AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-17, 08:35   Link #1241
Demel

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_passerby View Post
@Kaioshin_Sama:

Indeed the internet is a fickle thing, but I'd disagree with how win status can be permanently lost.

Anyway to get back on topic, I have a question regarding the existence of any plot or character related development in this series for those who've read the 4koma's. Well, is there?
Well, I've only read up till the end of the second volume, but there's not too much development in terms of character up till that point of time. What little development that does occur is

Spoiler for Characters:

What you do get to see however is how the current cast reacts to the yet-introduced members of Lucky Star (sometimes surprisingly different) and other assorted things, such as

Spoiler for More character relations:

Unfortunately character development is pretty much static in terms of any actual change, but you do get to see differing sides of the same character in the future. Sad to say, that's about as far as it goes, but I don't really recall any 4komas being drastically different from this anyway.

As for plot, there's no romance going on at all (no, not even hot yuri loli love) in the story, and the furthest mention is Konata teasing Kagami and saying she has a boyfriend while in various situations.

Then again, this is the anime. Who knows what might change?
Demel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 09:18   Link #1242
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Sorry if this already mentioned. I did the search but found nothing related.

Spoiler for ep2:

Edit:
Spoiler for ep2:
Now you realize. As a left-hander myself, I probably didn't find anything out of the ordinary, which was why I didn't bother to post about it, lol.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 09:53   Link #1243
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I know a left hander that use his right hand for almost everything else other than writing.
Old 2007-04-17, 10:26   Link #1244
cmage

I've been wondering about something. Lucky Star is a parody of moe, but in doing that, it practically becomes moe itself. What happens when people appreciate it merely as something with moe instead of finding humor in making fun of an excess of moe? I'm frankly getting a little scared of the fanboys and am wondering if I'll have to vacate from excess of moe.

Back to something that was talked about earlier. My favorite characters are Konata and Kagami. Konata has that otaku-ness about her that resonates with me, along with the gamer tendencies. I might not be one, but my brother's enough of one for me to appreciate the type. And I like Konata because she seems down to earth. I love how she acts during Miyuki's conversation with Tsukasa when she's sick. Beautiful.
cmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 10:35   Link #1245
Level E
みwiki

I disagree with the Character Development.
Ms. Someone, after X amount of years, learns she has classmates

And then there's the escalating(?) trial of poor poor Hikage-chan... Ganba!
Level E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 11:05   Link #1246
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmage View Post
I've been wondering about something. Lucky Star is a parody of moe, but in doing that, it practically becomes moe itself. What happens when people appreciate it merely as something with moe instead of finding humor in making fun of an excess of moe? I'm frankly getting a little scared of the fanboys and am wondering if I'll have to vacate from excess of moe.
i think most people here would notice the extra amount of moeness being put into the eps to push it into the latter opinion...and its just natural that there are bound to be fanboys about watching a series like this ~ it could even be an intentional trap that we are all falling into

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 11:05   Link #1247
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_passerby View Post

Pure WIN!

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Vibeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 11:18   Link #1248
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
I think a lot of people are doing the latter already. It's not as visibile as one might think and since a LOT of people can't or don't want to see past the top most layer of things (young teenagers mostly), they will not see that its making fun of Moe and will take it at face value. If you think the people here are engaging in Fanboy like behaviour, don't go anywhere else on the internet that talks about this series.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 11:32   Link #1249
Asrialys

It was bound to happen...

Hope it wasn't mentioned already...
Old 2007-04-17, 11:35   Link #1250
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
It was bound to happen...

Hope it wasn't mentioned already...
I've been waiting for one of those. Better than the one for HHY, IMO.
Old 2007-04-17, 11:40   Link #1251
Asrialys

I found the link from moetron's blog. There are other videos (including the Michael Jackson one), but they're mainly remixes of sorts.
Old 2007-04-17, 11:49   Link #1252
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
I've been waiting for one of those. Better than the one for HHY, IMO.
The Hare Hare Yukai one was absolutely required. It only fit at certain parts and the rest just barely fit. That and they started partway through and cut off before it ended. Still as I said absolutely required. You must attach Hare Hare Yukai to any video possible, for example I've seen a Hokuto No Ken one where it doesn't even make sense. That was part of the reason I got so tired of Haruhi when it aired. I couldn't find any opening video on the internet without half the time ending up on a Hare Hare Yukai song (unlabelled I might add) ending up playing over the real opening. In fact my first experience with the HnK opening was that. I was forced to hear that song so many times over last summer I know it off by heart and I don't even like it.

Besides Sailor Fuku is a much better song than Hare Hare Yukai I find because it has more passion, so it doesn't even bother me. Too much nasal on Aya Hirano during Hare Hare Yukai that she seems to have ditched completely as of late. Now its just Muuuuuuuuuuu!

Sailor Fuku Lolicon Edition for those who want to here the song another time. Obligatory Crossover with Concurrent Show (Sort of). Somebody thinks the opening is Touhou 9. How you confuse a video with a shooting game I'm not sure. Rock On with poor timing (And the other way around as this time its Lucky Star getting the song played over it). What the steps would actually look like (maybe).

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-17 at 12:03.
Old 2007-04-17, 12:03   Link #1253
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^ I really have no idea if what you said has any connection with the gundam dancing video the person you quoted from was talking about, lol. XD

In anycase, loved the gundam video. Most especially during the chorus, where's there's a whole bunch of them. Looks really nice, if I do say so myself, especially when all 16(?) mechas kicked in the air together.

My only criticism is that the main girls were representive differently from each other. They could've used different gundam models at least for each of the main characters, no?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 12:05   Link #1254
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Sailor Fuku Lolicon Edition for those who want to here the song another time. Obligatory Crossover with Concurrent Show (Sort of).
You're trying to kill me with that lolicon! *hides*

Now that you mentioned the million HHY parodies, I saw the Sailor Fuku with HHY on top of it. Couldn't stand to watch more than a few seconds of it.

Fortunately, Sailor Fuku hasn't gotten old yet, so I can watch that Gundam parody on repeat. It might not be that great of an OP for dance parodies, but there's enough movement that I'm entertained by the Gundams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
^ I really have no idea if what you said has any connection with the gundam dancing video the person you quoted from was talking about, lol. XD

In anycase, loved the gundam video. Most especially during the chorus, where's there's a whole bunch of them. Looks really nice, if I do say so myself.

My only criticism is that the main girls were representive differently from each other. They could've used different gundam models at least for each of the main characters, no?
Kaioshin lost me.

I really like when the main girls are dancing randomly and the shots for the supporting characters. I get such a kick out of the Gundam used for the pervert. And of course I like the cheerleaders. They move so well together!

double post

Last edited by monir; 2007-04-17 at 12:14. Reason: Double post merged. Please use the "edit" button instead of consecutive multiple posting.
Old 2007-04-17, 12:09   Link #1255
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Konata's Temptation.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-17, 12:14   Link #1256
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Negima parody of Lucky Star:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-17, 12:16   Link #1257
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

In anycase, loved the gundam video. Most especially during the chorus, where's there's a whole bunch of them. Looks really nice, if I do say so myself, especially when all 16(?) mechas kicked in the air together.

HHY One=Hare Hare Yukai one. Does anybody notice this? Normally Konata's hair goes down to about her knee, but in the cheerleading sequence in the opening its so long its practically touching the ground (Much hotter). Apparentely the GP-02A Physallis is representative of the night sky as well. There are other units in the opening such as a Dom and the Gundam, but I guess they chose to use the GM Command for all the girls. I don't know if it was just the closest thing he could fin to a school girl.
Old 2007-04-17, 12:19   Link #1258
cmage

Quote:
HHY One=Hare Hare Yukai one. Does anybody notice this? Normally Konata's hair goes down to about her knee, but in the cheerleading sequence in the opening its so long its practically touching the ground (Much hotter). Apparentely the GP-02A Physallis is representative of the night sky as well. There are other units in the opening such as a Dom and the Gundam, but I guess they chose to use the GM Command for all the girls. I don't know if it was just the closest thing he could fin to a school girl.
I figured they used the same model for the girls 'cause they're all in uniform. Maybe they ran out of models to use?
Old 2007-04-17, 12:21   Link #1259
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Never got that whole "Win" idea. If something wins doesn't that mean all other instances of that thing lose. If something wins that means there also needs to be a competition
Not nessecelery. You can have a win-win situation.
As for the second point, you’re walking down the street and you find a coin. It feels like you just won something. The fact that you didn’t even have to enter a competition is an extra bonus. When people talk about a win, I think they mean that feeling: something good happened without them having to work to get, they didn’t even have to go looking for it, it just happened like someone giving you a prize.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 12:22   Link #1260
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Never got that whole "Win" idea. If something wins doesn't that mean all other instances of that thing lose. If something wins that means there also needs to be a competition, but is there really a competition? Who lost then? Does that mean all the other things that won before with Lucky Star now lose? Hmmmmmm..... these thoughts have been brought to you by the confused philosopher. (That's me by the way).
An alternate, more specific permutation of the saying is to say that something is "made of win", which is what is implied by saying that something "is win". That is, to say, it has the properties which could potentially make it a winner. In what competition? Well, much like saying "For The Win", it is ambiguous, but it is an acceptable ambiguity, I think.

Like Vexx, I use it with a hint of irony, but the more common use of it doesn't bug me. It's much like saying something is "cool".

I personally like to say "made of win and candy."

On to the more relevant topic of character development in 4koma... who's to say it can't happen? It's certainly true that it doesn't TEND to happen, but it can. American comic strips have the same issues: Beetle Bailey hasn't really had character development, and many think it's stagnated. Then again, some comic strips DO have character development, but the risk is becoming too dramatic and turning into Funky Winkerbean, and nobody wants that. Garfield hit rock bottom in its decades without change, and now it's trying to change things slowly and subtly--which it used to do when it was still fresh.

In 4koma, slow and subtle character development seems to be the case in the best examples we have. Take, for example (you know what's coming), Azumanga Daioh. Subtle is definitely the key word there. We don't notice how the characters change so much as we notice the events that will change them and the changes in their relationships. Tomo is still Tomo and Osaka is still Osaka, but who's annoying who by the end? Chiyo is still cute child prodigy, but she goes from being the novelty to the heart of the group, supporting every one.

What of character development in Lucky Star? I don't know, since I haven't read very far in the manga. It doesn't seem to be setting itself up for the opportunity, but considering how much has yet to be shown, I think that could change.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen