AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-01, 20:54   Link #1
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Disc Drive troubles.

For some reason my computer won't read CD-Roms, only DVDs. Any idea on what's up? I know zilch about compter tech so someone please help. Thanks.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 21:17   Link #2
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
For some reason my computer won't read CD-Roms, only DVDs. Any idea on what's up? I know zilch about compter tech so someone please help. Thanks.
I believe that there are 2 lenses in a dvd drive, one for dvd and one for cd. Best case scenario is that it is dust clogging it up, worst case is the laser has gone.

For dust u can get a cheap dvd cleaner that is disc with a little brush on it. I have heard of ppl using compressed air and blowing it through the slot fixing it, but I have also heard that it can make it worse too (imagine churning up all the dust that has settled in the bottom of the case. Others take apart their's to blow it with compressed air. Never ever touch the lens as it calibrated and you will foobar it if u do so.

If it is out of warranty, DVD drives are really cheap nowadays so I personally would just buy a new one rather then invest in ways to fix my old one.

Oh if u ever plan on using Linux only I recommend against Lite-On as them buggers require windows to update the firmware....
Old 2007-07-04, 15:18   Link #3
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

I would suggest you just buy a new DVD burner. Like gray-moon said DVD Burners are really cheap nowadays and you can get them for $100 or less at any computer retail store. If you don't trust yourself in installing it yourself you can ask the store to do it for you for a fixed price. Stores like Best Buy and Compusa will be happy to install it for you.
Old 2007-07-04, 15:55   Link #4
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro View Post
I would suggest you just buy a new DVD burner. Like gray-moon said DVD Burners are really cheap nowadays and you can get them for $100 or less at any computer retail store. If you don't trust yourself in installing it yourself you can ask the store to do it for you for a fixed price. Stores like Best Buy and Compusa will be happy to install it for you.
I would say 50$ or less.
Old 2007-07-04, 19:58   Link #5
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
I'd say more like $30... well if you buy them online that is. Stores are always bitches when it comes to stuff like this.

And installing a CD/DVD drive is probably the easiest thing when it comes to computers. If you already have one, just unplug that and put the cables back where they were. Also look for the jumper settings, but if they're all the same it's easy as pie.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 15:16   Link #6
arcadeplayer987

Yeah at 30$ you can find a good DVD-RW, look for NEC, I have one and is great, no problem in 2 years
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 20:57   Link #7
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Here's mine, 20X DVDR/W+DVDRAM at only $27.99. Very good performance on my pc...

LITE-ON LH-20A1P-185

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...

Last edited by Furuno; 2007-07-11 at 04:43. Reason: sry bad link...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-10, 09:45   Link #8
arcadeplayer987

Is that a link for Lite-on??because if is, is not working
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-10, 11:53   Link #9
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Ha, I still had the service plan from the store. They replaced it for me.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote