AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-27, 01:27   Link #101
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
He said, "I knew with that haki he has, he wouldn't be a mere 30 million berry bounty..." Back then most readers shrugged off the word as a generic phrase for strong will, determination, etc. The word didn't come into spotlight until Shanks knocked out all those pirates on WB ship unconcious with his haki.
I still think determination (or strong will) is the better fit for that use. There is no doubt Blackbeard is aware of haki (he was with Whitebeard for a long time, not having heard of it, or not being capable of using it is out of question, especially when haki becomes the next step to evolution).

But, for Blackbeard to refer to Luffy with the word's actual use, Luffy must have leaked his haki at a level that can be detected by others. And, that brings the question, if that was the case, then why now? After being ignored by so many strong people? And with him carrying the version with the highest quality. An extremely unique case, in other words.
Old 2008-10-27, 09:24   Link #102
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
But somehow this doesn't make sense.
After all we know, at the moment it looks like Haki is better than anything a DF can provide, since it kind of makes them useless (which actually doesn't make sense in the first place, since it would mean, that only the negative sides of the DF's would remain for the story, and a "hero" with only a handicap isn't really very shounen), so if Blackbeard had knowledge of Haki and what it can do, why should he even bother to get a DF? And on top of it one, which has it's main purpose in deactivating other DFs?
it is not that Haki is better than DF..

Like DF exist in types, Haki as well exist in type.

also like DF verify in their ability, Haki as well have verfiy in abilities as well, but the difference is that:
1- While DF is rare to find, Haki existance is not that well known and only few people outside Lily knows about it. (mostly the people that where born there and related to Roger)

2- not all Type of haki are strong, while the one that (Luffy, Bon Hanckoc, Roger, Rayleigh, Shanks) maybe called Strongest Haki and can even match Logia DF, the other mostly won't even put fight against DF.

3- you can eat DF to gain power, but Haki is something you are born with and you need to train to use it in order to get strong.

4- generally speaking DF is widely known more than Haki which is like a secret, hardly even the marines knows about.

so whatever you think about it for someone like BB DF power he knows is better than seeking legend.
Old 2008-10-27, 11:54   Link #103
Slayerx

Quote:
But somehow this doesn't make sense.
After all we know, at the moment it looks like Haki is better than anything a DF can provide, since it kind of makes them useless (which actually doesn't make sense in the first place, since it would mean, that only the negative sides of the DF's would remain for the story, and a "hero" with only a handicap isn't really very shounen), so if Blackbeard had knowledge of Haki and what it can do, why should he even bother to get a DF? And on top of it one, which has it's main purpose in deactivating other DFs?
I was wondering something similar... that Haki undermines the key reason Blackbeard wanted the darkness fruit... but their are a number of things to consider

-the advantages of having ANY devil fruit out weighs the disadvantage of not being able to swim.

-While Haki allows you to hurt a DF in a way like a normal person would get hurt, it doesn't actually cancel out and nullify DF power... unlike the darkness fruit which actually makes DF users unable to use their powers while in Blackbeard's grip

for instance, though luffy was being held and hurt by Thunders Haki tail, he was still able to stretch his leg. And while Raylieh is able to strike Kizaru, he doesn't actually nullify the light light fruit; if he did, Raylieh's sword would have destroyed Kizaru's light sword instead of striking against it.

-The only other way Blackbeard could get the ability to nullify devil fruit is to fight using seastone. But ofcourse, it becomes difficult to use a devil fruit while using seastone... you either got to pick one or the other or try to do both by using only a very small amount of seastone like smoker does... but i'm not sure how effective smokers seastone weapon is in actual combat until he has the enemy pinned down.

Essentially, the darkness fruit gives blackbeard the best of both worlds... it gives him the high advantage of having a devil fruit power, but at the same time it gives him the nullifying power of seastone

for instance, take the hypothetical battle of Blackbeard vs Luuchi... using only Haki would not give him an offensive advantage against their Devil fruits in particular because the leopard fruit doesn't add to Luuchi's physical defence (except for maybe evasion, but Haki doesn't help BB if he can't land a hit), the leopard fruit mostly gives Lucchi a boost in strength and makes his skills deadlier; using Haki against them would be like using Haki against any other person... However, with his devil fruit, he can grab ahold of Luuchi and force him to revert to his human form... This takes away the offensive and evasive advantage (along with any defense in the case of other devil fruits like Luffy's, or Mr.1's) of his Zoan fruit... overall, BB has a better chance at beating Luuchi with the darkness fruit than he does with just Haki
Old 2008-10-27, 12:00   Link #104
marvelB

Actually, now that we're starting to learn more about Haki, Blackbeard's choice of DF power is starting to make more sense. I mean, if Haki can be used to damage any type of DF user (Logias included), then why bother eating a DF that makes you intangible in the first place? Plus, notice that Blackbeard said that his power can absorb anything... this may even include Haki. If that's the case, then Blackbeard is truly a lot more dangerous than we initially thought. Of course, that leaves the question of whether or not he can use Haki himself. It's too early to guess at this point, but I think it can be safely assumed that he's quite aware of it. I mean, he was already strong enough to wound Shanks long before he got his DF power, after all....
Old 2008-10-27, 12:43   Link #105
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yes, marvelB, I tend to find myself agreeing with you all the time.

Its plausible for Blackbeard to even such the will and determination out of someone, like what Perona did. He may literally drain one of their will and Haki.

And Blackbeard may have sought after this ability for just this purpose. But I can forsee that Luffy's will, would even carry him out of such a senario, proving that he has a will that cannot be drained away no matter what.

Blackbeard knowing the word Haki, most probably knows how to harness his own. He is going after the title of Pirate King as a dream as much as Luffy is. If Luffy is going to be a 'great king', Blackbeard may very well be the 'evil king'.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-10-27, 15:24   Link #106
ellifeedn
Thinker

Absorbing "will"? I feel this is going to turn into a metaphysical conversation. But it may not be so farfetched. What if Kuma had the gravity power added to him, since he's a cyborg, and used that to push the pain out of Luffy's body? That could be Oda foreshadowing the gravity fruit's potential right there. On the other hand, it's probably a power of the paw fruit.
Old 2008-10-27, 17:25   Link #107
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

I understand that Blackbeard keeps coming up as being more and more mysterious, but he still doesn't strike me as being the final villain. He is bery strong, and a worthy opponent, but...

He lacks a certain finality element...if you know what I mean. Just doesn't seem like the final villain type to me.

I loved the last chapter how Luffy just used Haki without even knowing it. Oh man...that was simply divine. I can't find any other way to describe that kind of plot twist. Awesome...

Eiichiro Oda is the best.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2008-10-27, 17:33   Link #108
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Absorbing "will"? I feel this is going to turn into a metaphysical conversation. But it may not be so farfetched. What if Kuma had the gravity power added to him, since he's a cyborg, and used that to push the pain out of Luffy's body? That could be Oda foreshadowing the gravity fruit's potential right there. On the other hand, it's probably a power of the paw fruit.

^ I actually had Kuma in mind when I made that post about Blackbeard. If he was able to extract "pain and fatigue" from Luffy's body, then Blackbeard absorbing "ambition" with HIS power may not be an impossibility. Besides, the Haki arrows already show that it's something that can be shot out externally, does it not....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
I understand that Blackbeard keeps coming up as being more and more mysterious, but he still doesn't strike me as being the final villain. He is bery strong, and a worthy opponent, but...

He lacks a certain finality element...if you know what I mean. Just doesn't seem like the final villain type to me.

I think he has great potential to be the final villain. His strength is one thing, but he's been shown to be very cunning, despite his appearance. In a way, he's like an "evil" version of Luffy: He's a strong believer in following his dreams and also wishes to be Pirate King, but for the wrong reasons. It also helps that he has an awesome crew.

Still, even if Blackbeard doesn't turn out to be the final villain, I am expecting him and his crew to at least be the penultimate villains for the Straw-Hats....
Old 2008-10-27, 18:59   Link #109
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Blackbeard is the no1 villian of this storyline there is no doubt about it -for now-.We dont know what Oda can pull up in future..Only thing shadowing Blackbeard's villain status is Dragon for me.We dont even know if he is a villain or not, yet if he is...Blackbeard's arch-enemy seems like Shanks and he will probly have his last duel with him rather than Luffy.In a situation like this ı'd rather see classical father vs son theme and Shanks vs Blackbeard.There is also possibility of Shanks defeat at Blackbeards hands once again and letting Luffy defeat him as final boss , or even dragon assisting him.We can never guess it with Oda.

