AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 36 36.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 27.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 22.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 12.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-12-04, 08:24   Link #61
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
  1. Because he doesn't know what can he cancel and what he can't?
This is the problem I have here, quite plainly his IB has managed to cancel out all forms magic and abilities. I don't see the need for him to be told every time to use it.
It's one of the consistencies of the series I've actually come to like from this series. His IB is said to cancel anything and so far it's done just that.
Even if Touma had some doubts which I would guess were pretty small anyway, he'd be jumping in stopping whatever anyway. This ep didn't portray that very well at all.

On another note I know why Touma is so pissed off at Oriana.
See Fukiyose promised Touma some "funtime" that night but because of the what happened to Fukiyose, Touma's got no fun to be had that night

Spoiler for NSFW:

Therefore he'll have Oriana step in for Fukiyose
Old 2010-12-04, 09:35   Link #62
Miraluka
Banned

*Looks at the pic*
*Looks at Touma's right hand*

It seems Touma gives his seal of approve
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 09:40   Link #63
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Well, he tried to cancel Tatemiya's sword in the Orsola arc, but it would've ended in a bloody mess if Index didn't tell him to stop. He's learned to be a bit careful, I guess?
Old 2010-12-04, 10:15   Link #64
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
See Fukiyose promised Touma some "funtime" that night but because of the what happened to Fukiyose, Touma's got no fun to be had that night

Spoiler for NSFW:

Touma approves! Now lets leave those two alone while they get busy.
Old 2010-12-04, 10:31   Link #65
tsunade666

Quote:

Spoiler for NSFW:

Looks like everyone approves that we should leave those two alone for the time being.

The hesitation might come from he doesn't know if the Imagine Breaker could be more harmful on the effects or not. It's not the same with Aisa that the enemy just said Die. And Touma is still the type that would just charge in without experience on what might happen. At least his starting to be aware of the magic stuff and it's effects.
Old 2010-12-04, 11:12   Link #66
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I pretty much laughed my head off when Blondy wiped his muddy hand all over the ID thingamabob.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 11:29   Link #67
klare

actually if they guessed the poles are suspicious, can they save time by getting Touma to touch all the poles instead of checking them one by one?

there are many illogical actions too, but nvm

slightly better than the previous eps that filled with fan-service
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 12:03   Link #68
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
actually if they guessed the poles are suspicious, can they save time by getting Touma to touch all the poles instead of checking them one by one?
It's not the pole that's harmful -- it's the Shorthand flashcard stuck to the pole. Touching the pole with Imagine Breaker wouldn't accomplish anything (you need to touch the flashcard itself), and there are lots and lots of people there delaying access to some poles for them to investigate all of them in a timely manner.
Old 2010-12-04, 12:17   Link #69
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
He doesn't know how to explain magic to her (remember this is AC and Mikoto's no magician to know that), and he doesn't even understand himself how would one being struck by that spell be like
But he could have said in one sentence not to touch the pole that it's dangerous. She knew something fishy was going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Most of them can be charted down as just 'it's a show' but for these two i can answer.
Yes, which is why I enjoyed it. Every episode has stuff which I can question but this one just had so many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
For the basket poles, refer to this scene:
Ohhh... good catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Funniest part of the episode was Touma's astonishment that Oriana found out he was following her. Hell, he might as well have been giving her a piggyback. He needs to brush on them detective skills better and less on those flowery soap box speeches...
That is 100% truth. Not to mention it's common sense not to follow too closely to someone. It's funny how the biggest mistake characters make are following to closely.

Quote:
Still, her curiosity on Touma's power doesn't exactly give her any "rights" to keep persuading him to face her in a fight... other than that I just don't feel there was any reason at all
Well, the reason is this: "Tsuuunn."

Quote:
This is the problem I have here, quite plainly his IB has managed to cancel out all forms magic and abilities. I don't see the need for him to be told every time to use it.
It's one of the consistencies of the series I've actually come to like from this series. His IB is said to cancel anything and so far it's done just that.
Even if Touma had some doubts which I would guess were pretty small anyway, he'd be jumping in stopping whatever anyway. This ep didn't portray that very well at all.
Exactly!! How many times has he used the Imagine Breaker!? He was told every time to use it. Did those magic feathers blow away his common sense too?

Quote:

Spoiler for NSFW:

Yes... thumbs up indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Touma approves! Now lets leave those two alone while they get busy. I watch.
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
It's not the pole that's harmful -- it's the Shorthand flashcard stuck to the pole. Touching the pole with Imagine Breaker wouldn't accomplish anything (you need to touch the flashcard itself), and there are lots and lots of people there delaying access to some poles for them to investigate all of them in a timely manner.
Not to mention the pole is tall. The card could have been stuck anywhere on it. Thanks to Mr. Machina it was in hands reach.
Old 2010-12-04, 12:45   Link #70
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
But he could have said in one sentence not to touch the pole that it's dangerous. She knew something fishy was going on.
He could probably say it straight but that would lead to unnecessary questioning and stuff and Touma doesn't want to answer such question leading the current affairs. he just wants Mikoto to not touch the pole but it's also a problem on Touma's side he focus much on the pole that he didn't manage to think of a way to clearly say what he wants to say thus resulting into misunderstanding.

Quote:
Yes, which is why I enjoyed it. Every episode has stuff which I can question but this one just had so many.
They cut lots of stuff and explaining on this episode. They just keep the core story itself so the story can go on. But index leads a lot of explanation

Quote:
That is 100% truth. Not to mention it's common sense not to follow too closely to someone. It's funny how the biggest mistake characters make are following to closely.
Touma is an amateur on this things. He prefer to bust in than to follow silently so it's not entirely his fault. Plus Oriana is a professional on escaping and if she's professional on it. It's easy for him to tell if someone is following her. But really Touma sucks on tailing someone. He didn't even hide or pretend not following her at all. His so close to the target and his hostile to it. It's like saying. hello I'm following you so don't mind me.

Quote:
Exactly!! How many times has he used the Imagine Breaker!? He was told every time to use it. Did those magic feathers blow away his common sense too?
He is in a state of shock and probably didn't know what to do because he gets an innocent civilian into the mess. it's like when your in a mission and you ended up letting someone get hurt. And Touma again is not pro on this stuff. So his probably not prepared on such events to happen. Plus his been using Imagine breaker on lots of stuff but mostly on things he intended to use it on. Like the enemy and such curse but he got back up which is Index to tell him what to do. Now he didn't. So his not sure on things but Tsuchimikado gives him a heads up.
Old 2010-12-04, 12:59   Link #71
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Go on. Let the fujoshi in you take your mind and imagine more ways how will Motoharu "dirty" Touma.
Oh, it's even better in the light novel:

Spoiler for volume 9 worst counter:

I'm seriously considering TsuchimikadoxTouma as a pairing to ship now.

Quote:
He doesn't know what he can cancel and what he can't cancel SAFELY. Like others have said, what if the counterspell turned a person into an existance like Kazakiri, where cancelling the spell would also cancel their existance? He has no knowledge of magic and needs to rely on a professional's advice in case he messes something up. And in Fukiyose's case, he was partially shocked at what happened until Tsuchimikado snapped him out of it.
Old 2010-12-04, 13:22   Link #72
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
I'm seriously considering TsuchimikadoxTouma as a pairing to ship now.
Welcome to the dark side. We have 90% of all fandom. And, oh lookie at what I found!

Spoiler for Muddy Boys!:

Now, If my computer would only work and let me watch the episode
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 13:31   Link #73
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Hmm, the animation was spotty this ep, especially Tsuchimikado, he looked like Hiruma from Eyeshield for a while. However, the scenes where Touma erased Oriana's magic looked rather good. And the music was great.

Also, Stiyl using Touma as a ascapegoat was much funnier than I though it would be, despite the fact that it was a serious scene there. Misaka's blushing was amazing, I didn't know humans could get to that shad e of red.

Overall, good episode, a 9/10.
I knew a girl who would turn purple when blushing. Once I embarrassed her so badly she turned black.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 13:37   Link #74
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I love how Stiyl always gives Touma the meatshield treatment and his remarks in doing so...
Old 2010-12-04, 13:42   Link #75
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
He doesn't know what he can cancel and what he can't cancel SAFELY. Like others have said, what if the counterspell turned a person into an existance like Kazakiri, where cancelling the spell would also cancel their existance? He has no knowledge of magic and needs to rely on a professional's advice in case he messes something up. And in Fukiyose's case, he was partially shocked at what happened until Tsuchimikado snapped him out of it.
Yea I get that could be some of the doubt he could have but fact is that never really stopped him before from jumping into the firepits of hell.
Plus a counterspell that alters a persons existence I would think would be considered some serious magic. I would have guessed Stiyl or Tsuchi would have known about this and given Touma a heads up before hand.
Fact is, the deal with Fukiyose was the same as with Stiyl which he already knows about, I wouldn't think there was much to think about other than run on over and slap his right palm on her breast but Ok in this case I'll let it go and put it down as "he was shocked at seeing it".

I understand both sides of the argument I mean it happens in pretty much all mediums of entertainment.
Like the "slow falling poles" could have probably been avoided but we needed that for Biribiri to have her moment in the ep(which I won't complain about simply cause we got some blushing Biribiri) but still that cliche is something to complain about.
Hell even Touma and Biribiri's over-dramatic scene after that was well over-dramatic but once again I can't really complain

Well I just put this down to some poor writing from the shows writers but I would have liked to give Touma some credit, just unfortunately can't really do so.
Old 2010-12-04, 13:46   Link #76
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I knew a girl who would turn purple when blushing. Once I embarrassed her so badly she turned black.
... what.

Quote:
Why would you guys even consider Saten? This is Tokiwadai Middle School
>_> I didn't even know Saten goes to a different school... I have poor comprehension sometimes, so yeah. I don't even know what the hell's going on in Index half the time, I generally understand things on a scene-by-scene basis but the main plot and villain motivations of any arc are usually fuzzy to me. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 13:55   Link #77
outerelf

Well, I finally have managed to watch this episode, and I'd have to say that it wasn't half-bad. There was a good Mikoto/Touma scene, a good Fukiyose scene, Tsuchimikado was pretty cool looking, and knew lots, poor Touma was confused as always.

Personally, I'd say that they ought to start sending Touma to a magicians school just so that way he can pick up on stuff faster. (Not that it seems to do much good because of how many different magics there are)
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 13:56   Link #78
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
He is in a state of shock and probably didn't know what to do because he gets an innocent civilian into the mess. it's like when your in a mission and you ended up letting someone get hurt. And Touma again is not pro on this stuff. So his probably not prepared on such events to happen. Plus his been using Imagine breaker on lots of stuff but mostly on things he intended to use it on. Like the enemy and such curse but he got back up which is Index to tell him what to do. Now he didn't. So his not sure on things but Tsuchimikado gives him a heads up.
I think Touma has been in enough dire situations where he should be used to this. I was a lifeguard and all it took was one event to get you into it, two at most. Touma has had many more.
Old 2010-12-04, 14:22   Link #79
HandofFate

why is it again that ESPers can't use magic?

But anyone that isn't an ESPer can use magic right? Since magic was a way for ordinary people to gain abilities on the level of people with abilities?
Old 2010-12-04, 14:32   Link #80
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
Welcome to the dark side. We have 90% of all fandom. And, oh lookie at what I found!

Spoiler for Muddy Boys!:

Now, If my computer would only work and let me watch the episode
I was already in the dark side for a long, long time. Did you forget my constant praise for your BL fanfic? I just never looked at TsuchimikadoxTouma as a possible ship before now, lol. Also, thank you for that picture. -saves-

Quote:
why is it again that ESPers can't use magic?

But anyone that isn't an ESPer can use magic right? Since magic was a way for ordinary people to gain abilities on the level of people with abilities?
ESPers actually can use magic but their AIM fields would violently reject it. This includes Level 0s as well, even though they don't have powers, as demonstrated by Tsuchimikado. Anyone who isn't an ESPer can use magic normally like Komoe-sensei at the beginning of Index. However, take note of this conversation:

Spoiler for volume 1 the 7th-egde.: