AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-22, 09:52   Link #17581
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I just one-shot part 11-21, taking a break for tonight... Continuing tomorrow after work.

Just a couple of thoughts that I notice people didn't mention (if you had, then I apologise)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Marian repeatedly mentioned, she's not a fighter type... Then again, neither is Utgard-Loki and Sigyn... But if this is Gremlin's standard for 'not suited for combat', then what the fuck is the standard of their combat members made of ?!?! Then again, Marian seem to be solo-ing everything by herself up to this point with the other two nowhere in sight so maybe she's the exception...

Secondly, I'm impressed by all the creative use of what I can assume to be pseudo-science theories, techniques and technology that Kamachi used in this volume to make the non-esper characters of Academy City seem almost as supernatural as the Magicians. It's one thing to pull myths and legends, it's another thing all together to use science fiction, and to blend both effortlessly into one takes a ton of research and one heck of an imagination.

One particular scene I would love to see more is the fight between HsB-07s and Loki's Nets. Sure the Nets pwned 3 of their Hypersonic planes, but the last scene showed that they weren't invincible as a Laser took one of them out.

The almost mythical status of 'Kamijou Touma' that Kamachi presents in this volume is kinda amusing- from Kagun's advise to seek him out "If you want to live", to Maria's "I've heard about him" and even Enshuu using his thought patterns as a viable weapon against another Kihara. It's super interesting seeing it from the POV of other people instead of said person's own POV... I'm not sure how to describe it... But it's like he's a superhero if you know what I mean

P.S - I took twenty minutes and a night that could be spent playing [Tales of Graces F] to type all of this out, so I would like some responses for my effort That means you Kyon, Wilf, Tsun, Cosmic, Ping, Sumeragi, Asha, ShM, Flere, Jud, Oka, Ends, Soul, Faiz, MrT, Atrum, Twi...
That is an excellent point on combat effectiveness - I'm actually a little scared now.

As for Kamachi's work - Oda of the LN world, remember. He's already surpassed human limits.

I doubt that the Loki Nets were able to one-shot the HsB-07's - I got the feeling the AC planes were just beginning their counter attack.

As for Touma- I always smiled when he was named dropped as you are absolutely right- he's being depicted as a fast becoming legendary super hero.

Magic is based on legends and myths, right? So isn't it possible that, like Enshuu copied Touma's mental patterns, someone could do the magic equivalant and base a spell on him?
Old 2012-03-22, 09:53   Link #17582
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Cosmic? I've already changed it... Are you sure you're not looking at your quote ?
My bad...

Anyway, I will only be helping out in Index in the future if the volume's more than 400 pages.
Old 2012-03-22, 09:57   Link #17583
tsunade666

Quote:

As Marian repeatedly mentioned, she's not a fighter type... Then again, neither is Utgard-Loki and Sigyn... But if this is Gremlin's standard for 'not suited for combat', then what the fuck is the standard of their combat members made of ?!?! Then again, Marian seem to be solo-ing everything by herself up to this point with the other two nowhere in sight so maybe she's the exception...

Secondly, I'm impressed by all the creative use of what I can assume to be pseudo-science theories, techniques and technology that Kamachi used in this volume to make the non-esper characters of Academy City seem almost as supernatural as the Magicians. It's one thing to pull myths and legends, it's another thing all together to use science fiction, and to blend both effortlessly into one takes a ton of research and one heck of an imagination.

One particular scene I would love to see more is the fight between HsB-07s and Loki's Nets. Sure the Nets pwned 3 of their Hypersonic planes, but the last scene showed that they weren't invincible as a Laser took one of them out.

The almost mythical status of 'Kamijou Touma' that Kamachi presents in this volume is kinda amusing- from Kagun's advise to seek him out "If you want to live", to Maria's "I've heard about him" and even Enshuu using his thought patterns as a viable weapon against another Kihara. It's super interesting seeing it from the POV of other people instead of said person's own POV... I'm not sure how to describe it... But it's like he's a superhero if you know what I mean

P.S - I took twenty minutes and a night that could be spent playing [Tales of Graces F] to type all of this out, so I would like some responses for my effort That means you Kyon, Wilf, Tsun, Cosmic, Ping, Sumeragi, Asha, ShM, Flere, Jud, Oka, Ends, Soul, Faiz, MrT, Atrum, Twi...
okay okay it's a good thing that it's over and onto discussion and also it's good thing that the vacation is starting. Viva Vacation!!!

From Marian's way of fighting. She really isn't the type which fights head on like Bersi/Kagun. The way she was corned twice first from Byouri then Oumi. She is powerful as long as she has tools. And you can't say she was soloing the whole fight because at first. She uses the tools which is "humans" she is expert in human modifying or life modifying that she uses it as weapons and also as a tool to scare the opponent away or destroy their morals. She also use it as a trap or sensory. I can say she is pretty wise and among the gremlins operative that which shown in the beginning she is indeed top tier. Specially when she brought out that cheap/cheat and yes that's a f****UUU cheap sword. She can probably beat almost everyone with that cheap sword of hers.

The other gods in norse aren't showing up yet and I think Marian doesn't qualify yet as thor for what you pointed out. So expect a lot worse and I expect those gods are the battle type and not support type.

I'm disappointed on Sygwin? Sygin? darn spelling Her suggestion looks useful but a waste because we didn't even get to see her. Waste of illustrations too.

GIVE OTHINUS AN ILLUSTRATION!!!!!

Onto the second thought. I also agree. Hands down and bows down with forehead on the ground. Kamachi's creative idea on that department never cease to amaze me even though it all looks gibberish at first because I don't understand it much unless I read it or google it.

On the third part with the HS fights against Loki's net. Its one of the thing that excites me on Index III is the weapons that academy city will unveil. Specially in vol 14 where the boombers shows up to bomb Italy. It will look totally sweet in anime pov when all those high tech of academy city shows up. Magic side shows good characters but their weapons are pretty old looking for me.....

and lastly face it chaoz. TOUMA = HERO of this verse. He got male fans and female fans. But in the afterword of this volume. Solidifies my theory of change for Touma. Because I notice in the chapter when he just say that he didn't ended up saving Kagun. It's like ... it's not bothering him at all or rather it bothers him but its not showing in emotion at all. Touma is CHANGING. It also reminds me the difference of Shirou and Archer of fate. Touma from before would be emotional in such situation when he failed to protect someone and it just didn't ended up with injury but death. He is beginning to accept that he alone or he can't save the world. But still he WILL SAVE "world"

It puts me into at ease in his last words muttered to Ollerus that their are still people needs to be save even though his also at that state. I can't help but mimic Ollerus smiling

Touma is changing and so as the world is changing but something will still not change.

I might sound like a bad guy again but really.......

Quote:
my hope for the next volume...
-misaka POWER upgrade....come-on we got angel level enemy and majin with power that could demolish earth (earth seems pretty cheap nowadays) and what she got is only a RAILGUN and some derivation of electric based power...give her wings
Illusions.... meet the fantasy killer
Old 2012-03-22, 10:09   Link #17584
cleed

Just wanted to make sure Oumi Shuri and Saflee Opendays are alright right? they didn't really die did they?
Old 2012-03-22, 10:14   Link #17585
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
My bad...

Anyway, I will only be helping out in Index in the future if the volume's more than 400 pages.
Volume 5 announced:

It will feature 800 pages .

It seems Kamachi wants to give Marian some hopes of redemeption, Kyon, you want it and just now I want it as well, yeah, we know they fucked each other .
Old 2012-03-22, 10:20   Link #17586
tsunade666

Marian having a baby >.> >.> >.> gives birth? <.< <.< <.<

Vol 5 will be 800 while vol 6 will be 1000+ and by the climax of gremlin arc. they will beat Horizon's level of popularity in thickness
Old 2012-03-22, 10:35   Link #17587
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Haimura-san probably spent a lot of thinking choosing which illustrations to use for which scenes.
Did he?

Quote:
A valkyrie appeared, but I’ll explain it in this volume, so please relax.
Shouldn't it be the 'next' volume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
He is beginning to accept that he alone or he can't save the world. But still he WILL SAVE "world"
Fiamma:
Old 2012-03-22, 10:44   Link #17588
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Did he?
Don't ask me, I'm not the author...

Quote:
Shouldn't it be the 'next' volume?
Text gave it as 本編

Quote:
Volume 5 announced:

It will feature 800 pages .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Vol 5 will be 800 while vol 6 will be 1000+ and by the climax of gremlin arc. they will beat Horizon's level of popularity in thickness
At that rate, I might as well join the Horizon translating crew...or call for early retirement...
Old 2012-03-22, 10:50   Link #17589
classic

Ok guys, as i understood the ones who surely are dead are Utgard-Loki and Kihara Ranshuu?
Kihara Kagun became an Einherjar - something like lifeless zombie? So there is a possibility he will return or he is finished for 100%???
Conidering how many times Byouri resurrected i dont know what to expect from her.
Maria is alive and well (exept beeing scared to shit)
Oumi Shuri and Saflee Opendays probably almost died, but were saved when Touma arrived.Most likely.
Last time we saw Kihara Enshuu when she was uncouncious after battle with Maria and others. It`s mean she is alive so far...
Marian is beaten to a pulp but pretty alive for me.
Last one is Sigyn. Dont know why Haimura made an illustration of her. Really we didnt see her at all. As far as i understood she was captured and interrogated by Maria and Oumi. We dont know what they did with her later, do we?

Correct me if i am wrong. I just want to be sure what happened to all characters.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:50   Link #17590
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Text gave it as 本編
I think that it can be read as "it's own arc" (lit. = original version) in some circumstances? I can't tell since I'm not looking at the whole text and I'm definitely not good with subtleties like those.

From the moment Othinus manhandled roughly Marian's because she was not being useful and after Bersi was turned into a slob, I got the feeling that Marian was going to betray her in the end. Reading the afterword only strengthens my suspicions.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:55   Link #17591
faiz blaster

Quote:
Probably something along the lines of those artificial Valkyries seen in the end. Putting aside that the odds where extremely favorable for them, they were described as being capable of defeating a Saint-level magician like Brunhild (and we all know how much of a monster a Saint is).

Quote:
I don't know if you can call them "pseudo"-science. That magnetic-waves user that fought against Saflee during the Natural Selector made me remember of a physics experiment that I did during my high-school days. The bits about virus and bacteria having no immunity to ultraviolet light and a film of water reducing friction that Enshuu used in her tactics are something that you can easily learn through a research in the internet. The only "science" that looked really shady in this volume was the one that Byouri used, but - in a sense - that couldn't be helped.

If anything, we really should be admiring Kamachi's hard work to make everything so realistic.

Quote:
That's nothing new. We already saw something like that in the perceptions that Accelerator and a few other characters had on him. If there is anything different, it is simply the fact that those perceptions are now shared by an even greater number of people all over the world (I guess his newly found reputation of "being the one who stopped WW3" is not just for show after all).
Old 2012-03-22, 11:13   Link #17592
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
my hope for the next volume...
-misaka POWER upgrade....come-on we got angel level enemy and majin with power that could demolish earth (earth seems pretty cheap nowadays) and what she got is only a RAILGUN and some derivation of electric based power...give her wings
Erm... Awakened Misaka, anyone? "Thunder Goddess" would be awesome.

Bonus points if she can do "INEEDMAHMONEY! / JOHNNYBOUGHTACAR!"
Old 2012-03-22, 11:17   Link #17593
hao-sama

Send a message via MSN to hao-sama Send a message via Yahoo to hao-sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Erm... Awakened Misaka, anyone? "Thunder Goddess" would be awesome.

Bonus points if she can do "INEEDMAHMONEY! / JOHNNYBOUGHTACAR!"
i want her to at least awaken. her military value is seriously diminishing by the volume tbh.. and with the known clones at level4 now, it's only a matter of time before they figure out how to turn them into level5's...

on another note... volume's selling pretty well, i think. must be the word of mouth.
Spoiler:
Old 2012-03-22, 11:29   Link #17594
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
P.S - [I]I took twenty minutes and a night that could be spent playing [Tales of Graces F] to type all of this out, so I would like some responses for my effort
*Smites Chaos2Frozen with a blood-soaked steel pipe*

How dare a mere mortal call upon the Goddess! Know your place!

(You really think I wouldn't apply? You're underestimating our friendship )

Quote:
My view is that she would normally not be in combat or prefers not to be in such a situation. It's sort of similar to myself: If needed, I will use a steel pipe to strike down two dozen rugby players into a mass of bloody pulp, but I would rather avoid that being necessary.

Quote:
I half-agree with this. The way he wrote was smooth, but it's basically a pumped-up version of what is already possible.

Quote:
World War III hero. Enough said.

To all the "Awaken" Mikoto advocates: No. That would essentially destroy her basic character.
Old 2012-03-22, 11:38   Link #17595
judasmartel
*Author

So it's alright if we never see Mikoto curb-stomping anyone again?
Old 2012-03-22, 11:40   Link #17596
hao-sama

Send a message via MSN to hao-sama Send a message via Yahoo to hao-sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
To all the "Awaken" Mikoto advocates: No. That would essentially destroy her basic character.
why not? it's not like it has to come from a heel face turn or something.. wasn't kakine's a realization on his powers? i don't see how it'd necessarily destroy her character.
Old 2012-03-22, 11:43   Link #17597
judasmartel
*Author

I guess it has something to do with that "the Power of Love does not work that way" sort of thing.

If not Awakened Mikoto, how about "Esper-Mage Mikoto"?
Old 2012-03-22, 11:44   Link #17598
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
So it's alright if we never see Mikoto curb-stomping anyone again?
Err... I think the bigger question should be who you want her curb-stomping. At the point we're at now, we're looking at roughly Saint-class opponents and above as the main opponents of the story. Sorry to say, but Mikoto just isn't a Saint-class fighter.
Old 2012-03-22, 11:50   Link #17599
judasmartel
*Author

Too bad then. It seems to me like she's being Chickified, I pray not.
Old 2012-03-22, 11:56   Link #17600
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I just read the author's afterword, and it looks like he teased about the next volume possibly being about valkyries considering they made a small appearance along side Birdway near the end.

I liked how he approached Touma's character in this volume because he's able to save the lives of others perfectly but he failed to save a few people, hence the apology he made to Marian before their fight.

I wonder if Birdway, Yuiko Kihara, or Kakine will make an appearance next volume because they played a significant role during the course of the mayhem and they've been referenced a lot, hinting that their presence will be possible.

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen