AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-06-18, 22:03   Link #1
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Series to watch with my little brother!

He said he wants to watch a series with me, to get more into anime as a whole, but the problem is I can't really think of anything I'd let him watch. :\

In the past, we had watched the entire series of Digimon Tamers, as well as Ao no Exorcist.

I'm looking for a series with no nudity (or at least none that's overtly sexual in nature) or fan service. Blood and violence is okay to a degree (certainly nothing along the lines of Elfen Lied or Hellsing, as some common examples). I just want to keep him away from sex and stuff.

An action anime is preferred.

Thank you for any help!
Old 2013-06-18, 22:16   Link #2
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Gundam Unicorn might be a good anime if you've no issues with the Gundam franchise. Another excellent anime would be Five Centimetres per Second, although there is no action and is more of a drama.
Old 2013-06-18, 22:49   Link #3
jedinat

Trigun - one of my favorite anime of all time...

Inuyasha - good for what it is, shounen action with all its tropes (wouldn't touch the dub with a ten foot poll though... usually goes without saying, but this one had a long run on adult swim...)

Shura no Toki - great action anime where the protagonist(s) are satisfyingly badass... I don't like the last arc though and always skip it (story arcs are mostly unrelated).

I don't think there's anything inappropriate really in those...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 00:13   Link #4
oompa loompa

There cannot possibly be a show that is more appropriate to watch with ones little brother than Full Metal Alchemist, or Full Metal Alchemist: brotherhood.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 01:34   Link #5
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
He said he wants to watch a series with me, to get more into anime as a whole, but the problem is I can't really think of anything I'd let him watch. :\

In the past, we had watched the entire series of Digimon Tamers, as well as Ao no Exorcist.

I'm looking for a series with no nudity (or at least none that's overtly sexual in nature) or fan service. Blood and violence is okay to a degree (certainly nothing along the lines of Elfen Lied or Hellsing, as some common examples). I just want to keep him away from sex and stuff.

Thank you for any help!
One Piece? You can spend a year watching just that
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 04:30   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=children

I also suggest this thread at ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/...ic.php?t=25171

It would also help if we knew how old your brother is.

Even though the main characters are girls, I strongly recommend Dennou Coil.

Though it has its weaknesses, I also suggest giving Magi a try.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 18:23   Link #7
magnum12

In agreement that age of the bro is important.

If its good action but not over the top violent about it you want, might I suggest Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Old 2013-06-19, 18:53   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Blood and violence is okay to a degree. I just want to keep him away from sex and stuff.
I must say I find that statement profoundly depressing.

In any event, age is the key factor you haven't told us. The first thing that popped into mind from your description was Rurouni Kenshin.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 22:05   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:

Thank you for any help!
Fullmetal Alchemist is the first to pop into my mind. It is on the more intense side. How old is your brother?

Inuyasha might be a good oldie to pick.

Crest of the Stars would be a good one.

I can't forget to mention my favorite show from when I was eight: Starblazers! There is a remake that is currently airing if you want better graphics. Space Battleship Yamato 2199. One of the greatest anime of all time.

Chrono Crusade is another that's on the more intense side of thing.

You might try some sports anime and see what he thinks: Cross Game or Big Windup would be my choices. Although maybe something more "actiony" like Major or Slam Dunk would be better received. (Note that I haven't seen these last two and only know them by reputation.)

If mecha is okay by you then just about any of the Gundam series should serve. If you'd prefer a series that isn't as heavy on the mecha to introduce the idea you could watch Full Metal Panic.

I don't recall Last Exile having any fanservice scenes. That was a good show.

Angel Beats might work. Although it's not always an action show.

Read Or Die (the OVA) would be a good choice. Sort of like X-Men crossed with James Bond.

Tiger & Bunny would also be a good choice.

Chrome Shelled Regios should work. I don't remember any fanservice.

There is also Bodacious Space Pirates. Pretty much no fanservice. The most fanservicy thing I can think of was Marika crossing her legs.

Perhaps Otome Youkai Zakuro, though I think it was aimed more at girls.

Soul Eater has quite a bit of fanservice the first three or four episodes before that all disappears for the rest of the show. You might want to check it out and see what you think.

From what I remember Shakugan No Shana has a single questionable scene early on, and then nothing after that.

A Certain Magical Index has some fanservice, I'm trying to remember what it was, but I don't remember it being that much. Stay away from the spin off Railgun though. That has a ton of fanservice (first season anyway, second season not as much).

Katanagatari has some sexy scenes, but nothing too heavy. Might be on the boundaries of what you want.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 04:05   Link #10
animenendoroid

How old is your brother?
Old 2013-06-20, 17:26   Link #11
Crassa
Streamline

Highschool DxD - Leave me a comment if you really shown him that xD

OT:

Prince of Tennis: Sounds pretty good to watch with younger audience. It's about a first year middle schooler surprising all the seniors and winning all sorts of international tennis cups. Plus he has that "no talk, just do" attitude though he gets along with all his senpai and is seen as an important member of the club. One thing that makes this great is that it's not just plain tennis but each character has its own specialties and powers.
Old 2013-06-20, 17:38   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassa View Post
Please don't make trolling comments like that. Just answer the question.

OP: Just read the first paragraph of this description of the series to see why that is a troll.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 21:04   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The Daughter of Twenty Faces!
Old 2013-06-21, 12:32   Link #14
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Depending on his age, the first Full Metal Panic season, the third season; Full Metal Panic:The Second Raid, and the comedy spin-off Full Metal Panic Fumoffu might be animes that he'll like that you'll also allow him to watch. The dubs are good on them, too, if he wants anime in dub.
Old 2013-06-21, 15:08   Link #15
kitten320

Most of shounen to be honest... such as FMA, Soul Eater, D.Gray Man, Inuyasha, Hunter x Hunter, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Magi and etc.

More childish: Pokemon and Sonic. Dennou Coil is meant for younger audience. Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle was quiet childish.

If you don't mind sport series, you can try Major.

Rozen Maiden, dolls come to live and fight each other.

Seirei no Moribito - amazing series but depends on how old your brother is since he simply might not appreciate it as much as you. Otherwise really worth it. Good action and no fan service.
Great story and characters.

Sengoku Basara
Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles
Old 2013-06-22, 15:52   Link #16
marinne14

ok Gintama for the win
Old 2013-06-22, 20:15   Link #17
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Gundam Unicorn might be a good anime if you've no issues with the Gundam franchise. Another excellent anime would be Five Centimetres per Second, although there is no action and is more of a drama.
Hm, now that you mention it, a Gundam would fit well. I'll look into Unicorn. I've already seen 00 so I'd rather not re-watch it. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Trigun - one of my favorite anime of all time...

Inuyasha - good for what it is, shounen action with all its tropes (wouldn't touch the dub with a ten foot poll though... usually goes without saying, but this one had a long run on adult swim...)

Shura no Toki - great action anime where the protagonist(s) are satisfyingly badass... I don't like the last arc though and always skip it (story arcs are mostly unrelated).

I don't think there's anything inappropriate really in those...
Trigun has always been on my radar considering the number of IRL friends that have referenced it and/or told me to watch it, so I'll also take this one into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
There cannot possibly be a show that is more appropriate to watch with ones little brother than Full Metal Alchemist, or Full Metal Alchemist: brotherhood.
Oh gosh. Well, I've gone this far without seeing anything FMA, so I guess I could start now. Only problem is time, as I'm working quite frequently. I don't know how many episodes there are, but the fact that there are two seasons and it's quite popular makes me worry that it's a veyr long series.

FYI, I'm trying to finish a series before Summer's end and I head back to college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
One Piece? You can spend a year watching just that
See above. Not to mention that One Piece really don't interest me. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=children

I also suggest this thread at ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/...ic.php?t=25171

It would also help if we knew how old your brother is.

Even though the main characters are girls, I strongly recommend Dennou Coil.

Though it has its weaknesses, I also suggest giving Magi a try.
He's 10, going on 11. Thanks for pointing that out.

I do not think a series centered only around girls would keep him engaged all that much. He's still quite new to the anime scene, and at his age (and judging his character from my perspective) it'd be difficult for him to associate with such a series, if that makes any sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I must say I find that statement profoundly depressing.
Tell me about it. In all honesty I wouldn't care to show him something with ecchi/fanservice in it, but my mother would throttle me if she found out. He's been playing Halo 3 since he was five years old (which partly my fault, guilty, guilty), but my parents don't seem to care too much about violence anymore. It's just too difficult to avoid, which I agree with, though still try to keep him away from certain games/movies/series/etc.

But this isn't about family dynamics! Digressing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassa View Post

OT:

Prince of Tennis: Sounds pretty good to watch with younger audience. It's about a first year middle schooler surprising all the seniors and winning all sorts of international tennis cups. Plus he has that "no talk, just do" attitude though he gets along with all his senpai and is seen as an important member of the club. One thing that makes this great is that it's not just plain tennis but each character has its own specialties and powers.
Dude don't even joke like that. xD

Sports anime aren't of any interest to me.
Old 2013-06-22, 23:58   Link #18
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I'm rewatching the series now and the dub is perfectly fine.
Old 2013-06-23, 00:22   Link #19
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I'm rewatching the series now and the dub is perfectly fine.
How great for you. It turned me off to anime whenever I happened across it on adult swim (10+ years ago... and downloading some subbed anime on a whim is what got me into it).
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 00:42   Link #20
oompa loompa

Quote:

Oh gosh. Well, I've gone this far without seeing anything FMA, so I guess I could start now. Only problem is time, as I'm working quite frequently. I don't know how many episodes there are, but the fact that there are two seasons and it's quite popular makes me worry that it's a veyr long series.

FYI, I'm trying to finish a series before Summer's end and I head back to college.
yeah it is quite long. 51 episodes in the first show, and 64 in the remake. Still, 1 hour 30 minutes a day, you could get through 4 episodes a day and finish either in less than 3 weeks. Totally worth it though, it really is one of the great shows (either one of them) in my opinion. If school starts again in August, I think you can make it. Sorry to push this so hard but.. you did say it was a show you wanted to watch with your little brother ... so.. it kind of has to be FMA
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children