Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-07, 01:09   Link #1
Theowne
耳をすませば

Pure, ideal friendship

I'm going to take a break from the love stories for a moment. What series do you guys consider to be great examples of pure, powerful friendship between the main characters?

I would like to discourage recommendations of lengthy shonen adventure stories, while I realize they may fill my request, it's not the kind of thing I want to get into at the moment. Of course, if it's an absolutely amazing masterpiece and you really feel like it's something I must give a chance, I'd be open to it.

Edit: My anime list theowne.myanimelist.net

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-08-07, 01:17   Link #2
oompa loompa

If you havn't already seen it, I suggest you try out Noein. Yes, the relationship between the main characters is romantic, but the drive behind the relationship(s) of all the characters is more of friendship. Having said that, apart from just the main characters, the show is filled with great examples of friendship between the characters.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:24   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, going back a ways I think there are some wonderful friendships in Rurouni Kenshin, though I suppose you could call that a shounen adventure. Again, back a ways (this is harder than you'd think) I'd say Pita Ten is an example of a wonderful friendship between Kotarou and Ten-chan.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:45   Link #4
mit7059

I think I've suggested this to you before but you really should check out Ookiku Furikabutte, pretty much the entire series is about friendship and baseball, and I know you don't have a problem with baseball since you're always going on about Touch and Cross Game. Trust me, Ookiku Furikabutte is the best friendship anime out there, and possibly the best sports anime as well, personally I think I like it more than Cross Game, but that will probably depend on the ending of the Cross Game manga. The only downside to Oofuri is that no one is working on the manga anymore, a group continued a volume or two past the end of the anime but its been dropped.

Its only 26 episodes and it's not shounen its seinen. Really go check it out right now, I certainly didn't steer you wrong on Cross Game.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-08-07, 01:48   Link #5
npcomplete

El Cazador de la Bruja - powerful, endearing friendship between the two female protagonists
Old 2009-08-07, 02:04   Link #6
cerrian

Twin Spica - a bit sublime, but it explores the characters' relationships and how they back each other up during times of stress.

Aria - considering what you were giving 9's and 10's to, Aria is probably a perfect match for you.

Michiko to Hatchin - this one follows an unusual pairing between a jail-breaking, hard-headed woman and the daughter of her former lover as they go on one hell of a wild adventure. At times it's violent and corse so I'm not too sure if this will be to your liking. Nonetheless, this show is about how their relationship develops and how they come to terms with their pasts.

Strawberry Panic - if you're okay with yuri then you might want to check out this one. Has a decent storyline and good execution. Multiple friendships involved but it is still a romance story at its heart.

xxxHOLiC - there are several arcs that emphaize the friendships between the characters and the sacrifices and misunderstanding involved.
Old 2009-08-07, 02:09   Link #7
Ash Falls Town

Floral Magician Mary Bell
Early 90's traditional magical girl series with very young characters. Very friendship based.
Old 2009-08-07, 02:47   Link #8
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

In 07-Ghost, the friendship between the main male lead and a war academy friend is extremely strong.
Old 2009-08-07, 05:18   Link #9
Niji

Shounen Onmiyouji if fantasy and magic are your thing. Hard to say more without spoiling. The end is somewhat surprising. To me one of the best anime ever, high production values, endearing friendship.
Old 2009-08-07, 09:27   Link #10
Fate21
Kiyu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
El Cazador de la Bruja - powerful, endearing friendship between the two female protagonists
But, I saw that as a romance more than a friendship.
Old 2009-08-07, 12:05   Link #11
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

there is always K-on and azumanga daioh
Old 2009-08-07, 12:22   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
n'thing K-On! and Aria.

Aria is worth watching for many, many, many reasons.
Old 2009-08-07, 14:08   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You could also give Hidamari Sketch a try if you're not put off by Shinbo. It's episodic, so you can just sample an episode or two. If you like the SHAFT style, it's on full display in episode five where they depict the main girl's dreams while she's feverish. Most of the show focuses on the friendships among the girls; the only male character is the school's principal.
Old 2009-08-07, 14:28   Link #14
Theowne
耳をすませば

Thanks for the suggestions. Everyone is reccomending different things so it's hard to pick a series, I think I'll try Ookiku Furikabutte and Rurouni Kenshin first and then move onto the others. I should probably have tried Rurouni Kenshin by now anyways, one of its OVAs seems to have a hold on the #1 spot on animenfo's top 200, I've always wondered why.

Quote:
I certainly didn't steer you wrong on Cross Game.
And indirectly led me to Touch, so a total of two series which have become absolute favourites of mine. Good record!

Old 2009-08-07, 14:34   Link #15
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Everyone is reccomending different things so it's hard to pick a series, I think I'll try Ookiku Furikabutte and Rurouni Kenshin first and then move onto the others. I should probably have tried Rurouni Kenshin by now anyways, one of its OVAs seems to have a hold on the #1 spot on animenfo's top 200, I've always wondered why.
Not to mention ANN's top spot as well . Still, I will tell you that the OVA is very different from the actual series - not that I didn't like it, it was one of the series that got me into watching anime, so I (along with quite a few others I'd imagine) have fond memories of it.
Old 2009-08-07, 14:59   Link #16
Theowne
耳をすませば

Very different in a "standalone story" kind of way?

Old 2009-08-07, 15:08   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Very different in a "standalone story" kind of way?
Very different in animation style and in that it's completely non-canon - Watsuki had no connection to it whatsoever. It's tends to be a bit love-hate with the RK community, but I guess I'm a moderate. They're beautiful to look at but I prefer the manga-ka's vision of the story and characters.

The series itself, mind you, is quite long and not perfect but to the extent that it stays loyal to the manga, it's excellent. I'd watch it right through to the end of the Kyoto arc (which is the best part) and then you can pretty much switch off the anime and start the manga at that point, because the anime jumps the shark.
Old 2009-08-07, 18:04   Link #18
HeiriiX

Send a message via MSN to HeiriiX
Fullmetal alchemist
Even though there brother but there alsoo bestfriends
its great seeing them together
Old 2009-08-07, 19:00   Link #19
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Noir, hands down. The animation isn't the best, but it stays consistent throughout the series and the leading ladies are developed very nicely. It's not extremely long, only 26 episodes, though some fans like to debate the exact nature of the friendship between Kirika and Mireille; but the fun of it is you can interpret it however you want.

As a warning, the series starts off a tad slow, but once it kicks in (around the second half of the series, about episode 12 or so) it's well worth the wait.
Old 2009-08-08, 09:16   Link #20
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Seconding Fullmetal Alchemist and the love between two brothers.

I recommend you watch the original anime version that has been completed rather than the currently airing series. If only because the early character development is much better in the first anime, and I think that is what you'll like most about the series.
Closed Thread