AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 28 36.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 33.77%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 19.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-02, 18:17   Link #41
Telliamed
sensei no pet

I really wish I had just skipped the first five minutes of this episode. The fight seemed fake and pointless. No tension at all, something that wasn't lacking in Matsuri's encounters with Takeshi. And could someone please introduce the writers to a little thing called "continuity"? (Episode 8: Matsuri walks outside of the train shed and sees Aono standing on the roof. Episode 9: They're inside the shed and Aono is on top of a train car.)

I'm thinking all that time in the hospital, stuck in a bed and staying awake at night... Aono watched a bit too much Aono. We first see her imitating Nagato Yuki. Then Yomiko Readman. And at the end of the fight, it's Kawasumi Mai.

The emotional highlight for me this week was, in fact, Sae taking an umbrella to Takeshi. What a surprise, considering how much I hated her voice at first. I really like her now. She scored quite a few moe-points for calling Matsuri "Yaka-san".

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkxkra View Post
ya...any1 noe the translation of episdoe 1 opening song/tis episode insert song?
Music thread.
Old 2007-06-03, 01:29   Link #42
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler:
To take this observation to one notch further: when Takeshi dies, Mayuko will truly be alone. Imagine the pain that must bring to Takeshi every time he thinks in that tangent. No wonder he is so motivated to kill an Yaka to restore her humanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny
Not even sure if anything like that was mentioned, but people tend to go for the 'root' of misfortunes piled upon them and pull them out forcefully.
In a philosophical sense, yeap... agreed! When Takeshi observes near the end of the episode:

Spoiler for dialogue specific from ep 9:

From that exchange of dialogues, Takeshi seems to be under the assumption that killing a Yaka can restore Mayuko's humanity. That in itself seems to be an interesting fact which seems to hint at how the show might pull down its curtain. Theory time:

Spoiler for more of monir's melodramatic theories, as Cats puts it ^__^:

Take that Orion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingknight
And a final thought on the kindness/cruelness, it all reminded me of yasashii hitogoroshii (Madlax fans... ).
Kind killers nicely reverberate with what Kct said, "Kindness is probably one of the cruelest forms of cruelty." We are now only missing that piece which will explain the motivation behind Matsuri's kindness. As much as it pains me to admit, I'm also in agreement that horribly voiced Yorito is the root of this drama.
Old 2007-06-03, 02:59   Link #43
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

It's sooo cliched, I feel like I watched this ep before. But it's very well done, two big battles in one ep, they must've blew a lot of budget on this ep, I'm impressed with the T vs. M battle. Now I have to wonder, who created Mayuko. If killing the Yaka that created her can turn her back to human, then Matsuri might have a chance if she finds out who created her.
Old 2007-06-03, 03:14   Link #44
JediNight
キズランダム

Wow that striking blow of Takeshi's was pretty hax if you ask me. She bounded to the top of that giant crane in seconds, and somehow he climbed to the top of it in like 10 secs? lol... riiiight.

Good camera direction this episode and such, but overall I can't help but feel that a lot of it didn't need to happen. Why didn't Mayuko say a long time ago that she just wants to be with Takeshi like he used to be.

I wonder what other special things there are related to Yaka if you can create a sword that can't be affected by the magic? I assume it's because the sword is polished to such a sheen? Overall I guess we're not supposed to think about why Takeshi's light stuff can harm a Yaka, but no other artificial light seems able to.

Monir:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-03, 03:24   Link #45
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

There's a small chance we might get a new character, one that's well non-conformant to the rest~ small chance though.

There's also the issue with Takeshi. What he knows is obviously correct. And so the kill a Yaka to turn another into a human may be true as well. But I have to wonder, how is it that Takeshi-san found all of this out while being all this time with Mayuko. Somethings fishy~

Also if it ever comes to Matsuri or Aono as sacrifice for the other then it's likely it will be Aono to die :'( since she's the one who committed suicide. It's also interesting how this may be a motive to revive someone. As monir nicely put it: "Kindness is probably one of the cruelest forms of cruelty."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
Why didn't Mayuko say a long time ago that she just wants to be with Takeshi like he used to be.
Love~ ♥
Old 2007-06-03, 03:58   Link #46
Icerack

Quote:
Wow that striking blow of Takeshi's was pretty hax if you ask me. She bounded to the top of that giant crane in seconds, and somehow he climbed to the top of it in like 10 secs? lol... riiiight.
It's anime... stuff like that happens.
Old 2007-06-03, 06:46   Link #47
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
There's a small chance we might get a new character, one that's well non-conformant to the rest~ small chance though.