But to me, Blackbeard and his crew is this storylines Akatsuki and Espadas.Entire crew is an anti Strawhat like marvelB stated for Luffy/BB.Chopper vs Q as doctor battles, Auge vs Usopp for sniper and zoro/sanji/franky for Burgess for brutal melee battle...Not even sure what Lafitte can do right now but he looks like a nice counter of Brook so far.It would be so great to see both teams up into raftel having their own final battles as Strawhats vs BB crew.
Old 2008-10-27, 21:13   Link #110
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
Blackbeard is the no1 villian of this storyline there is no doubt about it -for now-.We dont know what Oda can pull up in future..Only thing shadowing Blackbeard's villain status is Dragon for me.We dont even know if he is a villain or not, yet if he is...Blackbeard's arch-enemy seems like Shanks and he will probly have his last duel with him rather than Luffy.In a situation like this ı'd rather see classical father vs son theme and Shanks vs Blackbeard.There is also possibility of Shanks defeat at Blackbeards hands once again and letting Luffy defeat him as final boss , or even dragon assisting him.We can never guess it with Oda.

But to me, Blackbeard and his crew is this storylines Akatsuki and Espadas.Entire crew is an anti Strawhat like marvelB stated for Luffy/BB.Chopper vs Q as doctor battles, Auge vs Usopp for sniper and zoro/sanji/franky for Burgess for brutal melee battle...Not even sure what Lafitte can do right now but he looks like a nice counter of Brook so far.It would be so great to see both teams up into raftel having their own final battles as Strawhats vs BB crew.
Why do you think Dragon is an enemy of Luffy? Luffy would only fight him if he were to do some drastic that he wouldn't like.
Old 2008-10-27, 22:06   Link #111
harijaja

I have read the six pages. I'm a fan of Luffy. I love who he stands for what he believes. I love how he doesn't stand evil like when the World nobles shot Hatchanand he just punched them!!!! And i like when a character figths against all odds. I feel that i may get a lot a people arguin but please i don't want to discuss. Just to say what i think. ^_^

All the people are saying that the Haoushoku is rare like one in a million. But can we take that for granted when it comes from a island of women fully isolated from the world?? The same group of people who think men have golden balls and doesn't know about DF??. Could it be something pulled out by Hancock so that people take her like more special than she is?? Maybe is uncommon but not 'that' uncommon. If so did Gol Roger had the Haoushoku?? If so, does luffy grand father have it too? because he cornered Roger several time (and i have the feeling he let Roger slip away a few times. ^_^) If not there goes another question; Is the Haoushoku the strongest form of haki?? or is just a type of haki that let's you have some condition but not necessarily the strongest??

Is just that i don't like the "Look!. It turns out that the protagonist has coincidentally a power up that only 1 in 100000000000 every 100000000 years have." For example Zoro is a guy that have trained and trained and trained to fulfill his dream. Against all odds, he got beaten by a girl, and wasn't special or anything. or sanji. Or like Koby!!!

And i hope This doesn't become "the ultime power no one can get unless you are the chosen one or whatever"

