AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-06-03, 08:35   Link #481
ramlaen

Are the results for the Pennsylvania primary what you would have expected?
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-03, 10:16   Link #482
Key Board
Carbon

I didn't expect Steve King to lose the Iowa primary.
He shares many of the same beliefs as Trump.

//
Old 2020-06-03, 16:21   Link #483
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

He didn't lose the Iowa primary, he lost the primary in his congressional district in Iowa, the same one where he almost lost in 2018. He's embarrassed them nationally once too often, that's all.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-03, 16:29   Link #484
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

If they were going to get rid of him because he embarrassed them they would have done it long ago.

More likely the fact that he lost a lot of his influence in D.C. is what got him the boot.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-03, 16:49   Link #485
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
First, Pennsylvania still has thousands of mail ballots left to count. Governor Wolf extended the deadline for counting until next week. Only ballots postmarked through yesterday will qualify.

But what results are you talking about exactly? Biden is ahead by a factor of some 4:1 over Sanders.

Or are you talking about the fact that Trump won more votes than Biden? Given the partisan difference in concern about the coronavirus I don't find that too surprising, especially since Republican voters are in more rural areas of the state while the Democrats are in the big metros, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Nor do I think that result says much about the November election in Pennsylvania. I see the state flipping back to the Democrats in 2020. Biden has led in every PA poll taken this year save one, and one other that was tied.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...861.html#polls

PA Governor Tom Wolf won re-election in 2018 by seventeen points.

Flipping Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Arizona would be enough to secure the Democrats a victory in the Electoral College.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-03, 19:15   Link #486
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

(((Harry Enten)))
@ForecasterEnten
·
1h
State polls from Fox and Q-Pac have Biden doing on average 9 points than Clinton. Monmouth has Biden doing 9 points better than Clinton nationally.
Old 2020-06-03, 20:19   Link #487
Ithekro
Gamilas Rises

From past experience, a lot of people don't like Clinton. So that's a net positive for Biden just doing a comparison.
Old 2020-06-03, 20:31   Link #488
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
From past experience, a lot of people don't like Clinton. So that's a net positive for Biden just doing a comparison.
She still beat Trump by 2+ points nationally. Biden doesn't need to beat her numbers by anything remotely close to 9 points.
Old 2020-06-03, 20:45   Link #489
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I really dont know where else to post this, but here it goes:
Trump Admin Finalizes Rule That Could Protect Foreign Dark Money in Elections

And here I was thinking that citzens united was horrible, well this new rule is the doorway for foreign elite donors to have a say in the American political system.

Of course, this rule was past quietly while the country burns. We are in the middle of a great depression, a pandamec and mass protests/riots nation wide. It is just the icing of the cake we needed.

The only silverlining in all of this, is that most likely Trump will no be releected, he is hated almost as much as Bush was back in 2007, even a broom stick running for president has a good chance against him.
Old 2020-06-03, 20:55   Link #490
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

He'll never surrender power voluntarily. He'll either declare the results null and void over "fraud" or cancel the election preemptively if the polls keep tanking. That's the playbook he's using, well-worn from use by the totalitarian rulers he openly admires so much.
Old 2020-06-03, 23:05   Link #491
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Bush made one mistake in my eyes, and that was the Iraq invasion. The 2008 crash would have happened anyway. Trump,on the other hand, is surrounded by a cult willing to die on his hill and is the very definition of karma houdini. Every bad he said and did have not bitten him. Also, he have a total disregard for public opinion if its not favorable to him. Even someone like Nixon would have resigned. But not him. And he is likely counting on his base and his disgusting luck to get reelected.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-03, 23:13   Link #492
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Bush made one mistake in my eyes, and that was the Iraq invasion.
I'm sure the folks in New Orleans would have some thoughts on that.
Old 2020-06-04, 08:49   Link #493
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Even someone like Nixon would have resigned.
Nixon resigned when Republican Senators like Barry Goldwater told him he would be convicted by the Senate. Rather than face such disgrace, Nixon chose to leave his office.

I don't think Nixon ever thought his actions were worthy of impeachment. Remember that, years later, he told David Frost that, "when the President does it, that means it is not illegal."

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

BTW, I recommend watching Frost/Nixon if you've never done so with a stunning performance by Frank Langella as Nixon. As someone in the Youtube comments suggests, it should be considered the end of a Nixon trilogy with "The Post" and the exceptional "All the Presidents' Men."

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2020-06-05, 11:29   Link #494
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
First, Pennsylvania still has thousands of mail ballots left to count.
My friend and former colleague Charles Stewart has been tracking the number of ballots by primary for Pennsylvania. He reports that, "Even w/o the surge in mail votes & extended counting deadlines, PA in recent yrs has tended to have a big 'blue shift' as the counting proceeds."

Sure enough, his graphs show that about 970,000 Democratic ballots have now been counted compared to 770,000 on Wednesday. Republicans saw less growth, from 900,000 to 930,000. As a result the Democratic share of total ballots rose from 46% on Wednesday to 51% today.

This is not surprising since Pennsylvania's Republicans live in less-populated areas where vote counting is easier. Most of the Democratic vote is in the big metro areas, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
Old 2020-06-05, 19:13   Link #495
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That effect is going to pose a major problem if the election is remotely close. Trump will declare victory with massive amounts of votes uncounted and when the mail ballots and urban areas come in, scream "voter fraud". That's a tactic they've been using more and more in preparation for 2020.
Old Yesterday, 03:24   Link #496
Key Board
Carbon

I hope the democratic party realizes that the upcoming election will not be a clean sports match.
I hope they’re willing to fight for it instead of adhering to “when they go low we go high”

//
Old Yesterday, 03:54   Link #497
Ithekro
Gamilas Rises

Well the election is in five months. We will see who good American memory retention is.