3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-09-23, 18:37   Link #161
FrejaOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Don't you think you're exaggerating the scope a little? There's not that much going on.

There's the succession thingy, and there's the witch. That's about it.
True, it doesn't seem like much but consider the progress made by the characters. 25 episodes and the witch is barely introduced, the royal selection has barely started. Partially it's because of Subaru's ability which makes the plot go back and forth while lingering at key points and partially (I believe) because of the detail-heavy storytelling style.
FrejaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 20:20   Link #162
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Beetlejuice is not even husbando material.
B-b-but he waa diligent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalGoddess View Post
Did I miss the announcement of this being a 104 ep anime or something?
We got only those 25 eps, we even got a super trolly "That's All This Story Is" in the last frame of the last ep.
Sure as hell if the first Harry Potter movie ended with a subtitle saying "bye guys this story is over" with absolutely no news of the sequel I'd be pissed.

Either do a proper full length adaptation or give this an original ending--with closure.
All the episode titles are either based off either the WN or LN chapters titles and episode 25 is no different. That is name of the last chapter of Arc 3 before the epliogue and the story is ongoing despite that. So the title names are meangless in this context and does not support your point.

This was standard full length adaptation, but was never intended to finish the story. Just resolve enough for an ending whole leaving things open for sequel. It's a lot better then doing an anime original end which are usually terrible anyway then having to force major recons just for a S2.

EDIT: That said CR could the title a little better.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-09-23 at 20:35.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 04:13   Link #163
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
True, it doesn't seem like much but consider the progress made by the characters. 25 episodes and the witch is barely introduced, the royal selection has barely started. Partially it's because of Subaru's ability which makes the plot go back and forth while lingering at key points and partially (I believe) because of the detail-heavy storytelling style.
Idk about 'detail heavy'. A lot of actual things happened. It's not like they spent entire episodes singing irrelevant songs.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 11:53   Link #164
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Did I miss the announcement of this being a 104 ep anime or something?
We got only those 25 eps, we even got a super trolly "That's All This Story Is" in the last frame of the last ep.
Sure as hell if the first Harry Potter movie ended with a subtitle saying "bye guys this story is over" with absolutely no news of the sequel I'd be pissed.

Either do a proper full length adaptation or give this an original ending--with closure.
That's All This Story Is and That's All The Story There Is mean two very different things.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 15:03   Link #165
FrejaOne

Quote:
Idk about 'detail heavy'. A lot of actual things happened. It's not like they spent entire episodes singing irrelevant songs.
Yes but a lot of those things don't really matter on the grand scale of things.
Did we need to spend so much time on Wilhelm's backstory, for example? He's a good character, but he isn't like Rem who is an important ally so she needs some development (though, considering the Emilia ending, all the semi-romantic stuff with Rem also seems odd).

Did we need a long scene of Subaru learning to cut vegetables?
Did we need Otto's character development just for his one minute scene in the latest episode?
Did we need so much Felt interaction in the beginning when she turned out to be an utterly unimportant character who does not deal with Subaru at all?

We get very little important info but get a lot of unimportant info instead while lingering on stuff that often provides only a shallow impact on the overall plot.

Like, why did it matter that Subaru went crazy after the first encounter with the Sloth dude when he stopped being crazy soon after? Why waste a whole episode on his slow descent into madness when five minutes later this madness doesn't matter anymore? Speaking of the Sloth guy, his mannerisms also take up so much more screentime than they are worth, since he's a one trick pony.

Do we really need Emilia's interaction with the people from the village? The show has already established that she is hated, in more elegant and subtle ways too, right from the first episode. We (as the audience) are not stupid, we don't need to be bashed on the head with this concept. We get it.

So yes, they aren't sitting around chewing on their fingers while listening to their brains tremble (not all of them, at least), but at the end of the day a lot of things could be cut out without affecting the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
This was standard full length adaptation, but was never intended to finish the story. Just resolve enough for an ending whole leaving things open for sequel. It's a lot better then doing an anime original end which are usually terrible anyway then having to force major recons just for a S2.

EDIT: That said CR could the title a little better.
Is there a S2? As far as I know, there was even some kind of ad saying "look for the sequel in the novels" or something similar.

I think I simply won't watch such adaptations anymore, that is, I'm going to check whether a new anime is an adaptation of some long unfinished source. Every time I watch stuff like that I end up frustrated and annoyed with the open ending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
That's All This Story Is and That's All The Story There Is mean two very different things.
Still neither of them means "sorry guys now you have to either wait for years or learn Japanese to find out what was actually the deal with Subaru".
FrejaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 17:26   Link #166
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
*snip*

I think I simply won't watch such adaptations anymore, that is, I'm going to check whether a new anime is an adaptation of some long unfinished source. Every time I watch stuff like that I end up frustrated and annoyed with the open ending.
Yeah, please do your research first instead of getting frustrated and complaining about the obvious things. Like seriously, complaining that a (fairly faithful) anime adaptation of an on-going/unfinished novel not having a satisfying closure for all the plot points is like complaining about water being wet. You act like this is a new trend when this style of open-ending adaptation has been going on in the 90s since the era of the acclaimed Arslan Senki (or probably even earlier) simply because the novel it came from was not over yet. That's just the nature of this kind of adaptation. I mean, looks like most audience other than you know what they sign up for before watching this Re:Zero anime, so there's no "complaining the obvious" from them like you did.
Old 2016-09-24, 18:34   Link #167
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Yes but a lot of those things don't really matter on the grand scale of things.
1.Did we need to spend so much time on Wilhelm's backstory, for example? He's a good character, but he isn't like Rem who is an important ally so she needs some development (though, considering the Emilia ending, all the semi-romantic stuff with Rem also seems odd).

2.Did we need a long scene of Subaru learning to cut vegetables?

3.Did we need Otto's character development just for his one minute scene in the latest episode?

4.Did we need so much Felt interaction in the beginning when she turned out to be an utterly unimportant character who does not deal with Subaru at all?

5.We get very little important info but get a lot of unimportant info instead while lingering on stuff that often provides only a shallow impact on the overall plot.

6.Like, why did it matter that Subaru went crazy after the first encounter with the Sloth dude when he stopped being crazy soon after? Why waste a whole episode on his slow descent into madness when five minutes later this madness doesn't matter anymore? Speaking of the Sloth guy, his mannerisms also take up so much more screentime than they are worth, since he's a one trick pony.

7.Do we really need Emilia's interaction with the people from the village? The show has already established that she is hated, in more elegant and subtle ways too, right from the first episode. We (as the audience) are not stupid, we don't need to be bashed on the head with this concept. We get it.

1. So much time at Wilhem's backstory? We only had short flashbacks explaining his motivations. Of course we need it! He was a key figure in the battle against the whale and the Witch Cult. I would love to know more about his background. Maybe if they do a manga version of his spin-off Novel i will get the chance to see it..lol. Just because the guy is not a possible romantic interest for Subaru, does not mean he should be discarded and not explored at all!

2. Although not as exciting to see, transition episodes are fundamental for the story. Plus, it was a good way to show us a glimpse of the support characters living in the Roswaal's mansion. It was the slice of life part of the show so to speak. Not my favorite part either but it needed to be there.

3. What Otto's char development? He had nothing of such! He just transported Subaru when he needed. He might be explored later on tho.

4. It's obvious she will be a key char later in the story. Plus, she was important regarding the whole insignia situation that lead to the encounter with Elsa and the first demonstration of Subaru's Return by Death ability. The first arc was a nice introduction to the story in my opinion.

5. It serves the purpose to give small hints to be explored later. Given the way the narrative is told to the audience with Subaru's ability, each loop gives us something new compared to the previous one. Being it new lore details, politics, introducing and developing new characters, epic action, messed up cliffhangers, mysteries being solve and the arise of new ones, whatever... It all matters!

6. Doesn't matter? He was in shock and then saw the woman who constantly saves him being tortured in front of him. He snapped out of it with only rage driving him forward. That was fundamental to his growing as a character and as to why he acted so desperate and angry when asking for help in the following episodes. I mean, episode 18 only had impact because of everything Subaru went through!

7. So, the villagers should stop showing their hate towards Emilia because the audience already knows they hate her? Then, Rem should also stop showing affection towards Subaru, since we are not dumb and know she loves the guy!

Really, what you want, would be an entire new plot rearranged in 25 episodes with Re:Zero's main theme and not an adaptation of the actual story that is still ongoing. I also would not mind that actually. I love time loop stories so i would welcome them. Based on the information i read in other websites, i estimate we would need around 150 episodes (probably a few more) to get all things answered and explored. I'm amazed how people actually though we would have a finished product after the anime was over.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 03:08   Link #168
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You think it's strange that Wilhelm gets as much screentime as Rem did despite the fact that both of them serve an identical role?

Also, 150? Well of course I can't properly predict anything since I can't look into the future but unless all sorts of new things happen that haven't been foreshadowed it could get away with 75 probably.
Old 2016-09-25, 07:10   Link #169
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Also, 150? Well of course I can't properly predict anything since I can't look into the future but unless all sorts of new things happen that haven't been foreshadowed it could get away with 75 probably.
They say the following arcs are bigger than the first three combined! So, only for arc 4 and 5 you would need 40+ episodes. Together with the 25 we already have, you would get around 70. The author said his story would require 10 or 11 arcs in total and depending on how big they are, it could indeed reach the 150 episode mark.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 07:34   Link #170
larethian

Rounding up the series:
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-26, 01:23   Link #171
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
They say the following arcs are bigger than the first three combined! So, only for arc 4 and 5 you would need 40+ episodes. Together with the 25 we already have, you would get around 70. The author said his story would require 10 or 11 arcs in total and depending on how big they are, it could indeed reach the 150 episode mark.
So... I guess all sorts of new things happen that haven't been foreshadowed. But how was I supposed to know that? I'm not in the habit of spoiling myself.
Old 2016-09-26, 15:01   Link #172
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm really going to miss this show. This was the one anime throughout the entire season where I would have to put down anything that i was doing to just watch the next episode the minute it was available. It had it's flaws but they were mostly minor. Overall this was a fantastic show, mainly because of the characters and how well the story did to focus on them so much. Watching Subaru persevere throughout all his struggles was really uplifting and inspiring.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 22:54   Link #173
SvenCalBayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm really going to miss this show. This was the one anime throughout the entire season where I would have to put down anything that i was doing to just watch the next episode the minute it was available. It had it's flaws but they were mostly minor. Overall this was a fantastic show, mainly because of the characters and how well the story did to focus on them so much. Watching Subaru persevere throughout all his struggles was really uplifting and inspiring.
Same here.

The best anime show of the year so far for me.

... And you know what, the only reason I started watching this show, was because I saw a picture of Emilia. I've always had a thing for white haired characters, especially female... as long as they're not too young or too "chibi".
SvenCalBayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 04:37   Link #174
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The smile doesn't make it less appealing either.