AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-04, 07:11   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 521 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-11-04, 07:17   Link #2
Sordes Pilosus
Claymore Addict

Well im hoping for a good Chapter, It will likly be a Chapter with quite alot of Conversation in it, regarding things like what the Mark on the back is. Sandersonia needs to move from her position afterall, or she might fall. At the time there is a big chance we will get the mark revealed and probably Luffy remember after hearing part of their story.
Old 2008-11-04, 10:59   Link #3
james0246

I really do not want Boa to be Luffy's mother. This idea just seem too silly to be a valid story.
Old 2008-11-04, 11:10   Link #4
marvelB

No spoilers yet, but in the meantime here's my lil' prediction:

We'll probably get a flashback that chronicles the events that led to the Boa sisters getting whatever mark is on their backs in the first place. I'm also going to go out on a limb and consider the possibility that the mark will somehow be connected to Dragon, which would further strengthen the "Hancock=Luffy's mother" theory....

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I really do not want Boa to be Luffy's mother. This idea just seem too silly to be a valid story.

Personally, I find the idea to berather intriguing. On an island inhabited by only women, a mother meets her bastard son whom she wanted nothing to do with.... So yes, even if they do turn out to be related, I wouldn't expect to see them getting along anytime soon.....

And hey, at least that twist is better than the "Hancock falling in love with Luffy" twist.
Old 2008-11-04, 12:33   Link #5
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
And hey, at least that twist is better than the "Hancock falling in love with Luffy" twist.
I would be relatively okay with Boa being his sister (previously unmentioned (like all Luffy's relatives )) or even an aunt, but the mother angle just seems so...awkward. Then again, overall, maybe I just do not want Luffy to be related to Sandersonia and Marigold .

Predictions: Boa was crying in the last episode not due to a tragic past, but because she is upset that she must now get down into the ring and attempt to kick Luffy's ass. So, she is crying because she is going to ruin her manicure .
Old 2008-11-04, 13:58   Link #6
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Then again, overall, maybe I just do not want Luffy to be related to Sandersonia and Marigold .

But who wouldn't want to have a couple of freaky snake women as their aunts?

But kidding aside, Luffy's reaction to being related to the Boas should be highly amusing if it turns out to be true. He'd probably think that being related to transforming snake women would be the most awesome thing ever....

As far as Hancock being Luffy's sister goes.... I think that depends on how old she is. If she's over 30 years old, then I think we can rule out that possibility....

Quote:
Predictions: Boa was crying in the last episode not due to a tragic past, but because she is upset that she must now get down into the ring and attempt to kick Luffy's ass. So, she is crying because she is going to ruin her manicure .

Yep, I see the possibility of Hancock being pissed, as well. However, I'm not 100% certain that she's the type of person who's afraid of getting her hands dirty. She certainly has no problem with kicking around kittens and throwing elderly folks out of windows, after all....

Last edited by marvelB; 2008-11-04 at 17:25.
Old 2008-11-04, 17:17   Link #7
Rainbowman

Well we have two possibilites before the summary is out:

1. Boa Hancock shows the markings on her back and tells her story about it.

or

2. Boa Hancock mentions the Devil Fruit she has and goes into combat with whatever other skills she has.

This outcome is as suspenseful as this election event between Obama and McCain.
Old 2008-11-04, 17:30   Link #8
marvelB

LOL, I accidentally typed in "Hancock being Luffy's brother" in my last post.... silly me. I fixed the mistake but I still can't help but be reminded of a while back when a few people guessed that she was actually a man in drag shortly after she was revealed....

Oh, and I'm still crossing my fingers for elder Nyon to reappear and kick some ass soon!
Old 2008-11-04, 17:30   Link #9
Crimson Reaper

Okay so I found a brief summary. I don't think it's been confirmed yet but I'll throw it out all the same.
-The sisters wonder what Luffys goal is as his actions confuse them.
-Luffy explains what happened to him back on Archipelago.
-Boa believes him and has a flashback on if she should or shouldn't fight to remain a Shikibukai.
-Boa says she'll sail for Archipelago.

Also the mark on their backs is the mark of the World Government, but again not confirmed.
Very interesting....if true that is. I smell tragic back story and ass kicking team up in the near future.
Old 2008-11-04, 18:00   Link #10
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Reaper View Post
Okay so I found a brief summary. I don't think it's been confirmed yet but I'll throw it out all the same.
-Boa believes him and has a flashback on if she should or shouldn't fight to remain a Shikibukai.

Also the mark on their backs is the mark of the World Government, but again not confirmed.
Very interesting....if true that is. I smell tragic back story and ass kicking team up in the near future.
World Government tattoo? Now THAT would be just plain pathetic. Boa as Luffy's mom? Heck why not. Hottest mom? rofl. But dude....wait that would make no sense. The mark right seems like it could actually hurt someone if seen. A tattoo would be the last thing that would cause harm.
Old 2008-11-04, 18:26   Link #11
marvelB

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe those spoilers are fake, as well. But not so much because of the WG tattoo thing, but the fact that Hancock was willing to sail Luffy back to Sabaody so soon. I don't think that she would let Luffy's offenses slide so easily, even if he were to explain his situation to her. She seems to be quite determined to protect her secret, even to the point of eliminating anyone who glances at her exposed back.....
Old 2008-11-04, 21:25   Link #12
Freya

Quote:
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe those spoilers are fake, as well. But not so much because of the WG tattoo thing, but the fact that Hancock was willing to sail Luffy back to Sabaody so soon. I don't think that she would let Luffy's offenses slide so easily, even if he were to explain his situation to her. She seems to be quite determined to protect her secret, even to the point of eliminating anyone who glances at her exposed back.....
Yeah but for one thing Luffy had no effect seeing it and he also saved her sister.
Old 2008-11-04, 23:26   Link #13
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Reaper View Post

If the marks on their backs are confirmed, perhaps you can post a picture so we can all see. If that mark is of the World Government, then it would have to be proof that Luffy knows the significance of it.

BTW, Barrack Obama has won by 284 points.
Old 2008-11-05, 02:44   Link #14
marvelB

Well, the REAL summary is out now. It hasn't been fully translated yet, but here's some interesting tidbits:

-The Boa sisters are confirmed to be runaway slaves (well, at least that's one particular piece of speculation that turned out to be true....). Also, the mark on their backs is the sun tattoo that we see on Hachi and various other mermen.....

-Shakuyaku, Rayleigh's friend from Sabaody, was a former empress of Amazon Lily. Apparently, so was Lola's mother, but that doesn't seem to be 100% confirmed yet.....

Yep, very interesting chapter so far indeed.

Edit: Pics are out! Nyon appears! Hancock also restores Margaret, Sweetpea and Aphelandra back to normal! Unfortunately, now people are getting the impression that Hancock will join Luffy. Well, I guess as long as it's temporary, I'd be cool with it.....
Old 2008-11-05, 03:07   Link #15
noktown

Yeah as cool as it may be i don't like the idea of Boa joining Luffy,Margaret yeah,Boa - nooo...

So boa is turning into a good girl,i guess Luffy is just too good ;d
Old 2008-11-05, 03:30   Link #16
marvelB

So that part about Shakky and Lola's mom being former empresses turned out to be fake after all (well, I DID say it wasn't 100% confirmed).

So... still no full translation yet, but apparently, the sun mark is actually a slave brand, and the mermen altered it a bit and made it their symbol. Also, Hancock mentions some dude named "Fisher Tiger" (I don't think he's a Yonkou.... he's probably a merman, judging by the name). So it looks like this storyline will tie in to the upcoming Merman Island arc after all. I still can't say I'm too fond of Hancock softening up to Luffy so soon, but as I said before, if she's only a temporary ally, then I'm cool with it....
Old 2008-11-05, 03:43   Link #17
Freya

Quote:
So that part about Shakky and Lola's mom being former empresses turned out to be fake after all (well, I DID say it wasn't 100% confirmed).

So... still no full translation yet, but apparently, the sun mark is actually a slave brand, and the mermen altered it a bit and made it their symbol. Also, Hancock mentions some dude named "Fisher Tiger" (I don't think he's a Yonkou.... he's probably a merman, judging by the name). So it looks like this storyline will tie in to the upcoming Merman Island arc after all. I still can't say I'm too fond of Hancock softening up to Luffy so soon, but as I said before, if she's only a temporary ally, then I'm cool with it....
It's literally IMPOSSIBLE for her to join Luffy. Temporary ally as marvel said is the only logical alternative for her.
Old 2008-11-05, 04:22   Link #18
marvelB

Okay, thanks to aohige, we have a full summary:

-Hancock agrees to undo the curse she placed on Margaret and co. The three sisters are shocked by Luffy's gratitude.

-Afterwards, Hancock shows Luffy her back and he says it looks similar to Hachi's tattoo. Elder Nyon appears and tells Hancock to explain the story behind the mark, since she knew that Luffy assaulted a World Noble (I guess she found out from that newspaper)....

-Hancock says she and her sisters were captured and sold to the World Nobles when she was 12 years old (she also notes that they men who enslaved her were the first ones she's ever seen). Four years after becoming a slave, a merman named Fisher Tiger (who became the original captain of the merman pirates) climbs up the Red Line with his bare hands and liberated ALL the slaves, despite his hatred of humans. Naturally, the government wasn't very happy about this. Afterwards, he formed the Sun Pirates with the slaves he rescued. He's passed away since then, and the merman pirates split into seperate groups......

-Hancock then asks Luffy if he hates her, but he says that it's the World Nobles that he hates. She then cheers up and tells him that she'll lend him a ship.....

Man, Fisher Tiger is freaking awesome. I think we'll learn more about him in the upcoming Merman Island storyline (hell, we better). It's also great to finally learn about the Sun Pirates. Of course, this now makes Arlong's hatred towards humans fully understandable, though I still wouldn't say that it justifies him terrorizing innocent people like he did in East Blue....

Still, it's kinda wierd when you also consider that Macro's crew, who also had the same mark, was cooperating with Duval in capturing slaves. I mean, I'd find that to be pretty low.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
It's literally IMPOSSIBLE for her to join Luffy. Temporary ally as marvel said is the only logical alternative for her.

Precisely. I mean, it doesn't really make sense for a person who already has her own crew to begin with to be a permanent member of Luffy's crew (sure, Usopp had a "crew", but it was only a pretend one). Plus, it would just be plain awkward for the final crewmember to be someone who's probably stronger than Luffy...
Old 2008-11-05, 04:32   Link #19
Sordes Pilosus
Claymore Addict

Well if the Summery is accurate we probably have also found Margaret's role if she comes to joining. Bodyguard, If the part about Hancock "liking Luffy" as in not love or things like that but really like him as a person. Then she might send an Amazon to help protect him. Margaret would be the most logical one to send for the job.
Old 2008-11-05, 04:42   Link #20
james0246

Say it loud, and say it proud, "I am Fisher Tiger." I hope he will have a voice like Kirk Douglas'

So the original predictions of a slavery tattoos were correct, as well as my original prediction that Luffy would simply ask for a ship and that the ending would be anti-climatic . Oh well, at least Boa is not Luffy's mother .
Closed Thread