AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 13 24.07%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 38.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 20.37%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 12.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-19, 04:33   Link #21
Kakkou
Tch.

I think maria's song is one of my favourite HanaKana songs to date. I think it's the instrumentals that really give it a strong push. This episode was pretty hard to watch =(. It just feels like there's no hope, no way this won't end really, really horribly. I really love the voice acting in the whole episode. The cast did a fantastic job, perhaps a little more than usual. The visuals were neat too.

On a different note, so this is what Shun's been waking up to before they broke up? Mmmm. /shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by motibilli View Post
WHAT A HUGE RIP OFF! finally saki satoru do it(i didnt even get it until i read someone's post) and we dont even get to see them kiss! so gay/yuri kisses n stuff is allowed but not even a shred of that..what a let down. I WANT MY 20 MINUTES BACK!! there was enough time to add satoru and shun french kissing but NOT this.What crap!!
Yes, let's totally ignore the rest of the episode and the actual story because GODDAMMIT, there was no wholesome, natural, proper hetero sex!! How dare those fuckers!? They ripped off everyone who watched these 16 episodes just to see Satoru J-J-JAM IT IN Saki!! Ahhh, I seen better hentai where they get down to sex in the first episode!!1

*ahem*
Old 2013-01-19, 04:34   Link #22
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Then you would've been disappointed either way... :/
Pretty much. I mean, I guess there could have been something more to it, but the next scene shows them under the covers, together, and seemingly naked. Put that together with the bonobo theory, and the massive stress they're under, and it's not hard to figure it out.

So, that out of the way. My quickie episode thoughts:

1. Dream is a mix of Shun's last link to Saki, and her own intuitive nature. The dream may look like a crazy mess, but the symbolism is pretty clear.

2. It never occurred to me before, but Robber Fly is the perfect name for Squealer's colony. Satoru's hunch is dead on, regarding the colonies motives.

3. I think most viewers know what is coming regarding Maria and Mamoru, with all of this foreshadowing. In this regard, I think Saki's narration about Maria being born is misplaced. They should have killed, or let die, a certain other person all those years ago.

4. This upcoming timeskip is the widest in the story. Now I know why.

5. Waiting each week for a new episode is cruel.
Old 2013-01-19, 04:44   Link #23
TimeSkip

The Queerats have found their WMD (either Maria or her child) and are planning to use it against human.

Of all those cantus powers, I am surprised that there aren't telepathy, premonition, or ESP kinds of cantus users who can locate missing people. Otherwise, Maria and Mamorou would be tracked down in no thime.
Old 2013-01-19, 04:44   Link #24
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I have a confession to make: I know longer wait with baited breath for each episode. I realized that this week when I found myself downloading this week's episode almost as an afterthought after the other three shows I'm watching (Psycho-Pass, Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, and Vividred Operation). That makes me sad

This doesn't mean that I think it's a bad show or that I'll not see it through to the end. It only means that I don't derive the same enjoyment from watching it as I once did. I'm certainly still interested in seeing what happens, but the emotional investment I had in it has considerably withered.

In my opinion this show has suffered from some horrible pacing issues so that may be why. This episode is a perfect example of that. Was it really necessary to devote an entire episode to the Saki and Satoru's snow adventures? No, not really. There are only some many times you can watch a character gliding over snow before it becomes tedious. As for the visuals . . . well, the background scenery is pretty at least. The character animation leaves much to be desired given its inconsistency.
Old 2013-01-19, 04:49   Link #25
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
I have a confession to make: I know longer wait with baited breath for each episode. I realized that this week when I found myself downloading this week's episode almost as an afterthought after the other three shows I'm watching (Psycho-Pass, Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, and Vividred Operation). That makes me sad
Amusingly, it's the opposite here. Psycho-pass is a show i sort-of watch, as well as Sasami-san, but in both cases i only watch them when i am bored to tear.

Especially Psycho-pass seems like a dumbed down and 'for kid' version shinsekai yori (but in cyberpunk!), with atrocious pacing issues.

I guess i like the 'novel' format better than the "episodic format where everything is dumb for plot reasons".
Old 2013-01-19, 06:51   Link #26
Raviel

It looks like Bakenezumi/Human relations have really changed in the next timeskip if the Baknezumi can openly send ambassadors to the village.

I don't know if it's just me but I really like how they always manage to convey a really tense atmosphere whenever the characters are dealing with Squealer.
Old 2013-01-19, 06:54   Link #27
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxorMG View Post
How fitting that the piece played near the end was Dvorak's From the New World.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVhVbz4xBRA#t=36s

^_^
They've been using that for a while, though. It's a curfew sign in the village, in one episode we can see a person playing it on an ancient record player. It even has lyrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
I'm guessing it had a lot of crying and angst, so I'm somewhat glad it wasn't in this just because of how heavy the episode already was for me. Not sure if I could've taken any more emotional damage...
Spoiler for spoiler, perhaps? maybe we'll get a flashback or something:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Yes, let's totally ignore the rest of the episode and the actual story because GODDAMMIT, there was no wholesome, natural, proper hetero sex!! How dare those fuckers!? They ripped off everyone who watched these 16 episodes just to see Satoru J-J-JAM IT IN Saki!! Ahhh, I seen better hentai where they get down to sex in the first episode!!1
lol XD I hope we'll get a flashback or something so people wanting some wholesome, proper hetero sex can enjoy it, until they realize
Spoiler for novel:

Quote:
Then perhaps you should adjust your expectations? Also, you're comparing anime originals to an adaptation of a novel...

Quote:
In my opinion this show has suffered from some horrible pacing issues so that may be why. This episode is a perfect example of that. Was it really necessary to devote an entire episode to the Saki and Satoru's snow adventures?
Pacing issues? Wow... you do understand why they're out there, what they're doing and what they've discovered, and that this is going to be very important later on... right? (Also that gliding over snow is pretty much the only way they can get around, I mean what do you want them to do, fly?) If you want by-the-numbers anime writing where every episode has to be a story on its own with a hook so people keep watching then this is not the show for you.

And I never understood people complaining about animation - sure, it could be better but as long as it does its job who cares? Sure, in a show that wants to have flashy images and action and whatnot animation is very important, but here? The only episode so far where the animation was distracting was ep 8, other than that I've had no problems. But then, I survived episode 7. of Kemonozume that was most likely animated by one person with a one-day deadline, so I'll survive anything.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-01-19 at 07:10.
Old 2013-01-19, 07:48   Link #28
Raviel

Quote:

lol XD I hope we'll get a flashback or something so people wanting some wholesome, proper hetero sex can enjoy it, until they realize

Spoiler for novel:

Spoiler for just to be on the safe side:
Old 2013-01-19, 08:17   Link #29
ookamigirl

Flashbacks and memories of childhood days.
Thoughts about society and life.
Still searching for Maria and Mamoru.
Satoru and Saki were restless in their search.
They disappeared without a trace..

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2013-01-19, 08:18   Link #30
cheshire

Quote:

7. of Kemonozume that was most likely animated by one person with a one-day deadline, so I'll survive anything.
...That is sad (and messed up). Although, in this episode it didn't feel like Satoru (Saki was still very much hung up on Maria here which is reasonable) was phonying it up. I thought his actions towards Saki this episode was quite sweet and sincere.
Old 2013-01-19, 08:30   Link #31
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshire View Post
...That is sad (and messed up). Although, in this episode it didn't feel like Satoru (Saki was still very much hung up on Maria here which is reasonable) was phonying it up. I thought his actions towards Saki this episode was quite sweet and sincere.
Oh, he's not phonying anything up, he is very sincere in everything he does for her, and genuinely caring and protective, just how the episode showed. It's just that,
Spoiler for just to be safe:

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-01-19 at 08:58.
Old 2013-01-19, 08:38   Link #32
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Just seen the episode..

Its so soft, touching memories of childhood friendship....*tears

I liked the episode... This is the way it should've been done! Not some fan service crapped!

Now, Maria had decided to moved away with Mamoru. Saki is then going on her on way...

Anyway... we got a glimpsed of the next episode... so its officially them already?
Old 2013-01-19, 09:35   Link #33
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Might seem a little odd given that not a huge amount happened this episode, but I thought this episode was superb. They handled the flashbacks nicely, Maria's letter was very interesting, and Saki and Satoru's search seemed just right. Saki's distressed feelings about only having one person to rely on now were conveyed very well.

I feel really sorry for Maria, given that all the foreshadowing and older Saki's narration shows that bad stuff is going to happen. Maria seems very intelligent in her letter, although I wondered if she was sounding a tad too much like the author's mouthpiece for a moment or two. Her reasons for leaving held up. A pity that things are going to go for a worst case scenario for her and Mamoru, whatever it turns out to be. Her insight into the adults of the village is something I think the series really needed at this point. I also liked her analysis of Saki, that she didn't call her strong but rather able to recover well.

