AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2012-04-04, 15:19   Link #4261
Endless Eight
デレバン

Send a message via AIM to Endless Eight
Volume 16 is already out in Japan, so I was wondering: what are your thoughts on how the artist draws Sasaki? That is, if you've seen it.
Endless Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 20:21   Link #4262
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Yen Press has just licensed The Misfortune of Kyon & Koizumi, a collection of short stories drawn by various mangaka. It was originally released on December 26, 2009 by Kadokawa.

While I am extremely happy to see this collection licensed, it brings some sad news from me. I was planning to translate this, and the other three collections by Kadokawa since they seemed highly unlikely to be licensed. Now... not quite sure they won't be licensed anymore.

Edit: 10th novel licensed.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-04-07 at 20:54.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 03:13   Link #4263
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Eight View Post
Volume 16 is already out in Japan, so I was wondering: what are your thoughts on how the artist draws Sasaki? That is, if you've seen it.
Holy crap, what the hell. Volume 16? I haven't kept up with the Haruhi news since reading the initial reviews of Volume 10 back in May... wow, it's wonderful to hear that Haruhi has seen such a resurgence. I'm amazed, honestly... here's to hoping that this gives KyoAni that extra push to stop farting around with the series and adapt it at something faster than a snail's pace. There's more than enough material for a third, or even a fourth, season at this point.

Edit: Wait, I thought this meant the 16th Light Novel rather than the manga. Never mind.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 11:23   Link #4264
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Hachette Book Group's database is listing a release date of September 4 for the first 7 novels in e-book format. The 7th novel is listed on Amazon in Kindle format for a June 1 release, but this is the first listing for all novels in e-book format. The release of novel 8, Indignation, will also have a simultaneous e-book release as well.

Old 2012-05-08, 19:07   Link #4265
VitaX

So how are the novels in English format? Are the translations pretty good? And is hardback the way to go? The paperback covers seem odd compared to the original art on the Japanese ones.
VitaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 21:32   Link #4266
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaX View Post
So how are the novels in English format? Are the translations pretty good? And is hardback the way to go? The paperback covers seem odd compared to the original art on the Japanese ones.
I think they've been translated very well. My biggest complaint is the lack of honorifics to appeal to a more general audience. Personally, I like to see honorifics in written format since you can't "hear" them like in anime and drama CDs, but I understand why they were left out. Everything else is a rather good translation of the original Japanese. I highly recommend them.

The hardcover art uses the original illustration by Itou, but to appeal to Western fans, they re-designed covers for the paperback versions to match the other "young adult" books they're supposed to be organized with. The cover art and binding is literally the only difference between the two. The pages inside are exactly the same. It's just a matter of preference on binding and cover art for your choice.

Old 2012-05-08, 23:28   Link #4267
VitaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I think they've been translated very well. My biggest complaint is the lack of honorifics to appeal to a more general audience. Personally, I like to see honorifics in written format since you can't "hear" them like in anime and drama CDs, but I understand why they were left out. Everything else is a rather good translation of the original Japanese. I highly recommend them.

The hardcover art uses the original illustration by Itou, but to appeal to Western fans, they re-designed covers for the paperback versions to match the other "young adult" books they're supposed to be organized with. The cover art and binding is literally the only difference between the two. The pages inside are exactly the same. It's just a matter of preference on binding and cover art for your choice.
Alright thanks for that information. Guess I'll go with the hardcover's then. I also heard that they changed some names around such as Data Integration Thought Entity into Data Overmind and Organization into Agency. Are there any other noticeable differences in names within the novels?
VitaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 08:03   Link #4268
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaX View Post
Alright thanks for that information. Guess I'll go with the hardcover's then. I also heard that they changed some names around such as Data Integration Thought Entity into Data Overmind and Organization into Agency. Are there any other noticeable differences in names within the novels?
I believe those are the only big differences, though I'm pretty sure they kept "The Organization."

In other news, a new article released today mentioned that the amount of Haruhi Suzumiya novels printed rose to 8.5 million copies. That gives each volume an average of 772,727 copies printed. With only the first novel having a million printed, that's a good number of people who bought each novel.

Yen Press has solicited the 14th volume of the manga to be released on December 11. The 6th Eng. volume of Haruhi-chan will be released on the same day as Indignation, November 20.

Old 2012-05-10, 22:25   Link #4269
ijuinkun

Is the 8.5 million for Japanese language editions only, or for all editions worldwide?
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 22:54   Link #4270
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Is the 8.5 million for Japanese language editions only, or for all editions worldwide?
The 8.5 million copies printed is solely counting the 11 Japanese light novels. It does not count any of the manga, supplementary books, or international editions.

Old 2012-05-11, 22:14   Link #4271
ijuinkun

In that case, 8.5 million copies is not bad for a language that has about 140 million native speakers.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 15:29   Link #4272
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Cover art for Indignation:

Old 2012-05-16, 13:59   Link #4273
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

you can never go wrong with Yuki
Old 2012-06-13, 06:40   Link #4274
whx_epic

Hi everyone I am new here.
Sorry if this has been asked, but is there any news regarding haruhi theatre act 3?
I have read act 1 and act 2, and I wonder whether act 3 has been published or translated.
Thanks in advance!
whx_epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 06:52   Link #4275
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by whx_epic View Post
Hi everyone I am new here.
Sorry if this has been asked, but is there any news regarding haruhi theatre act 3?
I have read act 1 and act 2, and I wonder whether act 3 has been published or translated.
Thanks in advance!
Nothing has been stated regarding the third Haruhi theatre story. The magazine that they were published in stopped publication last year, so it would be published in a collection of stories or via a digital distribution format. Regardless, nothing's been stated regarding that story.

Old 2012-06-13, 07:16   Link #4276
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
A real shame, too. While largely unrelated(except for a reference or two in SMS), they were two of the most fun stories Tanigawa has written for the series. Ah well, I guess he just can't think of what to do after Cowboy Land...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 09:04   Link #4277
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

A bit late noticing this, but Kadokawa's Sneaker twitter has confirmed something I've been saying for a while back in April.
Quote:
Originally Posted by translation
@yuto811 We have no publication plans right now, but the series will continue! Please take this waiting time at your leisure.
The other party was asking when the new novel would be published.

Old 2012-06-13, 11:24   Link #4278
DakkerDB

Either way, it's nice to get some reassurance. I'll faithfully wait however many years (hopefully not too many) I have to!
DakkerDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 17:01   Link #4279
Neko Arc Brunestud

Like the various episode lists; What is the cronological order the novels should be read in?

(Or perhaps a link to the proper post, since I haven't had much luck finding one...)
Neko Arc Brunestud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 19:25   Link #4280
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko Arc Brunestud View Post
Like the various episode lists; What is the cronological order the novels should be read in?

(Or perhaps a link to the proper post, since I haven't had much luck finding one...)
Like the anime, there are alternative ways to read the stories since the short stories were published in The Sneaker prior to being collected in a volume. Here's the chronological order:
  1. Rainy Day
  2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  3. The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
  4. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
  5. Mysterique Sign
  6. Lone Island Syndrome
  7. Endless Eight
  8. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya
  9. The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina: Episode 00
  10. Live a Live
  11. The Day of Sagitarius
  12. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
  13. Love at First Sight
  14. Snow Mountain Syndrome
  15. Where did the Cat go?
  16. The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya (prologue)
  17. The Melancholy of Mikuru Asahina
  18. The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya (main story)
  19. Editor-in-Chief:Straight Ahead!
  20. Wandering Shadow
  21. The Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya
  22. The Astonishment of Haruhi Suzumiya

Here is the order the stories were published in either The Sneaker or in a novel:
  1. The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
  2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  3. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
  4. Mysterique Sign
  5. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya
  6. Endless Eight
  7. Lone Island Syndrome
  8. The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00
  9. The Day of Sagittarius
  10. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
  11. Love at First Sight
  12. Snow Mountain Syndrome
  13. Live a Live
  14. The Melancholy of Mikuru Asahina
  15. Where Did the Cat Go?
  16. Editor in Chief; Straight Ahead!
  17. The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya
  18. Wandering Shadow
  19. The Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya
  20. The Astonishment of Haruhi Suzumiya (First Part)/(Final Part)
  21. Rainy Day

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga