AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass 2 - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 2 6.90%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 20.69%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 24.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 20.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 6.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 6.90%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 6.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 3.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-11-15, 11:02   Link #61
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
You guys are really amazing, worrying about the "crappy plot points" instead of whether Akane is going to even be ok next episode. Keep talking it's obvious nothing i say is going to matter.
And what makes you think the main character won't be fine next episode? There's no reason to believe anything will happen to her by the end of the season, let alone barely half way through the season.
GDB is offline  
Old 2014-11-15, 11:57   Link #62
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_Overs View Post
Regarding the weapons. Recall the conversation between Kasei and Akane. Kasei clearly doesn't believe in the existence of Kamui. Naturally, she wouldn't even let Akane use any of those countermeasures to begin with. To Sibyl, Kamui doesn't exist. Unless Akane can provide indisputable prove, Sibyl is not budging on that matter.
That was three episodes ago, when the existence of Kamui was still merely a theory of Akane. There have been numerous incidents since then where people mentioned Kamui, proving he exists.

Quote:
I don't think you get the implications of an inspector having free will to fire paralyzer. Hypothetically, if an inspector goes rogue and start shooting indiscriminately at the populace. Think for a moment what kind of damage it can cause. And that would only happen if their hue isn't clouded because they have "permission"
That's... Do you think the police forces in our world shouldn't be given any weapons either, because there's a risk they might suddenly start attacking random people? That's basically what you're saying, and it sounds preposterous.

I'll still entertain you. First, it wouldn't kill anybody, which is a lot more than you can say compared to what's happening right now. Secondly, Sibyl could remotely disable the dominator as soon they realize something's wrong. They're monitoring their agents and are supposed to be in perfect control, aren't they? This is an acceptable risk when the other option is to let a terrorist go free.

And it's not like they'd be granted that right permanently. It would only be used when a situation calls for special measures. Sibyl would still be the one to judge whether it's necessary. They have brains (a lot more than one), they should be able to notice when their system isn't working and they need to bend the rules a bit to ensure its safety.

I'm open to other options. This is merely the best one I could think of, maybe others have better ideas how they can stop Kamui without compromising the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
You guys are really amazing, worrying about the "crappy plot points" instead of whether Akane is going to even be ok next episode. Keep talking it's obvious nothing i say is going to matter.
What makes you think she isn't going to be ok? They episode didn't end on a cliffhanger, and her hue was still clear as the blue sky last time Togane checked.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline  
Old 2014-11-15, 12:43   Link #63
Five_Overs
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
No one except Akane believed in the existence of Kamui. Not Ginoza, not mika, not kasei. Isn't this the whole point of the operation? To capture Kamui and prove his existence?

Um, if an inspector is given that much power, only other inspectors will be able to subdue him/her. So, if they're taken care of, only enforcers are left, who cannot do anything to a clear hue. The same apply to civillians. If panic rises, lethal eliminator is also not out of the question. That leaves only Sibyl. The problem is, as far as people are concerned Sibyl is but a computer, and since a human is already given the freedom to shoot as he/she wish, computers won't be so flexible as to recognize it as a violation. After all, the inspector is just following instructions: "shoot at your own discretion". The reason why this freedom was given is because Sibyl can't recognize exceptions. And since only inspectors can make the call on who are the exceptions, who is Sibyl to decide whether the inspector's actions are wrong?

That's why the inspectors and society will never accept this exception to the usage of dominators, since they don't know that Sibyl is a bunch of human brains that can actually see through the eyes of a human and think through the mind of one.

In other words, there's no way sibyl can give such freedom to those who doesn't know of its true identity. Which leaves us with Akane, who failed to convince kasei that Kamui exists. In fact, the thought that Sibyl could make such exceptions will only occur to those who know of the truth. After all, to the people, Sibyl is a computer with fixed rules. How is a computer able to adjust to accomodate Kamui, when he's not even detectable?

And even if somehow Kasei believes her and Akane gets permission, she can only use it outside the eyes of other inspectors and enforcers, which is near impossible.

And all of this is under the assumption that such "permissions" won't cloud the hue of inspectors to begin with. Inspectors won't be willing shoot if it does. Enforcers can't be given any other weapon because they're latent criminals. The positions of inspector and enforcer will be reversed.
__________________

Last edited by Five_Overs; 2014-11-15 at 13:24.
Five_Overs is offline  
Old 2014-11-15, 13:53   Link #64
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_Overs View Post
No one except Akane believed in the existence of Kamui. Not Ginoza, not mika, not kasei. Isn't this the whole point of the operation? To capture Kamui and prove his existence?
At least three different people have mentioned the name Kamui, and there have been numerous incidents related to him. It's reasonable to assume he exists. Mika is a blind sheep so it's no wonder she comes up with idiotic theories like "shared delusions", but Gino and Kasei should believe in his existence by now.

Quote:
Um, if an inspector is given that much power, only other inspectors will be able to subdue him/her. So, if they're taken care of, only enforcers are left, who cannot do anything to a clear hue. The same apply to civillians. If panic rises, lethal eliminator is also not out of the question. That leaves only Sibyl. The problem is, as far as people are concerned Sibyl is but a computer, and since a human is already given the freedom to shoot as he/she wish, computers won't be so flexible as to recognize it as a violation. After all, the inspector is just following instructions: "shoot at your own discretion". The reason why this freedom was given is because Sibyl can't recognize exceptions. And since only inspectors can make the call on who are the exceptions, who is Sibyl to decide whether the inspector's actions are wrong?
The pros heavily outweigh the cons. On one hand, you have the infinitesimally low possibility an inspector is going to randomly start shooting civilians. On the other, you have the definite possibility Kamui is going to cause more deaths and the high probability panic will arise if such incidents keep repeating themselves. It's obvious this situation is calling for "extreme" measures.

Sibyl is supposed to be a computer, and a computer is only a tool. The population believes there are actual people behind it running the system, or else they would have never accepted to basically be entirely subjugated to the rule of machines. Sibyl is supposed to be a tool in the service of the people, not their machine overlords. Machines can malfunction, it's reasonable to assume most people believe there are humans able to pull the plug if something goes wrong. It's actually one of the reasons they use inspectors and enforcers instead of drones. Makes it look like regular humans are still in charge. At the end of the day, there are sill politicians, police chiefs, and whatnot in charge. Or so they think.

There's no problem with telling inspectors the restrictions on their dominators were lifted by Chief Kasei or whoever is supposed to be above her to accommodate the increased threat level Kamui represents.

Quote:
That's why the inspectors and society will never accept this exception to the usage of dominators, since they don't know that Sibyl is a bunch of human brains that can actually see through the eyes of a human and think through the mind of one.
Society doesn't need to know. And inspectors who have been on the job long enough should know there are times dominators fail. Again, see season 1.

Now I ask you, how do you suggest they deal with Kamui with the way things currently are?
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline  
Old 2014-11-15, 17:57   Link #65
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under...
@Kanon, you are not thinking about things from Sibyl's point of view. From our point of view, yes, Sibyl's decision not to change anything is insane. But to them, the losses until this episode (2 inspectors and one enforcer; plus some latent criminals) were acceptable, compared to the price of letting other inspectors and enforcers doubt the system. The losses from previous operations have similarly been acceptable. That's the risk calculation that those brains have made collectively. We can think it's dumb...but we are not Sibyl.

The question after this episode is: is the loss of two more inspectors and five more enforcers one more inspector and three more enforcers still acceptable for Sibyl? Will they change their policy after this bloodbath? Perhaps it's acceptable now, unless they've got a few more inspector teams we haven't seen...

edit: oops, mistake realised after looking at the official website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightworld View Post
Anyone else thinking that's something odd with the collected dominator,kamui only got 7. 5 unused one kamui,one shisui. but if we think all in the division 3 is dead,then it's missing one right?
-2 inspector
-4 enforcer
-kaeda hasuike
-shisui original dominator
Death count in the MWPSB for this episode was one inspector and three enforcers (two from the 3rd division, and one from the 1st (a 2nd division enforcer; one of the other 3rd division enforcers that Kamui shot wasn't killed, just stunned)). The inspector was killed by a drone, and the stunned enforcer was on the other side of a fence, so I think Kamui didn't pick up those dominators.

In sum:

The count of 5 dominators with Kamui and Shisui is correct (Shisui's, Aoyanagi's, and one each from the three enforcers they killed).

And after this episode, MWPSB is left with the 1st division with two inspectors and five enforcers (one from 2nd division), and the 3rd division with one inspector and three enforcers (one from 2nd division) for a total of 3 inspectors and 8 enforcers.
__________________

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.


"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


Last edited by karice67; 2014-11-16 at 09:41.
karice67 is offline  
Old 2014-11-15, 19:41   Link #66
Algent
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Beyond the Horizon
Age: 30
I wonder if the reason why Kamui doesn't register isn't much simpler actually. After all there is only one type of thing that can be scanned.

The show clearly insist on "Holos", but also showed us body parts stored by Kamui.
This make me think Kamui is either using a remote controlled body or he is himself a robot/bioroid.

This would be more believable than him doing real time instantaneous hacking of any scanner aimed at him (He can't hack Sybil so it has to be the scanner).
The writers could also pull out some "advanced anti-scanner holo" bullshit but I'd like to avoid thinking about that .
Algent is offline  
Old 2014-11-15, 19:54   Link #67
Five_Overs
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
@ Kanon

When I said Kamui, I also mean a person that can avoid detection by the sybil system. And think back to all the events that occured. There is absolutely no proof at all being presented to the characters. Only Akane have reason to believe he exists. Let's look back at all the events.

First incident, Shisui shot an enforcer and went missing. Incident two, captured latent criminal turns clear. A person turning clear is a completely acceptable outcome and not necessarily associated with kamui. Third, scribbling appears in Akane's room. Her sanity was questioned. Fourth, a clinical center was locked from within, when opened half-naked people with clouded psycho pass rushes out. No one lived to tell the tale. So, if you're anyone but Akane, do you have reason to believe Kamui exists?

Unless there's any indication at all that they've changed their minds, everyone except Akane disapproves of the theory that someone who can avoid sibyl's detection exists.



Your understanding of how the sibyl system works aside, what you're proposing Sibyl to do is bend the entire system just so that they can defend against the irregularities that happen rarely. You're asking them to create a problem to solve another problem (or a problem that sibyl doesn't even recognize). You're asking them to risk having inspectors and civillians question the absoluteness of the system just so that they can prevent incidents that MIGHT cause questions to be raised. Not every inspector have dealt with irregularities like makishima shogo and thus know about them.

Isn't all of this counter-productive? Anyway, it's okay if you disagree. You may be of the opinion that the pros outweigh the cons. However, there's also enough cons for Sibyl to justify what they're doing, which is the reason we've started this discussion.




Lastly, I seriously doubt people would accept Sybil if there are anybody at all operating it. I wouldn't want to entrust my entire life to a group of people even if they're voted through democracy. Remember, Sybil is the equivalent to the end it all of the magistrate. They're the prosecutor, the judge and the executioner. No group of people should be allowed access to that much power. The only reason Sibyl is accepted is because it's assumed to be all computer, no brain.
__________________

Last edited by Five_Overs; 2014-11-15 at 20:41.
Five_Overs is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 00:52   Link #68
Crontica
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: My Desk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And what makes you think the main character won't be fine next episode? There's no reason to believe anything will happen to her by the end of the season, let alone barely half way through the season.
Oh i donno maybe LOSING HER MIND.
__________________
Crontica is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 05:32   Link #69
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 39
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
You guys are really amazing, worrying about the "crappy plot points" instead of whether Akane is going to even be ok next episode. Keep talking it's obvious nothing i say is going to matter.
Just speaking personally here...

I like Akane, but I really don't like Sibyl. And Akane chose to stand by Sibyl while knowing just how vile they really are.

That doesn't mean I'm rooting against Akane, but it does mean that I'm a bit divided when it comes to emotional investment. Psycho-Pass gives me a good degree of emotional distance, and more intellectual/philosophical consideration, since I'm not passionately behind either side of the main conflicts in this show.

Normally I'd consider a lack of emotional investment to be a bad thing when watching an anime, but in this case, I think it might be a good thing, since it focuses me more on the interesting ideas raised by this show, unencumbered by any character preferences.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 06:09   Link #70
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 35
I dunno, I kinda think it's courageous to still be an inspector even now that she knows what she does. And a dang good one too.
Dengar is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 06:41   Link #71
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
@Kanon, you are not thinking about things from Sibyl's point of view. From our point of view, yes, Sibyl's decision not to change anything is insane. But to them, the losses until this episode (2 inspectors and one enforcer; plus some latent criminals) were acceptable, compared to the price of letting other inspectors and enforcers doubt the system. The losses from previous operations have similarly been acceptable. That's the risk calculation that those brains have made collectively. We can think it's dumb...but we are not Sibyl.

The question after this episode is: is the loss of two more inspectors and five more enforcers one more inspector and three more enforcers still acceptable for Sibyl? Will they change their policy after this bloodbath? Perhaps it's acceptable now, unless they've got a few more inspector teams we haven't seen...

edit: oops, mistake realised after looking at the official website.
We'll see what happens next week.

What I'm really afraid of right now is that Sibyl is just going to sit on its ass and the writers are going to bring Kogami back to be used as plot device to solve their problems for them again. If that happens, I'm going to be seriously pissed because nothing would have been accomplished the entire season.

It doesn't help that the movie synopsis killed any suspense this season might have had. We already know that
Spoiler:


What's the point of this second season if nothing changes? It's basically a repeat of season 1 so far. You have a guy who can't be properly recognized by Sibyl as a threat trying to take down the whole system, and the only reason he's a threat at all is because Sibyl does nothing. If there had been no precedent, I would understand their failure to react, but there's the whole first season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_Overs View Post
@ Kanon

When I said Kamui, I also mean a person that can avoid detection by the sybil system. And think back to all the events that occured. There is absolutely no proof at all being presented to the characters. Only Akane have reason to believe he exists. Let's look back at all the events.

First incident, Shisui shot an enforcer and went missing. Incident two, captured latent criminal turns clear. A person turning clear is a completely acceptable outcome and not necessarily associated with kamui. Third, scribbling appears in Akane's room. Her sanity was questioned. Fourth, a clinical center was locked from within, when opened half-naked people with clouded psycho pass rushes out. No one lived to tell the tale. So, if you're anyone but Akane, do you have reason to believe Kamui exists?

Unless there's any indication at all that they've changed their minds, everyone except Akane disapproves of the theory that someone who can avoid sibyl's detection exists.
Fair enough. Let's talk about Akane then. She firmly believes Kamui exists and she wants to take him in. What is her plan to bring him in? She has none. Isn't that a problem in itself? What exactly was she hoping for at the end of the episode?

Quote:
Your understanding of how the sibyl system works aside, what you're proposing Sibyl to do is bend the entire system just so that they can defend against the irregularities that happen rarely. You're asking them to create a problem to solve another problem (or a problem that sibyl doesn't even recognize). You're asking them to risk having inspectors and civillians question the absoluteness of the system just so that they can prevent incidents that MIGHT cause questions to be raised. Not every inspector have dealt with irregularities like makishima shogo and thus know about them.

