AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-07, 04:26   Link #21
Dop
Mmmm....

I really liked this, and it's pretty much everything I'd been hoping it would be. The cringingly awkward scene in the restaurant was just superbly done and I really felt for those kids being embarrassed by their parents so much.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 08:35   Link #22
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Does "the moon's beautiful" have some special meaning? I've heard it used a LOT, and sometimes it seems like the person saying it is trying to get a certain message across.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 08:46   Link #23
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Does "the moon's beautiful" have some special meaning? I've heard it used a LOT, and sometimes it seems like the person saying it is trying to get a certain message across.
I wonder if there's any link with how this show looks. The colours are all very bright and desaturated, as if everything was immersed in, well, moonlight.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 09:04   Link #24
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
It's a poetic way to say "I love you" (note that one of the protagonists is into literature so is probably aware of the phrase)

http://lang-8.com/209586/journals/1465774

Quote:
When translating some Japanese phrases to English, he had a trouble with it because there is a wide difference of culture between Japanese and American. For example, Japanese people in old days never used sweet words (current Japanese either) such as "I love you." and so on. So, when he translated "I love you" to Japanese, he recommended that it be said that "月がきれいですね (means that the moon tonight is beautiful, isn't it?). Can you understand why he translate it in this way? In his opinion, when you are with a women you love and said "the moon is beautiful, isn't it?" to her, it is as valuable as saying "I love you." and must convey the meaning behind it because a girl must find out what it means in the situation. I'm sure that it wouldn't work well if I said that "The moon tonight is beautiful, isn't it?" instead of "I love you." However, his sensitive feeling making a translate in that way represents with what kinds of feeling people in old days lived. I'm envious of their sensitive feelings because I don't have such beautiful feeling in my heart at all.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 09:35   Link #25
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

See LINE involved in this anime remind me with certain chat game i once played in my APP.
I forgot the name but it's about you befriended certain girl from your classmate in LINE-like application then you get fall in love to her.
CGI is annoying, i hate that white flashy in their face but i looking forward for this anime.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 10:02   Link #26
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
It's a poetic way to say "I love you" (note that one of the protagonists is into literature so is probably aware of the phrase)

Oh, interesting. Makes me think of how there were a lot of references to the Moon in the romantic scenes of "The Great Passage" two seasons ago, reinforced in that case by the fact that the love interest was called Kaguya, like the Moon goddess.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 10:16   Link #27
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I really liked this, and it's pretty much everything I'd been hoping it would be. The cringingly awkward scene in the restaurant was just superbly done and I really felt for those kids being embarrassed by their parents so much.
That's pretty much where I am. I loved the whole episode, and that scene was especially superb.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 11:07   Link #28
Utsuro no Hako

This is like getting a 14-sai no Koi anime without all the creepy subplots.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 11:32   Link #29
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post

Thought so. As I said, I've heard the phrase used a lot in romantic situations where it seemed to carry more meaning than just the literal. There was even one where a guy said that line to a girl and the girl pointed out that the moon wasn't out, at which I believe he said something about that not being what he meant or stumbling over himself at the situation.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 15:08   Link #30
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

Include me on board with those who really liked this premier ep - almost everything about it "clicked" for me, and it came across as carefully crafted. Quite nice!

Sold - am adding this one to my "to follow" list. Perhaps the best premier of any new series this season for me....
Old 2017-04-07, 15:13   Link #31
kuromitsu

Quote:
Thought so. As I said, I've heard the phrase used a lot in romantic situations where it seemed to carry more meaning than just the literal. There was even one where a guy said that line to a girl and the girl pointed out that the moon wasn't out, at which I believe he said something about that not being what he meant or stumbling over himself at the situation.
To be fair it's a huge, huge cliché by now, and I think most of its value comes from the story behind it (ie. culture differences, one language's direct way of expressing emotions doesn't work in another, etc.) and from being parodied, subverted and generally used as trivia/reference.

One of the best subversions I've seen recently was in a cute fan story where a character, being somewhat tsundere, decides to climb a mountain so he can say "the moon is beautiful" to the other with plausible deniability (should the other say no he can just say he's talking about the actual moon as seen from the mountain). So he climbs the mountain, calls the other guy and, after some emotional lead-up, tells him that the moon is so beautiful. The other doesn't get it, and says too bad he can't see the moon from where he is. And while the other is facepalming in the distance he continues, "but no matter how beautiful it is, it can't be more beautiful than you". So one goes all the way to make an extremely roundabout and awkward confession of love, which is completely lost on the other who just goes and states his feelings directly.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 16:38   Link #32
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That was good. The scenes that were supposed to be cringy and awkward were and the show made that work for it .

I wouldn't say it blew me out of the water, but it was a good start. Should be interesting to follow along.
Old 2017-04-07, 17:54   Link #33
Itlandm
Porcupine

"Boring" may be too strong a word, but it is good to have some time on your hand and be settled for a quiet pace before watching this. It reminds me of a poem: Beautiful but with little action, and it leaves you with as many questions as answers.

The product placement of this LINE thing, however, is so prominent that I wonder if it is a sponsored production. It seems unnecessarily elaborate and high-end to be primarily and advertisement, but still. The recurring mention of a product you almost never see elsewhere makes me wonder how this will influence the story in the future.

I hope these kids are less tongue-tied online than offline, though, or I don't see much character development in one season.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 21:37   Link #34
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm
...It reminds me of a poem: Beautiful but with little action, and it leaves you with as many questions as answers....
Well said sir, well said.
Old 2017-04-07, 23:11   Link #35
Psyco Diver

This was nice, I think I will enjoy this
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-08, 02:20   Link #36
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Something about it grabbed me, though I can't say exactly what. Very cute. I'm intrigued and looking forward to seeing more.
Old 2017-04-08, 03:05   Link #37
Tenzen12

To be honest, I don't get it. I am not saying it's bad, but it just flew over me. There is boy and girl. They do nothing because they are too introverted.

And that is it? I feel like I missed some important it has or supposed have.
Old 2017-04-09, 01:56   Link #38
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
I didn't hate it, but, these types of awkward romances rarely resonate with me. I'll watch another episode to see how it goes.
Old 2017-04-09, 01:59   Link #39
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

LINE is a huge social networking set up in Japan. Wouldn't be surprised by the product placement. Heard of them when a couple of radio shows I listen to use LINE for people to see videos of them broadcasting and whatever else.

Show isn't slow for me. And lol that whole bookstore visit was the gist of the plot.

Last edited by pagan poor; 2017-04-09 at 09:11.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 05:39   Link #40
Arya

mmm, yeah, I concur that there some careful craft behind it, the general feeling I had was "lovable". I particularly liked the scenery full of details. Still I also didn't get drown into it. While the scenery is lovable, the characters didn't stand out from said scenery, but got lost within it instead. The closer analogy for me is not poem but landscape, a beautiful landscape, that as beautiful and detailed as it maybe / is it's still a landscape.

On aside note I can relate very well with the awkwardness and shyness portrayed along the whole episode, in my case it never got past that, at least in middle school. Not sure I'm interested in seeing it again.
In any case I will give it another episode to see if the characters become more definite.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime original, romance, school life, shoujo, slice of life, studio feel