AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-04, 03:35   Link #1
Fronzel
Schmuck

Di Gi Charat madness

This was recently posted at AoD:
Quote:
Di Gi Charat TV Series Vol. #1 (also Limited Edition) - N/A minutes - $29.98/59.98 - TBA
Di Gi Charat: The Movie (also Limited Edition) - N/A minutes - $29.98/59.98 - TBA

Volume one? The entire series is only about 80 minutes, how could it not be one disc? And $60 special releases? If there isn't a life-sized Gema, I think I'll pass.
Old 2004-09-04, 13:22   Link #2
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
It was released on 2 DVDs in Japan.

We'll see what's included when it comes out.
Old 2004-09-05, 00:43   Link #3
Fronzel
Schmuck

It's pretty much established that Japanese DVD releases are crazy, no? And it's not like it's cheaper than a normal disc or anything.

I want a life-sized Gema.
Old 2004-09-06, 03:13   Link #4
babbito2k
annoying white bat

The movie on one full-price disc?! That thing is what, 25 min. long!? They should throw in a free ticket on the spaceship, and for the special edition they should throw in the super-size waterlogged Gema...

And of course, there's no point in even thinking about Synch-Point without whimpering briefly at the thought of Tenshi ni Narumon! still being held hostage... why do I get the feeling that overcharging for a minor otaku-style series like Di Gi Charat is not going to do anything for that show after all these years...
Old 2004-09-07, 00:34   Link #5
Fronzel
Schmuck

I was actually expecting that they might release the series and movie on one disc, for a running time of about 110 minutes. Seemed pretty reasonable to me. |x
Old 2004-09-07, 00:37   Link #6
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

by vol. 1 it may imply that they have some of the specials as well
and 30 minute discs aren't uncommon, ADV released Voices of Distant Star on one disc (but included She and Her Cat as well as some other extras)
Old 2004-09-07, 00:43   Link #7
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
I was actually expecting that they might release the series and movie on one disc, for a running time of about 110 minutes. Seemed pretty reasonable to me. |x
The original series and movie together would be out of sequence. Putting the series on one disc and the movie on another would be OK but they shouldn't ask for the same price for both. And I don't see a release date for either title, which is yet another bad sign - not that Synch-Point is any good at making their own release dates.
Old 2004-09-07, 00:51   Link #8
Fronzel
Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
by vol. 1 it may imply that they have some of the specials as well
and 30 minute discs aren't uncommon, ADV released Voices of Distant Star on one disc (but included She and Her Cat as well as some other extras)
Yes, also Grrl Power!, but in those cases, 30 min. is all there is. Not so with Di Gi Charat. Also, VoaDS and Grrl Power! are retailed at $19.98, whereas both DGC discs are listed as frickin' $29.99.

I hope you're right about the inclusion of the spring and summer specials or whatever. It would make things a bit more acceptable. EDIT: Actually, I think that would make things downright reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
The original series and movie together would be out of sequence.
Oh, yeah, the American kid. Forgot.

Last edited by Fronzel; 2004-09-07 at 04:06.
Old 2004-09-08, 01:28   Link #9
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Oh, yeah, the American kid. Forgot.
No Pyacola Analogue III or Black Gema-Gema Gang in the first series (they first appeared in SS2K) - it would be weird to have them just show up in the movie and start messing about.
Old 2004-09-08, 02:48   Link #10
Fronzel
Schmuck

Quote:
No Pyacola Analogue III or Black Gema-Gema Gang in the first series
That's terrible!

Quote:
(they first appeared in SS2K)
Whasit?
Old 2004-09-08, 16:14   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Whasit?
I thought the first series was great! Pyoko would have been too much, they had to introduce Abarenbou and the fanboys. SS2K is Summer Special 2000, the 2nd series, all about Pyoko and her plot to kidnap Digiko.
Old 2004-09-08, 16:30   Link #12
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
Lets see here...'Di Gi Charat' is a 16 eps series, with a remake of it containing 104, 12 minute eps, called 'Di Gi Charat Nyo'. Along with that there is a prequel to 'Di Gi Charat' called 'Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat' with 48 eps. There's also an OVA to it mainly about Piyoko. On top of that there is a Spring, Summer, Natsuyasumi (autumn?), and Christmas special. Each special with 4 eps, not counting the Christmas one. Oh and the movie. So there is plenty for them to release as future volumes.

ADV has released the prequel on 4 DVDs, with 12 eps per disc at arund 7 minutes each.
The remake was licensed by Bandai. (probably put on hold for SEED to be released first, or other Bandai projects)
The Piyoko OVA was also licensed by Synch-Point (the ones who took the original) so I expect a DVD fairly soon.
Specials aren't licensed yet tho.

Last edited by Oujirou; 2004-09-08 at 16:48.
Old 2004-09-08, 20:21   Link #13
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oujirou
Lets see here...
Panyo Panyo and Di Gi Charat Nyo are quite different in that they come off like kid's anime, whereas the original run up to the movie was an otaku-style anime. Rattling off Spring Summer etc. gets everything out of order:

1999 - Di Gi Charat
2000 - Di Gi Charat SS2K (Summer Special 2000)
2000 - Di Gi Charat Christmas Special
2001 - Di Gi Charat Hanami (Flower Viewing)
2001 - Di Gi Charat Natsuyasumi (Summer Vacation)
2001 - Di Gi Charat Movie: A Trip to the Planet

The 4-episode series had longer running times per episode than the original series.

I doubt that the Pyoko series fits in with the original run as it came out in 2003, and Broccoli was already turning everything into a kid's show by then.

Don't expect anything fairly soon from Synch-Point, not even for announced releases like the discs under discussion. They are good at turning anime into vaporware.
Old 2004-09-08, 20:37   Link #14
Fronzel
Schmuck

You say Nyo is kiddie-like? Maybe Dejiko doesn't get hit by cars anymore, but it wasn't like Panyo or anything. I only saw the three fansubbed episodes, though.

Incidently, I kinda like Panyo for its own merits, but everything else is better, of course.
Old 2004-09-08, 21:02   Link #15
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
You say Nyo is kiddie-like? Maybe Dejiko doesn't get hit by cars anymore, but it wasn't like Panyo or anything. I only saw the three fansubbed episodes, though.
I seem to recall a distinct lack of animal feces in the onigiri in Di Gi Charat Nyo. And they changed Long-hair-san and Abarenbou and got rid of Bukimi.
Old 2004-09-08, 21:23   Link #16
Fronzel
Schmuck

Ah, yes, the animal feces....I was watching Nyo Colation's fansub, so I never got to see Abarenbou or much of the Bukimi, though.

I still like what I saw of Nyo, though. What it may have lost in edge it made up for in sheer weirdness.
Old 2004-09-08, 22:54   Link #17
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
I still like what I saw of Nyo, though. What it may have lost in edge it made up for in sheer weirdness.
I don't dislike Nyo but it has no place in the "canon." It revises the whole story rather than simply adding to it, and it doesn't have the otaku thing going for it.

I remember showing an episode of the first series to a guy I know and it basically melted his brain; I just don't think that Nyo was meant to do that to people, and I... need for there to be shows that want to melt people's brains.

After writing about the series in the last couple of days I realize it's been far too long since I saw it all. I am going to have to go watch it again.
Old 2004-09-09, 00:04   Link #18
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Don't expect anything fairly soon from Synch-Point, not even for announced releases like the discs under discussion. They are good at turning anime into vaporware.
FLCL (6 episodes) on three discs, need i say more?
they probably would have made more money with 1-2 discs
Old 2004-09-09, 02:47   Link #19
Fronzel
Schmuck

Wasn't that an issue with the Japanese...distributor or whatever? You know, because the R2 was six discs?
Old 2004-09-09, 10:23   Link #20
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
It was probably a matter of cost, since Gainax probably charged them an arm and a leg for it.
Closed Thread