The Queerats didn't have a huge role this time, but such cunning rats are they that they used their screentime well.

I think this episode made the translator's use of "Cantus" sound clumsy. Some of the discussion about the term on the last few pages has a point: it sounded quite out of place in this episode.
Old 2013-01-19, 10:55   Link #34
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

What a sad, beautiful, heartbreaking tragic story this is.

Maria may be an ironic choice to deliver the message based on the foreshadowing, but that doesn't make her condemnation of the society that raised her any less cutting. I think for me, it boils down to this: no society can maintain this sort of approach towards its children without becoming warped and twisted in the process. You might debate whether a society that declares all its children disposable until age 17 might be justified if that’s the only way to perpetuate itself – I would argue no, for the record – but to become the sort of adults that would be willing to do so would require a fundamental loss of humanity in the process.
Old 2013-01-19, 12:41   Link #35
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a heartbreaking and yet beautiful episode. Saki and Maria's respective feelings were perfectly conveyed to the audience. I feel sorry for the both of them.

Maria was more level-headed than I thought. She completely understood the very essence of their society. If it weren't for all the foreshadowing something dreadful is going to happen to her, I would have thought leaving the village was the correct decision. Alas, the outside world is just as twisted. There is no hope for Maria and Mamoru.

Saki and Satoru are now all each other have left in the world now, and naturally, they grew even closer. I wonder if they are going to become a couple, or if their night together was just a one time "bonobo" thing. I suppose we'll find out next week.

I was afraid Saki's seiyuu would change next week, but thankfully, Risa Taneda is still there. She has done a pretty terrific job so far (as have her co-workers, Kana Hanazawa's performance was particularly brilliant in this ep, and for once, I am actually enjoying Yuki Kaji), she's a seiyuu I'm going to look out for.
Old 2013-01-19, 14:11   Link #36
taichi-kun

Kuromitsu,this is all we have to know about the sex scene or there is more?
Old 2013-01-19, 14:18   Link #37
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
1. Dream is a mix of Shun's last link to Saki, and her own intuitive nature. The dream may look like a crazy mess, but the symbolism is pretty clear.
I think it's also because of how Canti work. Shun mentioned how their powers tap into the collective unconscious, so I think that's what is at work here.
Old 2013-01-19, 16:44   Link #38
CJ_Walker

ok, so obviously there was a lot of symbolism in that dream sequence. . .

For the less smart (i.e. me) could someone explain to me what all that meant? (if it's a spoiler just PM me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I think it's also because of how Canti work. Shun mentioned how their powers tap into the collective
unconscious, so I think that's what is at work here.
I guess that's what Satoru was going to say as the second hypothesis, which would explain why Saki is having dreams of shun, cause he's trying to contact her from "collective consciousness"

Satoru said on the origin of cantus in this ep something about that the energy that powers the body (something about glucose) isn't enough to power something as strong as cantus, and that there were two hypothesis, one was that all the cantus used in the solar system can be traced back to the sun, and the second hypothesis. . .well they cut him off before he could say the second hypothesis, but its probably what shadow said that shun said (I don't know which ep he said that though, guess I gotta watch it again)
Old 2013-01-19, 17:05   Link #39
roon
_(:q 」∠)_ _(ФωФ*」∠)_
*Artist

Quote:
Ah, so this was the infamous scene everyone wanted to know about. I've been spoiled enough to know about the upcoming plot twist and this, but luckily I managed to spare myself on how it ends... or I managed to successfully wipe my memory or something.

But yes, don't think I would've been able to deal with another gut punch like that. I was reading your original line as a bit of a double entendre, where either it hurt emotionally or physically, or both. Well, of course it's both, right?!

Think I'll have to make a quick stop to my local Kinokuniya tomorrow to see if they have the novel. Would love to read the original if the adaptation is this good...
Old 2013-01-19, 21:17   Link #40
Kirarakim

I thought this episode was really good. I loved the flashbacks of Maria & Saki, they were beautifully done.

And I liked the bond of Saki & Satoru and no I didn't need to actually see the sex scene. I thought the way they showed it was fine.

I just hope Saki doesn't lose Satoru too.