Isn't all of this counter-productive? Anyway, it's okay if you disagree. You may be of the opinion that the pros outweigh the cons. However, there's also enough cons for Sibyl to justify what they're doing, which is the reason we've started this discussion.
Rarely? That's the second time it happens in less than two years. There have been massive riots and people getting slaughtered in S1, and it's now happening again. People started questioning the absoluteness of the system a long time ago, and these recent incidents are most definitely not helping.

That's what you guys don't seem to take into account.


Quote:
Lastly, I seriously doubt people would accept Sybil if there are anybody at all operating it. I wouldn't want to entrust my entire life to a group of people even if they're voted through democracy. Remember, Sybil is the equivalent to the end it all of the magistrate. They're the prosecutor, the judge and the executioner. No group of people should be allowed access to that much power. The only reason Sibyl is accepted is because it's assumed to be all computer, no brain.
As you said yourself, Sibyl is just a computer. It can't think (I don't recall it being mentioned it's an AI). All it does is provide extremely accurate and objective numbers. That's one of the reason people trust it. The other is that there are people maintaining it, helping make sure there are no bugs, or that nobody is hacking it.

And there is obviously still a government since we know there are politicians. Politicians are most definitely supposed to hold some sort of power.

There's also the public safety bureau, which is entirely run by humans. Inspectors write reports, there are computer analysts like Shion, Kasei (actually Sibyl, but nobody knows that) gives orders, etc... Sibyl is the prosecutor, judge and executioner, and humans are its overseer. They're there to make sure everything works correctly.

That's my understanding of the system as perceived by a regular citizen. People most definitely believe humans are still in charge and don't suspect they're being completely ruled by Sibyl.

And of we assume people believe it's an AI, then there's no problem with what I suggested. It should be able to take decision and tell when an inspector isn't acting normally.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki

Last edited by Kanon; 2014-11-16 at 07:16.
Kanon is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 08:05   Link #72
Five_Overs
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Fair enough. Let's talk about Akane then. She firmly believes Kamui exists and she wants to take him in. What is her plan to bring him in? She has none. Isn't that a problem in itself? What exactly was she hoping for at the end of the episode?
And again you're looking at all of this from the point of view of a viewer. There's no way Akane could have anticipated any of the happenings in that industrial area. She could not have known that Kamui convinced shisui to join his cause, she could not have known that Kamui have an eye implanted and could use a dominator, she could not have known that a bunch of killer droids would be hacked and used against them. What she anticipated was a single villain with conventional weapons with an entire group of inspectors and enforcers on his tail. So, what makes you think akane could not apprehend Kamui in the scenario she anticipated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Rarely? That's the second time it happens in less than two years. There have been massive riots and people getting slaughtered in S1, and it's now happening again. People started questioning the absoluteness of the system a long time ago, and these recent incidents are most definitely not helping.

That's what you guys don't seem to take into account.
It's not what we don't take into account, it's what you don't take into account. Yes, I mean it when I said these are irregularities, but they are only irregularities when seen from the eyes of people and inspectors. Not to Sibyl. Count the number of brains they have. That's the number of times they've dealt with such cases, and within the system they've created no less. No need to go to all that trouble to bend backwards. Once they've confirmed their existence, they act and they welcome the irregular into themselves.

Sibyl have been doing this for ages since its inception, and its clearly working. The problem you proposed is simply not a problem to sibyl. Now, kamui is the true irregular, since Sibyl never dealt with people like him before. You can't create counter measures against problems you don't recognize. Those "incidences" only seem common because as a writer, its their job to pinpoint to those times of interest. Not bore you of the regular goings of that world. To the people in sibyl japan, these incidences is how we view wars in other countries. Do those wars affect you in any way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
As you said yourself, Sibyl is just a computer. It can't think (I don't recall it being mentioned it's an AI). All it does is provide extremely accurate and objective numbers. That's one of the reason people trust it. The other is that there are people maintaining it, helping make sure there are no bugs, or that nobody is hacking it.
It's also an Ai that can make decisions. I see no reason it will fail to be self sustaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
And there is obviously still a government since we know there are politicians. Politicians are most definitely supposed to hold some sort of power.
So the government is left with only the judicial part now. Who's going to run the executive and legislative? Who's to govern health care or transport or communication or the other countless sections of the government?

Sibyl isn't the end it all of the whole government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
And of we assume people believe it's an AI, then there's no problem with what I suggested. It should be able to take decision and tell when an inspector isn't acting normally.
Because a computer and by extension an ai can only act based on what they detect? They cannot interpret a crime scene by observing the actions of the criminal and victim. That's why it relies on reading psycho passes. Similarly, they can't interpret inspectors as going against their instructions by observing their actions. They can, however know that an inspector is breaking the rules by reading their psycho passes or carrying a dominator outside of their duties. But since freedom have been given to choose who is a target of judgement, Sibyl have no say in what's wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What's the point of this second season if nothing changes? It's basically a repeat of season 1 so far. You have a guy who can't be properly recognized by Sibyl as a threat trying to take down the whole system, and the only reason he's a threat at all is because Sibyl does nothing. If there had been no precedent, I would understand their failure to react, but there's the whole first season.
You're thinking about this backwards. Psycho pass is a crime investigation story. And the only way an organized crime can occur in their world is with irregularities like kamui. So, how do you propose they proceed with the story? Make it a slice of life series?

Kamui's and Makishima's methods, motives and objectives are all different. Makishima's goal is simply to destroy sibyl for his own pleasure (if memory serves right) , Kamui's goal is to better understand how sibyl works and judge sibyl for what it is. (What I think is his goal).
__________________

Last edited by Five_Overs; 2014-11-16 at 12:44.
Five_Overs is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 11:34   Link #73
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It doesn't help that the movie synopsis killed any suspense this season might have had. We already know that
Spoiler:


What's the point of this second season if nothing changes? It's basically a repeat of season 1 so far. You have a guy who can't be properly recognized by Sibyl as a threat trying to take down the whole system, and the only reason he's a threat at all is because Sibyl does nothing. If there had been no precedent, I would understand their failure to react, but there's the whole first season.

Rarely? That's the second time it happens in less than two years. There have been massive riots and people getting slaughtered in S1, and it's now happening again. People started questioning the absoluteness of the system a long time ago, and these recent incidents are most definitely not helping.

That's what you guys don't seem to take into account.
Not that I intend to discuss specific narrative choices, even because I understand where you are coming from. It's just to give you a different angle from which see the whole Sybil system. It's an analogy that doesn't have to fit perfectly, but I think you can get the gist of what I mean.

You are saying that two times in a less than two year span of time would be enough to make the system changes or adapt.
Let's take the actual aviation system. Recently a major Asian airline suffered two close accidents that caused hundreds of casualties. Still that said airline is still operating not it did change anything major in the way it works. Why is that? That's because the aviation system under normal circumstances works pretty fine and nobody would ever think to come back traveling by ships

That's similar to what Sybil system is, it works just fine, the number of crimes is so low that nobody would ever think to go back to a less controlled system. Accidents happen. Just hope it won't happen to me. From a normal view the system is solid.
So I'm not surprised to know what you said in the spoiler tag. It seems the natural evolution of this kind of system. Like aviation, internet and like everything that involves some personal benefit over society's.
And its efficiency is proven by how affected people are. Also the inspectors are. That's a basic assumption we should keep in mind. Its efficiency let people trust the system and ultimately shape their lives around it.
Also its efficiency works on a more subtle layer. On people fears. In a sense Sybil system is like applying domestic violence over its people.
Spoiler for Shingatsu comparisons, just in case:
So people behavior is even braked by this dynamic in which Sybil should be intended to do the goods for them, so when it doesn't people don't address it correctly. (As Arima).

So, just to say all considered that thinking to remove Sybil is closer as asking to remove aviation system than just a generic control system.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 12:15   Link #74
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
Oh i donno maybe LOSING HER MIND.
Where has she shown any signs of losing her mind? She's the most level headed character in the series, and the only one aside from Saiga who is able to comprehend the situation at hand.
GDB is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 16:01   Link #75
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Main character's are the last ones I would ever worry about. Not to mention that there still is a sequel as a movie.


I have to say that this was the best episode of the season so far. Hopefully they'll keep it up.

Mika is still annoying, at least she caught herself on thinking twisted things.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 16:05   Link #76
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
What the hell is happening with Psycho Pass this season? Usually I don't notice inconsistencies in writing in these kinds of anime but damn this episode, and the entire season, has been glaring with problems. Why do all the enforcers suddenly have 300+ crime coefficients??? Why didn't that one guy just tell everyone that you can combat the drones by making them face each other? Why did the entire Police Force just focus on deactiviting a game rather than hacking into everyone's accounts and traumatize everyone? Why is Mika such a 42vefddsf?

It's just. . . why?
__________________
Traveler on Revenge / Ahelo Sigs / Saimoe Report! Signature by ganbaru
ahelo is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 19:48   Link #77
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I can actually see the logic the show is trying to give its characters in the world and culture they're in.

But I dislike the method of how they're delivering it, and I just see it as shock value every episode to forcefully give it a sense of high stakes. And it just comes out as empty and frustrating.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 20:19   Link #78
Five_Overs
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Rewatched a few of the episodes in season 1 and so happen to stumble across this. In episode 18, Ginoza outright stated that Sibyl is guaranteed to be independent and free from influence by any organization.
__________________
Five_Overs is offline  
Old 2014-11-16, 21:27   Link #79
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
What the hell is happening with Psycho Pass this season? Usually I don't notice inconsistencies in writing in these kinds of anime but damn this episode, and the entire season, has been glaring with problems. Why do all the enforcers suddenly have 300+ crime coefficients??? Why didn't that one guy just tell everyone that you can combat the drones by making them face each other? Why did the entire Police Force just focus on deactiviting a game rather than hacking into everyone's accounts and traumatize everyone? Why is Mika such a 42vefddsf?

It's just. . . why?
Let me answer all your questions...
(1) Looks fine to me.
(2) Uh, people getting killed... trauma rising... does that make sense? Remember, CC goes up even as long as you've seen trauma (and were probably panicking), and I don't think this is any different from those guys.
(3) Actually, if you think about the time-table, there was just enough time for that guy to view the situation and then brainstorm the solution. Remember that those functions are quite .... advanced, so I doubt anyone will be able to easily recognize those functions. Not to mention all the other guys got... decimated, plus there was already confusion all throughout the area and people were already getting killed.
(4) "Because that's the quickest solution." is what they would say. If you're talking about a high security app coming from the cloud server, shutting it down will take a while... a while long enough to get everyone killed. If you just went by and disable the entire internet... it doesn't work that way too (you'd need to actually get permission from the ISP and stuff, and by the way, they don't know the situation exists in the first place. In fact you might not know that removing ISP might also deter their communications network) Disabling cell range is like saying you'll disable all Nokia 3310s in this present age. Who knows if they are actually using satellites instead, and disabling that will take a lot of permission and work?

tldr doing ANYTHING ELSE takes more time.
(5) Poor Mika; she can't get a grip on "not following the manual". In fact her childhood incident was one of those...
ronelm2000 is offline  
Old 2014-11-17, 00:21   Link #80
thundrakkon
Anime-Only Viewer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
I see there are still people complaining about the old man in episode 4 beating up people. What have we found out this episode about some of Kamui's people? The government official was not the real government official. We see body parts in the hideout. The old man could have had body parts replaced, or it could even have been someone else younger made to look like the old man.
__________________
<img src=http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=4341&pictureid=57813 border=0 alt= />
thundrakkon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.