AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 63 52.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 10.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-25, 18:46   Link #41
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Kimikiss still haunt me.
You crazy person, the Kimikiss anime adaptation was a brilliant series. Oh wait it didn't end the way you wanted or something like that?

Episode 13 goes to show how you should handle drama. That whole race scene was just so spectacular to watch, with so many emotions just flying all around the place.

It's like i have a deeper love and understanding for this show and it's cast after that episode. Really quality stuff.
Old 2008-12-25, 19:10   Link #42
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I absolutely love this episode. Just about every hang up I had with any of the characters have gone away. It was a bit awkward with some moments and there's still plenty left to be said, but it was incredibly.

We did see Ryuuji realize that he put too much hope with Taiga's dad. We don't know for sure if he wants to hang out with his daughter again (Maybe it's the time. Maybe he gets less work around Late Fall/Early Winter) but still the disappointment stand. But Minori did give Ryuuji the answer and the apology he deserved. That really made everything great at the final scene.

The slow-clapping part was typical, but did really work. That scene does get great points though for Ami-chan in the Dominatrix outfit and Taiga in her little angel costume. (Did anyone else notice that all the other girls were maids? Lol.) It's hard to comment on the scene really.

But daaaaaaaaaaaamn, who doesn't like the race? Ryuuji really GARs (Yes, I'm using that word) up and just takes charge, knocking down the students who put him down. He even does the trick with the fence when he get stuck. And Minori does it too, just to get those track players. This series really shows off the importance of getting even. So many of them look down on Ryuuji and Taiga, but this time...wow.

The other classmates irritated me again. When Ryuuji showed them the dress, they were all "Oh, that dress is so cute!" and suddenly "Ryuuji is scary." I wish these people would just make up their mind. And they got in the way of Minori/Ryuuji and Taiga/Yuusaku. Tired of them.

But that last scene was still really amazing. I mean, don't you just love Kugimiya's voice when she's like that? It was kind of fun to watch the relationships build up from the whole experience.

A really epic ending of an arc, it deserves a 10.
Old 2008-12-25, 19:30   Link #43
typhonsentra

It really was a perfect ending. I just got back home and watched the subs, so touching the whole way through, anyone should count themselves lucky if they have friends like that.
Old 2008-12-25, 19:39   Link #44
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well, the only thing that I really dislike about this episode is Kitamura. And preview of episode 14th which will be a filler. Granted filler based on filler of the novels but still the plot willl not adnavce leaving less episodes to handle the real important scenes later on.

Shiroth, I hated the whole conception of the love triangle's and teen drama in Kimikiss. Kimikiss main point was just a straightforward girlxboy romance. Anime moved too far from it into unnecessarily drama and the same love-triangle drama that we have seen thousands of times before. I don't care about the pairings, I wanted a kimikiss and not some shoujo-istic drama that I have seen way too often. The only good thing that it was not a harem. But it was as far from Kimikiss as it goes otherwise. How can you ask from me to like it? Japanese audience didn't like such big changes too as it seems, making Kimikiss one of the greatest dvd sales failures of that season, specially considering the whole hype about it in the beginning (due to Kimikiss big popularity in Japan).
Old 2008-12-25, 19:49   Link #45
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Kimikiss was absolutely brillant. Being able to handle as many couples and triangles and what have you and while still applying excellent character development to everyone (including fucking Megumi) is nothing short of genius.

What the Japanese think of that show is beyond my caring. It was the first time I had seen a show tackle things head on the way it did and not be afraid to actually leave characters on a sad note (ie not ending up with who they longed for, but bettering themselves as a result). It executed it all beautifully. You're free to hate the people in the show, or their personalities, but to deny the actual execution and follow through of Kimikiss is just straight up foolish.

That being said this episode of Toradora was fucking fantastic, and just continues to set in stone how well the show takes care of its characters. God, if this keeps up we're destined to have a classic to talk about decades from now.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2008-12-25, 20:02   Link #46
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
That being said this episode of Toradora was fucking fantastic, and just continues to set in stone how well the show takes care of its characters. God, if this keeps up we're destined to have a classic to talk about decades from now.
^Very This.

JC Staff, messing this one up would be Strike 3 with Rie Kugimiya fans. Don't screw up.
Old 2008-12-25, 20:12   Link #47
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
By all means, JC Staff didn't made Toradora bad. It is pretty good, though, it could be better without rushing through some parts of the story. It should have been a two seasons of 25 thats for sure, but at least it is not a 12 episode crap like ZnT. Other than the pacing I have no real complaints. Sure director isnt exactly a genius and animation sometime look weak in the process, but it does it's thing.

Master Chibi, for me it wasn't genius at all, rather boring show with too much drama. What I always likes about Kimikiss is for it being so different to avoid all that drama and be more about the core of love - simple relationship of two poeple. In anime they took it all away and made it into one of the drama's that I have seen way too often.

It may be executed good or bad, it is not the point, the point is that it still lost the core of what made Kimikiss so popular. Well if you like it - that's fine, everyone have their own likings and disliking's after all, but to say that I absolutely must like one or another thing is too much as simply because the anime lost what made Kimikiss so popular to begin with.

It wasn't a bad show in execution, I never really questioned it, but it was a bad show in its core conception that differ quite a bit from real Kimikiss. But anyway this is kImikiss, and this is Toradora and we should talk about the later here.
Old 2008-12-25, 20:19   Link #48
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
We did see Ryuuji realize that he put too much hope with Taiga's dad. We don't know for sure if he wants to hang out with his daughter again (Maybe it's the time. Maybe he gets less work around Late Fall/Early Winter) but still the disappointment stand.
The anime cut out some lines, although you can still and should be able to infer the same thing from the reactions, the email, and some of the visual cues.

The father was lying out about work and just went back to his new wife. He also did the same exact thing last year, even having Taiga meet up with him somewhere so they could buy a new apartment; except he never showed up.

When Minori called him last time after he did this, he told her:

"The ties between parent and child can't be cut, but the ties between man and woman will quickly break off. That's why the ones that have to be repaired are the ones between man and woman."
Old 2008-12-25, 20:24   Link #49
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by roan View Post
The anime cut out some lines, although you can still and should be able to infer the same thing from the reactions, the email, and some of the visual cues.

The father was lying out about work and just went back to his new wife. He also did the same exact thing last year, even having Taiga meet up with him somewhere so they could buy a new apartment; except he never showed up.

When Minori called him last time after he did this, he told her:

"The ties between parent and child can't be cut, but the ties between man and woman will quickly break off. That's why the ones that have to be repaired are the ones between man and woman."
If he were lying about that, then there wouldn't be a need to visit Taiga in the first place. Going back to the evil crotch kick of Episode 11, he didn't curse her and still wanted to be with her even after recieveing it. A shallow person would immediately react negatively.
Old 2008-12-25, 20:28   Link #50
roan

Quote:
If he were lying about that, then there wouldn't be a need to visit Taiga in the first place. Going back to the evil crotch kick of Episode 11, he didn't curse her and still wanted to be with her even after recieveing it. A shallow person would immediately react negatively.
Er, no. He was lying. It's pretty clear in the novels. Even over here actually. That was the phoniest sounding excuse ever, which is accentuated by the phoney (intentional) voice acting. Heck, he was still wearing his wedding ring and totally cancelled his plans of moving with Taiga into a different apartment AGAIN.

The deal in the novels is that's the way this guy works and he did the same exact thing last time. He said he was going to divorce his new wife, but he didn't. Whenever things get bad with his wife, he goes back to Taiga. But once that stuff is settled, he ditches Taiga and goes back to his wife. And like I said, the above quote was what he said to Minori, after he cancelled his plans to move somewhere with Taiga with the excuse that he had work overseas.

He's shallow in the, I take my family for granted because family is unconditional, sort of sense. Actually, would that even be shallow? I'm not even sure what to call this guy. At the very least, the impression you're supposed to get from him is that, to him, his daughter is just a convenient disposable emotional outlet.

Last edited by roan; 2008-12-25 at 20:41.
Old 2008-12-25, 20:50   Link #51
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

This episode. WAS AWESOME.

I have no complaints anymore. None.

And yes, next episode is filler. Who cares? So far the filler for this series has actually been good.

This show wins forever.
Old 2008-12-25, 22:53   Link #52
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This episode. WAS AWESOME.

I have no complaints anymore. None.

And yes, next episode is filler. Who cares? So far the filler for this series has actually been good.

This show wins forever.
Next episode would be taking the content from the Spin-off, if I recall correctly?

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2008-12-25, 23:07   Link #53
Traece
:cool:

This was a wonderful episode I must say. Although I gave it a 9, rather than a 10. Not because the episode wasn't worthy of a 10... It just didn't feel like a 10 to me. It felt like a 9.
Ok so that was a lie... I meant to give it a 10, but I 9'd it on accident. <_< Ooops...

But then, we did get to see Taiga looking very, very adorable. You couldn't possibly beat that. Maybe I should have given it a 10... Hmmmm....

All-in-all I think the episode went well, and it was fun to watch Takasu finally be a delinquint like everybody accuses him of being, instead of being a scary guy that cooks well and knits breast pads and fixes up dresses with wings and such. In this episode he finally did physical harm to numerous kids! Minorin did too, and that was definitely interesting.

Taiga was a complete wacko on stage for some reason, and although it was adorable... I was confused because she acted very strangely (even for Taiga) and I don't think I ever understood why exactly she did what she did... But apparently Taiga is Travel-Size. =P

It would seem Minorin is starting to get very close to Takasu, because for once they weren't talking about random things (a code of sorts, since it's complete nonsense but it means something) and getting closer because of it. Apparently she also thinks she might be a lesbian. I made the same face as Takasu, because that was definitely awkward.
Old 2008-12-26, 00:01   Link #54
Bordix

10. Damn, This episode blew me away......
Best ep so far since ep 9.
Old 2008-12-26, 00:38   Link #55
arkxkra
全力全開

good episode. the racing was damn cool.
Old 2008-12-26, 00:46   Link #56
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Another EXCELLENT episode! They wrapped it up quite nicely, but I, once again, feel a slight disappointment that it's all over. These nicely-wrapped conclusions, like in this episode are good, and make for a very nice ending. But for me, i prefer it when the chars are in disarray and are at-odds with each other; when they are unsure of themselves and/or those around them. At the end, with Taiga and Kitamura dancing together, and Minori and Ryuuji staying with each other, it gave a feeling of "all is well" in an 'we're all friends" atmosphere(I'm reminded of the ep in H&C where everyone is looking for the 4-leaf clover w/Hagu) and the conflict that occured from previous eps is gone. This, by no means, makes it bad or anything, I just find "chars in confusion" to be more entertaining, so it's kinda sad to see them getting their priorities straight.

And I KNEW Kitamura was up to something. This whole time, he let Ryuuji open up Taiga's heart, just like with Ami, and then he tried to go in to get Taiga, RIGHT AFTER subtly getting rejected by Sumire! What a slick *******!
Old 2008-12-26, 01:00   Link #57
Voitan

Quote:
\But daaaaaaaaaaaamn, who doesn't like the race? Ryuuji really GARs (Yes, I'm using that word) up and just takes charge, knocking down the students who put him down. He even does the trick with the fence when he get stuck. And Minori does it too, just to get those track players.
Yes, Ryuuji GARs up a bit, but I think the King of GAR this episode and really since the whole show, is Minorin.

She body checks those jerks like a pro wrestler!
Old 2008-12-26, 01:19   Link #58
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

I thought the whole Minorin asking if she was a lesbian was very interesting, and I lol'ed at Ryuuji's face after hearing that XD It might be plausible though.... but I'm not sure. Also she was suprised that she was speaking 'normally' o__O
Old 2008-12-26, 01:47   Link #59
k2000k

A really good episode of Toradora in a season that has been disappointing for me. I have a feeling Taigas moe, not quite dere, will move her up a couple notches for a lot of viewers. Ami and Minorin had their moments as well that really, and perhapes some could argue improve their positions relative to Ryuuji I think Taiga takes the front. Not only does Ryuuji have this epiphany towards Taiga, but Taiga herself seems to have grown up a bit. I really liked seeing Ryuuji fit his yanqui role, even if for a moment, and bust some heads during the race.

Kimikiss, I watched it recently and came away relatively unimpressed, I did not empathize with either of the two major leads, Toradora is in a whole different league.
Old 2008-12-26, 02:35   Link #60
SMage

Episode 13

Well, crap. There goes my initial set of conclusions about Taiga. I thought she was just a childish brat, but there was something more complex behind her vitriol.

It seems that Taiga's exceptionally abrasive attitude is a result of a troubled relationship with her father. Considering that she has been constantly betrayed by her father, I believe that Taiga has grown a deep suspicion of everyone, especially people who are kind to her. In other words, she unconsciously acts like such a ***** because she is afraid of getting hurt and simply wants others to stay away before they can hurt her. I wouldn't be surprised if Taiga still was a tsundere even with a functional family, but I don't think there would be so many genuine expressions of hatred and mistrust.
Closed Thread