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I DONT WANT TO ARGUE OF ANYTHING IF YOU CAN JUST READ THIS AND THINK ON IT, I JUST WANTED TO POST MY OPINION. ^_^
Old 2008-10-27, 23:20   Link #112
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
After all we know, at the moment it looks like Haki is better than anything a DF can provide, since it kind of makes them useless
I don't think that is true. Haki looks more like strengthening the attack (or defense in Rayleigh's case) to overpower or balance the devil fruit ability, kind of like a rokushiki technique (and can be a reason why Luffy was able to keep up with Lucchi and the others, thanks to his haki, and maybe Rokushiki is the study of achieving haki powers without having it). That also means the haki you have does not automatically grant you the ability to surpass devil fruit ones. Just like a devil fruit ability, it should also have its own weaknesses, at the least, it may be much more limited in usage time compared to devil fruit. Even the case of having both does not have to make you invincible (Enel is like that, assuming mantra is considered a version of haki).
Old 2008-10-27, 23:31   Link #113
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
I don't think that is true. Haki looks more like strengthening the attack (or defense in Rayleigh's case) to overpower or balance the devil fruit ability, kind of like a rokushiki technique (and can be a reason why Luffy was able to keep up with Lucchi and the others, thanks to his haki, and maybe Rokushiki is the study of achieving haki powers without having it). That also means the haki you have does not automatically grant you the ability to surpass devil fruit ones. Just like a devil fruit ability, it should also have its own weaknesses, at the least, it may be much more limited in usage time compared to devil fruit. Even the case of having both does not have to make you invincible (Enel is like that, assuming mantra is considered a version of haki).
Haki is your will and determination, if your will allows it, you can do impossible things. Its like 'as long as you don't give up, you don't fall'.

When you harness your Haki you are using your sheer will to fight, turning you into an unstoppable force. It doesn't matter what your opponent is throwing at you, Devil Fruit abilities, Rokushiki etc., as long as you have the will to stop it, you will. Same as beating opponents, as long as you have to will to defeat him, you will.

When 2 people pit their Haki against each other, its a contest of wills, who ever has stronger will and determination, will defeat the other.

Rokushiki is just as the CP9 said, a training system and martial that gave them superhuman physique, its not really giving someone Haki. But yes, Luffy was able to defeat his extremely powerful opponent because of his Haki, his determination to stop Lucchi.

Old 2008-10-28, 00:21   Link #114
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Why do you think Dragon is an enemy of Luffy? Luffy would only fight him if he were to do some drastic that he wouldn't like.
Dragon is an interesting and mysterious case as too exactly what role he will play in the story...
I mean, when it comes down to it, what do the 2 really have to come at odds about. He's a revolutionary, an enemy of the world gov't... as such he's got no quarrel with Luffy

But on the other hand, he just has such a fierce and evil persona going about him... it's hard to see him as an ally; his appearance just screams villian

I suspect that they will come at odds... when it comes down to it, Luffy just wants to be free... Dragon may be toppling the world gov't, bu with the fall of one rule comes the arrival of a new one... If Dragon wants Luffy to become part of the revolution, to bring Luffy under his control, it could easily force the two against eachother since Luffy wants no part in such a thing. have Dragon threaten Luffy's nakama and all hell breaks loose.
Old 2008-10-28, 00:24   Link #115
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Haki is your will and determination, if your will allows it, you can do impossible things. Its like 'as long as you don't give up, you don't fall'.
I don't think that definition is completely true. I admit that haki is related to will, as we clearly observe from Luffy and his crew, each being a special case, having the will to achieve something, and each had the power to stand without losing their conscious after experiencing Rayleigh's haki (though I don't know, if Rayleigh selectively excluded them). Anyways, even if its origins may lie in the will of the person (or the will of the person is actually created by that person's haki), it represents a power, an ability, obviously, with its limits. No matter how much will you have, you cannot overcome strength alone with that will.

Based on your definition, there should be no boundary to what he can achieve, cause all the person needs to do is have the will to live, and voila, can even regenerate after getting separated into tiny pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Dragon may be toppling the world gov't, bu with the fall of one rule comes the arrival of a new one...
I hope and believe Dragon's goals can be found in the history and fate of the Drum Kingdom. Do you really think Luffy will come at odds with someone who desires the latter?
Old 2008-10-28, 00:40   Link #116
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
I don't think that definition is completely true. I admit that haki is related to will, as we clearly observe from Luffy and his crew, each having a special case, having the will to achieve something, and each had the power to stand without losing their conscious after experiencing Rayleigh's haki (though I don't know, if Rayleigh selectively excluded them). Anyways, even if its origins may lie in the will of the person (or the will of the person is actually created by that person's haki), it represents a power, an ability, obviously, with its limits. No matter how much will you have, you cannot overcome strength alone with that will.

Based on your definition, there should be no boundary to what he can achieve, cause all the person needs to do is have the will to live, and voila, can even regenerate after getting separated into tiny pieces.
I've written alot on the topic of Haki, that I myself have lost track of them, but my theories have proven to work perfectly in the universe of One Piece. But I can assume its also myself who can see that, unless there is someone who followed every single one of my posts on Haki.

Haki itself is not just a force, it is a force with direction, and that direction is 'against or for' or 'enemy or ally'. As you can see, the immediate effects of Haki that we can see, is that its able to intimidate the opposing side, if the opposing side has weak will, it may even be knocked out from fear. And when harnessed for strength, it becomes your unstoppable fighting spirit.

If you are not the enemy or not someone who is afraid of the person releasing his Haki, you are unaffected by his intimidating presence. Instead you'd even be sharing his presence.

What we don't see, is that Haki is that Haki is also a force that holds people together. Its Luffy's ambitious attitude, strong will and determination, his unique charisma that binds the Strawhats together, it is his Haki.

Well, I really can't piece the puzzle for everyone, unless they really want to. And I can only direct you to my Haki posts(searched under Haki/C.A.: http://forums.animesuki.com/search.php?searchid=5437632

Of course if anyone really wants to read them, you read them from the earliest post to the latest post. And do take note that my theories had evolved along with as much as One Piece has revealed so far.

EDIT: I forgot to address your mentions of limits and coming back to life. The limit is set by Oda himself, and Luffy and co. themselves.

Luffy has came back to life, how many times? Or was it his will refusing to let him die? He holds his dream of becoming the Pirate King so strong that he refuses to give in to failure and defeat. That is his will and Haki.

Old 2008-10-28, 11:22   Link #117
harijaja

Quote:

What we don't see, is that Haki is that Haki is also a force that holds people together. Its Luffy's ambitious attitude, strong will and determination, his unique charisma that binds the Strawhats together, it is his Haki.
Wait, wait, wait. Please, for god's sake let's stop and think a little over here. We are making Haki like 'everything' now...

I hate to think and i think Luffy will agree that the Strawhats are bind by Luffy's haki. That would be saying that the aren't true nakama and are only bound by this haki everybody is crazy now.

All of the Strawhats (ALL) have passed through horrible things in life. When the encountered Luffy they found someone who trusted in them and didn't care what they did bad or anything. He trusted them and offered his friendship. They have overcome many things and support each other.

Sorry, is not my intention to offend and maybe i got it wrong. But it sounds kind of sick saying that what binds the SH is haki. Yes is Luffy charisma and his trust in them that in someone have gattered them togheter. But that's beacuse he is that way, not beacuse is haki. Let's please not say he is the way he is because of his haki. But the opposite.

Let's forget about haki in this. They trust each other. Even when luffy is not around the care for each other and trust each other. Or do you think is Luffy is not around they will start cutting and hating among themselves like animals? They are friends, and in Luffy's words "True Nakamas". Luffy needs them too as much as they need him.

Sorry is just that people are starting to getting freak about by Haki and are starting to say that one of the characters i like the most is the way he his because of this haki, and that his friends are draw to him like flies to the fire beacuse of that power. And that wouldn't make him better than Hancock and like Luffy she piss me off…
Old 2008-10-28, 11:47   Link #118
Sordes Pilosus
Claymore Addict

Luffy's Haki is not the reason the Strawhats joined his crew. However his Haki is part of the nature that makes others want to join his Crew. Part of what makes him respected and looked up to. But its Luffy's actions themselves that has made his Crew Join him.

However regarding Ha,ki C.A. I made quite the big post regarding Haki and Logia user's in the Haki thread, would really like some of your opinions on that post if possible.
Old 2008-10-28, 12:59   Link #119
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harijaja View Post
Wait, wait, wait. Please, for god's sake let's stop and think a little over here. We are making Haki like 'everything' now...

I hate to think and i think Luffy will agree that the Strawhats are bind by Luffy's haki. That would be saying that the aren't true nakama and are only bound by this haki everybody is crazy now.

All of the Strawhats (ALL) have passed through horrible things in life. When the encountered Luffy they found someone who trusted in them and didn't care what they did bad or anything. He trusted them and offered his friendship. They have overcome many things and support each other.

Sorry, is not my intention to offend and maybe i got it wrong. But it sounds kind of sick saying that what binds the SH is haki. Yes is Luffy charisma and his trust in them that in someone have gattered them togheter. But that's beacuse he is that way, not beacuse is haki. Let's please not say he is the way he is because of his haki. But the opposite.

Let's forget about haki in this. They trust each other. Even when luffy is not around the care for each other and trust each other. Or do you think is Luffy is not around they will start cutting and hating among themselves like animals? They are friends, and in Luffy's words "True Nakamas". Luffy needs them too as much as they need him.

Sorry is just that people are starting to getting freak about by Haki and are starting to say that one of the characters i like the most is the way he his because of this haki, and that his friends are draw to him like flies to the fire beacuse of that power. And that wouldn't make him better than Hancock and like Luffy she piss me off…
Seems like my explanations still haven't get across because of the amount of factors I have to cover, but didn't manage to, or I overlooked.

Haki is not a negative thing, indeed it is an extension of one's will and is purely just that. Whether its negative or positive is how and who its applied on.

And I state again, yes, I said Luffy's Haki is what that binds the Strawhats together.

First I'll start with this previous post of mine, which you probably have read, judging from your post.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
It makes even more sense now, for Luffy's origin of Haki.

Being a Haou, which literally means a supreme ruler, one who's will dominates over all others, means that Luffy has the highest form of Haki. Haoushoku Haki just means Supreme ruler class/level/type Haki.

This instantly ties to Luffy's dream of being the Pirate King. Everytime he announces that he is the man that will become the Pirate King, people will get shocked, impressed and other stunned expressions. That is where his Haki comes from, his dream.

The other meaning for Haki is ambition. And Luffy who dares take up such a grand ambition, the Pirate King, can only prove that he is one with a Haou class Haki. One that has the will and determination to rise above all.

And remember the number of people who thought that Luffy gives a feeling of Gol D Roger. That is because both Luffy and Roger carried the same 'ki', the same aura, the aura of a Haou, one who dreams to become a ruler.

You can say the moment Luffy acquired this Haki is the first time when he thought of being the Pirate King, his Haki came immediately when he had such a dream. A dream where alot of people want to achieve, but not many have the will and determination to carry on. Luffy is one man who has the will and determination, that makes his Haki, Haou class.

And its exactly because of his grand ambition and charisma, his Haou class Haki influenced the people to go on a journey with him, those people are now the Nakama of the Strawhat Pirates. Luffy's Haki convinced his Nakama that he will help them achieve their dreams, that is the strength of Luffy's will and determination. His Nakama believes in him because he has this grand atmosphere and charisma around him.
What this post was saying is that Luffy's Haou class Haki is what that draws people toward him and binds those closest to him, even closer.

The word Haki, is compound word with an extremely broad meaning, that once understood becomes easy. Because its a word that ties all its meanings to a single fundamental meaning which all the other meanings can relate to.

I think that just saying Haki is someone's will, ambition, fighting spirit determination and what else I've mentioned but forgotten for now, is not enough. Because I've been focusing on the word 'Ha' too much and neglected 'ki', which is basically the word for character, emotion, atmosphere and feel. I shall now explain Haki itself when its not just used in a fight.

Ki is the influential fundamental core of a person, the aura of one's character. But when you add 'Ha' to it, forming 'Haki', its not just influential, it draws people to you or repels them, it becomes an influential force, a will. Your will becomes something that others can sense. They can either sense you as a fearsome foe or a great ally. In other words, its the fear opponents experience from you or the trust and bonds between you and your friends.

Maybe at this point someone would be saying 'Oh wow, now C.A.'s going even more farfetched.' But I'll still try to tie those ropes.

When you know your friends are strong willed people and will always be by your side and help you when you're in need, you have trust and faith in them. In a group that's what binds people together, friends who acknowledge each other and trust each other. Meaning this is 'Ki' at work, the 'gravity' that binds everyone together. Now bring in Haki, one who's gravity is so strong, he holds the solar system together, yes, Luffy is that Sun.

Luffy's Haki, which carries an extremely strong sense of trust and friendship/companionship(or Nakamaship if possible), binds his crew together. He leaves no man behind, he holds all his crew on his shoulders and his crew knows that. Haki is just like the gravity that holds the solar system in place.(Wow at this point I found that the word gravity relates to Haki extremely well)

I used to mention Haki being an intimidation aura, an aura of dominance, yes it still works and works fine. The intimidation part, I'm sure most, if not everyone can understand that from the story itself so far. But dominance, not so well understood.

You can only dominate over others, if your will is stronger than them. You make people go your way and people willingly go your way, because they're scared of you? Yes probably is. But what if I change 'dominate' to 'lead'? Yes, I should have used this word as well, but Oda didn't let us know how significant Haki is in the story previously.

Ok, why 'lead', leadership aura? Essentially, when you lead, you are dominating others, you are bringing others along with you, they follow your will. Yes it works under the same explanations I've been giving. But the difference between them is that dominating sounds forced and leading sounds like a better joint effort between the leader and crew. Yes, Haou class Haki, the Haki of a ruler, is the Haki of a leader, one who has the will to lead others through. And when you flip it over to the opposing side, its the will of a ruler who will dominate over the enemies.

And I have one more part to address, maybe some others but my brain is rather fried at this point with all the neurons working to think and type this. The last part is Haki as ambition and tying it with Luffy's dream.

Haki combined is also the word for 'ambition'. Literally, one with strong Haki, is one with strong ambition. Someone with strong ambition can only be someone who's really determined to go after a dream, the stronger that the determination for a bigger dream, the more Haki one has. And yes, Luffy, going after the ultimate dream of a Pirate King and proves himself with sheer will, determination and confidence when he announces that he's the man that would become the Pirate King. Luffy definitely is someone who has that quality of a king, one with a Haou class Haki. Luffy's Haou class Haki emerged from within when he first had such a dream. He carried the same eyes, gave the same feelings of Gol D Roger to those who knew him. And is what that made Shanks so sure and so proud of him, someone who's worth more than his strawhat and even his arm.
--------------

Well, I guess that's the end for this typing session, I hope it gets through to more people, though I know that there are still people who won't understand it.

More asians please lol, its really hard to get the concept of Haki across to the western fans. I've been on the topic of Haki so as to help more people understand this wonderful establishment Oda instilled since the first volume when Shanks stared down the Seaking.

Old 2008-10-28, 13:57   Link #120
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
I've written alot on the topic of Haki, that I myself have lost track of them, but my theories have proven to work perfectly in the universe of One Piece. But I can assume its also myself who can see that, unless there is someone who followed every single one of my posts on Haki.
There is not enough information on haki, so I doubt we can assume you as a virtual-Oda here, even with all your past history based on what you claim. I hope you can understand that.

Quote:
Haki itself is not just a force, it is a force with direction, and that direction is 'against or for' or 'enemy or ally'. As you can see, the immediate effects of Haki that we can see, is that its able to intimidate the opposing side, if the opposing side has weak will, it may even be knocked out from fear. And when harnessed for strength, it becomes your unstoppable fighting spirit.
That may not always be true, the direction part. And, that may even be valid for some types of Haki, not for all of them. Even the will part of the opposing side may not be always true. Till now, we have only seen the ones with strength standing against its effects.

[quote]If you are not the enemy or not someone who is afraid of the person releasing his Haki, you are unaffected by his intimidating presence. Instead you'd even be sharing his presence. [quote]Another observation, people who ate Haki, were not aware what hit them. I doubt the one who lost consciousness were even aware of the the person's strength. They may not even had a feeling at the time, and the female warriors more recently were actually looking down on the one releasing that, there was no intimidation whatsoever.

Quote:
Buggy must have one of those too. Or, many of the pirate captains we had seen now. I think it is better, for now, not to explain every little thing about will using Haki.

Quote:
Luffy has came back to life, how many times? Or was it his will refusing to let him die? He holds his dream of becoming the Pirate King so strong that he refuses to give in to failure and defeat. That is his will and Haki.
No one easily dies in One Piece, that is part of the story's ideology. The strong one getting beaten, like Zoro, or the weaker one he beats with stronger attacks. If Haki is supposed to create differentiations among characters, then, generalization is not the way to follow.
Closed Thread