There's also the issue with Takeshi. What he knows is obviously correct. And so the kill a Yaka to turn another into a human may be true as well. But I have to wonder, how is it that Takeshi-san found all of this out while being all this time with Mayuko. Somethings fishy~

Also if it ever comes to Matsuri or Aono as sacrifice for the other then it's likely it will be Aono to die :'( since she's the one who committed suicide. It's also interesting how this may be a motive to revive someone. As monir nicely put it: "Kindness is probably one of the cruelest forms of cruelty."

Love~ ♥
small chance you say? introducing a new character so near to the end? you need a cookie if that happened (so im saying that theres no way it will happen) ~

takeshi knows what hes doing is correct? i dont think so...imo he is just disillusioned at the truth...mayuko cannot be human again so intead he is fixated with the fact that all he needed was to kill matsuri inorder to keep his promise (which was the only thing keeping mayuko alive) ~ he needed an aim/goal for her to survive living as a yaka...

and yea...aono doesnt get enough love to stay alive >_<

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-06-03, 06:53   Link #48
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
takeshi knows what hes doing is correct? i dont think so...imo he is just disillusioned at the truth...mayuko cannot be human again so intead he is fixated with the fact that all he needed was to kill matsuri inorder to keep his promise (which was the only thing keeping mayuko alive) ~ he needed an aim/goal for her to survive living as a yaka...
His weapons and knowledge are just too good. I mean a sword that is not effected by yaka-powers WTF?!~
I'm saying his idea is probably not far from the truth. He and Matsuri are probably the closest to the truth about yaka's in the whole show.
Old 2007-06-03, 10:23   Link #49
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Finally some background...even though it's still not sure (and imo highly improbable) that Matsuri actually was the yaka who did the killing.
I guess Mayuko wouldn't have stopped Takeshi if she wouldn't have gotten to know Matsuri, even though she says that she doesn't want him to take a life in order to restore her humanity as if it was a principle of hers. She could've said so much earlier in that case and would've spared him a lot of trouble.
And the fight between Aono and Matsuri was kinda lame. Takeshi vs Matsuri had a lot more tension and just "felt" better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
And could someone please introduce the writers to a little thing called "continuity"? (Episode 8: Matsuri walks outside of the train shed and sees Aono standing on the roof. Episode 9: They're inside the shed and Aono is on top of a train car.)
Yes, that was a major continuity flaw, I can't imagine they didn't notice it themselves... oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
His weapons and knowledge are just too good. I mean a sword that is not effected by yaka-powers WTF?!~
I'm saying his idea is probably not far from the truth. He and Matsuri are probably the closest to the truth about yaka's in the whole show.
I agree. Takeshi would hardly be so sure about his objective if he didn't at least have some clue. He may not be 100% sure about it but he wouldn't go so madly after Matsuri if it was only a crazy idea of his.

Spoiler for ending speculation:
Old 2007-06-03, 10:58   Link #50
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Tsk, tsk ,tsk. All these gloom and doom predictions when this is not a crying game imo.

Old 2007-06-03, 11:14   Link #51
arkxkra
全力全開

if end of story never have a solution to turn back to daywalker from yaka....after takeshi die, mayuko will be lonely(since takeshi already accompany her so long)....i cant even imagine that scene..... >.< ...watching some1 die is a type suffer especially the one you love....

nono...i dont wnt to c anymore sad ending....
Old 2007-06-03, 11:15   Link #52
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Tsk, tsk ,tsk. All these gloom and doom predictions when this is not a crying game imo.

Ahh...What I wouldn't give for a happy ending. Thing is, Aono's still seems like a character of tragedy. I'm not saying it isn't possible for her to be happy in the end, but that probably means having to make an 'earth-shaking' decision in her case, something which might make her happier in a way than she realised or in the conventional way for her.

Spoiler:

Of course, if she disappears instead...Well, it's the most probable option right now, though I would rather Orion's scenario occurring. The only thing that remains is how everything thus far gets resolved.
Old 2007-06-03, 21:13   Link #53
Icerack

Spoiler for speculations:
Old 2007-06-04, 00:21   Link #54
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Slow week?

I couldn't help but notice that Matsuri has become involved in a sort of yaka arms race. We first see her super-human abilities in the church at the beginning of episode 2. She gets a running start before leaping through the window, and needs to touch an object for it to decay. It takes only a single flash dart to knock her down.

Next Takeshi attacks her in Yorito's house. She's learned to defeat the darts with her decay ability, not needing to touch them. But she can only handle one at a time.

During her encounter with Aono, she's able to wipe out large numbers of paper projectiles, And she jumps around rather easily. Even though she had been weakened by the stab to her abdomen.

When she fights Takeshi again, she has that wound, plus nearly being killed by Aono, not to mention winded having run from the train stop to the docks. Yet she had no problem doing a standing backflip-and-kick. Then turns around and pulls an Elric on Takeshi. Finally leaps to the top of a large crane where a flash dart only distracts her momentarily.

Anyone get the sense that, as far as the abilities of a yaka are concerned, the writers are making it up as they go along. It doesn't seem to me that there are any rules to what Matsuri can or can't do. Nor does her ability to fight reflect her physical condition.

I'm also not sure if I like the idea of her disintegrating things without touching them. Although being able to stop just a single dart versus dozens of origami paper at once can be explained by the difference in mass

But it bothers me a little that the action-oriented aspects of the show aren't being as well thought-out as the emotional elements. If they were consistent and well executed, I could enjoy the fighting. Instead, it's just distracting to me; I want the fights to end quickly so I can watch more personal interaction. It's like they only scripted it to appease a certain type of viewer: in other words, gratuitous.
Old 2007-06-04, 00:42   Link #55
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Spoiler for The fights:
Old 2007-06-04, 04:38   Link #56
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerack View Post
Spoiler for speculations:
Spoiler for Reply:

Quote:
Anyone get the sense that, as far as the abilities of a yaka are concerned, the writers are making it up as they go along. It doesn't seem to me that there are any rules to what Matsuri can or can't do. Nor does her ability to fight reflect her physical condition.

But it bothers me a little that the action-oriented aspects of the show aren't being as well thought-out as the emotional elements. If they were consistent and well executed, I could enjoy the fighting. Instead, it's just distracting to me; I want the fights to end quickly so I can watch more personal interaction. It's like they only scripted it to appease a certain type of viewer: in other words, gratuitous.
Well that's fine by me ~ and I think most people that watch the show for the emotional bit like it like it is too.
If I want to see or analyse fights then I'll just go watch some shonen.
I agree with what you said though =)

Quote:
I'm also not sure if I like the idea of her disintegrating things without touching them. Although being able to stop just a single dart versus dozens of origami paper at once can be explained by the difference in mass
No, it more the difference in nature,
The paper origami weren't made out of paper.. not normal paper anyway.
Remember she materialised them at will ~
Old 2007-06-04, 11:37   Link #57
Boukenxha

Quote:
Yeah I sense that too. The show seems to focus exclusively on the character relationships and their dynamics, while the Yaka physiology is offered but never quite elaborated on the details. This also led me to the same suspicion that they were not fully thought out and perhaps made up as the story progress of some convenience.

Spoiler for ep 9 example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Good camera direction this episode and such, but overall I can't help but feel that a lot of it didn't need to happen. Why didn't Mayuko say a long time ago that she just wants to be with Takeshi like he used to be.
The cliche reply to that would be that Mayuko has insecurities and is afraid of changes, that Takeshi might leave her if there isn't a reason for him to fight for. But yeah you have a point there.
Old 2007-06-04, 12:29   Link #58
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight

The cliche reply to that would be that Mayuko has insecurities and is afraid of changes, that Takeshi might leave her if there isn't a reason for him to fight for. But yeah you have a point there.
I think that she probably didn't know what he was planning to be able to tell him. It seems that she thought that they were going to talk to Matsuri, not kill her. When she started to get an idea of what he was trying to do was when she ran away and ended up with Matsuri.
Old 2007-06-04, 15:00   Link #59
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
But Takeshi has always been with her! I think this particular exchange of dialogue makes it clear that Mayuko hasn't known what exactly Takeshi has been up to. She knows that he is looking for someone, but she didn't seem to have the answer behind the question "why he is looking for another Yaka?" until now. In this scene Mayuko seems to be assuring Takeshi that he doesn't need to burden himself to the extent where he is ready to take another life to restore Mayuko's, and reminds him that having him by her side is enough. Besides, Takeshi is risking his life too. If Takeshi's target Yaka was Aono instead of Matsuri, I'm sure Aono wouldn't have been so accommodating at taking so much beating from someone who is so intent on killing her.

Quote:
Monir:
Spoiler:
Are you hinting that... oh man.. I'll cookie you out of sheer joy if Yorito is bummed off. I'm hoping Matsuri has saved that piece of glass to return the favor to Yorito.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Fortunately, my loathing for his character doesn't allow me much sympathy for his would-be emotional state if he is turned into a Yaka. I just want to see him suffer a terrible terrible death, preferably by an injury that happens somewhere in the region of the vocal chord, for being voiced by this awful VA.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Yes.. it isn't looking very good for Aono in any outcome, let it be a sad ending or a happy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats
As monir nicely put it: "Kindness is probably one of the cruelest forms of cruelty."
While I really would like to take the credit for the quoted sentence, it's Kct who said it first.
Old 2007-06-04, 15:19   Link #60
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbonbon View Post
WHERE CAN I WATCH EPISODE 9 OF SOLA ONLINE?? I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE!
You are not allowed to ask us where to find RAWs, sorry