AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 12 18.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 24.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 35.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 16.92%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.62%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-03, 15:12   Link #41
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Greater muscle mass... yeah sure? Have you noticed how Ruka is even when he is a '' boy ''? Nothing like a boy, very fragile and weak. Just look at her sword swinging on one of the first episodes of this anime.. Does that look like a greater muscle mass to you? You can read yuugi's spoilers from the VN anyway and you'll see that my guess was correct. With that said, I hope yuugi gets banned and stops posting the goddamn spoilers.
It's a phenomenally unimportant point, but as a matter of human physiology males will have greater muscle mass than females, given comparable physical conditioning. Just because Ruka looks flimsy under a loose Miko's robe doesn't mean he wouldn't be stronger as a boy than as a girl.
Old 2011-08-03, 15:19   Link #42
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Chapter of the awkward moments, and Daru's idea of dating... holding hands is ecchi.

It doesn't matter if you're a guy or a girl!

Sadly, it does more than we'd like, and Ruka's very desire to become a girl was part of the issue. So it really does bring up the question of how much gender is, since well, Ruka is more or less the same person otherwise but she can only express her love in one. It was a great sacrifice really; Ruka decides to abandon such a dream to go save Mayuri and as such Okabe has more on his shoulders.

And so we backtrack...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-08-03, 15:48   Link #43
ruurguy

Quote:
Greater muscle mass... yeah sure? Have you noticed how Ruka is even when he is a '' boy ''? Nothing like a boy, very fragile and weak. Just look at her sword swinging on one of the first episodes of this anime.. Does that look like a greater muscle mass to you? You can read yuugi's spoilers from the VN anyway and you'll see that my guess was correct. With that said, I hope yuugi gets banned and stops posting the goddamn spoilers.
Haven't seen other examples so maybe yuugi has posted actual spoilers before. I don't really see any issue of posting what happens in the game in the thread for the episode that it would have occurred in the anime though, which was the case in this thread at least. If it is just additional information/clarification and not future events it seems ok to me, although I guess some people don't want to be spoiled on the game? Just my opinion though. If there have been lots of actual spoilers though I agree that seems like an issue.
Old 2011-08-03, 16:53   Link #44
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Lots of spoilers or small amount of spoilers, they're still spoilers and the rules of the thread are clear. I'm pretty sure it's this game guy who posted spoilers before too. I asked and relentlessflame has confirmed that posting comparisons to VN what happened there is NOT allowed under any circumstances if spoiler tags and proper spoiler tags are not used. Even if you don't mind the comparisons, some do. I do as a matter of fact. I still hope to play the VN one day when it gets translated and I do not want to read what happened in the VN. And this was not just a comparison, he posted what happened in alternate Feyris route that wasn't even shown in the anime.
Old 2011-08-03, 17:13   Link #45
ruurguy

Quote:
Lots of spoilers or small amount of spoilers, they're still spoilers and the rules of the thread are clear. I'm pretty sure it's this game guy who posted spoilers before too. I asked and relentlessflame has confirmed that posting comparisons to VN what happened there is NOT allowed under any circumstances if spoiler tags and proper spoiler tags are not used. Even if you don't mind the comparisons, some do. I do as a matter of fact. I still hope to play the VN one day when it gets translated and I do not want to read what happened in the VN. And this was not just a comparison, he posted what happened in alternate Feyris route that wasn't even shown in the anime.
Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2011-08-03, 17:59   Link #46
Scrya
"Also a Lolicon"

Send a message via MSN to Scrya
Dang it, I was laughing too uncontrollably at the situation to pay enough attention to the first half of the episode. Rewatching.
Old 2011-08-03, 18:12   Link #47
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
Well, calm before the storm... Noticed they used the game's lab theme tune while they were eating out at the usual ramen place. Felt a bit out of place.

Otaku vocab for this episode is "RealJuu" - An Otaku who has found a soul mate and is "charged (juuden)" with real world love instead of dating sims and 2D Waifus =P
Really? I'd heard that the "juu" stood for "juujitsu".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatena keyword
実際の現実の生活(リアル生活)が実している人間のこと。
But in more relevant news, could Kurisu be any more awesome?

Totally busted a gut this episode. The awkwardness was just so...
Old 2011-08-03, 18:44   Link #48
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Damn, this ep. Even though Ruka hasn't gotten a lot of air time in the last 17 eps, I was really feeling it this ep.

I was so glad that Okabe redeemed himself with the last half of the date.
Old 2011-08-03, 19:01   Link #49
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
This is the correct definition. "Riarujuu" is a contraction of "riaru de juujitsu" which means "enriching life in reality" - so basically a person who has a great social life in real life (good work/good school, lots of face-to-face friends, plays and hang out with such friends, and of course maybe a boyfriend/girlfriend though this is not always required). For extreme otakus like Daru, going on a date is considered to be "riarujuu" activity.
Old 2011-08-03, 19:16   Link #50
Jean Claymore
Former #9

Quote:

And what do you mean Jean Claymore? How would you know that Mayuri is still going to die? Cause you don't. It hasn't been shown if Mayuri would die now with these few d-mails undone. But Kyouma is gonna play it safe and use the IBN to erase their data from SERN's database. How is he going to do that with Moeka having the IBN is beyond me though..
I actually didn't mean based on Ruka but generally. You really should read more carefully what other people post Anyways, I wasn't relating to Ruka, but was thinking what if Ruka was a muscle head when he was a guy back then? As you've already mentioned, there hasn't been any difference between the male and female Ruka when changed his sex, both facial and fragile and exactly the same look as he/she had. I mean c'mon I only threw a joke

Just a speculation and a little doubt.... Suzuha said they might change the future (mean Mayuri's death) by changing its number of divergence into 1, remember? And I never said I was certain about it... if I remember correctly, Okabe's taking this IBNs back to avoid the SERNs world conquest, not for Mayuri's sake.
Old 2011-08-03, 19:38   Link #51
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
That's right. But when an Otaku uses the slang, it usually means they're jealous their fellow Otaku found a significant other.

Pretty sure it says the same thing in the game's glossary but I'll have to check once I'm back at my rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
This is the correct definition. "Riarujuu" is a contraction of "riaru de juujitsu" which means "enriching life in reality"...
Have a look at the Wiki definition for the alternative meaning.

"...インターネットスラングとしてのリア充とは違い、主に恋人が居る人を指して遣う言葉になっていることが多い..."

Akihabara@DEEP gave off the same vibe when they were teasing one of their members for having a real girlfriend if you ever watched the drama.

Anyway, just a bit of trivia like the whole "nullpo" thing from earlier eps, lol.
Old 2011-08-03, 20:07   Link #52
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Have a look at the Wiki definition for the alternative meaning.

"...インターネットスラングとしてのリア充とは違い、主に恋人が居る人を指して遣う言葉になっていることが多い..."
Actually you've got it wrong as you cut out parts of the important text. Here's full text which was written as how the term is gaining usage amongst everyday people:

昨今、リア充という言葉が、インターネットを普段そこまで使用しない層の人間の間でも使われ始めた。しかし 、その意味合いは所謂インターネットスラングとしてのリア充とは違い、主に恋人が居る人を指して遣う言葉に なっていることが多い。 また、ネット上で、恋人のいる者に対して「リア充」と呼ぶ人もいるが、ネット上でのリア充の定義は「友達が 1人でもいるやつ」と発祥場所である大学生活板において定められている。

It refers to that the term "riarujuu" is gaining acceptance and usage in real life (the non net dwellers) and that those non net dwellers uses it mostly to mean someone who has a significant other half - which is NOT want the net dwellers uses it for. And finally the paragraph closes with how only a minority of the net dwellers specifically uses this to refer to "having a significant half" but the original usage of the term being extremely encompassing to the point that it is actually used to refer to anyone that even has one real life friend (thus basically anyone who isn't a hikkikomori NEET essentially).

Since Daru is a heavy otaku and net addict, it's perfectly safe to assume that he is using it as how the net citizen uses it - as in anyone that is engaging in life enriching activity in real life outside of the lonely net/otaku hobbies.

EDIT: note that "riarujuu" activities also includes non-otaku hobbies eg sports
Old 2011-08-03, 21:35   Link #53
dragon132004

This was a great episode, heavy on the comedy again but after the Necrosis arc we can use some more lighthearted stuff. I do agree that it seemed pointless to undo Rukako's D-mail, since it still won't get the IBN back. Should've gone straight to Moeka.
If there is one thing to comment on the directing, it is that the drama is well done, indeed it was a sad end for Ruka. Ever since Suzuha's farewell to Feiris's last episode and this episode and the next episode is the return of Shining Finger ... we'll see how Okabe manages to handle this one.
Old 2011-08-04, 00:47   Link #54
satomianzaki

this episode is really really nice...kurisu made the episode so fun to watch...
Old 2011-08-04, 04:24   Link #55
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Actually you've got it wrong as you cut out parts of the important text. Here's full text which was written as how the term is gaining usage amongst everyday people:

昨今、リア充という言葉が、インターネットを普段そこまで使用しない層の人間の間でも使われ始めた。しかし 、その意味合いは所謂インターネットスラングとしてのリア充とは違い、主に恋人が居る人を指して遣う言葉に なっていることが多い。 また、ネット上で、恋人のいる者に対して「リア充」と呼ぶ人もいるが、ネット上でのリア充の定義は「友達が 1人でもいるやつ」と発祥場所である大学生活板において定められている。

It refers to that the term "riarujuu" is gaining acceptance and usage in real life (the non net dwellers) and that those non net dwellers uses it mostly to mean someone who has a significant other half - which is NOT want the net dwellers uses it for. And finally the paragraph closes with how only a minority of the net dwellers specifically uses this to refer to "having a significant half" but the original usage of the term being extremely encompassing to the point that it is actually used to refer to anyone that even has one real life friend (thus basically anyone who isn't a hikkikomori NEET essentially).

Since Daru is a heavy otaku and net addict, it's perfectly safe to assume that he is using it as how the net citizen uses it - as in anyone that is engaging in life enriching activity in real life outside of the lonely net/otaku hobbies.

EDIT: note that "riarujuu" activities also includes non-otaku hobbies eg sports
Here's the screenshot from the game's glossary.

So OK... It refers to any real life activity but in this case, Daru's reaction is clearly jealous because he hears Okabe has a date. I'll stick to my idea of the usage since that's the situation I hear it being used in most and since it's slang, its "definition" will probably change overtime just like any trend
Old 2011-08-04, 04:28   Link #56
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Makes you wonder if the memories aren't hidden there all along, waiting to be triggered.
Nah, there are girls who uses "boku". I like using "boku", myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon132004 View Post
I do agree that it seemed pointless to undo Rukako's D-mail, since it still won't get the IBN back. Should've gone straight to Moeka.
What he's actually trying to do is getting to World Line Beta by canceling the D-mails, the search for the IBN is just along with it.

Last edited by ninryu; 2011-08-04 at 04:39.
Old 2011-08-04, 04:35   Link #57
larethian

I agree with houkoholic though he typo-ed the romanization of the contraction . Riajuu is a pretty holistic term these days rather than just about having a girlfriend or boyfriend.

Perhaps, a few years down the road, this term will become more familiar if this ever gets animated:
おまえをオタクにしてやるから、俺をリア充にしてくれ!
Old 2011-08-04, 09:25   Link #58
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
So OK... It refers to any real life activity but in this case, Daru's reaction is clearly jealous because he hears Okabe has a date.
Of course Okabe having a date is why Daru is jealous, I never disputed that. But "having a date" is quite different than "having a lover" don't you think? Afterall Okabe is hardly going steady with Ruka so your definition is WAY off in the given context. Daru is jealous of something (comparatively) trivial is also part of the joke too, it highlights how pathetic in life some of these otakus can be.
Old 2011-08-04, 10:05   Link #59
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Of course Okabe having a date is why Daru is jealous, I never disputed that. But "having a date" is quite different than "having a lover" don't you think? Afterall Okabe is hardly going steady with Ruka so your definition is WAY off in the given context. Daru is jealous of something (comparatively) trivial is also part of the joke too, it highlights how pathetic in life some of these otakus can be.
Thank you for being so technically precise, Mr Houkoholic. I must adapt your ways of such high levels of scrutiny
Old 2011-08-04, 10:55   Link #60
klare

they are too nervous about the date

the divergence meter kept rising so i guess Okabe is on the right track