AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-04-11, 16:05   Link #1
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Hey its Jackie Chan!

I'm a big time Jackie Chan fan and was curious to see if I'm not the only one on this forum who is slightly obsessed with the man. If you are a fan like me I'd love to hear what your favourite movie of his is & why etc.

My favourite JC movie of all time is wheels on meals. You will see why if you check out the link below.

WOM Kickass Fight Scene
Old 2012-04-11, 16:12   Link #2
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I recently rewatched the 2010 Karate Kid, coincidentally. He's definitely one of my favourite people in like...ever.

From back to his stunt double work with Bruce Lee, to his awesome documentary on his work, and all the way to the comedic and dramatic roles he can portray really well, I'd have to admit he's one of the more "realistic" actors out there. His roles feel genuine because he often directs and performs them himself (without protection or green screens, might I add).

So yeah, pretty damn badass.
Old 2012-04-11, 16:15   Link #3
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

he is finally directing/acting/stunting again for his next movie which completes his asian hawk trilogy named chinese zodiac, very very excited for this one. If you ever get the chance read his autobiography, his life especially as a youngster was fascinating. He just is a genuinely caring nice great exciting legendary man, I own pretty much every film he has made even the not so good movies.
Old 2012-04-11, 16:19   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

He's a great guy and all but he really needs to just stick to Hong Kong films instead of doing stupid kiddy films in Hollywood.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 16:24   Link #5
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
He's a great guy and all but he really needs to just stick to Hong Kong films instead of doing stupid kiddy films in Hollywood.
True I do appreciate his chinese movies more but then again his latest honk kong movie 1912 was a stinker sadly but Chinese Zodiac should be a Chan classic if he sticks to his winning quirky formula.
Old 2012-04-11, 16:26   Link #6
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I love all his kung fu films, especially Drunken Master. He and Sammo Hung are my two favourite martial arts master/actor. His kung fu steps are pretty comedic at times. I like the fact that he did most of his stunts on his own.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 16:32   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Big fan of Jackie but my fav would go to Sammo in Spooky Encounters but mostly due to added horror comedy.
I also prefer the Hong Kong films over the American but co productions were very decent. Jackie has come a long way and that alone is reason to respect him; he was the kind of guy who didn't fit in with the big boys then in the day and like Sammo decided to use comedy to create a status for himself and with that created a whole new genre.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 16:37   Link #8
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I agree with cutting out the kiddy films, but I wouldn't say to just do Hong Kong films. What about the likes of Rush Hour and Shanghai Noon? Those were amazing, but I wouldn't classify them as either kiddy nor asian.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 16:44   Link #9
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I've always had a soft spot for Legend of Drunken Master. However, to be fair, I haven't seen a lot of Jackie Chan's early works. So when I do, I may discover a new favorite.

One of the things I really love about his fights is that he still shows a human side. He gets tired, he gets hurt, etc. He does spectacular and amazing things, but he's not Superman.

Endless "hic" Soul
Old 2012-04-11, 16:49   Link #10
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I've always had a soft spot for Legend of Drunken Master. However, to be fair, I haven't seen a lot of Jackie Chan's early works. So when I do, I may discover a new favorite.

One of the things I really love about his fights is that he still shows a human side. He gets tired, he gets hurt, etc. He does spectacular and amazing things, but he's not Superman.

Endless "hic" Soul
the top 3 old jackie chan movies you check out are..

1- Wheels on meals
2- Police Story
3- Dragons Forever

A notable mention would go to the Project A movies he did, they are great Chan classics.
Old 2012-04-11, 18:12   Link #11
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I read his biography for a project when I was 12 years old, I've always respected him ever since. It was also an interesting look into the culture of the performing schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post
he is finally directing/acting/stunting again for his next movie which completes his asian hawk trilogy named chinese zodiac, very very excited for this one. If you ever get the chance read his autobiography, his life especially as a youngster was fascinating. He just is a genuinely caring nice great exciting legendary man, I own pretty much every film he has made even the not so good movies.
Yup, this is what made me really like him. It's a great read, so much that he went through/experienced.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 18:18   Link #12
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post
the top 3 old jackie chan movies you check out are..

1- Wheels on meals
2- Police Story
3- Dragons Forever

A notable mention would go to the Project A movies he did, they are great Chan classics.
Gotta include "Who Am I?" as well. It's got some the craziest stunts ever (once again, Jackie doesn't use trick photography or safety stuff like harnesses/nets), and it also had some insane fights. Really good stuff.

I should mention that James Rolfe (you'll know him better as the AVGN) shows off his top 10 Jackie Chan stunts and the top 10 fight scenes in two separate videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI1Aw...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1cHynIXweE

Also, here's the first part to one of my favourite documentaries of mine to watch about Jackie's work, called "My Stunts". The remaining parts can be found in the related videos.
Old 2012-04-11, 18:28   Link #13
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I agree with cutting out the kiddy films, but I wouldn't say to just do Hong Kong films. What about the likes of Rush Hour and Shanghai Noon? Those were amazing, but I wouldn't classify them as either kiddy nor asian.
I didn't really like Shanghai Noon. Rush Hour was definitely great but I don't have any confidence in Chan being in films as good as that one again. Especially not after watching Rush Hour 3.

Forgot to mention, but my favourite Jackie Chan film would have to be New Police Story.
Old 2012-04-11, 18:46   Link #14
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Gotta include "Who Am I?" as well. It's got some the craziest stunts ever (once again, Jackie doesn't use trick photography or safety stuff like harnesses/nets), and it also had some insane fights. Really good stuff.

I should mention that James Rolfe (you'll know him better as the AVGN) shows off his top 10 Jackie Chan stunts and the top 10 fight scenes in two separate videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI1Aw...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1cHynIXweE

Also, here's the first part to one of my favourite documentaries of mine to watch about Jackie's work, called "My Stunts". The remaining parts can be found in the related videos.
WOW seeing those videos is very nostalgic haven't watched them in years. I would recommend anyone to check out the top 10 stunts video its so good the best JC stunt in my opinion is a toss up between who am I's building fall or the project A clock tower fall. I have been to the building he falls down in who am I whilst city breaking in rotterdam just for that reason lol
Old 2012-04-11, 18:47   Link #15
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Decent actor, but needs to keep his mouth shut outside movies.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 18:54   Link #16
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
What? Why did you say that?

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 18:56   Link #17
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Mind specifying what you mean? I find him to be insanely bright and charismatic wherever he goes, so I can't see why you wouldn't want him to talk.
Old 2012-04-11, 18:57   Link #18
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Could be referring to the "Hong Kong is too free" thing. I don't really know what that's all about though.
Old 2012-04-11, 19:15   Link #19
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Mostly that. He openly stated his view that Hong Kong and Taiwan were too chaotic. Therefore he felt that Chinese had to be controlled. Needless to say many Chinese are not amused. It is especially controversial in HK where people see their cherished rule of law and personal freedom constantly under pressure from Mainland overlords.

But politics aside, his action movies are generally quite enjoyable.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 19:20   Link #20
iceyfw

Jackie Chan Strikes a Chinese Nerve. New York Times Article.
edit: seems like it requires an account login now. it did not before when i googled it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
“I’m gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled,” Mr. Chan said during the Boao Forum, the annual economic conference held on Hainan Island with a keynote speech by Prime Minister Wen Jiabao. “If we are not being controlled, we’ll just do what we want.”

The response was strongest in Hong Kong and Taiwan, which Mr. Chan, one of Asia’s wealthiest and best-known entertainers, held out as particularly “chaotic.” But even some intellectuals in mainland China spoke out against stereotyping Chinese as people who crave authoritarian leadership.
basically he says "Communism is good for China" and yes i took that out of context. i remember my uncle in particular was angry about this when the news came out.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote