is a shonen-style romcom tho. It's also tagged as shounen on MAL.

Tags
dumpster fire, first girl after all, harem, privileged main heroine, quintuplets, retcon, student-tutor, train wreck